• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

There is a PC port of Bully: Scholarship edition, so emulating it is a bit of a waste. It is a shame about Xbox emulation never picking up any steam though.

Ceebs said:
There is a PC port of Bully: Scholarship edition, so emulating it is a bit of a waste. It is a shame about Xbox emulation never picking up any steam though.

Yeah, and its a disaster, won't even boot up if you have more than 2GB of RAM apparently! :lol I wouldn't be surprised if an emualted PS2 version ran better. Fucking Rockstar.

spons

Gold Member
Ceebs said:
Although in theory it should be about a hundred times easier to emulate since it was actual PC hardware instead of a completely different architecture like the PS2 (or Cube in a sense that it wasn't x86).

Obsolete Observation said:
So how many import games have english patches available? Are there any games with gamefaq translations that can be converted to patches?

Similar question: Has there ben any english patch for the kingdom hearts final mix games?

Borman

The Xbox isnt 100% PC hardware really, its close, but not quite. Now, if you want to talk about the Alpha development kit like the one I grabbed, then yeah, other then some firmware and such :p

vazel

Banned
A good thing about this emulator is you can play undub games. You take your game and rip the japanese track from the original game and patch that into your game's rip. Gonna play through Radiata Stories soon that way.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Obsolete Observation said:
So how many import games have english patches available? Are there any games with gamefaq translations that can be converted to patches?
The only complete ones i know of are Front Mission 5 and Namco x Capcom.

spons said:
Although in theory it should be about a hundred times easier to emulate since it was actual PC hardware instead of a completely different architecture like the PS2 (or Cube in a sense that it wasn't x86).

Nah, as mentioned, it was still customised somewhat, what with its UMA setup and the fact that the NV2A never saw a PC release, even if it was a hybrid of Geforce 3/4 parts. Games didn't necessarily stick to a specific PC compatible DX subset either, which further complicates things.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
luka said:
Okay, so Ar Tonelico 2 runs pretty well in general. On certain spots of field maps I get a LOT of slowdown. CPU usage shoots from 2% to 99% when there is a town screen that has a moderate number of sprites on it. The overworld map is visually bugged to hell and slow. If I turn on "allow 8-bit textures" it fixes the speed issue but replaces it with graphical errors involving large white boxes around sprites in several scenes. This is on latest public 1888 beta.

AT1 had a few issues with slowdown but I was able to finish it quite comfortably. AT2 the slowdown is more prevalent and severe and looks like it may become an issue. Has anyone else played this recently?

(it certainly doesn't help that the combat system in at2 is a complete mindfuck that literally requires your eyes to be everywhere at once :lol )

Fixed it. Had to enable 8-bit textures and run in DX9. Experimenting with the ridiculous number of plugins and config options to find the sweet spot for every single game is exhausting. :(

Borman

Then again, Xbox, or not? (Hint : Yes, sort of, like I mentioned :p)
img_1067.jpg

Borman said:
Then again, Xbox, or not? (Hint : Yes, sort of, like I mentioned :p)
img_1067.jpg

What GPU did those things pack? A standard off the shelf Geforce 3 Ti? How was the RAM setup as well if you don't mind me asking?

Alpha development kits for the 360 were G5 towers w/ an X800 and dual G5s iirc. Something along those lines anyway.

M3d10n

brain_stew said:
What GPU did those things pack? A standard off the shelf Geforce 3 Ti? How was the RAM setup as well if you don't mind me asking?

Alpha development kits for the 360 were G5 towers w/ an X800 and dual G5s iirc. Something along those lines anyway.
Doesn't change the fact that the any PC CPU can run Xbox code natively and that Shader Model 3.0 can make up for whatever feature the Xbox GPU had beyond a vanilla GF3.

The most drastic difference is the unified memory, but every other emulator that uses HLE need to deal with the fact the original hardware could access VRAM in ways a PC cannot.

M3d10n said:
Doesn't change the fact that the any PC CPU can run Xbox code natively and that Shader Model 3.0 can make up for whatever feature the Xbox GPU had beyond a vanilla GF3.

The most drastic difference is the unified memory, but every other emulator that uses HLE need to deal with the fact the original hardware could access VRAM in ways a PC cannot.

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure of that. If any developer didn't stick to a strict subset of DX calls compatible witht he PC equivalent and instead exploted the hardware more directly there's plenty of potential for incompatibilities. Your average multiplatform shovelware title should be easy enough but something like Ninja Gaiden will likely be a lot trickier and its ultimately titles that fall into the latter category that people actually want to play.

The majority of Xbox games worth caring about received decent PC ports anyway, so there's not as much motivation to emualate the system.

Borman

brain_stew said:

I want to say its a Geforce Ti 500 with custom firmware. Video card has 64mb of ram, system has 128mb of RD-Ram in one slot, and just a terminator in the second.

Ceebs

brain_stew said:
Yeah, and its a disaster, won't even boot up if you have more than 2GB of RAM apparently! :lol I wouldn't be surprised if an emualted PS2 version ran better. Fucking Rockstar.
I had no idea it was that bad. That is terrible.

vazel

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:
can i get a card that does ps2 emulation at peak performance with hdmi output for sub $100?
Very few ps2 games on pcsx2 are heavy on the gpu. Your issues will come with the cpu. My internal resolution on my ati 4850 is at 2048x2048 and when I get slowdown lowering that resolution doesn't help at all because it's the cpu that's the problem(e5200@3.3GHz).

vazel said:
Very few ps2 games on pcsx2 are heavy on the gpu. You're issues will come with the cpu. My internal resolution is at 2048x2048 and when I get slowdown lowering that resolution doesn't help at all because it's the cpu that's the problem(e5200@3.3GHz).

i have an intel core 2 6400 @2.14ghz...how does that fare?

vazel

Banned
You're going to need to try to overclock that to at least 3GHz if you want good performance. But keep in mind that I don't think any cpu today can run every game smoothly.

xemumanic

Gyoru said:
Here are some FFXII IZJS screens.

1920x1200 @ constant 60/60 FPS :D

What settings did you use to get this running? The game crashes for me right after I set things up in the menu (aspect ratio, stereo, etc).

B.K.

I'm trying to get this running on my computer, but I'm having problems. Half the time, it says it can't load ZeroGS.dll. When I don't get that error, I get an error that says it can't load the memory cards.

ArjanN

B.K. said:
I'm trying to get this running on my computer, but I'm having problems. Half the time, it says it can't load ZeroGS.dll. When I don't get that error, I get an error that says it can't load the memory cards.

Update your DirectX.

Also, make sure you have selected the right folders and plugins in the settings.

B.K. said:

If you have Vista or W7 don't install the program in the Program Files folder. Put it somewhere else. That will prob fix your mem card error.

B.K.

AdawgDaFAB said:
If you have Vista or W7 don't install the program in the Program Files folder. Put it somewhere else. That will prob fix your mem card error.

I see. That's probably it. I'm on WIndows 7 64bit and it installed in Program Files(x86) folder.

B.K.

I'm having some problems. No matter what I do, PCSX2 refuses to be installed in Program Files. It keeps installing in Program Files(x86). Even when I tell it to install in the Program Files directory, it keeps going to the other one.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
B.K. said:
I'm having some problems. No matter what I do, PCSX2 refuses to be installed in Program Files. It keeps installing in Program Files(x86). Even when I tell it to install in the Program Files directory, it keeps going to the other one.

That's normal. The regular program files directory is reserved for 64bit apps. It's enforced by the system. Don't try to install things there.

Havig trouble trying to get this thing working on Windows 7. I keep getting this GSsoftdx.dll in NULL error and I can't start it. I've installed the latest C++ thing and DirectX says I'm running the newest version so I'm not really sure what to do after that because that's all the PCSX2 forums could recommend on a light search.
Any help please?

RS4-

Damn, the Front Mission 5 graphical glitches are brutal :(

Actually how are you guys taking screenshots? Fraps? or just using print screen and cropping them?

Dash

Here are some FFX-2 pics I took on the latest r1888 beta, with the newest revision of GSdx released 5 days ago. Click to enlarge.

Shouta

RS4- said:
Damn, the Front Mission 5 graphical glitches are brutal :(

Actually how are you guys taking screenshots? Fraps? or just using print screen and cropping them?

There'll be a screenshot button, I think it's F5.

Josh7289

This emulator is witchcraft!

After some monkey business with configuring it, I can't believe I actually had my FFXII disc running on my PC at 1080p. Witchcraft, I say.

Very very very much looking forward to future optimizations and improvements that the developers manage to make.

Wish I could get Yakuza running ok on this. I was playing through it for the first time on my PS3 and it ran fine until a freeze on chapter 10. For some reason I can't copy the save onto my memory card either so I guess I have to start it all again :(

EGM92

Anyone able to post the best video plugin revision to get FFXII to run without graphical glitches and what would be the best settings?

Also is it at all possible to convert saves from a PS2 memory card and transfer it to this emu? I'm a couple of hours away from finishing Phantom Brave (which is 100% perfect on this emu) and I don't want to start over.

Thanks!

Fox the Sly

EGM92 said:
Anyone able to post the best video plugin revision to get FFXII to run without graphical glitches and what would be the best settings?

Also is it at all possible to convert saves from a PS2 memory card and transfer it to this emu? I'm a couple of hours away from finishing Phantom Brave (which is 100% perfect on this emu) and I don't want to start over.

Thanks!

I use mymc and uLaunchELF on PS2 to convert saves back and forth, but here's a guide.

http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6850

Also, who is the chick in your avatar?

Aru

Dash said:
Here are some FFX-2 pics I took on the latest r1888 beta, with the newest revision of GSdx released 5 days ago. Click to enlarge.

Nice :D

Now I want FFX and FFX-2 remakes :(

Gyoru

Just compiled PCSX2-r2410

Choose between:
Update (extract over an existing PCSX2 0.97svn directory)
Full (includes everything except BIOS)

The full package should have most of the settings I use intact. Make a backup of your pcsx2.ini if you're upgrading from the legacy PCSX2 GUI.

image-CDEC_4B38779B.jpg
image-FDDE_4B38779B.jpg

image-39F8_4B38779B.jpg
image-DAF6_4B38779B.jpg

EGM92

I got the latest revision of the emulator, but everytime I load a game I get a "GS OUTPUT IS DISABLED!" Message before the game starts up. Is this normal?

And are there any good pre configured controller plugins for a 360 pad? Everytime I try to map it the analog sticks are always off center making everything spin.

RS4-

EGM92 said:
I got the latest revision of the emulator, but everytime I load a game I get a "GS OUTPUT IS DISABLED!" Message before the game starts up. Is this normal?

And are there any good pre configured controller plugins for a 360 pad? Everytime I try to map it the analog sticks are always off center making everything spin.

had the same problem with the GS OUTPUT thing, so I ended up just deleting the new pcsx ini and going back to my old one and running 9.4.6 again

I'll updating my DX runtime and try the new build and see if that makes any difference. Only game I'm playing is FM5 anyway.

MNC

Gyoru said:

Choose between:

The full package should have most of the settings I use intact. Make a backup of your pcsx2.ini if you're upgrading from the legacy PCSX2 GUI.

image-CDEC_4B38779B.jpg
image-FDDE_4B38779B.jpg

image-39F8_4B38779B.jpg
image-DAF6_4B38779B.jpg
Do savestates/memcards die again if I use this?

Dash

I have to say what a pleasure it's been playing FFX-2 on this. I tend to be rather impatient, so being able to disable frame-limiting and get 120-160FPS to get past repetitive battles/dialogue/long walking distances at almost 3x the speed is amazing. It'll make going through all of the PS2's classic RPG's that much easier. Plus I don't know if I could go back to an HD RPG now without having access to this feature and save states.

The only problem I have for FFX-2 is that whenever an enemy casts fire (but not any other spell), it slows the emulator down from a perfect 60FPS to 30-40FPS for a 1-1.5 seconds. Yuna's dress is also messed up outside battles, in that the geometry is off, but this seems like a universal problem. Finally, I sometimes get ghosting during battles, but I heard this was due to the archaic way PS2 games tried to do depth of field. Anyone know any solutions to these (admittedly small) annoyances?

MNC said:
Do savestates/memcards die again if I use this?

I've had this happen. You can always go back to the old version if it does.

EGM92 said:

Are you sure you're using the latest version of Lillypad? The 360 pad works 100% perfect for me, although I recall when I tried the emulator a year ago on my old PC with Kingdom Hearts 2, the 360 pad analog sticks were off like you said, so I'm guessing you're using an old version of Lillypad.

Gyoru said:

Thanks man, you rock for this. I tried for hours to get the latest non-compiled version on their google repository, but as a non-member it wouldn't work (and after days of waiting, they still haven't accepted my forum registration). Also, how did you get the 2 SW rendering threads? It defaults to 1 for me, and I can't see how to change that.

SOLDIER

Gyoru said:

Choose between:

image-CDEC_4B38779B.jpg
image-FDDE_4B38779B.jpg

image-39F8_4B38779B.jpg
image-DAF6_4B38779B.jpg

Between this and r1888, which is the more stable build?

Dash

SOLDIER said:
Between this and r1888, which is the more stable build?

It probably depends on the game. Often when they fix one issue, another new one arises in a different game. Also, r1888 is the latest public build, so I'd imagine it's more stable than all the subsequent self-compiled versions. Just give it a shot if you're not getting the performance you want from r1888.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom