• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

I asked about this bluetooth dongle before, but didn't get an answer.

What can I do with this thing? Will I be able to use a PS3 controller, rumble included? Wiimote too?

Does it also work with Bluetooth headsets, and if so, can the headset be used like a mic for PC gaming?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Recently started playing SH3 on the emu, it's really nice though I wish I could get it to be 16:9 native. Anyways the game works really well, D3D10 has some bugs so I use D3D9 (it has a lot less).

Used FRAPS to capture the screen, but of course it slowed down the FPS to 30-40. Used the Half-Size option and it was a lot better, maxes at 60, but still some slowdowns occur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPLn5wHD3Qc

Anyone know of any tips to improve that?

SOLDIER said:

What can I do with this thing? Will I be able to use a PS3 controller, rumble included? Wiimote too?

Does it also work with Bluetooth headsets, and if so, can the headset be used like a mic for PC gaming?
On the MotioninJoy (one of the DS3/Sixaxis drivers) site that dongle was "supported" in one of the treads but I got it and it didn't work for me for some reason :/ The dongle installs but the control doesn't do anything after I disconnect it from the USB. The control should work identical to using USB, so yes it should rumble.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
So I'm playing through Ar Tonelico (just finished phase 1) and it runs really well throughout, but on the world map I get mad slowdown whenever the tower is in view. It doesn't run the game but it's an annoyance. Ideas?

Xavien

Sanjay said:
I'm running Pcsx2 0.9.7.r2283, I can get it running but I can't get it locked down at 60FPS no matter what I do. Anything I can try to get it running like the video you posted?

My PC Specs
E8400 @ 3.8ghz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 260 216 Core, Windows 7 64 bit OS.

I know its a little late but, press the TAB key and it'll enable framelimiting in a limited fashion.

pcsx2 0.9.7 is really incomplete atm, so i wouldn't recommend it unless you want to bug test.

SOLDIER said:

Depends on your Operating System, x86 operating systems will be fine, but i've yet to see a working solution for x64 operating systems (with bluetooth, USB cable connected works fine). The Wiimote however can work if you get the right bluetooth stack (Bluesoliel, Widcomm, Microsoft or Toshiba) that works with your dongle. If you want a wireless pad for the emulator, i would recommend the xbox 360 controller for windows, the lilypad plugin even has support for the special XInput calls, plus the rumble works flawlessly.

Thaedolus said:
Sheeeeit. I've been meaning to finally play through FFXII before FFXIII comes out, how is the sound emulation? My PS3 is a slim, so I'm left with my PS2 slim or perhaps emulation, if it's viable...

I've yet to tell the difference between the PS2 native and the emulator in sound. The SPU2-X plugin works really well.

Thaedolus

Sheeeeit. I've been meaning to finally play through FFXII before FFXIII comes out, how is the sound emulation? My PS3 is a slim, so I'm left with my PS2 slim or perhaps emulation, if it's viable...

Chairhome

It just looks so beautiful!

I started playing FFX-2, but the videos don't work well :-/. As far as I know, there's no fix. Looks great though!

rbenchley

Dash said:
You'd think FFXII was the only game that ran on this thing based on this thread :lol
Except maybe for Silent Hill 3, there really isn't a better example of how beautiful PS2 games can look with a higher resolution and some anti-aliasing.

ArjanN

Dash said:
You'd think FFXII was the only game that ran on this thing based on this thread :lol

It's the same thing with most emulators. For the PS2 it seems people only want to test (aka complain about bugs/incomplete emulation) Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts and God of War.

With the Nintendo emulators people only whine about if Mario and Zelda work yet.

Ugh.

Dash

rbenchley said:
Except maybe for Silent Hill 3, there really isn't a better example of how beautiful PS2 games can look with a higher resolution and some anti-aliasing.

Except for Valkyrie Profile 2, which is arguably better looking than those two titles, yet you never see any pictures for it.

Oi, I just ordered an Phenom X3 720 and a new mobo that has a 2600mhz FSB. I hope that's enough to run a few games almost full speed. I need my Metal Gear fix...

rbenchley

riceandbeans said:
Oi, I just ordered an Phenom X3 720 and a new mobo that has a 2600mhz FSB. I hope that's enough to run a few games almost full speed. I need my Metal Gear fix...
It should run pretty well if you overclock your CPU. You can get it up around 3.3ghz at normal voltage and possibly as high as 3.7ghz if you take the voltage up to 1.5v. Be sure to apply some Arctic Silver and upgrade the stock heatsink and fan.

rbenchley said:
It should run pretty well if you overclock your CPU. You can get it up around 3.3ghz at normal voltage and possibly as high as 3.7ghz if you take the voltage up to 1.5v. Be sure to apply some Arctic Silver and upgrade the stock heatsink and fan.

And with the right mobo and ideal Phenom II X3 720 processor, unlock the 4th core with he's at it.

Ceebs

Dash said:
It has some graphical issues during cutscenes, but I probably just have the settings wrong. You do need hefty PC or an overclocked CPU to run this one though.

spxj75.jpg

2n4rvs.jpg

3502k3o.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
Ceebs said:
It has some graphical issues during cutscenes, but I probably just have the settings wrong. You do need hefty PC or an overclocked CPU to run this one though.

Wow makes me wanna play again.

Mind getting a shot of nibelung valesti?

Dash said:
Except for Valkyrie Profile 2, which is arguably better looking than those two titles, yet you never see any pictures for it.

Not to mention it runs in 1080i native on a real PS2
in japan you bastards

Only problem I have with the Ps2 emulator is input lag.

Dash

Ceebs said:

What are your PC specs? And I thought all Tri-Ace games required some special complicated fix to get them working? Or are you just running PCSX2 0.9.6 with the standard plug-ins?

Ha, man... all these new parts don't even seem worth it anymore. A 3.7ghz OC? That's crazy, I'd need one of those huge Zalman 120mm heatsinks to cool the CPU down. Unlocking the 4th core isn't always a good idea either. From what I read, the 4th cores are actually damaged cores from quad-Phenom's and they cut the damaged core and sell it as an X3. Unlocking it could potentially fry your CPU down the road. I should just buy a damn PS2.

Dash

riceandbeans said:
Ha, man... all these new parts don't even seem worth it anymore. A 3.7ghz OC? That's crazy, I'd need one of those huge Zalman 120mm heatsinks to cool the CPU down. Unlocking the 4th core isn't always a good idea either. From what I read, the 4th cores are actually damaged cores from quad-Phenom's and they cut the damaged core and sell it as an X3. Unlocking it could potentially fry your CPU down the road. I should just buy a damn PS2.

PCSX2 only can take advantage of two cores. Further, 3.7 Ghz is quite doable on a budget HSI.

Ceebs

Ferrio said:
Wow makes me wanna play again.

Mind getting a shot of nibelung valesti?
I just loaded that up to grab some shots since someone asked. If I end fixing some of the issues I may play through and get some more screens.

Dash said:
What are your PC specs? And I thought all Tri-Ace games required some special complicated fix to get them working? Or are you just running PCSX2 0.9.6 with the standard plug-ins?

I have a Phenom II X2 550 @stock speeds (3.10ghz), ATI 4870, 4gigs of ram

The game runs 100% in battle, but~50 fps outside of battle. I can get it 100% for sure with a bit of OC, but there are some strange vertical bars during cutscenes, and the forest area at the beginning gives off graphical glitches. I'll report back if I can get it up and going at full speed and without the bugs.

riceandbeans said:

Your CPU will run everything just as well if not better than mine. Throw a aftermarket heatsink and fan on there and bump up the clock speed. 3.7 is cakewalk on the X3.

Dash

Ceebs said:
I have a Phenom II X2 550 @stock speeds (3.10ghz), ATI 4870, 4gigs of ram

The game runs 100% in battle, but~50 fps outside of battle. I can get it 100% for sure with a bit of OC, but there are some strange vertical bars during cutscenes, and the forest area at the beginning gives off graphical glitches. I'll report back if I can get it up and going at full speed and without the bugs.

Excellent. My newly arrived OC'ed i5 should make short work of VP2 then after I finish installing it :).

Have you tried any other Tri-Ace games?

Ceebs

Dash said:
Excellent. My newly arrived OC'ed i5 should make short work of VP2 then after I finish installing it :).

Have you tried any other Tri-Ace games?
Nah, this is the only one I have. Was not fond of Star Ocean, and traded off Radiata a while back.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
ZephyrFate said:
If someone could put up some pics of Shadow Hearts: FTNW at a fantastic resolution with 4x AA/AF, that would be awesome. It was always my contender for best looking game on PS2 3D-wise. Odin Sphere, however, always has everything else on PS2 beat.

So I realize you asked this over a month ago, but I started a-fixin' to play some Shadow Hearts for no adequately explainable reason, so better late than never. It doesn't hold up as well as I'd expected.

I'm going to transfer my saves from my physical memory card to something PCSX2 can use, but until then here are some bits from the beginning of the game.

sh3-1.jpg

Johnny meeting The Penguin.

sh3-2.jpg

Johnny and Lenny showing off their grounded electrical outlets. Johnny was into electrical safety long before Louie the Lightning Bug made it cool.

sh3-4.jpg

Johnny meeting a suspiciously modern speed limit sign.

sh3-5.jpg

I like how the signs in the far back left of the area are crystal clear, but the sign in plain view immediately above the Geppetto and Cornelia sign is a blurry mess. That's the sort of outside the box thinking you expect from Shadow Hearts. I also harbor certain doubts about the strict historical accuracy of Buigen's motorcycle.

Hey guys, just jumping into pcxs 2 for the first time. What graphic plugins do you guys use? If there's just a first tie setup guide out there, that would be perfect.
I've got a quad core 3.2Ghz , 4Gb ram, and a gtx 260.
Also running 0.9.6, if that matters.

Dash

Gyoru said:

Wow, you rock! Those were some of the games I wanted to see the most. How do Dark Cloud 2, Grandia 3 and Rogue Galaxy run? I heard they're some of the more demanding games in terms of CPU power.

Gyoru

Dash said:
Wow, you rock! Those were some of the games I wanted to see the most. How do Dark Cloud 2, Grandia 3 and Rogue Galaxy run? I heard they're some of the more demanding games in terms of CPU power.
Dark Cloud 2 runs perfectly fluid from what I've seen. Grandia 3 is pretty stable throughout.
Rogue Galaxy is the most demanding of the three you listed. I get 60 FPS most of the time in the latest 0.97 svn. There's a slight stutter/dip in framerate when a battle initiates, but it's pretty smooth overall.

Dash

Gyoru said:
Dark Cloud 2 runs perfectly fluid from what I've seen. Grandia 3 is pretty stable throughout.
Rogue Galaxy is the most demanding of the three you listed. I get 60 FPS most of the time in the latest 0.97 svn. There's a slight stutter/dip in framerate when a battle initiates, but it's pretty smooth overall.

Impressive. How much are you overclocking your PC to do that? Further, I thought 0.97 was less stable than 0.96. Did they optimize it?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Dash said:
Impressive. How much are you overclocking your PC to do that? Further, I thought 0.97 was less stable than 0.96. Did they optimize it?
I posted some pics a while ago
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16937045&postcount=41

DC2 ran alright with me on an 8400/4850. I had some hiccups and the carnival part in the beginning was a bit slow. But if you just want to play through it and don't put the resolution that high you'll have no problem.

It looks BEAUTIFUL when upscaled tho so I just played with the slow parts. I also had the text in game going a bit weird on me but I heard you can fix that

Ceebs

Oh man, Dark Cloud 2 looks amazing, same with Tales. The flat character shading makes them look phenomenal rendered at that resolution.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Not to mention it runs in 1080i native on a real PS2
in japan you bastards

Wait wait wait wait wait. Since when did VP2 run in 1080i at all, let alone on the Japanese version?

EDIT: after some light Googling apparently activating the 480p screen (triangle+Cross like usual) then hitting up,left,right in that sequence three times then L1,R1,square will activate it, but only on the Japanese version. If this is true, so help me...

Dash

Teetris said:
I posted some pics a while ago
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16937045&postcount=41

DC2 ran alright with me on an 8400/4850. I had some hiccups and the carnival part in the beginning was a bit slow. But if you just want to play through it and don't put the resolution that high you'll have no problem.

It looks BEAUTIFUL when upscaled tho so I just played with the slow parts. I also had the text in game going a bit weird on me but I heard you can fix that

Very nice! The parts for my new PC can't come soon enough.

A few other games that I'd like to see more of if anyone has any pics: Suikoden V, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Star Ocean 3, any Ratchet game (I know they have serious bugs...).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Okay, so Ar Tonelico 2 runs pretty well in general. On certain spots of field maps I get a LOT of slowdown. CPU usage shoots from 2% to 99% when there is a town screen that has a moderate number of sprites on it. The overworld map is visually bugged to hell and slow. If I turn on "allow 8-bit textures" it fixes the speed issue but replaces it with graphical errors involving large white boxes around sprites in several scenes. This is on latest public 1888 beta.

AT1 had a few issues with slowdown but I was able to finish it quite comfortably. AT2 the slowdown is more prevalent and severe and looks like it may become an issue. Has anyone else played this recently?

(it certainly doesn't help that the combat system in at2 is a complete mindfuck that literally requires your eyes to be everywhere at once :lol )

Ceebs

SOLDIER said:
Is there a link? Is it finished?
The only links I ever saw for it were a prepatched ISO. I am sure you can find just the patch if you search though. I think all the main stuff is done, there are a few menu titles and stuff that have not been changed yet though.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Gyoru said:
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song

Last time I tried Minstrel Song a while back it was unplayably glitchy. Glad to see it's improved a lot since I last checked.

Dwayne

Blows my mind how advanced PS2 and Gamecube emulation is, while Xbox emulation hasn't really been worked on seriously in the last 5 years.

Looking forward to getting a flash PC one day and trying this out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom