• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am still hoping Sisters VR and Face Your Fear will be releasing on HTC Vive and Oculus Rift one day.

Lakuza

I am still hoping Sisters VR and Face Your Fear will be releasing on HTC Vive and Oculus Rift one day.

sisters vr is pretty bad, there are better horror options (when I played it on gear vr, it was just a doll teleporting everywhere until it sits to your right and screams. lasts about 5 minutes at most).

Face your fears is a weird situation since it is available on the rift store but I only just found out that there are no dlc doors, just the original 2. Checking their forums out the devs are focused on the gear vr version as the platform priority, so we probably won't see any of those doors on the rift this year (spider, snake, crows, buried alive & sci fi trash compactor).

Putosaure

Yeah, you can get it from the Oculus Store and play it from here, on Rift or Vive through ReVive. Tried the skyscraper and yawned, but the other door was quite interesting. As I'm not a fan of easy jumpscares I didn't tried the three stories on that second door, but definitely be interested in those DLC scenarii.

kinggroin

Banned
sisters vr is pretty bad, there are better horror options (when I played it on gear vr, it was just a doll teleporting everywhere until it sits to your right and screams. lasts about 5 minutes at most).

Face your fears is a weird situation since it is available on the rift store but I only just found out that there are no dlc doors, just the original 2. Checking their forums out the devs are focused on the gear vr version as the platform priority, so we probably won't see any of those doors on the rift this year (spider, snake, crows, buried alive & sci fi trash compactor).

There is a Sisters demo for Vive, and it's a tad cooler than that shitty cardboard version. Though you're still right, there are better options anyway

Played a bit of Obduction and I really have to say that its cool in VR, but has a lot of problems especially when it comes to aliasing. The patches of grass really hurt my eyes and the motion controls arent that great imo.
Also the teleportation system is not that good imo. You can only teleport where you would walk unless in other games where I can teleport everywhere I can stand. So even if I am on a slope with an artificial barrier so you wont fall down, you have to teleport the whole way back instead of just facing down.

Also the performance is not that good. Apparently it loads textures and other stuff while you walk, similar to Metroid Prime, but while I guess in Non-VR you have enough time to load while walking, when you are quickly teleporting somewhere, it sometimes stutters because its loading some textures.

ArtHands

Well that's just the demo. They said they were going to expand into a full game but sadly didnt materialized. At its current demo stage, It'll serve as a good quick introductory VR app. Kind of like waltz of the wizard or google tiltbrush.

Face your Fear looks like it is doing this "short episodic experience" well so far.

SomTervo

Posted this is the tech discussion thread by accident:

Not sure if it got picked up here, but Organ Quarter has been delayed because the lead dev is based in east/south-east Florida. Spent the best part of the last week shuttering everything. I think he just lost power.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-ga/posts/1984157?ref=backer_project_update

We were on track for release this month and everything. No idea how long power will be out for. Could stay up the whole time, got go down for 1-2 weeks, could go down for a whole month. We've got some contingency in case of that.

Organ Quarter is delayed for at least several weeks due to incoming hurricane irma. hopefully Outer Brain Studios will see it through.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ic-survival-horror-adventure-ga/posts/1984157

Oh hey thanks AH

BLKTMNT

So i saw on a couple tech sites that Google is in the final stages of buying HTC.

What do yall think that will mean for HTC Vive.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just tried Minecraft VR for the first time and holy shit, this changes so much about how I feel about VR

Wow. Yeah I finally tried Vivecraft thanks to this post and it was awesome. Really immersive. I made a little hut underground and put gate around the entrance. I got the shit scared out of me by a spider. Which was not cool at all. Gonna go spelunking in a few minutes.

The performance is a little weird but I guess its just since its the java version or whatever. Swimming is really neat. I was doggy paddling and instinctively did a big breast stroke and was delighted to see my character burst forward with a rush of speed. Really great stuff going on there.

solaaire

Neo Member
Is there a convenient way to switch between refresh rates? I'm constantly in the NVIDIA Control Panel swapping between 144hz for regular gaming on a gsync monitor and 60hz for Oculus. There has to be a better way! I notice there are some per-application settings, but I could not find a workable solution taking that route either. Am I missing something here?

Also the NVIDIA Control Panel is starting to feel ancient.

vermadas

Is there a convenient way to switch between refresh rates? I'm constantly in the NVIDIA Control Panel swapping between 144hz for regular gaming on a gsync monitor and 60hz for Oculus. There has to be a better way! I notice there are some per-application settings, but I could not find a workable solution taking that route either. Am I missing something here?

Also the NVIDIA Control Panel is starting to feel ancient.

I have a 144Hz monitor and Rift connected at the same time. What problems are you experiencing that's making you have to switch back and forth? Are you just worried about the potential extra perf hit from apps being displayed on the screen at high FPS while in the headset?

Lakuza

has anyone had any experience with creating steam environments (or steamVR environments) to be used as the home environment?

I've tried a few interesting ones that are featured when using steam vr (but just to visit them) like the Doctor's Tardis. Kinda inspired to make one myself as my next "free time" project (currently working on a vr animation using animVR so can't start straight away).

Lakuza

https://labrodex.com/projects/
Labrodex is creating some VR games. But no titles yet

The screenshots of their sci fi shooter look pretty good and its nice to see another rpg game on the horizon too :) Tried to see what else they've worked on but their site doesn't list any so not sure how good these devs are (they seem like a company that others outsource work to so these vr games could be their first games?)

has anyone had any experience with creating steam environments (or steamVR environments) to be used as the home environment?

I've tried a few interesting ones that are featured when using steam vr (but just to visit them) like the Doctor's Tardis. Kinda inspired to make one myself as my next "free time" project (currently working on a vr animation using animVR so can't start straight away).

The guy that made Vertigo has 2 small basic videos on that (using Blender):
One
Two

There is probably more detailed stuff on youtube from other people aswell.

ArtHands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIYUblYTFII
Titanic VR coming in weeks

The Wizards VR getting free locomotion today

Seeking Evil: The Wendigo exits early release today on Steam

Echo Grotto coming 20th Sep
http://store.steampowered.com/app/705870/Echo_Grotto/

The screenshots of their sci fi shooter look pretty good and its nice to see another rpg game on the horizon too :) Tried to see what else they've worked on but their site doesn't list any so not sure how good these devs are (they seem like a company that others outsource work to so these vr games could be their first games?)

I am not familiar with them myself too. Hope we will hear more from them

ArtHands

Theseus coming to Vive and Rift with several graphical improvements.

Gather round, folks: announcement day!
We are happy to announce that our mythical adventure #Theseus will launch on PC this Fall, on #OculusRift and #HTCVive. Formerly released for #PlayStationVR, Theseus focuses on atmosphere and storytelling, with a 3rd person Virtual Reality format that can engage the players in new and innovative ways.
To have a taste of what's coming to your computers, take a look at the comparison shot below: this new version of the game comes with several improvements to shadows, textures and overall resolution, with adjustable settings for high-end performance!
Learn more on Theseus on our website: http://www.theseus-vr.com
21728259_1556456737711054_9020582938280438280_n.jpg

Lakuza

The guy that made Vertigo has 2 small basic videos on that (using Blender):
One
Two

There is probably more detailed stuff on youtube from other people aswell.

Thanks, good to know we can use external 3d packages to work on them. Makes it a whole lot easier, now I just need time lol.

Theseus coming to Vive and Rift with several graphical improvements.

21728259_1556456737711054_9020582938280438280_n.jpg

Heard good things about this but that it was also really short too. Cool to see more psvr games are starting to make their way over to pc vr now.

vermadas

Artkika.1 is now available for pre-order on Oculus Store - $29.99 USD with 10% pre-order discount. Releases October 10.

Oculus had promised a big title every month, but looks like we'll get none in September and two in October instead. Brass Tactics releases October 19.

Lakuza

Made some more soundboxing challenges:

Gangnam Style - PSY - Quite happy with this one, I actually used the gangam dance for the chorus as part of the beatmap lol XD
X-Encounter - Maon Kurasaki (1st opening for Tokyo Ravens anime)
- This amv vid was the only full version of the song I could find that wasn't changed in pitch.
Crypt of the Necrodancer OST - Disco Descent (1-1)
Crow Song - Girl Dead monster (From Angel beats Anime)

(starting to see some of my songs get played by others now which is great :D)

Artkika.1 is now available for pre-order on Oculus Store - $29.99 USD with 10% pre-order discount. Releases October 10.

Oculus had promised a big title every month, but looks like we'll get none in September and two in October instead. Brass Tactics releases October 19.

Wasn't expecting it to be that cheap (thought it was gonna be a full priced one like non vr games). Will wait for previews before pre-ordering since I wasn't a fan of the node based teleportation when it was revealed.

solaaire

Neo Member
I have a 144Hz monitor and Rift connected at the same time. What problems are you experiencing that's making you have to switch back and forth? Are you just worried about the potential extra perf hit from apps being displayed on the screen at high FPS while in the headset?

Whenever I try to use the Rift w/ monitor set to 144hz the performance is usually so bad that it is unplayable! Fortunately, switching to 60hz always resolve this issue. Is this a non-issue for most people?

Shifty

Whew, the final mission of House of the Dying Sun is really something. Highly recommended for Dune and Battlestar fans.

Warping in and seeing the DESTROY objective marker on a massive fucking planet was a proper Oh Shit moment. As was watching my capital ship rain death upon it amidst a sick space dogfight. I said goddamn.
The multiple endings and lore stuff about the Dragon was super cool as well.

Just tried Minecraft VR for the first time and holy shit, this changes so much about how I feel about VR

Wow. Yeah I finally tried Vivecraft thanks to this post and it was awesome. Really immersive. I made a little hut underground and put gate around the entrance. I got the shit scared out of me by a spider. Which was not cool at all. Gonna go spelunking in a few minutes.

Have you guys experienced any eyestrain while playing Minecraft in VR? I tried it when I first got my rift (both the oculus store and vivecraft versions) and the menu depth ended up giving me a headache every time.
That was before I got my prescription lenses though, to be fair. I should probably give it another shot.

Whenever I try to use the Rift w/ monitor set to 144hz the performance is usually so bad that it is unplayable! Fortunately, switching to 60hz always resolve this issue. Is this a non-issue for most people?

I have a 144hz g-sync monitor hooked up alongside my Rift and haven't had any performance trouble. What CPU/GPU do you have? I'm running a i7 3770k and GTX 1080.
It sounds like some sort of driver quirk rather than the monitor hogging performance, since the HMD should be dictating the framerate target and then copying the result to the monitor rather than having your GPU render the same stuff twice.

Gangnam Style - PSY - Quite happy with this one, I actually used the gangam dance for the chorus as part of the beatmap lol XD

Not gon' lie you might have just sold me on a copy of Soundboxing. That looks way tighter and more fun than Audioshield.

Lakuza

Not gon' lie you might have just sold me on a copy of Soundboxing. That looks way tighter and more fun than Audioshield.

I still play audioshield a lot too, there's more depth in it than soundboxing and theres a beatmap guarenteed to every song I want to try unlike soundboxing.

Soundboxing is a good companion game to audioshield in my opinion, with its strength being in creating your own beatmaps and playing beatmaps made by others. As a result, soundboxing has beat maps representing the song better thanks to user created content (I've played some beatmaps made by others that have made me smile or laugh whilst playing them so much that the headset goes blurry lol). It also makes better use of room scale since the orbs do not fly towards the middle of the playspace, so you may often jump from one side of the playspace to the other (but all orbs are within your field of vision). It also allows you to reduce the scale of the playspace in game in case you dont have room to move about, but this is noted on your scores in the leaderboards.

But playing audioshield on elite is still my preference for challenge. I actually do "dance offs" with friends and family where we compete on the same songs in elite mode.
Whilst the orbs fly towards the middle of the playspace, it'll often have some coming in from just outside your field of vision which makes it harder to land perfect scores as you constantly need to check to your left and right when possible (especially on elite).

tl:dr = Get both games, they are both awesome. Audioshield = best for challenge , soundboxing = best for "just fun"

Lakuza

Onward free weekend on September 14th to September 17th:

Onward Dev on steam said:
Try out Onward for free this weekend, and join us on the battlefield!

Also, we have a lot of new content coming out in September and October, and can't wait to share it with you guys! (New maps, and more!)

Best,

Dante

http://steamcommunity.com/games/496240/announcements/detail/1442697866936320993

pretty awesome news, heard so many good things about this so will definately try this.

solaaire

Neo Member
I have a 144hz g-sync monitor hooked up alongside my Rift and haven't had any performance trouble. What CPU/GPU do you have? I'm running a i7 3770k and GTX 1080.
It sounds like some sort of driver quirk rather than the monitor hogging performance, since the HMD should be dictating the framerate target and then copying the result to the monitor rather than having your GPU render the same stuff twice.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried troubleshooting it a bit when I first got the rift, but at some point I started to rationalize the behavior as a quirk early adopters had to deal with. Glad to hear that I'm wrong - gonna get to the bottom of this!

Lakuza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQZNOeW0FuI
Bright Memory is a new upcoming game that will launch next year. Will have optional vr
Apparently its done by just one person

Wow, was not expecting that :O That looks awesome. The first time he uses the magic/ability on the lion followed by the multiple slashes was great. Really hope the optional vr is not tacked on and makes full use of the vr controls as this might be a day 1 buy for me.

Here's the launch trailer for Dimension Hunter. Should be releasing very soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8MGEwzGcms

This one looks really cool too.

Lakuza

Did some light research into Bright Memory for any details on the vr support.

Looks like it only has basic vr support and has no motion control support, so its closer to alien isolation mod but in this case its the default vr support offered by Unreal Engine 4:
FYQD (dev) said:
Bright Memory only supports the XBOX controller and the mouse keyboard,so it can only be used in Oculus devices,for the dollar is not too expensive

source: https://forums.unrealengine.com/com...-【bright-memory】fps-action-game-trailer/page5 (also some screenshots on the 1st page including the design of the protagonist)

The developer is Chinese and as of July was still looking for help in getting an english version done (at least in terms of english voice actors)

Also the developer is mainly a designer with limited programming knowledge so is using blueprint(visual scripting) to build the game. I didn't even know there was a system like this on UE, definitely interested in seeing how easy it is to learn at some point. For anyone who has no idea what this (like me), you can read more here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Blueprints/

Its amazing that he has been working on the game for a year only in his free time outside of work.

I'll most likely pass on the game as I'm not interested in playing it with a standard controller.

There's a new thai horror game coming out for OculusRift later this month
Home sweet Home coming on 27th Sep. unfortunately it only have gamepad support
http://store.steampowered.com/app/617160/Home_Sweet_Home/

looks interesting but hoping its not a short game like most of the vr horror games. If its 2-3 hours only, I'll pass.

Tractoballvr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cq7WWWmpGk

Doesnt look good graphically speaking. Its basically rocket league + pinball in VR
yeah i agree, art style really brings this one down, feels the opposite of Bright memory where clearly the dev(s) is primarily programmer and not a designer/artist.

Anyone hates "motion controller" support if its just used as a pointer or "WiiMote-like"?

In some games it works well, but playing Obduction lately it sucks. You have your hands and you can point at stuff, but thats it. If you move a lever or stuff like that, it doesnt feel fluid. It feels like an old Wiimote, where you just move it in one direction and it moves.

Lakuza

Anyone hates "motion controller" support if its just used as a pointer or "WiiMote-like"?

In some games it works well, but playing Obduction lately it sucks. You have your hands and you can point at stuff, but thats it. If you move a lever or stuff like that, it doesnt feel fluid. It feels like an old Wiimote, where you just move it in one direction and it moves.

Looked up some gameplay vids of it on youtube and it looks like it snaps your hands to any object of interaction disconnected from what your actual hand is doing. Yeah, I'm not a fan of that either as it can break immersion to it. The levers you mentioned are a good example with an arrow showing you which way to move your arm, feels restrictive.

But this was released over a year ago (touch controllers were not out then either)so its obviously aged poorly compared to other games that have come out since and their update to support them was clearly low effort.

Google Earth VR added Street View support

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/14/google-earth-vr-app-gets-support-for-street-view/

I will try how it feels like later today. (hm, reads more like 360 picture support than the regular street view of google Maps tho)

edit:
Release notes
Street View: If you fly close to the Earth, the globe on your non-dominant controller will become a preview lens and indicate whether or not Street View is available. To enter, peek into the preview lens for a quick look, or point and click to enter an immersive 360 photo.

Renamed ”Allow human scale" preference to ”Restrict altitude"; limits how close users can fly to the ground.

Fixed human scale (experimental): Turn this feature on via the menu to stay human-sized at all altitudes.

Tutorial improvements: Added progress indicators and improved explanation text.

Refreshed pre-installed data cache for faster startup times.

Lakuza

Its cool seeing some of my beatmaps appear in popular category in soundboxing now :D
here's some more Soundboxing challenges I made today:

Google Earth VR added Street View support

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/14/google-earth-vr-app-gets-support-for-street-view/

I will try how it feels like later today. (hm, reads more like 360 picture support than the regular street view of google Maps tho)

edit:
Release notes
Street View: If you fly close to the Earth, the globe on your non-dominant controller will become a preview lens and indicate whether or not Street View is available. To enter, peek into the preview lens for a quick look, or point and click to enter an immersive 360 photo.

Renamed ”Allow human scale" preference to ”Restrict altitude"; limits how close users can fly to the ground.

Fixed human scale (experimental): Turn this feature on via the menu to stay human-sized at all altitudes.

Tutorial improvements: Added progress indicators and improved explanation text.

Refreshed pre-installed data cache for faster startup times.
oh awesome, definately trying this out later tonight :D

oh awesome, definately trying this out later tonight :D

Just tried it, at first I was like "Eh, no real "Street View" but now I know I was so wrong, this adds a significant ammount of extra value and motivation to Google Earth VR... tons actually.

Peeking into a bubble is a fast preview, clicking on the bubble loads the high res image (which can take a few seconds, depending on the i-net connection)

I was flying in human-scale around Neuschwanstein Castle and in Venice, holding the sphere into your view while flying around and seeing the picture inside the bubble changing all the time, comparing the 360 photo with the Google Earth VR polygon representation... just awesome.
All the places I have already visited in VR before this update I will now visit again for sure.

In Venice the horizon started flickering a lot though and Google Earth VR crashed on me for the first time at the end of my play session. Maybe the update made it a bit more unstable than before, I'm not sure.

Top Bottom