• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

Lakuza

SimplexPL

Also jumping in vr without physically jumping is not a good idea, it feels like the world around you is moving down, not you moving up.
I saw nothing in that dev's reply that would confirm the vr version.

Lakuza

Don't knock twice was just added. Looked interesting until I see a steam review saying its 1 hour long (and at that price? o_O)

Also jumping in vr without physically jumping is not a good idea, it feels like the world around you is moving down, not you moving up.

I played Jump on gear vr and it seemed to work fine in that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiQlNX3Q7yA

But in that one, the jump was way slower than what the lava game is like, so will be interesting to see how it feels.

Eh, Sairento is practically non stop jumping and it seems to work for most that aren't easily affected by motion sickness.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

my mistake. I missed the "Is this Unity" question in the first post. I thought the reply was that they made it in Unity so it will be VR.

Jumping in VR can work, I enjoy "To the Top" vr

Josman

One question, to whoever uses this PCI-E to USB 3.0 adapter for Oculus Rift:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Is it good enough to connect 3 oculus sensors and the Rift?

I've been having issues with losing audio after 5 mins of gameplay, the headset losing detection, tracking issues, etc. and I've read that my asus MoBo (z170) USB 3.0 ports are probably not good enough or defective because of some reason,The things is, the store page of that adapter says that they recommend 2 of them for Rift users, is that true?

Jumping around in Climbey, Windlands and both Serious Sam games is fine to me. Does not feel like moving down but it is like the world is moving around you instead of you moving around in that world, that is the case with all types of constant/fluid locomotion systems tho.

One question, to whoever uses this PCI-E to USB 3.0 adapter for Oculus Rift:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Is it good enough to connect 3 oculus sensors and the Rift?

I've been having issues with losing audio after 5 mins of gameplay, the headset losing detection, tracking issues, etc. and I've read that my asus MoBo (z170) USB 3.0 ports are probably not good enough or defective because of some reason,The things is, the store page of that adapter says that they recommend 2 of them for Rift users, is that true?

It's a single USB 3 controller so as per Oculus recommendations you should connect no more than 2 USB 3 sensors to it. The headset itself users very little bandwidth so may be fine but I have it connected to my motherboard USB 3 (which also doesn't pass the Oculus test) without issue. Just run the 3rd sensor via USB 2.0.

ArtHands

From Other Suns open beta at the end of this month on Oculus Store
29th Sep to 1st Oct

ArtHands

Joycity is remastering their mobile VR game "Gunship Battle 2" for Steam platform. It is currently out on google daydream and gear vr.

Game will features enhanced graphics (PBR, post effects etc) on PC

Some screenshots
img_5913.jpg

img_5912.jpg

img_5915.jpg

Started playing Serious Sam The Second Encounter now, it's good, as good as The First Encounter... I'm a little bit too early into the game to write any meaningful impressions but I feel like gettin a very very similar experience here. Started on Normal, now it's getting a bit too difficult so I will be using cheats from now on (can't stand dying and repeating sections in these games, only games where I didn't mind dying and repeating stuff was Halo and Dark Souls lol).

It doesn't have to be a bad thing getting more of the same if you like what is presented to you... but I have to admit that I can't shake the feeling of been there, done that, at least a little bit.

Second Encounter is basically a stand alone expansion to the first game. But It does have more varied environments and a lot bigger fights. It doesn't do the slow ramp up to bigger enemy numbers like the first one, but instead just increases them further until it reaches absurdity.

I like SE better than FE for this reason, but I concede that playing several levels in a row can get pretty exhausting.

Lakuza

spent most of my vr time in soundboxing today working on recording beat tracks. Made 5 so far and I enjoyed it. Tried to add some personality to the robot dancers where I could lol.

Is it worth creating a thread purely for the vr rhythm games so we can share tracks that we have made and found? (for audioshield it would be sharing youtube links, soundboxing it would be link to the song itself and then theres the osu links for that other music game in early access).The op for that thread could be updated constantly to list tracks made by users here?

Anyways, heres the link to my challenges (my scores are easily beatable, I missed some punches on each one so lost streak bonus alot):

Maximum the Hormone - Zetsu Billy (Death Note anime ending #2) - this ones probably the hardest one out of the ones i've made

神話崩壊 - Hello Sleepwalkers - this was the 1st one i made so its probably the easiest
Hello Sleepwalkers - Shin Sekai
猿は木から何処へ落ちる - Hello Sleepwalkers

Egoist - Welcome to the fam - has the most punches to make out of the ones i've made

Interesting about that Soundboxing website, everytime I try and load this challenge in-game I don't see the orbs, but I can see them in the video there ?

Also when I look at some of my own challenges I see that I very often drift to the right side of the playfield lol

It also would be cool if you could see the recording of the robot hitting the orbs instead of just the orbs alone, guess that's technically not possible or something(?)

low-G

Finally tried Windlands (got for $5 on recent sale)

Man oh man. Love the feeling of soaring around. Something about fast movement ala platforming in VR really does it for me. Same deal with To The Top. It feels more 'real' than any other VR experience for me. I really start to forget I'm playing a game, I think because the stimuli is so quick, no time to doubt it.

After a while playing I did feel ever so slightly queasy though.

To the note of jumping above, somehow all the movement in this type of game feels completely authentic to me. I press the jump button and I feel like I'm actually jumping. Weird.

low-G

Haven't played Gorn in a while, still such great wanton murder. Nothing else gets my murder juices flowing like Gorn.

Devs seem to be falling over each other in trying to push the first big successful MP shooter in VR (comparing it to the non VR scene I understand why... well, good luck)

I'm toying with the idea of getting a TPCast. With all the additions the Vive is starting to look a little Frankenstein-ish. I can't wait for wireless to be fully integrated.

Josman

It's a single USB 3 controller so as per Oculus recommendations you should connect no more than 2 USB 3 sensors to it. The headset itself users very little bandwidth so may be fine but I have it connected to my motherboard USB 3 (which also doesn't pass the Oculus test) without issue. Just run the 3rd sensor via USB 2.0.

Thank you, I will experiment with 2 sensors and the headset on the PCI-E card and the third sensor on the motherboard 2.0, I try to avoid the Mobo because of the issues I mentioned but I think the problem is related to the 3.0 ports.

Lakuza

Created some more sound boxing challenges. With this 2nd batch, I've started to utilise the play space more so theres more movement involved :)

Walk on water - 30 seconds to mars

Soldier Battle - FF7: Crisis Core OST

Sephiroth Theme (Enemy Within) - FF7: Crisis Core OST - there were no challenges available when searching sephiroth so mines the only one right now(although i didn't check one winged angel searches).

Countdown - Hello Sleepwalkers

Monkey Masked Awakening Album preview - Hello Sleepwalkers - this one was interesting since its a trailer with quick snippets of their songs from the album so the pacing changes happen quick :D

sonofbryce

Neo Member
@Arthands, graphics looking pretty dope for Gunship Battle 2. Was it any fun on Gear VR?

I've been working on this VR music visualizer called Raybeem.
Previous posts in Vive thread: [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]

Here's a video I made of what the 2nd theme, "Highway" is looking like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr8TPclZFiM

We're planning on launching with 3 different themes. Each theme is essentially an environment that reacts to music in different ways.

Here's the Highway theme, an endlessly tiling cityscape:
RaybeemHighway_sm.png

Here's the FireDancer theme, which allows you to spin poi around in the desert under a pulsing moon:
RaybeemFiredancer_sm.png

Raybeem allows you to import mp3s and also can be set to react to different music sources in Windows (system audio, mic, etc). So you can use it to listen to music from YouTube, Spotify, Soundcloud or whatever but you just won't be able to control those other sources from within VR.

A demo is available: https://sokay.itch.io/raybeem-vr-music-visualizer . We're supporting HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. If you check it out, please let me know if it runs properly on your machine.

We're planning to launch on Steam by the end of the month: http://store.steampowered.com/app/631120/Raybeem/ , please add it to your wishlist!

Thanks!

Lakuza

The IOTA Project demo live, trailer & steam page up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak7ZJDi5wtw
http://store.steampowered.com/app/660520/The_IOTA_Project/
It says free to play on the steam page but its actually only the demo. the game is still WIP

Interesting demo. Was better than i expected form what we saw of the initial trailers but it also confirmed issues I had with those trailers.

Fighting with the swords feels clunky and damage is done by just touching enemies with it (or any debris). Everything is also way too floaty, there's no weight to anything so it feels like i'm fighting on the moon. This is also noticable when you throw debris or weapons, theres no speed/accuracy to them since everything is just floating.

Unless they drastically upgrade the mechanics of fighting, I will probably pass on this.

sonofbryce

Neo Member
I don't understand this within the context of VR.

If objects in the game world are a specific distance away, shouldn't there be a set "correct" amount of parallax?
I don't think Rez was developed with completely accurate 3D space in mind. Since it was designed for a screen, I think some elements might be overlayed in screenspace instead of an actual position in the world. I figure they had to adjust certain elements to make them work for VR but they can continue to tweak it for different headsets and whatnot. My assumption anyway.

ArtHands

I'm extremely excited that I have now released a video game.

(uhh demo)

Give it a shot! Always looking for feedback.

Just tried the demo a little and I like the simple charming fun. However the game is a little overwhelming and difficult. I find it hard to juggle between firing the aerial enemies, the ground enemies and dodging the obstacles, bullets etc at such speed.

But glad to say I have totally no issue with the locomotion at all. The game mechanics work great. Smooth framerate too.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand this within the context of VR.

If objects in the game world are a specific distance away, shouldn't there be a set "correct" amount of parallax?
Idk. I haven't tried it yet but I don't think that's true. At least for Rez, which is a linear tube shooter thing. I will try this tonight. Haven't had a good chance to duck into Vr lately.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok dudes I played REZ with the 3D depth set to max and can confirm it's quite different. I think it looks better but is a little harder. Will try more tonight.

Ok, just finished Form. It's really short, but also really really good. The puzzles weren't overly difficult, but almost all of them
painting puzzle was meh
were interesting and the visuals and sound were on point. Makes me want more, but it will be a showcase for VR for sure.

Turned on Face You Fears and tried the skyscraper. Whoa, I never considered myself scared of heights. I love roller coasters, but have never been a fan of standing still at high places. I couldn't do it. Had to take a knee and shut it down. Holy shit. Maybe I'll try it again, but I guess it just goes to show how VR can trick your brain.

Lakuza

Some more challenges for Soundboxing:

Sky is a neighbourhood - Foo Fighters

Run - Foo Fighters
(this one is quite exhausting lol XD)

Ok, just finished Form. It's really short, but also really really good. The puzzles weren't overly difficult, but almost all of them
painting puzzle was meh
were interesting and the visuals and sound were on point. Makes me want more, but it will be a showcase for VR for sure.

Turned on Face You Fears and tried the skyscraper. Whoa, I never considered myself scared of heights. I love roller coasters, but have never been a fan of standing still at high places. I couldn't do it. Had to take a knee and shut it down. Holy shit. Maybe I'll try it again, but I guess it just goes to show how VR can trick your brain.

Some of the paid scenarios in face your fears are really good :) The spider and snake one got good scares out of me :)

Top Bottom