• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good call. I just can't seem to find even a preorder available anywhere.

That's why I said "in a few weeks" rather than "on June 9." :p

There are no preorders (anymore), they're just going to go on sale. No idea how much stock there will be, but even the Vive itself wasn't really out of stock for very long.

cakefoo

gjkUHzL.gif

I'm doing all the Superhot challenges and it's been an amazingly fun (and sweaty) experience. Videos here.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang I need to get back to Superhot!!
Been drawing in tiltbrush more.

Using the straightedge and the wire tool to make wireframes and then using the wide marker and straight edge to fill it in like wood planks. Pretty neat.

What headset/headphones do you guys use? My astro A50s are giving me some strange feedback and I need something better than the in-ears provided with the vive.

Just a few days ago bought Beyerdynamics 880 Edition because I snapped my cheap 15 bucks plastik headphones I used for VR in half (the second time this happened to me with cheap headphones)
I've used an MMX 300 for a few years now (console and regular pc gaming) and the 880 is very very similar.

collige

Banned
Has anyone had issues with Steam VR Home or whatever they renamed Destinations to crashing on boot? I've updated W10, re-installed SteamVR, etc to no effect. The loading screen shows up for a few seconds, but then the app crashes and SteamVR itself stays in the loading state except with the game logo gone from the UI. This was happening before the name change too.

What headset/headphones do you guys use? My astro A50s are giving me some strange feedback and I need something better than the in-ears provided with the vive.

I use the Senn HD-25s I DJ with. They're not the most comfortable, but they sound great, are affordable, and durable as fuck.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think I would rather prefer a wireless adapter with an included battery than to deal with a cable with a weight at the end of it. Just seems much more convenient when putting on and taking of the HMD.

Zalusithix

I think I would rather prefer a wireless adapter with an included battery than to deal with a cable with a weight at the end of it. Just seems much more convenient when putting on and taking of the HMD.

I think it's one of those things that sounds good in theory... until you realize the size the battery needs to be to provide any decent runtime. The headset itself has a decent power draw, and the 60GHz wireless transceiver will suck down power as well.

You're not going to be getting something like the 5hr battery of the TPCast unit on your head.
tpcast-2.jpg

Sure if you stick to < 1hr sessions, the battery needn't be so large, but if you ever do want that functionality, then you're right back to needing the waist mounted battery. Personally a short battery life would just leave me paranoid about whether I was going to lose my connection mid-game.

theosi

Not seeing any chatter here about Star Trek: Bridge Crew, but have to say, it's been the most fun i've had in vr in a long time. Really recommend it if you're on the fence, especially if you have a friend to play with, though i've had really great experiences with strangers as well.

I played it cross-play for 4-5 hours today with a friend who owns a PSVR and it was amazing getting to play online with them with zero hassle. First time that i ever appreciated ubisoft uplay integration.

There is way to get 20% off using 100 uplay coins too, so don't pay full price if you don't have to!

"What's wrong with the gif? Are you thinking of the wrist straps or am I missing something?"

The demonstration of a wireless headset add-on is a stationary guy twisting his torso not even more than 90 degrees. Not very compelling or convincing.

What's wrong with the gif? Are you thinking of the wrist straps or am I missing something?
He's very stationary. Something like Space Pirate Trainer would have been a better showcase because of how much you need to move around. Or better yet something like Holopoint that has you spinning around a lot.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think it's one of those things that sounds good in theory... until you realize the size the battery needs to be to provide any decent runtime. The headset itself has a decent power draw, and the 60GHz wireless transceiver will suck down power as well.

You're not going to be getting something like the 5hr battery of the TPCast unit on your head.
tpcast-2.jpg

Sure if you stick to < 1hr sessions, the battery needn't be so large, but if you ever do want that functionality, then you're right back to needing the waist mounted battery. Personally a short battery life would just leave me paranoid about whether I was going to lose my connection mid-game.

I think under 2 hours would be my "good enough", considering how much I played in VR lately.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What's wrong with the gif? Are you thinking of the wrist straps or am I missing something?

Will be better if he walks around more, larger actions to demostrate the freedom of wireless better.

He's just standing on the spot playing...thats like playing a standing game on the PSVR

Paganmoon

Ahh, right, might just be hard to demo on stage, not much room to move and he could fall off?

Will press have access to testing it out?

Ahh, right, might just be hard to demo on stage, not much room to move and he could fall off?

There are many games where you turn on the spot that don't require you to move about your playspace. Simply turning 180degree would be enough, turn on playspace center marker and you always know where you are inside VR relative to your real world position.
The Lab Longbow doesn't require you to do that, there is nothing behind you so it's the worst example to pick. (Should have played Racket NX for this demo purpose!)

ArtHands

You can simply place a carpet on the stage which act as the boundary of where you can walk, and demo it barefooted. you cant see in VR of where you can walk on stage, but you can sense the boundary with your naked feets.

Durante

That looks great and sounds right up my alley. Co-op!
Seems a bit like a larger-budget take on Raw Data. (Which is still my favourite VR game overall)

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I have this random intermittent issue where the headset goes completely gray (flickering off almost) and seems to lose tracking. I can't figure out if its like a loose HDMI cable or an issue with my GTX 1080 (I have the Gigabye Xtreme Premium Plus, which came with a front panel breakout box for VR). Any idea what this is?

Sorry for the necro, but I had the same issue than you and eventually one of my lighthouses died. Generally when a lighthouse is dead it's because one of the tracking leds is gone: look at the lighthouse while on, you'll see a number of round leds tightly packed and a couple of slimmer ones, one on the right side and one on the lower side.

If one of those seems dead, poke HTC. I sent mine last month and they were amazing about it. Free fix and the round trip took 4 days.

ArtHands

Some information regarding the upcoming Vive standalone headset and HTC link from an interview. The interview is conducted with Raymond Pao (Associate Vice President of VR New Technology @ HTC Corp). The interview is in Japanese but you can run it through google translate easily

http://www.moguravr.com/raymond-pao-interview-htc-vive/

On standalone vive mobile headset with google
- Content will be different from PC Vive
- will focus more on videos (3D, 360,2D)
- weaker in performance than PC Vive
- headset has 6dof tracking, controller had 3dof so only simple gesture
- different tracking from PC vive (use Google worldsense)
- google will provide SDK for content creation
- understand google daydream has lesser content now but believe contents will increase when more daydream compatible phones are out

On Link
- different design philosophy
- KDDI and Softbank express interest in VR so HTC link was made
- planned for summer release
- HTC will release U11 before Link
- LED tracking system on headset
- controller has LED too
- headset and controller has 6dof tracking
- higher degree of freedom than standalone mobile Vive
- tying up with China companies
- LED tracking mechanism from third party partner companies
- HTC will be responsible for manufacturing
- Softbank and KDDI will be responsible with the content ecosystem for Link
- curreny have 20 VR apps ready for launch but not the final number, they are working on gathering more contents
- Link will require an external camera device for tracking
- not onmidirectional tracking so if you turn around the camera can lose tracking
- Link will focus on active VR app (eg games) while standalone Vive contents will be more passive (animated content)
- both have chips on par with snapdragon 835
- Link is established with the idea of delivery VR PC-like contents on smartphone
- Link and mobile Vive has different in house team in HTC
- HtC Link will be sold in KDDI and softbank shops while standalone mobile Vive will be sold in PC shops and others
- Link is exclusive to Japan. Google daydream is not released in Japan at the monent so HTC will want to bring it to Japan
- no plan for oversea for HTC link yet
- think mobile VR will accelerate VR growth in Japan

On vive branding
- 4 pillars (vive technology on hardware, vive studio for publishing, viveport for content delivery, ViveX to help with content creation)
- also looking at AR
- ViveX is supporting companies with AR technology
- israel acceleration center is developing AR/VR tech
- meeting with AR glasses companies all the time
- currently no production line for AR product
- raymond pao is focusing on standalone VR Vive at the moment
- Htc also working on 2nd gen Vive

Paganmoon

Regarding the Deluxe Audio strap, I figured I'd check if the rEvolve headmount replacement had been finished yet, and it seems they're about ready to start shipping out the Kickstarter orders. I'm presonally going to wait for some reviews of that, from Tested (hopefully). It's the same price (or a few dollars cheaper) as the Deluxe Audio strap, though, no built in headphones, but I'll take weight on my head rather than face instead of the headphones anyday really.

I wish that seated games which actually display a chair did some basic chair calibration before starting. For example:

"Please stand up, place one controller on your chair, and hold down the trigger on your other controller."
*accompanying visual of a controller lying on the seat of a chair*

"Great. Now sit down, hold your controllers on top of the left and right armrests, and hold down the triggers. If your chair doesn't have arm rests, hold your controllers at the left and right edges of your seat, and hold down the trackpad"
*accompanying visual*

I'd imagine with this and maybe one or two more measurements (maybe measure front corners and back corners separately?), you could model the player's chair pretty accurately. Except for people with spinny chairs, who'd have to remember to not spin.

I wish that seated games that actually display your chair did some basic chair calibration before starting. For example:

"Please stand up, place one controller on your chair, and hold down the trigger on your other controller. " *accompanying visual of a controller lying on top of the seat of a chair*

"Great. Now sit down, hold your controllers on top of the left and right armrests, and hold down the triggers. If your chair doesn't have arm rests, hold your controllers at the left and right edges of your chair, and hold down the trackpad" *accompanying visual*

I'd imagine with this and maybe one or two more measurements, you could model the players chair pretty accurately. Except for people with spinny chairs, who'd have to remember to not spin.

100% agree. This is a problem I have when playing Elite Dangerous with a HOTAS, I'm always wishing everything lined up properly without having to resort to a custom chair setup I see some people do. Still love playing the game in VR (probably my favorite VR game), but you have to really ignore your in-game body and controls to be immersed.

Tain

I've been REALLY liking Battlezone. The tank movement is really satisfying, some of the weapons are awfully fun to use, ammo seems well-distributed, and the game's structure pulls no punches. I thiiiink I have a shot at the main enemy base this time (and have no idea what will happen when I get there), but it's kinda dicey since I'm down to two lives and they cost so much at this point.

Haven't played online yet, but co-op must be particularly great.

A pretty easy game to recommend if you're looking for something beefy and polished.

cakefoo

Sorry for the necro, but I had the same issue than you and eventually one of my lighthouses died. Generally when a lighthouse is dead it's because one of the tracking leds is gone: look at the lighthouse while on, you'll see a number of round leds tightly packed and a couple of slimmer ones, one on the right side and one on the lower side.

If one of those seems dead, poke HTC. I sent mine last month and they were amazing about it. Free fix and the round trip took 4 days.
Was it inside the 1-year warranty? Mine just died a few days ago, out of warranty, and they wanted $90-110 to repair, and said it would take 7-10 days to fix.

Instead of dealing with the hassle and waiting, I bought a used one off ebay from someone who had a defective HMD.

low-G

I've been REALLY liking Battlezone. The tank movement is really satisfying, some of the weapons are awfully fun to use, ammo seems well-distributed, and the game's structure pulls no punches. I thiiiink I have a shot at the main enemy base this time (and have no idea what will happen when I get there), but it's kinda dicey since I'm down to two lives and they cost so much at this point.

Haven't played online yet, but co-op must be particularly great.

A pretty easy game to recommend if you're looking for something beefy and polished.

Yeah, Battlezone is very well made by any regard, in a extremely rare genre, and VR adds to the immersion deeply.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Space Pirates and Zombies 2 has some VR support now. It was a fun little game.
They take an interesting approach with their campaign map on a vertical plane in front of you. Headset FOV is still a bit too low for what they're trying to pull off, but I could see it working well on future hardware.
There's a code in here that people with the game can use to opt in to the beta.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/252470/announcements/detail/1289563758901434391

sonofbryce

Neo Member
Hello Ya'll!

I'm working on a VR music visualizer named Raybeem. It's something I'm developing because I wanted to get faded and listen to music in VR! ;)

Here's a video where I run through the general functionality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeNUSyi_VoA

This video has raw footage of Raybeem streaming drum and bass station Bassdrive.com live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iAeu9jJTUA

Some screenshots:
raybeem_ig_02.gif

thumb_RaybeemCapture_03.png

thumb_RaybeemCapture_02.png

And here's another WIP theme, that's like an endless highway.
2017.05.31_citytest_sm.png

We're planning on launching with at least 3 themes, with different feels, to better fit your mood or the mood of your music.

Anybody interested in something like this? Also, any idea of good places where to post about it? Not really sure where people find out about VR software.

Please let me know what you think! We're planning to release a demo soon and the full thing within the next couple of months.

You can see more at: http://liveinyourmusic.com and our Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sokaylife/

Wardancer

Neo Member
Just had the right side of one of my touchpads fail to click... so Im gonna have to open it up and fix it. Really not looking forward to screwing that up heh.

Edit: Probably false alarm, it seems the top part of the controller had snapped loose on one side which made the trackpad misaligned and just snapping it back together seems to have fixed it.

Hello Ya'll!

I'm working on a VR music visualizer named Raybeem. It's something I'm developing because I wanted to get faded and listen to music in VR! ;)

Damn, I never knew I wanted a VR music visualizer until I saw this. I'll for sure be checking out the demo when you get that released. Be sure to keep us posted.

As for other places to post about it, Reddit has a pretty big VR community at both /r/vive and /r/oculus if you haven't done so yet. Other than that I'm not sure what else there is, I pretty much just check this thread and /r/vive for VR news.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
Was it inside the 1-year warranty? Mine just died a few days ago, out of warranty, and they wanted $90-110 to repair, and said it would take 7-10 days to fix.

Instead of dealing with the hassle and waiting, I bought a used one off ebay from someone who had a defective HMD.

Yep, it was in warranty, though by a hair's breadth! If they had wanted 100 bucks for a repair I think my Vive would be in a thrift shop now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom