• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Mn if only tiltbrush had a triangle/square make feature like mspaint.

Trying to draw a desk I want to build and it's going pretty well. Very cool to have it full size in the exact spot it will be in my room give or take a few inches.

But it's been a little time consuming getting everything to line up perfectly. Still very very cool and fun. You definitely get lost when you're listening to music and just drawing.

I really would love the ability to copy/paste and move around objects too. Like if I could draw my computer as one thing and then plop it down in another drawing and scale it to size, etc.

Side by side showing off Samsung's new VR displays:

Whb6QiV.jpg

Couple more pics.

Durante

Is this display going to be gen 2 PC vr or just gear VR?
Given that in this case it seems they have created an entire production line just for dedicated VR displays, I'd assume they want as many customers for those as possible to amortize the cost.

What I'm really curious to see now is what kind of display the LG HMD will use.

Zalusithix

I know I've expressed skepticism of the new headset cable clip before, but it looks like it is just big enough for the ribbon cable without deforming it.
vive-deluxe-audio-strap-review-5.jpg

=P Technically it had to be designed to handle the ribbon cable without deforming it while at the same time holding the redesigned round cable without dropping it.

I wonder why they didn't want to just include the new cable with the deluxe headstrap?

(Cost is the obvious answer, but there's no way it actually costs that much to produce.)

Zalusithix

I wonder why they didn't want to just include the new cable with the deluxe headstrap?

(Cost is the obvious answer, but there's no way it actually costs that much to produce.)

Given the cost of the headset, they could probably easily pack in the new 3 in 1 and come out with a profit. Still, given the world we live in where design changes are made to shave fractions of a cent off manufacturing, that's not going to happen. Especially when they know us early VR adopters are willing to sink lots of money buying stuff lol.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Breach It could be really fun. I'm still waiting for a tracked gun controller.

Tracker gun controllers are a pipedream until we have tracked hands otherwise you will have to severely limit the interactions with the world or weapons and nobody wants that. You are better off getting a gunstock, either diy or buy the excellent protube or any of the other magnetic ones.

Yes I am aware of the AIM for PSVR, and so far the only game for that does exactly what I said, limits interactions to just pointing a weapon.

I just experienced VR for the first time. It was at an arcade at the mall in Guangzhou. It was a blast. We had 3 player co-op fighting robots.

We went there an played co-op in a robot shooting game on the Vive. It was my first time experiencing VR. We had a blast.

As for VR itself, it was interesting. I don't think I would buy it, but playing in a arcade like this with friends is much more fun. The feeling is great. When you look down platforms, it does feel like you can fall off. I walked too close to my friend, and or a second I almost recoiled thinking I was going to slam into a person. Everything felt pretty solid. I tried lifting my foot to avoid a laser coming at me, but I wonder if that actually worked. It was too frantic, and hard to tell if my foot avoided the laser. It felt real enough that it made me think it would work. The feeling of distance and height was very convincing even if you can't touch anything.

The image quality wasn't as good as I had hoped, but it wasn't awful either. It felt like someone turned on the chromatic aberration option on too high. Our friend was shorter, so her character looks like it's always crouching. I think the way you position your guns can affect your in-game model. I see the 2 of them making chicken poses with their arms even though I know that's not what they're doing. Not sure what my pose looked like.

The sound was amazing with headphones, but the communication between us wasn't great. It felt like it drops every other word we say, it it gets drowned out by the games' sound effects. I wonder if that's just the problem with our connection. It was also hard to communicate where we were, or where we see the enemies are coming from. It's like, over here on the left side. But left can mean different things to different people depending on where they were at the stage, and what direction they were facing.

I think VR works well for more arcade-y games. I don't think I would play something like say Zelda or Fire Emblem in VR. With the cost of the equipment needed, I think VR arcades could be where the technology will truly flourish.

Zalusithix

Our friend was shorter, so her character looks like it's always crouching. I think the way you position your guns can affect your in-game model. I see the 2 of them making chicken poses with their arms even though I know that's not what they're doing. Not sure what my pose looked like.

The game didn't do proper height calibration in the beginning if the other player was constantly crouching because she was physically shorter. As for the "chicken poses", all arm/body position is based on head and hand position using inverse kinematics to best-guess everything else. Feet and legs are totally made up until we get trackers on our feet.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Jeff Minter just tweeted that he's working on Polybius for Oculus Rift
https://twitter.com/llamasoft_ox/status/868067266709114881

He said he doesn't have a Vive (he said they will probably end up supporting it anyway), but Daniel O'Brien (HTC Vive GM) looks to be reaching out to him over twitter now to offer help

Cool! Just from itchio or did you have to do anything special?

The developer gave some steam keys over facebook and I was quick enough to secure one.

jwc13ac

So anyone had luck with pre ordering the deluxe audio strap? Not seeing it anywhere. Is it possible this will get a delay, or worse have a shortage? Coming in less than week...

I'm loving my new Vive, but coming from psvr I know it can be improved by a better strap. I'm holding off on playing this like crazy so I can get a better experience.

So anyone had luck with pre ordering the deluxe audio strap? Not seeing it anywhere. Is it possible this will get a delay, or worse have a shortage? Coming in less than week...

I'm loving my new Vive, but coming from psvr I know it can be improved by a better strap. I'm holding off on playing this like crazy so I can get a better experience.

There were preorders up about a month back, but I avoided it due to them going through a shitty distributor (Digital River). After that I heard they were just going to release them to retailers with no preorders. We've seen images of stacks of these things from people working retail so a delay doesn't seem likely.

Durante

Man. I really don't want to wait until early 2018 for wireless, but this looks like a better bet than TPCast. I'm noticing there's no external battery on this either.
I don't think that's necessarily an advantage. The thing on his head looks pretty big/annoying compared to the TPCast device, and I'd much rather have a large battery in my pocket than a small one on my head.

Man. I really don't want to wait until early 2018 for wireless, but this looks like a better bet than TPCast. I'm noticing there's no external battery on this either.

The wireless adapter is fucking huge though! I think I'd rather have an external battery. Plus, swapping out battery packs would be a preferable solution over charging the entire adapter itself (I'm assuming that's how it would work).

Zalusithix

I don't think that's necessarily an advantage. The thing on his head looks pretty big/annoying compared to the TPCast device, and I'd much rather have a large battery in my pocket than a small one on my head.

Agreed. Packing the battery up on the head with the receiver just increases the size, weight, and heat generation in that area unnecessarily.

Also of note is that the Intel initiative has lower bandwidth than the one used by TPCast, so I expect higher video compression. It'll probably be better suited for sending data back like the camera / mic though seeing as how it's more of a general WiFi like technology.

The wireless adapter is fucking huge though! I think I'd rather have an external battery. Plus, swapping out battery packs would be a preferable solution over charging the entire adapter itself (I'm assuming that's how it would work).

There is a super simple solution for this problem and I'm kinda amazed that nobody else has thought of it yet. You remove the battery from the head and run a cable down your body, then over the floor into a power socket... badda bing badda bang, perfect wireless VR!

I'm on the fence about an external battery. Some obvious pros and cons there. My main concern is that I would still feel a bit tethered with that wire coming off my head and attached to something so far down my body. I'd have to get my hands on it to know if that's a misplaced fear. Also a much more minor concern, but I think it might be an issue when trying to demo the Vive for women that were over since they'd be less likely to have pockets to accommodate the battery if they have pockets at all.

I'm on the fence about an external battery. Some obvious pros and cons there. My main concern is that I would still feel a bit tethered with that wire coming off my head and attached to something so far down my body. I'd have to get my hands on it to know if that's a misplaced fear. Also a much more minor concern, but I think it might be an issue when trying to demo the Vive for women that were over since they'd be less likely to have pockets to accommodate the battery if they have pockets at all.

Not going to be minor if you're a woman. :/ You'd need a clip or a backpack or something. Ick.

The battery is the reason I'm still kind of meh on the whole wireless thing. It just seems like there's a lot of compromises right now. I generally haven't noticed the wires since I got an extension cord.

What headset/headphones do you guys use? My astro A50s are giving me some strange feedback and I need something better than the in-ears provided with the vive.

Zalusithix

I'm on the fence about an external battery. Some obvious pros and cons there. My main concern is that I would still feel a bit tethered with that wire coming off my head and attached to something so far down my body. I'd have to get my hands on it to know if that's a misplaced fear.

Do you feel tethered with headphones and a portable music player / phone? This would be less noticeable than that given the location the cable would be coming down (your back). I mean, this is essentially the same sort of setup that people who wear with wireless lapel mics deal with, and they're not exactly encumbered.

jwc13ac

There were preorders up about a month back, but I avoided it due to them going through a shitty distributor (Digital River). After that I heard they were just going to release them to retailers with no preorders. We've seen images of stacks of these things from people working retail so a delay doesn't seem likely.

Ah ok. Wish I could preorder so I can have it arrive the 6th. Oh well. We know the retailers? I saw microsoft and Amazon so far, and B&M stores like Best Buy?

Do you feel tethered with headphones and a portable music player / phone? This would be less noticeable than that given the location the cable would be coming down (your back). I mean, this is essentially the same sort of setup that people who wear with wireless lapel mics deal with, and they're not exactly encumbered.

Hm... I guess it all depends on how large the wire is? I generally imagine power cables being bigger and heavier than my super light headphone cable.

BTW, if we just get the Vive cord down to a headphone-like size with no battery, that would be vastly preferable to me over wireless. I remember Linus attempted something like this with thunderbolt and while it took a ridiculous amount of fiddling, it did work in the end. Would be nice to have as an official product.

Not going to be minor if you're a woman. :/ You'd need a clip or a backpack or something. Ick.
Yeah, I mean minor for me personally since I don't have people over for VR that often and my GF doesn't jump in that often.

Only a little. I think with the TPCast it's going to depend on the length and chord thickness. Don't get me wrong though. Even if it was a bit inconvenient, it wouldn't put me off getting it.

Just put the battery in a fanny pack.

Next level: put a tracker on the fanny pack so you get better body IK.
That's....actually not the worst idea lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom