• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplexPL

It seems that the more audio devices I have, the more SteamVR gets confused and keeps on setting the wrong audio device as main output. Is there any way to fix it? My audio devices:
Sound Blaster Z soundcard
HDMI vive audio - this is what should ALWAYS be default output for SteamVR, but is not.
USB Headphones HyperX Cloud 2
USB headset Sennheiser (for voice chat)
USB Vive audio
USB "speakers" from Reloop Spodcaster microphone (which is weird, because this microphone does not seem to have any audio output?)
HDMI audio TV (which I keep disabled)

So recently every time I launch SteamVR, audio device is set to wrong device, for example to Sennheiser headset. Is there any way to prevent it? How can something as basic as proper audio output be so borked over a year after release?
(I am using new SteamVR Home Beta, maybe that is the reason?)

sonofbryce

Neo Member
Damn, I never knew I wanted a VR music visualizer until I saw this. I'll for sure be checking out the demo when you get that released. Be sure to keep us posted.

As for other places to post about it, Reddit has a pretty big VR community at both /r/vive and /r/oculus if you haven't done so yet. Other than that I'm not sure what else there is, I pretty much just check this thread and /r/vive for VR news.

Thanks a lot Veritigo_X! Your enthusiasm's brought a smile to my day and I'll be sure to let you know when I release a demo.

Ok, it seems like Reddit is the main spot to find stuff, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks again!

@Flutterborn, they want $100 to repair a lighthouse? They only cost $135 brand new, seems a bit excessive.

So recently every time I launch SteamVR, audio device is set to wrong device, for example to Sennheiser headset. Is there any way to prevent it? How can something as basic as proper audio output be so borked over a year after release?

SteamVR has a setting (under Settings->Audio) which gives you the option to switch to a certain audio output when VR starts and which output to switch to when VR ends. I use it to switch between a Logitech G930 and regular speakers. Occasionally it resets itself, and I have to fix it.

SimplexPL

Yes, that is exactly what I am complaining about - I am setting this option to switch to "HDMI VIVE" when SteamVR starts and it constantly (almost every time I run it) randomly sets itself to another audio device.

cakefoo

@Flutterborn, they want $100 to repair a lighthouse? They only cost $135 brand new, seems a bit excessive.
Flutterborn's was under warranty so the repairs were free. It was me they wanted $90-110 from. I asked up-front and they said, "the approximately amount for the repair of your base station is $90.00 to $110.00" and re: turnaround times/shipping, "The whole repair process takes 7 to 10 business days since the day we received the device, you'll need to pay for the shipping to our repair center and we'll pay the shipping to the address you provided."

Buying used on ebay cost the same as the estimated repair would have, but was a much easier and quicker solution.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Are controllers being switched a common problem?
Just recently my hands started being switched all the time when I boot up. Its really frustrating. Even when I deliberately power on each controller and stand there motionless it will happen.

Weird.

About to jump into that new game Form. Excited to play it.

Bliany

Is Onward worth purchasing at this point? Haven't heard too much about how well the dev is at keeping in touch with the community.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang I can definitely recommend Form. Its really cool. The puzzles are maybe not the best and sometimes you just spin a thing until it works but the vibe and presentation is truly great. Super cool game.

samred

You guys, you guys, you guys. 4D Toys on the Vive. I'm not sure I've ever played with such a weird edutainment toy. It's all about manipulating 3D objects along a 4D plane, and thus understanding the bonkers math models needed to define how a fourth dimension would work. The app is a teaser for the still-unreleased puzzle game Miegakure by that game's creator, which will make players solve puzzles with similar 4D tricks.

What can you do with 4D Toys? Look at this crazy 4D manipulation of 3D objects, for example:

OpulentSoftInexpectatumpleco.gif

Or this object, which has a single defined shape in 4D that you can only perceive depending on which 3D "sliver" appears at the fourth-dimensional point you're currently standing in:

BronzeMarvelousGrunion.gif

$15 on Vive, also available as a $6 iOS app. Official site with video tutorial and tons of GIFs here. (My own impressions/writeup here.)

moniker

It seems that the more audio devices I have, the more SteamVR gets confused and keeps on setting the wrong audio device as main output. Is there any way to fix it? My audio devices:
Sound Blaster Z soundcard
HDMI vive audio - this is what should ALWAYS be default output for SteamVR, but is not.
USB Headphones HyperX Cloud 2
USB headset Sennheiser (for voice chat)
USB Vive audio
USB "speakers" from Reloop Spodcaster microphone (which is weird, because this microphone does not seem to have any audio output?)
HDMI audio TV (which I keep disabled)

I think the problem is that Windows occasionally changes the name of the Vive HDMI output when enumerating the HDMI audio outputs. Try setting it to USB Vive audio since that seems more reliable.

SimplexPL

I think the problem is that Windows occasionally changes the name of the Vive HDMI output when enumerating the HDMI audio outputs. Try setting it to USB Vive audio since that seems more reliable.

Sounds like a good idea, although I did not observe the name change - it's always HTC-VIVE-4 for me.
Are there no downsides to using USB audio for Vive?

Wardancer

Neo Member
Is Onward worth purchasing at this point? Haven't heard too much about how well the dev is at keeping in touch with the community.

Its the only VR multiplayer shooter with a stable playerbase, they are very active on their Discord and are running a league currently.

Currently the dev and his recent hires (team increased by 4-5 members) are working hard to increasing the player count to 5v5 and something else that will "explain why its taking so long".

But if you buy it now most other players with have 50+ hours in the game already (many over several hundred) so you might get stomped when you first play, but if you just talk to the other players on the servers there will often be someone who will help you out to get started with some of the more obscure control schemes and tactics.

I could probably try to help you out if needed (timezone CEST)

TL;DR Yes, but its a somewhat hard game.

Mountain sized grain of salt, but there's a 4chan rumor that Skyrim VR is in production at Bethesda. Again, it's a 4chan rumor so I don't even think making a thread is worthy (it's barely comment worthy really), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true given how huge Skyrim still manages to be.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so, it turns out that bluetooth and my lighthouses are working great. They work exactly as you would expect.. So now, is there anything to do about how the headset stays concerningly warm when plugged in and not in use?

Mountain sized grain of salt, but there's a 4chan rumor that Skyrim VR is in production at Bethesda. Again, it's a 4chan rumor so I don't even think making a thread is worthy (it's barely comment worthy really), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true given how huge Skyrim still manages to be.

I almost feel like this is a given?

We already know they're porting Fallout... The only reason they wouldn't be porting Skyrim as well is if they wanted to test the waters with Fallout first.

Wardancer

Neo Member
I almost feel like this is a given?

We already know they're porting Fallout... The only reason they wouldn't be porting Skyrim as well is if they wanted to test the waters with Fallout first.

And that its a ton of work to get either Fallout or skyrim even close to VR playable in an interesting way. Skyrim is also primarily melee focused which is actually harder to get right in VR than shooting guns.

But hopefully Bethseda does the work to make guns fun to use in VR (manual reloading, iron sights, 2 handed usage for rifles and miniguns etc). Hand cranking the laser musket anyone? Instead of just having everything work like a laser pointer with the premade animations playing for all reloads.

And that its a ton of work to get either Fallout or skyrim even close to VR playable in an interesting way. Skyrim is also primarily melee focused which is actually harder to get right in VR than shooting guns.

But hopefully Bethseda does the work to make guns fun to use in VR (manual reloading, iron sights, 2 handed usage for rifles and miniguns etc). Hand cranking the laser musket anyone? Instead of just having everything work like a laser pointer with the premade animations playing for all reloads.

I could imagine this depends on if they are also trying to get a PSVR version out, in which case they probably resort to simple button press actions (reloading, scavenging etc) instead of more interesting manual actions.

SimplexPL

Ok so, it turns out that bluetooth and my lighthouses are working great. They work exactly as you would expect.. So now, is there anything to do about how the headset stays concerningly warm when plugged in and not in use?
I don't know what level of warmth is concerning for you, but yest, it remains warm to the touch even when in "standby" mode (I think Rift has a similar problem). If you are concerned, you'd probably have to disconnect it manually.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what level of warmth is concerning for you, but yest, it remains warm to the touch even when in "standby" mode (I think Rift has a similar problem). If you are concerned, you'd probably have to disconnect it manually.
Yeah that's what I've been doing. It just seems so weird to gets warm. And it's warm, not hot. But not ignorable. I guess if it really was designed that way it should be fine. It's just weird for me knowing it's warm all day.

Durante

I could imagine this depends on if they are also trying to get a PSVR version out, in which case they probably resort to simple button press actions (reloading, scavenging etc) instead of more interesting manual actions.
If they actually get a working PS4 VR version of any of their games out I'll be surprised.

Never mind 120 or even 90 FPS, you do at the very least need 60 for reprojection, and their open world RPGs are lucky to maintain a solid 30 on consoles.

My sister came to visit yesterday and requested that I let her play Holopoint on the Vive, which she's quite good at.

She was wearing this flowing dress that twirled in the air when she spun around or jumped up from a crouch. Made her look like a complete bad ass.

People say VR makes you look stupid, but I don't actually think that's true.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I certainly feel like john wick while playing space pirate trainer.

SteamVR is coming to mac guys! No more rebooting into Windows for me! :D

(except for the 95% of my games library that inevitably won't support macOS)

Durante

My sister came to visit yesterday and requested that I let her play Holopoint on the Vive, which she's quite good at.

She was wearing this flowing dress that twirled in the air when she spun around or jumped up from a crouch. Made her look like a complete bad ass.

People say VR makes you look stupid, but I don't actually think that's true.
Holopoint makes me look like a badass for 25 minutes, and then it makes me look like someone who is out of shape.

Seriously, it's still the single most physically demanding VR game I know of.

I've played a ton of QuiVR, is Holopoint different enough for me to appreciate it?

You have to constantly evade projectiles in Holopoint and have to turn around 360 degree all the time, QuiVR is way more forgiving.
Not sure if you also would like Holopoint when you like QuiVR, they are quite different in nature... I mean you use a bow and arrow but one is a tower defence like game and the other is more a training mode for ninjas lol... maybe I'm over exaggerating things.

So, my headset just refuses to track anymore... I would barely have time to start Superhot and throw the first punch before the controllers lost tracking and then the headset.

I spent today 3,5hrs on chat support without solving absolutely nothing after doing stuff ranging from covering the floor with bedsheet to updating my mobo's bios.

Frustrated is a very mild word for my current situation. Thank god a friend is willing to lend me his tomorrow to do some troubleshooting of every component separately. In the end the chat support person (went through 3 of them) did not even propose a solution. He just told me to update my bios and check a couple of settings there that did not help at all.

/rant

So, my headset just refuses to track anymore... I would barely have time to start Superhot and throw the first punch before the controllers lost tracking and then the headset.

I spent today 3,5hrs on chat support without solving absolutely nothing after doing stuff ranging from covering the floor with bedsheet to updating my mobo's bios.

Frustrated is a very mild word for my current situation. Thank god a friend is willing to lend me his tomorrow to do some troubleshooting of every component separately. In the end the chat support person (went through 3 of them) did not even propose a solution. He just told me to update my bios and check a couple of settings there that did not help at all.

/rant

Not sure how helpful this is but you could check the led's in your lighthouse boxes, I think when you look at them with you mobile-camera you can see them better and count if they are all lit up correctly?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I finally got around to trying Sariento.

Holy shit this is amazing. One of the best locomotion paradigms I've used in VR to date. You are a total undisputed complete badass. This game should be a showpiece of what VR is capable of, why it matters, and how to deliver it.

We really need to get away from pointing to Space Pirate Trainer as the go-to game to show off VR.

Not sure how helpful this is but you could check the led's in your lighthouse boxes, I think when you look at them with you mobile-camera you can see them better and count if they are all lit up correctly?

Thanks, but this is not the problem. I have had a base station replaced once already and the trouble I am having now is nothing like that. Thanks in any case.

jwc13ac

Anyone picking up the new Deluxe audio Strap tomorrow? Any known brick and mortar stores that will carry it? I've got a Microsoft store near me, thinking that may work.

I've been holding off on playing this to death until I get that!

Another note, is that Star Trek game worth looking into if i don't have any friends that have VR? Is there a matchmaking? How's the community? Thanks!!

Anyone picking up the new Deluxe audio Strap tomorrow? Any known brick and mortar stores that will carry it? I've got a Microsoft store near me, thinking that may work.

Another note, is that Star Trek game worth looking into if i don't have any friends that have VR? Is there a matchmaking? How's the community? Thanks!!

I have a Microsoft store preorder. Seems like they've begun shipping in the past couple days. EDIT: Actually just checked and mine shipped yesterday lol.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow just finished up FORM and then played steam home Vr which is awesome. A bunch of dudes are building a ramp off the side of the plane wing and rolling balls down it. I was just throwing TVs off the side. It was insane.

Valve just made this post announcing the roadmap for what they're calling SteamVR Tracking 2.0:

This new sensor technology is part of what we call SteamVR Tracking 2.0. The main features of 2.0 are:

• Support for more than two base stations
  • Base stations that are smaller, quieter, lower power, more reliable, and less expensive than their 1.0 counterparts
  • Better performance by reducing the number of moving parts and sources of manufacturing variation.
Because the new Valve-built base stations don't include a sync blinker, one side-effect of the sync-on-beam technology in tracking 2.0 is that those base stations will only work with TS4231-based devices. Valve-built base stations will not work with older 1.0 devices. The older 1.0 base stations will continue to work with new devices, just without any of the new features. Valve will have base stations available in production quantities starting in November 2017. If you would like engineering samples of those base stations, let us know. Those will be available in June.

The following diagram describes the compatibility breakdown of 1.0 vs. 2.0 base stations and devices.

gE283Bc.jpg

Pretty interesting.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The ending of that game FORM was pretty powerful. That game has a couple of moments that are worth the price of admission alone. Definitely not the perfect package but whats there is very compelling. I really really liked the final sequence though.

None of my friends with VR have jumped in yet, but I've been really enjoying Star Trek. It is definitely dependent on matchmaking, but so far I've had a lot of luck w/ my groups, only one time do I feel like I got a bad pairing. When you get a good team assembled it's simply sublime.

If you like Star Trek at all definitely go buy it right now. If you're not a big fan, I still think it's worth a look, but it's a harder sell.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its weird. I feel bad. I LOVE Star Trek but something about that game just isn't really grabbing me.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
This is totally random but I was thinking about it today: You know what would be an awesome game for Valve to resurrect as one of their three VR titles? Stars of Blood. This makes so much sense to me I'll be sad if it isn't the case now.

Moondrop

Banned
Yeah, it's pretty great if you like Star Trek. Amazing sense of presence even though it seems shallow. You can choose "Quick Match" and they toss you right into a four-person lobby; I don't think there's an algorithm behind it, but who knows. As for the community, well, it's online video game players. Most people are cool; I've run into one bad apple so far. Just do the tutorials so you have a sense of each role and you should be fine.

jwc13ac

Yeah, it's pretty great if you like Star Trek. Amazing sense of presence even though it seems shallow. You can choose "Quick Match" and they toss you right into a four-person lobby; I don't think there's an algorithm behind it, but who knows. As for the community, well, it's online video game players. Most people are cool; I've run into one bad apple so far. Just do the tutorials so you have a sense of each role and you should be fine.

Thanks guys, good to know. I'm gonna hop on soon. Only real multiplayer Vive game I've played is Rec Room and it's... hit or miss. Looking for a more mature game.

Something tells me a bad Apple may make this kind of funny tho.. we'll see!!

Moondrop

Banned
Something tells me a bad Apple may make this kind of funny tho.. we'll see!!
Yeah, it kind of was. Arguing sarcastically with your last remaining officer as the ship goes down in flames around you is the kind of meta experience that powers the game. I may post the whole livejournal in the OT. ;)

Its weird. I feel bad. I LOVE Star Trek but something about that game just isn't really grabbing me.

I know why I'm not that excited about it (because it's a heavily multiplayer focused sitting experience), the main draw for the majority. It's actually fun watching people enjoying the game as it is but I don't want to engage in it myself.
I'd probably jump on it if it was more than a sitting bridge crew. Would be cool to roam the ship (partly you did this in the old Voyager Elite Force game), doing engineer tasks, quest like missions. Being part of the crew but not involved in the politics and actions of the bridge. Running around the ship while it's being invaded or affected by an alien entity. I find that more interesting than what you do as a part of the bridge crew, pushing buttons on command while sitting in your chair. I want to be send around the ship to repair stuff and avoid hazardous situations. Taking part in diplomatic ceremonies of crazy alien folks etc.

Makai

How bad will my tracking be if I stick my sensors opposite from each other flat against the walls instead of in the corners? I have to get special equipment to mount otherwise

How bad will my tracking be if I stick my sensors opposite from each other flat against the walls instead of in the corners? I have to get special equipment to mount otherwise

What do you mean "flat aginst the wall"? Why?

Why is it not possible to use the 2 jointed pieces that come with the Vive for wall mounting instead, which would give you the ability to position them the way you want? (you can even mount them to another mount/adapter so you don't need to screw them into the wall themselves)

Paganmoon

You'll probably not have very good tracking at the corners, when facing the corners as you run a high chance of obscuring both lighthouses. I wouldn't recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom