• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Not sure about the quality, it seems we are getting lots of this kind of games but the psvr fans seems to be very hyped for it for some reason

Lakuza

Not sure about the quality, it seems we are getting lots of this kind of games but the psvr fans seems to be very hyped for it for some reason

makes sense since i don't think psvr has any early access titles so there's not as many wave shooters on it which like you said, we have a ton of.

ArtHands

Well that explains why they are so hyped over it.

Anyway, Steam page for Reaching for Petals VR is up. There is already a non-VR version of the game available for sale on Steam, and the studio told me that this VR version is an entirely separate version. The good news is if you buy 1 copy of either version, you get the other version for free. Apparently they couldn't deliver it as a single game with optional VR, as the VR version is rebuilt from the ground up and is actually a completely different application.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/720290/Reaching_for_Petals_VR_Edition/

It's short but seeing as you couldn't get the lego version you'll get a kick out of this.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/381940/Trials_on_Tatooine/

Oh I knew there was something I kept forgetting to grab, thanks. Actually got a number of free things and demos now...

Including the Budget Cuts demo, which I just played after getting the Vive and setting it up yesterday. I love it, it gave a great sense of presence and I loved how the teleporting tool was handled. I actually ran into my bookshelves trying to get away from some robots!

Josman

Ok, so after 3 WEEKS of trying to solve my Rift tracking issues, including buying a PCI-E USB 3.0 card, I finally solved my issues. Turns out my Asus z87 mATX MoBo USB controllers weren't fully compatible, a simple BIOS update did the job, was about to return the damn thing.

So, now that I feel confident buying VR games, what would you recommend gaffers? Got $60 to spend, I want a polished experience, Superhot seems like a safe choice, but would you recommend Rick and Morty (fan of the show), Chronos, Wilson's Heart or Lone Echo? Also, what is considered right now the showcase horror game? preferably without cheap jump scares.

Edit: Oh and btw, 30ft USB active extension cables work

Tain

Hope Talos has some kind of discount for prior owners. I've been sitting on that one ever since I heard a VR release was coming.

Ok, so after 3 WEEKS of trying to solve my Rift tracking issues, including buying a PCI-E USB 3.0 card, I finally solved my issues. Turns out my Asus z87 mATX MoBo USB controllers weren't fully compatible, a simple BIOS update did the job, was about to return the damn thing.

So, now that I feel confident buying VR games, what would you recommend gaffers? Got $60 to spend, I want a polished experience, Superhot seems like a safe choice, but would you recommend Rick and Morty (fan of the show), Chronos, Wilson's Heart or Lone Echo? Also, what is considered right now the showcase horror game? preferably without cheap jump scares.

I can't necessarily suggest it over the other games you've listed as I haven't played them yet, but I'll always vouch for Chronos. Long, polished, and extremely good if "Souls but with less customization and occasional classic RE style puzzles" sounds at all good to you.

Beat your highscore :p Enjoyed the beatmap, the timing was spot on. Was a nice surprise to see who you are in the game, recognised you from some of my scoreboards :D

Thanks for checking it out, glad you enjoyed it! I'll be back for that high score ;)

Releases October 17. Includes Road to Gehenna content.

Croteam are just the best. Can't wait to get stuck in to that, the main game was so compelling and I've heard nothing but good things about the expansion. What I liked about TP over, say, the Witness was it felt satisfyingly physical placing things around the levels to solve the puzzles and I bet that translates over to VR well.

Josman

Hope Talos has some kind of discount for prior owners. I've been sitting on that one ever since I heard a VR release was coming.

I can't necessarily suggest it over the other games you've listed as I haven't played them yet, but I'll always vouch for Chronos. Long, polished, and extremely good if "Souls but with less customization and occasional classic RE style puzzles" sounds at all good to you.

Actually, I'm hearing Lone Echo is the way to go, but I've been very tempted to get Chronos instead, those reasons you mention resonate with what I want, I'll trust you and give it a try first

Lakuza

New soundboxing challenges:

Got so close to getting the high score on my challenge on out of space - prodigy, got 100% punches but lost first place(who has 97% accuracy) by 100k points T_T (that took so many attempts too lol). I should be able to get it tommorrow hopefully.

Thanks for checking it out, glad you enjoyed it! I'll be back for that high score ;)
a few people beat my highscore earlier today so you're gonna have to punch hard to beat their highsores :p

I recommended a few games on the previous page, its a long post where I give good and bad points for each game, so follow the quote to the original post for all the details/mini reviews since I cut them out below to keep this post short.
Here's a few recommendations:

Superhot VR:
*snip*

Lone Echo (Oculus store)
*snip*

Mages Tale: (oculus store)
*snip*

Chronos (Oculus Store)
*snip*

Thumper
*snip*

Raw Data
*snip*

Gunheart
*snip*

Audioshield (steam store)
*snip*

Soundboxing (steam store)
*snip*

Robo Recall
*snip*

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I can’t wait to try out the talos principle!

ArtHands

I almost purchased the non-VR version of Talos Principle when it got a major sales earlier this year, thinking that they may just release a VR DLC for it to make it VR.

Then I remembered Serious Sam VR and didn't put down the money.

derFeef

Did anyone try Dimension Hunter?
It looks really neat, also 40% off right now and a big update is coming soon according to the devs.
ss_b613f60d96a0eda585e576441e32a6a1bb001466.600x338.jpg

ad76784d9fad57ac607d94022ead6f951cac721b.jpg
http://store.steampowered.com/app/501350/Dimension_Hunter/

Lakuza

I assumed Talos principle was a walking simulator type game but looking at the reviews and screenshots on steam, looks like I was completely wrong and it looks like more of an exploration+puzzle solving game. Also seems to be at least 8 hours long based off the steam reviews which is good. Still not sure if this game is for me though but will consider it more closer to its release.

I liked lone echo and hated unfinished swan on ps3 (was way too slow and got really bored of it) if that helps anyone get an idea on my tastes.

The more i read about this, the more interested I get. Also lol'd at the avengers styled gif in that blog where they take their weapons out, can see this game being really fun when playing with others (giving rec room vibes too in a good way).

I assumed Talos principle was a walking simulator type game but looking at the reviews and screenshots on steam, looks like I was completely wrong and it looks like more of an exploration+puzzle solving game. Also seems to be at least 8 hours long based off the steam reviews which is good. Still not sure if this game is for me though but will consider it more closer to its release.

It's mostly a game about puzzles, and there are a lot of them. On the flat screen version I've played over 15 hours and while I've done all the regular puzzles from the base game, I've yet to complete the DLC.

Grug

Y'all seen the huge REC ROOM news?

Cross platform play with PSVR owners this year.

Ugh, I hope this doesn't sound elitist but not sure this is all that great. I've rarely had a good experience with a console online community.

I've enjoyed my short time with Rec Room and the community seems unusually awesome. I hope the dynamic doesn't shift too much.

Ugh, I hope this doesn't sound elitist but not sure this is all that great. I've rarely had a good experience with a console online community.

I've enjoyed my short time with Rec Room and the community seems unusually awesome. I hope the dynamic doesn't shift too much.

At the moment the online PSVR community is probably the better console community as it is primarily people in their later 20's and upwards. Don't see it staying like that for long. The worst at the moment is people having a gathering and trying VR whilst the mic is on.

Anyone has a clue why there arent that many Dungeon Crawlers in VR? Every time a new one gets released on Steam I always hope for VR support, but its not there.

After playing Dreadhalls and that (mediocre) Crystal Rift that Genre seems perfect for VR, but sadly I dont see many VR Dungeon Crawlers.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Anyone has a clue why there arent that many Dungeon Crawlers in VR? Every time a new one gets released on Steam I always hope for VR support, but its not there.

After playing Dreadhalls and that (mediocre) Crystal Rift that Genre seems perfect for VR, but sadly I dont see many VR Dungeon Crawlers.

vanishing realms is the best we got so far

would kill for a good d&d online dungeon crawler

Lakuza

Yeah. But there is nothing more, is there?

have you tried mages tale? it balances combat and puzzle solving when it comes to frequency so it may not be like most dungeon crawlers where its non stop fighting from each room to corridor, but still worth playing (took me roughly 10 hours to complete and I had missed some treasures/secrets like spell modifiers for crafting new spells)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

I had a lot of fun with VR Dungeon Knight and I think it has gotten substantial updates since I last checked it out.

ArtHands

Croteam will offer discount for the talos principle vr if you have the non-vr version

Screenshot-546.png

Croteam will offer discount for the talos principle vr if you have the non-vr version

Screenshot-546.png

That response just made me want to buy the VR version. I don't even like that game all that much, and only own that game because it was in a bundle, but I will support a Dev when they talk like that. Good on them.

120v

there's quite a bit on steam if you're willing to do some digging. can't speak for their quality but i seem to always run across a couple

personally i'm waiting for Mage's Tale to get a price drop. and i have my eye on Left Hand Path but waiting on more impressions and its still early access

Lakuza

http://store.steampowered.com/app/707580/AFFECTED_The_Manor/
Steam page for HTC Vive version of AFFECTED: The Manor is live! Coming in October

oh, surprised this wasn't on steam already. Own this on gear vr and oculus and its my go to game to showcase vr horror to people who have never experienced it.

Lasts between 10-30 minutes(30 minutes for people new to gaming) and really simple to play since all you can do is move around and shine a torch around (although the game will choose when it works and when it doesn't, this is scripted not random).

vermadas

From Other Suns - Open Beta is now live

We're excited to announce that From Other Suns will be running an Open Beta Weekend September 29-October 1st! This Beta will allow us ability to collect feedback from players and work on any improvements for the final release. The Beta is limited to 10 FTL Jumps and your session will end after the 10th jump. However, you can start over as many times as you want and each run through will be different. You can also play co-operatively online. Saves will not be transferable to the final release.

20GB download.

Lakuza

More soundboxing challenges I made today and I would rank them easy/medium in difficulty since most of them are slow/tame songs:

awesome :O Will definately be having a go at this over the weekend.
This is from the devs of dead & buried and chronos right? if so, I have complete faith in that studio :)

seems like you need atleast 1 person in your friends list to see public games in the beta. I have none so feel free to add me in the oculus friends list. my name on it is "lakuza" (and i'm Dark Sora on steam to avoid confusion). Drop me a message on here (or pm) if you send me one so I know who you are if your username is different to neogaf.

Finally played through almost all of rez’s area x in VR (died to the boss)

My god.

It was incredible, I want a whole new Rez game based on that. The visuals were stunning, the music great, the whole thing was magical

Lakuza

spent the past 3 hours in From other suns beta. Loved it despite the game crashing 3-4 times,this is a day 1 buy for me :). Completed a playthrough from start to finish with 2 random players who were really fun to laugh and play with :D

Will definately play it again tommorrow to see the other weapons and missions I didn't see in that playthrough. There was one mission where pirates were trying to escape a space station with secret blueprints, when we reached the dock there were a ton of enemies shooting at us and we didn't realise we could damage the ship until it started to launch. Turns out we had to shoot the orbs on the sides of the ship until they turned red, we must have missed one since it took off and we failed the mission so returned to our ship emtpy handed.

Seems to be a good variety of guns too and I never saw them all in a single playthrough so interested to see which ones are left to see in the beta.

Theres a Holographic shield (if anyone watches agents of shield, its basically Phil Coulsons hologram shield, really cool stuff :p ) and plasma beam (laser flamethrower that causes enemies to burn and melt were probably stand out ones for me.

It would be nice if they made more objects interactable like picking up mugs and random objects like so many vr games allow, just to increase the potential of messing about when in co-op.

Top Bottom