• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller Fool Us is back with season 2! You can watch online!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrog

Oh that makes sense. She makes the final shuffle, so she knows where the card is. I just assumed that each card was marked and memorized all of the marks.

Yeah, either way it's a pretty impressive memory trick. No wonder they kept telling us she went to Yale, LOL.

I kept on thinking of Gob Bluth during Greg Wilson's act.

P&t's rabbit out of the hat trick was stupid. You can clearly see Teller pull out the rabbit he was hiding in the back of his jacket and place it in the hat. Although there isn't probably any other way to do it.

Aiii

So not worth it
That woman that was cosplaying Ariana Grande and called herself Kat during the P&T trick was a weird one.

They renewed it for a 3rd season today, along with another season of Whose Line.

Yaaaas! I hope they don't run out of good magicians. I'm affraid we'll be seeing diminishing returns OR repeat magicians doing different tricks. I'de be okay with that if Shin Lim is one of them that comes back

edit: the female magician reminded me of Anna Kendrick

zulux21

Yaaaas! I hope they don't run out of good magicians. I'm affraid we'll be seeing diminishing returns OR repeat magicians doing different tricks. I'de be okay with that if Shin Lim is one of them that comes back

edit: the female magician reminded me of Anna Kendrick

there are likely a number of good magicians out there still.

beyond that bringing back a number that put on a great show but didn't fool them (even though they wish they could say it did so they could work with them) wouldn't be a bad thing.

Downhome

I'm catching up on my DVR and just saw Shim Lin. I just, I don't even have the words for that. That was one of the greatest performances I have ever seen.

Aiii

So not worth it
This episode was the best one of the season. So many great performances, the silent guy was great fun. The first guy, wow at that trick.

Good stuff.

Penn is looking amazing after all of the weight he lost, haven't listened to his podcast in a while, but he used to sound so unhealthy, coughing and spluttering all of the time. Good on him.

rakhir

After watching this trick on repeat i think the only way moment he could get them all up is
when he was showing the scrambled deck and getting P&T to stick their cards in. He must have been turning them all after showing them to the camera. BUT there's a problem with my theory: after that he does one more thing, splits the deck again and shows the halves to P&T saying 'some cards are faced up some are faced down", and if in that moment P&T actually see that he is telling the truth then my theory is busted.

satriales

After watching this trick on repeat i think the only way moment he could get them all up is
when he was showing the scrambled deck and getting P&T to stick their cards in. He must have been turning them all after showing them to the camera. BUT there's a problem with my theory: after that he does one more thing, splits the deck again and shows the halves to P&T saying 'some cards are faced up some are faced down", and if in that moment P&T actually see that he is telling the truth then my theory is busted.

Lennart Green actually does the same trick and it is a surprisingly simple solution:
Everything is exactly as you see it until right at the very end when he asks Penn and Teller to put their cards back. At this point he is going through the entire deck card by card and splitting it into two piles depending on if a card is face up or face down. You then see him cut the deck and turn one half over so all cards are facing the same way.

AMUSIX

Some great moments on this show. This week's episode, watching both Penn and Teller in the first act was awesome. They both know what will happen, they both know what to look for, and they both know they're missing it. Right at 5:40 when Teller starts to laugh, he already knows that the guy fooled them.

The other moment I really liked was in last week's episode with Greg Wilson's act. The act itself wasn't anything new or different, but just seeing Penn and Teller's face when Mark Wilson and Nani Darnell come out was great. Seeing them truly starstruck is just entertaining, and I liked that they gave the Fooled Us out of respect for them.

harSon

Banned
Some great moments on this show. This week's episode, watching both Penn and Teller in the first act was awesome. They both know what will happen, they both know what to look for, and they both know they're missing it. Right at 5:40 when Teller starts to laugh, he already knows that the guy fooled them.

The other moment I really liked was in last week's episode with Greg Wilson's act. The act itself wasn't anything new or different, but just seeing Penn and Teller's face when Mark Wilson and Nani Darnell come out was great. Seeing them truly starstruck is just entertaining, and I liked that they gave the Fooled Us out of respect for them.

I laughed when Penn stares down his front jacket pocket with the handkerchief when having a seat the table.

For some reason I'm having playback issues. The video refuses to load. I have Adobe Flash 18.0.0.232 installed. Does anyone else have problems playing the video?

wagamer

The whole cwtv.com has been down for me for the last few days, is this only my problem? Everything else works though.

dLMN8R

It's disappointing that the trick Simon Pegg participated in was by far the most blatantly stupid and obvious trick in the history of the entire show.

From the second he started, I was thinking "wait how do we know that watch actually works and is actually changing time when he's spinning the dial?"

The fact that he never once even tried to show the audience the face of the watch was total amateur hour.

Separately, any ideas for how P&T's own trick worked? I guess they forced the QH pick somehow but it wasn't super clear how they forced it since I thought they were using a real deck.

Lennart Green actually does the same trick and it is a surprisingly simple solution:
Everything is exactly as you see it until right at the very end when he asks Penn and Teller to put their cards back. At this point he is going through the entire deck card by card and splitting it into two piles depending on if a card is face up or face down. You then see him cut the deck and turn one half over so all cards are facing the same way.
There's no way he can manually flip them over that fast....is there?

It's disappointing that the trick Simon Pegg participated in was by far the most blatantly stupid and obvious trick in the history of the entire show.

From the second he started, I was thinking "wait how do we know that watch actually works and is actually changing time when he's spinning the dial?"

The fact that he never once even tried to show the audience the face of the watch was total amateur hour.

Separately, any ideas for how P&T's own trick worked? I guess they forced the QH pick somehow but it wasn't super clear how they forced it since I thought they were using a real deck.

It was a
entire deck of QH's. Only the bottom card was different. He even turns the deck away from the camera when he shuffled. I guess if you went for the bottom card, Penn would come over and kick your ass for being a smartarse.

Also yeah, I hate to be mean but that watch trick felt painfully underdeveloped. You don't even show the hands moving when you're twisting the dial?

And that card trick was REALLY good.

jett

D-Member

Yeah, I thought the clock trick was dumb as fuck. Not sure what was the guy even doing in the show.

satriales

There's no way he can manually flip them over that fast....is there?

No he's not flipping the cards over, he's just separating them into two piles as he spreads them. His hands and the top cards block you from seeing it. So the bottom half of the deck is then face down, the top half is face up, and at the very end he quickly cuts the pack and rotates one half so that they are then all facing the same way.

Why was the watch guy fighting Penn's guess? Of course it was a gimmicked watch. Everybody watching knew that. He was just being a bad sport.

The hosts (especially Jonathan) are sometimes too kind on this show. "Well, you fooled the rest of us, and that's what counts!" Sorry, no. None of that is true.

The rest of the tricks were great, though.

Why was the watch guy fighting Penn's guess? Of course it was a gimmicked watch. Everybody watching knew that. He was just being a bad sport.

How do you think it was done? Just curious. I'm pretty sure, but I think Penn was emphasising the wrong cues when he talked about "a specific watch that doesn't change the time when you pull the rotary pin out". I think his hints were just confusing the guy.

Won

I felt bad for watch guy. Didn't really belong on such a stage. But at least he got to meet Simon Pegg.

That said I also felt kinda bad for Simon Pegg.

How do you think it was done? Just curious. I'm pretty sure, but I think Penn was emphasising the wrong cues when he talked about "a specific watch that doesn't change the time when you pull the rotary pin out". I think his hints were just confusing the guy.

I don't really care about the specifics. All that matters is it's not a normally functioning watch. So there's no baseline for the trick.

Nose Master

Confetti act was neat, but it was just as obvious as the watch guy, he just took it in stride.

They pretty much explained it verbatim afterwards, but he's clearly just palming single colored confetti with the wand grab, and that "mistake" was to clear out the random stuff from the jar.

I don't understand tricks like the watch one, though. The spectacle of the finish completely tosses out any delusion of randomness for the sake of "lol look the money adds up to the time, PEACE!"

First guy was amazing just because of Penn's reactions.

kingocfs

Finally caught up on this show, really hope they renew it because it's just fantastic.

Confetti act was neat, but it was just as obvious as the watch guy, he just took it in stride.

I thought it was tremendous if only because of the performance. Apparently Nate Dendy was in Teller's production of The Tempest from last year which looked like it was awesome.

I don't really care about the specifics. All that matters is it's not a normally functioning watch. So there's no baseline for the trick.

Yeah that was very obvious. No one was ever shown the watch's face beforehand. In magic, you must constantly do things that make the trick seem "fair" for it to be believable. When Simon Pegg was winding the watch ( and the watch face was not being shown while he was doing this ) I never once believed he was changing the hands on the watch. And the hands were probably vanished at the end by a slip cover or something similar.

kingocfs

Good news! They already have.

Data-yes_zpsd9c67b3d.gif

I finally caught up on the show, have seen every episode now. I think my favorites from everything so far, fooled or unfooled, are:

Phone book/sword guy
Shin Lim
A guy from S1, who had a deck of blank cards that spelled out the selected card when fanned out
Mac King

dLMN8R

Ok, how did the first guy do the trick with the dollar bills? Did he have a fake/trick bill? When he swapped the bill with the guy in the audience, it was super unclear whether he actually kept the audience members' bill instead of his own.

And the second trick was just nuts. Even if he could hear the guy dealing those cards and know 4D that way, I don't get how he got every other card to be blank. Did he force the 4D selection? How??

Ok, how did the first guy do the trick with the dollar bills? Did he have a fake/trick bill? When he swapped the bill with the guy in the audience, it was super unclear whether he actually kept the audience members' bill instead of his own.

And the second trick was just nuts. Even if he could hear the guy dealing those cards and know 4D that way, I don't get how he got every other card to be blank. Did he force the 4D selection? How??

There are ways to tear paper and quickly reseal it using a mild adhesive. Penn mentioned though that he couldn't find the seams, so apparently the guy has an extra special method of doing so.

A force seems most likely with the second trick, especially if it wasn't a deck swap like he said.

Aiii

So not worth it
I could literally see almost every move the older guy made with his coins, except the vanish, not sure if he got slower with age, or if the angle of the camera betrayed him.

I could literally see almost every move the older guy made with his coins, except the vanish, not sure if he got slower with age, or if the angle of the camera betrayed him.
I think it was the camera angle being lower than what that trick should be viewed at, cause I was noticing it a lot too.

zeopower6

Some said he was having pretty visible tremors during the act. It is a bit odd to see that they gave away a bit of a 'lifetime achievement' Fool Us again when he dropped coins and such but it is what it is.

IZZwlQS.gif

I wonder if Penn caught that coin bounce up close.

There have been some decent magicians this season but I don't think anyone has come close to Shin Lim (maybe Rubiks Cube guy comes a little close).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom