• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller Fool Us is back with season 2! You can watch online!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried watching the newest episode last night but the player crapped out on me. Did get to watch the first act. He did pretty good!

Finally struggled through the latest episode. Stupid CW player. Their last trick is always nice. For David Roth because of his shaky hands, I did manage to see some of the sleight of hand but it was still great watching him. Jade was pretty great but that's the part that kept locking up :(. Good episode overall~!

Fusebox

Banned
The second part is an application of mentalism principles heavily involving suggestion. I'm about 75% sure how she did it, but can't be sure unless you speak to her. My STRONG guess is that when she said draw whatever you want and made a point to show her busty self, most people would assume she meant 'woman', when in fact, she was subliminally pointing out how flowery the material on the front of her blouse was. Her breasts accentuated it. When asking to keep it simple and draw immediately after, most people will draw what you direct them to. Thus, the flowers.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was at least part of the force - however she did it I had 'flowers' in my head when it came to choosing something to draw too.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was at least part of the force - however she did it I had 'flowers' in my head when it came to choosing something to draw too.

That's why whenever I'm at a magic show, before hand I preselect my card, simple design, number, suit, etc... can't force me!

bounchfx

watching the latest episode, I'm so confused. did the 3 card kid fool them or not? I'm assuming not, but I thought they would at least explain how he did or did not fool them, instead he just got a little prize? it was kind of hilarious..

unless when penn said he was 'two faced' it was in reference to the cards having both king and 9s? if so, how does that happen? heat?
either way he did great and the end was funny.

Clydefrog

There was a shot of the audience in this week's show that was so gif-worthy. She basically said a OMG and turned to her friend.

jerd

Finally struggled through the latest episode. Stupid CW player. Their last trick is always nice. For David Roth because of his shaky hands, I did manage to see some of the sleight of hand but it was still great watching him. Jade was pretty great but that's the part that kept locking up :(. Good episode overall~!

I thought the same thing about Roth and i definitely saw a coin palmed at one point very clearly without looking for it but Penn and Teller were very kind and showed respect as always

hamchan

I get the feeling P&T knew everything about David Roth's act but decided to not expose anything and give him the award out of respect.

Platy

I get the feeling P&T knew everything about David Roth's act but decided to not expose anything and give him the award out of respect.

They said in the Farquhad thing last season that if they don't see WHEN it happened they were fooled.

Classic tricks are easier to see because they know WHAT to look for, but you can be good to hide WHEN.

If Roth himself said that the last ones probably fooled then it might be because it was not a classic version of the trick

zeopower6

There was a shot of the audience in this week's show that was so gif-worthy. She basically said a OMG and turned to her friend.

YAgAt4L.gif

Was it this girl? Of all the acts for them to show a reaction during, lol...

Risible

WTF at that Oz video. How??

So if we're assuming the judges are on the up and up, I guess he would have to have an accomplice in the audience? But then how to get the Top Gun reference? Then again the Oprah pick would have to be a force because unless you were the world's best silhouette cutter that had to be pre-prepped.

The more I think about it seems like it could only be two things - one, we're not seeing the trick in its entirety and it's been edited for television, or two, the judges were in on it.

Thoughts?

WTF at that Oz video. How??

So if we're assuming the judges are on the up and up, I guess he would have to have an accomplice in the audience? But then how to get the Top Gun reference? Then again the Oprah pick would have to be a force because unless you were the world's best silhouette cutter that had to be pre-prepped.

The more I think about it seems like it could only be two things - one, we're not seeing the trick in its entirety and it's been edited for television, or two, the judges were in on it.

Thoughts?

Hrm. It's be some heavy corruption if the judges were in on it, so I doubt that. It's possible that Oz might've just really nailed the judges...like, Howie Mendel mentioning he really likes Top Gun could be, I dunno, public knowledge? So he caters the notebook to the people. It's a really good, good trick.

That is really an impressive cut out of Oprah though.

Risible

Hrm. It's be some heavy corruption if the judges were in on it, so I doubt that. It's possible that Oz might've just really nailed the judges...like, Howie Mendel mentioning he really likes Top Gun could be, I dunno, public knowledge? So he caters the notebook to the people. It's a really good, good trick.

That is really an impressive cut out of Oprah though.

Problem is, though, that Howard chose at random now that I think about it. Hmmmm....Maybe a stripper deck kind of thing for the notepad?

dLMN8R

Ok, I'm hopeless. How did the acts on last week's episode work?? I assume the kid had double-sided cards but it was really tough to tell. Jade's act though, no idea.

Problem is, though, that Howard chose at random now that I think about it. Hmmmm....Maybe a stripper deck kind of thing for the notepad?

Hrm. Again, if Howie at any point has said 'Tom Cruise is one of my favorites and Top Gun is one of my favorites also', then it's not hard to obtain that information. Howard Stern has likewise made fun of Oprah before, and is kinda vocal about her not being on his show or something? According to some quick Google browsing...

...so if he loaded that booklet with Oprah, and some other random famous females, his mind would probably wonder to Oprah first.

It'd be a huge gamble, but it'd be simply catering to the judges own tastes I suppose.

Ok, I'm hopeless. How did the acts on last week's episode work?? I assume the kid had double-sided cards but it was really tough to tell. Jade's act though, no idea.

He probably is just very good at sleight of hand. That said, his little flip wallet thingy probably has a hidden side to it?

zeopower6

I think Penn hinted at it for sure. The trick he got was Garrett Thomas' Stand Up Monte.

Jade's was a trick first performed by a Japanese group of magicians. The "ten ichi thumb tie" is what it seems to be called. Essentially, you take a thumb out of the loop and slide it back in quickly so that no one notices each time you make a pass through an object. It's a very convincing illusion if the magician is really good. :eek:

zulux21

Jade's was a trick first performed by a Japanese group of magicians. The "ten ichi thumb tie" is what it seems to be called. Essentially, you take a thumb out of the loop and slide it back in quickly so that no one notices each time you make a pass through an object. It's a very convincing illusion if the magician is really good. :eek:

yeah... hers was the easiest for me to see though and thus I wasn't impressed at all by it. while the actual performance after she got it set up was well done, while they were tying her hands and shortly after was just awkward to watch as she kept moving her hands in a weird way which made it completely obvious she was adjusting things to make it easier to slip in and out. As Penn said in an earlier episode, once you have a tell most acts tend to fall completely apart.

Hopefully the shows not off the air for 5 years again. I don't understand why its not more popular. Its made in like 2 days right? Was the ratings for the uk first season that horrid I wonder or is magic just back to being "uncool" now.

Hopefully the shows not off the air for 5 years again. I don't understand why its not more popular. Its made in like 2 days right? Was the ratings for the uk first season that horrid I wonder or is magic just back to being "uncool" now.
It's already renewed for another year, don't worry. It's a summer series on the CW. It doesn't need much ratings to be a success.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

The show will be back next Summer, so no worries there.

It's unfortunately niche programming that is thankfully cheap enough to produce and airs on a low-stakes environment, CW during the Summer season.

Risible

Hrm. Again, if Howie at any point has said 'Tom Cruise is one of my favorites and Top Gun is one of my favorites also', then it's not hard to obtain that information. Howard Stern has likewise made fun of Oprah before, and is kinda vocal about her not being on his show or something? According to some quick Google browsing...

...so if he loaded that booklet with Oprah, and some other random famous females, his mind would probably wonder to Oprah first.

It'd be a huge gamble, but it'd be simply catering to the judges own tastes I suppose.

He probably is just very good at sleight of hand. That said, his little flip wallet thingy probably has a hidden side to it?

I highly doubt it's down to chance, there's no way Oz Pearlman (who's a very good magician) is going to go on national TV with a "I hope this works" trick. There's no way it was anything but 100% success rate for him.

I highly doubt it's down to chance, there's no way Oz Pearlman (who's a very good magician) is going to go on national TV with a "I hope this works" trick. There's no way it was anything but 100% success rate for him.

Also did some researching. IT was a trick notepad similar to a stripper deck. Yep, alternating pages are shorter so if held the right way, the 'random' page that the subject lands on will be forced. From there, it's all patter.

Re: the oprah cut out was preset with a quick slight putting away the paper he was cutting and replacing it with the precut paper.

I don't think the judges are in on it. At least not until the GUMBALL trick, which angered me. Nick was clearly helping out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTvtre_R2TU

zeopower6

do we know when the finale is? I never saw anything about an episode count for this season.

The initial count of episodes when this was announced for a US run was 13 episodes so we still have a few to go.

Broadway World has "Where There's Smoke, There's Magic" for next week and "Teller Deflowers A Shadow" for the week after. Then there'll be... two more episodes before the end?

The initial count of episodes when this was announced for a US run was 13 episodes so we still have a few to go.

Broadway World has "Where There's Smoke, There's Magic" for next week and "Teller Deflowers A Shadow" for the week after. Then there'll be... two more episodes before the end?

Oooh, Teller deflowers a shadow? I absolutely love that trick from him. So damn beautiful.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anyone here watch America's Got Talent? I watch it purely for the magic acts, and there's a mentalist guy on there and I have no idea how he pulls his stuff off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_41ccCTwQP0

I imagine it's all suggestion but even then, I don't understand how he can do it so consistently and in consecutive order

Asbel

So I'm watching Franco's got Magic, but Fool Us has ruined these types of magic shows for me. I can't help but think camera tricks and editing [on Franco's show] which isn't impressive to me like slight of hand.

zulux21

So I'm watching Franco got Magic and Fool Us has ruin these type of magic shows for me. I can't help but think camera tricks and editing which isn't impressive to me like slight of hand.

fool us almost always has a disclaimer that they don't allow camera tricks o_O

for the latest episode, was the
lawyer
a sympathy win? He seemed puzzled that he fooled them and I noticed myself when he pocketed the box with the cards in the same hand. this show is teaching me to look for the moves, not sure how I feel about that

The magician with the coin trick has me wondering if the magicians that managed to fool Penn & Teller share their tricks back stage after the show is over. I know I would if I fooled them with an original trick.

dLMN8R

So the mentalist guy has a book which told Penn and Teller how he did it - anyone take a look to see how it was done?

MBison

So the mentalist guy has a book which told Penn and Teller how he did it - anyone take a look to see how it was done?

Haha I came here to ask the same exact thing. Anyoneeee? That's the hardest part watching this show, I must know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom