• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are sanding down their glossy black consoles

Noobcraft

Wii U actually looked pretty cool but the Xbox One was cringeworthy :(

I feel like the op owes me something for the trauma from that macbook pic though.

As a side note, how possible is it to reskin a console in aluminum? I would think it would help the thermal profile and could look great if it was done right.

Edit: kinda like this one but actual aluminum.
iCarbons_XBOX_ONE_Aluminum_icon_1024x1024.jpg

It looked ok but still no. Unless you're burning 100s in the fireplace.

I feel like part of the negativity comes from a lot of people not being able to afford these expensive machines and then people are just acting like if they break theirs it's not a big deal. But that's more subtle.

Noobcraft

Wow. That's looks great. I'm on the fence about the White XBO, but this one is right up my alley. I'm a sucker for electronics.

Lol I just googled "aluminum Xbox one" and that came up. It looks like its just a vinyl skin some company sells but it looks pretty cool. Microsoft should make a Halo 5 bundle that looks like that.

DJ_Lae

I like that WiiU.

Of course, it's probably because the black WiiU as is has one of the most disgusting dust and fingerprint attracting glossy finishes I've ever seen on a consumer electronic device.

Especially the gamepad. Holy shit.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
When I buy a console I put it away in a corner. I'm not a nerd who would sand it down, this is so pathetic.

The Wii U looks great. The Xbox is a little rough, but passable.

But that Apple computer... I mean what the heck! Why would you do that!? Apple computers are already premium products!

Tried to make a new thread on this but I'm still a junior. Anyway, I think I found an awesome and much better solution called Plasti Dip. it's a $6 can of spray that a lot of people are using to paint their rims and even their entire cars. The best part is that there's almost 0 prepping and it is easily removable once set.

Plasti Dipping Macbook Pro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXj0ET3vCIs

Removal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfdlM5daa04

I'm likely going to do this this weekend to the gloss section of my PS4. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Well I painted my PS4 with Plasti Dip, this stuff is awesome. I expected it to feel like plastic but it is actually a rubber coating which gave my PS4 a nice grippy texture. Like I said there was almost no prep work needed, just made sure the surface was clean. I painted it with 4 coats waiting 10min in between coats, once it felt dry to the touch I was able to peel it off from the PS logo fairly easily with a toothpick. It feels durable and it won't peel off unless you want it to. Lowes has an assortment of colors(http://www.lowes.com/Paint/Paint-Primer/Spray-Paint/_/N-1z0yrgb/pl?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1#!&N[]=1z0yau8&N[]=1z0yrgb) so I may eventually paint my PS4 a different color entirely. This is a better option since it's completely removable. Here are my results.

9b62f642-f3b5-4eaf-8729-8a428b9f848e_zps999e4b3f.jpg

IMG_20140829_105624_zpsbuvck9zh.jpg

bobawesome

Well I painted my PS4 with Plasti Dip, this stuff is awesome. I expected it to feel like plastic but it is actually a rubber coating which gave my PS4 a nice grippy texture. Like I said there was almost no prep work needed, just made sure the surface was clean. I painted it with 4 coats waiting 10min in between coats, once it felt dry to the touch I was able to peel it off from the PS logo fairly easily with a toothpick. It feels durable and it won't peel off unless you want it to. Lowes has an assortment of colors(http://www.lowes.com/Paint/Paint-Primer/Spray-Paint/_/N-1z0yrgb/pl?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1#!&N[]=1z0yau8&N[]=1z0yrgb) so I may eventually paint my PS4 a different color entirely. This is a better option since it's completely removable. Here are my results.

9b62f642-f3b5-4eaf-8729-8a428b9f848e_zps999e4b3f.jpg

IMG_20140829_105624_zpsbuvck9zh.jpg

Not bad at all. I'm tempted to do my hard drive cover.

edit: And my Vita...hmmmm...do I smell a possible project in the works?

If it were done a little better it would look really good.

I actually like the Wii U shown in the picture though.

Agreed. As absurd as sanding it down to get this type of look is, it looks far better than my Wii U which is horribly scratched because I had the audacity to dust it with a cloth one time once.

Glossy plastic makes anything look like a cheap thing. Sanding it down properly seems like a good idea to kill that cheap look.

Aluminum case... mmmmmm.... wants.

Edit: Radec, ya done good. Looks really really good compared to the original gloss.

It looks good on Wii U I assume because the Wii U is the most plastic looking. I really would not want to try this on my PS4 though.
Edit: Yeah, PS3 and PS4 do not enough gloss to be an issue. Going to try on Wii U later. Gloss plastic shows scratches way too easy.
Also white gloss is not bad, so no to XOne.

The wii u is fine.

All the others...

And
I like that WiiU.

Of course, it's probably because the black WiiU as is has one of the most disgusting dust and fingerprint attracting glossy finishes I've ever seen on a consumer electronic device.

Especially the gamepad. Holy shit.

RS4-

I think I might just pick up some plasti dip and do it to my ps4.

The wiiu looks good, as does the DS that Dice posted.

Top Bottom