• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People making jokes about Destiny 1.5 but the PvP is the most different I've seen

Yep, I went from hundreds of hours of destiny pvp to no longer giving a shit about two. Changes were for the worst.

I played the shit out of Destiny PvP in Year One from the Alpha right up until Taken King. Destiny 2 PvP is the clunkiest, most unfun multiplayer gameplay I've experienced. I'm so salty lol

Atilac

I put over 1200 hours into Destiny 1, I'm skipping Destiny 2. Shooting feels worse and the changes they made with weapon classes destroys weapon variaty - It is now two primaries the game. Imagine if Halo CE treated the sniper and shotgun like the rocket launcher with the same level of ammo scarcity, it would have fucking sucked.

jett

D-Member
That sounds worse to me.

I'm one of those Destiny players that preferred PVP over the repetitive grind that was PVE. So yeah, I'm not into those changes.

SgtCobra

I have yet to be sold on this game, the beta did absolutely nothing for me and I've put more than 1200 hours in the first one...
The pvp is just not fun in its current state, I get that they wanted to balance things out and that we're probably using early weapons with shit stats. But the thing is that there's still this whole slow ability cooldown thong going on.
PvE was a step in the right direction but weapons and abilities feel lackluster...

I doubt Bungie will be able to fix these "complaints" so I'm just gonna wait for impressions when the gsme releases before I decide if I dive in or not.

Kyne

keeping in mind that the current beta build is a couple of months old and they've already made a lot of updates, I'm not sure where I stand.

they drastically changed PvP to make it more 'skill based' , but not only did this ruin PvP but it also ruined PvE..

bah.

Angel_DvA

Not really--things haven't really changed that much. Fundamentally it's the same multiplayer, with a few tweaks on a few things (that will probably get canceled out with gear anyway).

There has been really no big shift or major addition in how the game is played.

Pretty much and the game sucks too.

Jawmuncher

I never even played the PvP and don't plan to when I play Destiny 2. So I think it makes sense it's not getting much talk since a lot of people just like the world stuff.

scoobs

Because the vast majority of people who enjoy Destiny do not enjoy it for the PVP. The PVP was utter shit, I'm glad they seem to be trying to fix it.

Karamsoul

Destiny 2 PvP is the game about shooting each other with primaries. Like every other shooter on the market.

Destiny 1 was unique because of it's chaos. Super, grenades, melees were available amost at any time. Now it looks like a boring esports game. Maybe it will be better with good equipment etc.

This. I am so disappointed. The management at Bungie are so fucking out of touch and stubborn in trying to force down our throats what they consider cool and different. If they actually cared they would've catered to both styles of players: 4v4 for strategic players and 6v6 for classic, carefree PvP.

Kssio_Aug

Because the vast majority of people who enjoy Destiny do not enjoy it for the PVP. The PVP was utter shit, I'm glad they seem to be trying to fix it.

To fix something you have to improve it, not to turn it upside down with a bunch of bad ideas.

I played the shit out of Destiny PvP in Year One from the Alpha right up until Taken King. Destiny 2 PvP is the clunkiest, most unfun multiplayer gameplay I've experienced. I'm so salty lol

I agree with this.

The sound of these changes is the total opposite of what i expect Destiny to be.

I agree there were some issues with PvP in D1 but they've went so far in the opposite direction, and destroyed what actually makes the game fun.

I don't always want to be playing like a sweaty. If I wanted to do that in D1 i'd play trials.

Sometimes I just wanted to play some Zone Control and Nova Bomb the shit out of control points that the enemy were capturing, or make a build that caused eniemies to explode and lob some grenades in there.

Sometimes, I just wanted to have some fun and try new things out, maybe go on the odd killing spree, throw a long range knife kill headshot, have some proper "Holy shit!" moments.

With D2, none of the above will be possible, and for me there is no longer any fun. No chaos.

Removing 6v6 is a massive mistake.

keeping in mind that the current beta build is a couple of months old and they've already made a lot of updates, I'm not sure where I stand.

they drastically changed PvP to make it more 'skill based' , but not only did this ruin PvP but it also ruined PvE..

bah.

They should have released a build that was more close to the final build then, with the changes in place.

All they have done now, is potential turn people away from the game with a build which is quite frankly horrendous.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is the PvP a tiny part of the game? Something along the lines of BGs in WoW?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, it's the one thing that kept folks playing the game. I wish there was an equivalent to Destiny that was more PvE centric.

That's quite disappointing, PvE is always my focus in MMOs. Hopefully there will be more to do in D2.

broony

It's definitely totally different. Whether it's better or not it subjective to each individual.

For me, I am somehow top of my team leaderboard 90% of the time, top player in the match 50% of the time. In d1 I was bottom third every game. Obviously because of this I'm loving it.

I've always been a decent shooter rather than an expert at abilities, and destiny 2 elevates me upwards in the leaderboard because of this. Again, you could argue this is subjectively better or worse. It's definitely had big changes.

bigJP

I agree with this.

The sound of these changes is the total opposite of what i expect Destiny to be.

I agree there were some issues with PvP in D1 but they've went so far in the opposite direction, and destroyed what actually makes the game fun.

I don't always want to be playing like a sweaty. If I wanted to do that in D1 i'd play trials.

Sometimes I just wanted to play some Zone Control and Nova Bomb the shit out of control points that the enemy were capturing, or make a build that caused eniemies to explode and lob some grenades in there.

Sometimes, I just wanted to have some fun and try new things out, maybe go on the odd killing spree, throw a long range knife kill headshot, have some proper "Holy shit!" moments.

With D2, none of the above will be possible, and for me there is no longer any fun. No chaos.

Removing 6v6 is a massive mistake.

They should have released a build that was more close to the final build then, with the changes in place.

All they have done now, is potential turn people away from the game with a build which is quite frankly horrendous.

4v4 doesn't mean all games will be sweaty. You can still do everything you want. Halo 3 social was far from sweaty and they managed 4v4

dreamfall

It just feels so cumbersome and slow. The time to kill another player is ridiculously long, full clip to bring down shield and then actually do damage just makes me feel like I'm wading through molasses. Power weapon ammo always gets the job done but the cool down timer is long too, peppered in with a couple specials - it just feels off for me.

I also think the strafing mixed with Halo like bounces makes for some cool shootouts but it certainly feels different.

Yea. Everything about the PvE section looks great, EXCEPT the change to dual primaries made to "fix" PvP.

SMH
I'm just imagining bullet sponge bosses without a sniper or Gjallarhorn... No thanks.

Maybe if they make scouts as good as Year One Vision of Confluence and have handcannons like year one Fatebringer...

ramyeon

Honestly, it's the one thing that kept folks playing the game. I wish there was an equivalent to Destiny that was more PvE centric.
This isn't really true. There are loads of people who kept playing Destiny (And still are today) without touching PVP. Heaps of people stuck around for the weekly activities and raids, especially after the AoT raids came out.

beta_fuse

The more I hear and read about this game the less I want it. Destiny wasn't perfect but it left me feeling that the sequel had potential to be great. So far that isn't the case.

KillLaCam

Banned
Yep, I went from hundreds of hours of destiny pvp to no longer giving a shit about two. Changes were for the worst.
Yeah it's pretty crazy. Like sure I was a sweaty player who cared about winning in Destiny 1. But I dont even have fun when I'm winning in Destiny 2. Everything just feels meh

PvE seems like it'll be better all around once they fix the cooldowns though. Games still worth getting if you liked that part

Sulik2

The beta confirms they actually did make destiny 2 not 1.5. they changed the fundamental feel and interaction of the mechanics, radically changed weapon loadouts and completely revamped pvp. The problem is every change they made feels worse then D1. I wish we were getting destiny 1.5, it would be a better game.

Kalentan

From what I played, I do like it better. Destiny 1's Crucible was just a cluster fuck and was too out of control. This feels far more in control and a lot more balanced.

T-0800

I'm a big fan of what they have done. I always preferred the small 3 vs 3 gametypes in D1 so making everything 4 vs 4 makes me happy.

Kalentan

I'm a big fan of what they have done. I always preferred the small 3 vs 3 gametypes in D1 so making everything 4 vs 4 makes me happy.

The smaller matches in D1 where the only time the PvP felt like it was 'working'.

I just don't get how people think they ruined Destiny's PvP.

You can't ruin what was already horrible. D2's PvP is a step up.

WinFonda

i remember people asking pretty much from the beginning of D1, to make special and heavy ammo sparse, and make the minute-to-minute gameplay more about primary gunplay

that's exactly what they've done with D2

the only difference is, anything with the potential to 1shot like snipers, pulse rifles, and shotguns have been classified as heavy weapons - which i think is GREAT... it was honestly absurd the way "special" guns were abused, particularly shotguns

the PVP is more skill based, 1v1s are more challenging and winning them is more rewarding... and if you win a 2v1? holy shit you feel like a god

Melchiah

Yea. Everything about the PvE section looks great, EXCEPT the change to dual primaries made to "fix" PvP.

SMH

It looks good visually, but it isn't a joy to play anymore. The Hunter feels less agile, the powers can only be used rarily, and you have less variety of weapons to use. Since you can now equip two same weapons simultaneously, they could also allow you to dual wield them.

EDIT:
This isn't really true. There are loads of people who kept playing Destiny (And still are today) without touching PVP. Heaps of people stuck around for the weekly activities and raids, especially after the AoT raids came out.

Yep. 611 hours and no PVP, outside of Sparrow Racing.

Fitts

This sounds... not good. I personally liked Destiny's PVP because it was different. Yeah I never touched Hunter and loathed the blink-shotgun shit, but it was fun coming up with counter strategies and staying a step ahead of the BS. When entire teams got bottlenecked into the same part of the map and it became a super/heavy ammo fest it was exhilarating and often hilarious. This just seems like they're sterilizing it to be like everything else.

And didn't they move to 4v4 max? Because that sucks. Should've made an effort to have fireteam size at least 6 for all activities. Having odd men out was always an issue in Destiny as it was for us.

Played Destiny 1 for the PvP for the better part of its lifecycle, pretty disappointed with what they put out in this beta. Will wait and see what it's like when the actual game is out, ofcourse.

4v4 doesn't mean all games will be sweaty. You can still do everything you want. Halo 3 social was far from sweaty and they managed 4v4

If you want to win or just not have a bad time it does. As soon as one person goes AFK or leaves, or is just quite frankly, not very good, then you're gonna have a bad time due to the team-shoot to kill mechanics.

You're no longer going to pull off something awesome in a 1v2 or 1v3 situation due to ability nerfs and/or changes to the damage model.

Besides all of that, the simple fact that 4v4 exists just makes no sense as the numbers don't work into anything for grouping up in other content.

Strikes? - Groups of 3.
Raids? - Groups of 6.

You'd need a group of 12 just to make it so that nobody is left out, which is fine for most of DGAF as there's loads of us but it's plain bad game design that PvE has been gimped to allow for more "balanced" (Read bland and boring) PvP.

Just like pretty much every change they've made in regards to D2, they've taken away "choice", in the favour of "balance".

Multiple PvP modes of varying map sizes and team sizes? - Gone.
Multiple perk choices for each subclass? - Gone.
Multiple weapon types for each of the 3 groups? - Gone, secondaries merge with heavy. Pick two primary instead.

There is literally not one thing I can think of that has been changed, which gives the player more variety and choice, which in some way, is not detrimental to another aspect. Not a single one.

Destiny 1 PvP wasn't very good (though could be mindless fun with a group of friends at times). The changes they made with 2 made it worse. And those changes also made PvE worse. So they managed to fail on every possible level.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Too reliant on primary weps IMO after finally playing some tonight.

It's like why have all of this other shit if it doesn't do enough dmg and/or has long cool downs.

Melee seems weak. Grenades feel weak and their cool down timer is redonk. Good luck getting your special. Plus I'm not totally sold on energy weps yet.

The one good change I would say is taking Sniper to heavy wep category. Though the control isn't exactly a big sniper map to begin with.

Have to agree the PvP feels genuinely different and much better thought out. I liked the ways they traded in cheap supers and excessive mobility for more fairly distrubuted mobility and also defensive options like warlom circles and titsn bubbles.

Top Bottom