• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People making the switch to PC, what's the common factor?

Granted what I've posted here is a anecdotal evidence but I believe if you've been paying attention, that you'll have seen this phenomena for yourself. If the posts I read on the internet are any indication than tons of people are dropping console gaming (or placing it on the backburner) in favor of PC gaming. For all I know there are a bunch of people who say this every console generation, but then again the last console generation turnover was almost 10 years ago.

Me playing PC only without the slightest thought to ever touch a console again.

This is true for me. Rare PC gamed before the beginning of this year until I made my own rig. Can't even remember the last time I played a game on consoles, and no intention to buy either PS4 or One.

I can't say what's caused these people to convert. Speaking strictly for myself, I don't want to wait a couple years for a new console to accumulate new games. I also want to be able to experience already released games on the most powerful platform available. Most importantly I think PC gaming has finally evolved beyond the niche. PC gaming has changed over the course of the last 8 years, since the beginning of the PS360 generation, into something console gamers would be more comfortable with. This is almost entirely thanks to the XBox 360 controller becoming the standard PC controller. Prior to there being a standardized PC controller, the PC would rarely/never get the types of games popular on consoles. Action games that aren't FPS that require the type of control that only analog sticks can provide.

Gone are the days of awkward joystick and terriple PC controller contraptions. PC gaming got a whole lot less intimidating and started getting console ports. PC/Console ports used to only work in one direction... PC->Console. Now you almost expect a PC release to follow most console releases. That's a relatively new phenomena.

In summary;

1. People don't want to wait for games.
2. People can play console games on their PCs.
3. You can use a PC for other things.

What are your thoughts?

Cuphead

Banned
I switched (well I buy multiplats on PC now) because I can always get them cheaper on PC.

Still buy the console exclusives I'm interested in though, I won't discount an entire platform as long as there are games I enjoy on it.

Cheaper on PC, runs better, and i'll have my games for far longer. In 10 years my PS3 won't be hooked up, but in 10 years I'll have a PC. It's the ultimate backwards compatibility

Rich!

cheaper games on PC, hooked up to my HDTV, can use a variety of controllers including wireless 360 pad, emulation, steam sales, guaranteed backwards compatibility, better graphics and performance

emag

Speaking for myself:

1. There are very few (if any) PS4/XBO exclusives I'm interested in.
2. Multiplatform games generally play best on a [suitably high-end] PC.
3. I have access to a WiiU.

The PS4 and Xbox One are selling much faster than previous gens, so are you sure this isn't about an increase in PC gaming, rather than people abandoning consoles?

Fl1pp13

Neo Member
One of the main reasons for me, other than cheap Steam Sales, is the ability to alt+tab and quickly check my mail or facebook.

Falk

that puzzling face
Backwards compatibility.

If it's not something the OS will run it's something someone out there will emulate for you.

edit: And modding. A proud tradition dating back to people messing around with custom Doom and Quake maps. Further, actually, but that's when I hopped in.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think more and more people care about things like graphics, IQ and framerate.

PC has games. Lots and lots and lots of games. Cheap games.

Powerful gaming PC's are not outlandishly expensive like they used to be.

There's probably not just one single common factor, but I think these are probably the big things that are getting people to jump over. Not that there isn't a million and one other reasons to get one. Its the ultimate gaming platform.

krishian

I've always been primarily a PC gamer, for many reasons already stated in this thread, but the main thing is that there are just far more interesting games on the PC (for me) compared to consoles.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Games are cheaper
Endless library of compatible games to play
Games I buy will continue to be compatible even if I upgrade my PC
Games generally look and perform better on PC
I can access my steam library from any PC
My SO and I don't need to fight over the TV
There are a lot of genres on PC that just don't exist on consoles

Dysun

Cheaper Games
Better IQ/Performance, top-end smokes the new consoles if you're willing to pay for it
Infinite Backlog
Mods
Better Communication Systems (How nice would chat be in Destiny?)
Free Online

What's not to like?

Vuze

I needed a new PC last year anyway so I decided to get a good CPU and a mid-end GPU instead of a PS4/XO (I already own a Wii U) to test if I like it after years of console-only gaming. Well, what can I say, having a blast ever since. There was no particular reason why I got (back) into PC gaming but all the 'mustard race'-talk about performance and game prices made me curious and was actually true in its core.

orava

Comments from friends and relatives:

Friends are getting one or already have one
Cheaper games, bigger selection, older games work too
Relatively cheap but powerful hardware these days
Fun to tinker and customize
Consoles have their pay models, have to pay for multiplayer etc. expensive games

Percy

Banned
Eh, for me it just worked out that way over the past few years. Nearly all my multiplatform titles gaming is done on PC where only a few years ago it would be rare I'd have bought PC games that regularly. A lot of it is down to the game prices, superior multiplats ( Mostly :/ ) and increasing publisher support for Steam.

Still got a fondness for some consoles due to games I can't get elsewhere of course (Need dem obscure ass Jap weeb games on PS3 and Nintendo titles) , but things have already reached a point for me where I can now do without Microsoft consoles completely at least... same could be true for the rest some day but for now I'm completely covered for all the worthwhile stuff with PC, 3DS, Wii U and PS4 I think.

The PS4 and Xbox One are selling much faster than previous gens, so are you sure this isn't about an increase in PC gaming, rather than people abandoning consoles?

I'd have thought this also, yes.

Stimpack

PC isn't what it used to be. The lines between PC and console, for the most part, have been blurred.

It's been standard fare for console controllers on the PC for a good while now.

They're a lot easier to set up than they used to be.

Technology isn't making huge leaps like it used to, so you can buy a CPU/GPU and feel relatively safe to ride out a generation.

Last generation really dragged on, and the PC isn't shackled like the console is in terms of hardware.

Stuff is not only cheaper, but it's also much faster in comparison to the consoles.

And of course the exosystem is more reliable with distributors like Steam.

PCs have become a part of every day life. They're used in a variety of ways, and having a beefy PC can have benefits beyond simply gaming.

It's become much easier to navigate and use PCs. It's no longer a chore. For most people, most of what you want to do is a simple 1-click solution.

While offering simplicity, the PC still offers and incredible amount of complexity and depth to those who desire it, which the consoles cannot and will not offer.

All of this said, I've played consoles since I was about 4 years old. The exclusives and
PS+
makes it a worthwhile investment for me. If I was forced to choose one or the other, though, I would choose a PC. If I didn't already have a decent PC, I would buy that before considering a console.

Seanspeed

Banned
I needed a new PC last year anyway so I decided to get a good CPU and a mid-end GPU instead of a PS4/XO
That's exactly how I came to get a gaming PC last year as well.

Best decision ever. Its ridiculous how much I'd have been missing if I'd gotten a next-gen console instead.

Daante

1. I like Steam
2. I like Xbmc
3. I like to have only one machine that can play the latest games AND play EVERY single media file i throw at it.

orava

I think you mean "because consoles are basically PCs now."

Consoles are moving in the PC direction. PCs are staying in the same spot.

PCs are still PCs but there are more options if you want console like experience. It's much easier to setup.

belmonkey

While getting older and not having quite as much time to play video games, it's nice not having a subscription ticking away while I'm not playing. Cheaper games help too though.

pixlexic

Banned
I think you mean "because consoles are basically PCs now."

Consoles are moving in the PC direction. PCs are staying in the same spot.

no I mean its basically a console. now. plug and play controllers, plug and play hdmi ... steam for nearly everything.

Its not complicated..there is no messing around with vga/dvi converters. no having to choose a controller/sound driver.

you pretty much plug it into a receptacle and then plug it into your tv.

Stimpack

no I mean its basically a console. now. plug and play controllers, plug and play hdmi ... steam for nearly everything.

Its not complicated..there is no messing around with vga/dvi converters. no having to choose a controller/sound driver.

For what it's worth, I knew what you meant and where you were coming from with your comment. I don't know why the others didn't. PCs have become easier to handle than they used to be.

Nokterian

Cheaper Games
Better IQ/Performance, top-end smokes the new consoles if you're willing to pay for it
Infinite Backlog
Mods
Better Communication Systems (How nice would chat be in Destiny?)
Free Online

What's not to like?

This..i have been playing on console's since Atari 2600 but when my dad introduced me to PC gaming back in the 90's it was a wonderful time. First 3d shooter Wolfenstein there where it all began. And i haven't stopped since then got soo many games even the boxes. I still own a 360 but also a PS3/4 and Vita to play with my console brothers and sisters. But i play more on PC.

I'll never switch to just PC. I find that having one in addition to the Sony console at the time is the best way to go to have a diverse selection of great games.

DocSeuss

Except I had plug n' play in a lot of devices back in the day as well. Go Go Gadget Sidewinder. :D

Heck, iirc, I could plug into a TV via S-Video, and Windows would recognize it as a second monitor. Never had to deal with sound driver issues.

Consoles, on the other hand, have been adding all the perks of PC gaming, even more modern ones, like streaming. Granted, they're still not as good as their PC counterparts, but they're getting there.

Foffy

Banned
I like the higher quality capabilities PCs have over other platforms. Second, I like how many PC titles are moddable, and as I play a lot of the ArmA franchise, I can't imagine that ever being on a console well.

I really only play console games if they're exclusive there anymore, and for a lot of franchises this is no longer the case.

BibiMaghoo

I find myself playing more PC games than console games simply by merit of already being on my computer. It's pretty easy to just switch between stuff be it work, a video, or a quick game of CSGO. I play on consoles, but my PC game usage has shot up because of this.

hawk2025

I wanted the best of the best.

Of course, this is the same logic that also has me keeping consoles: I want to play the best games. The two quotes in the OP make no sense to me.

I wouldn't say ive made the switch yet, but I can see that these consoles very may well be my last ones for a number of factors

1) Changing responsibiltes

I simply don't have the time to game any more

2) Games getting sold piece meal, with attacted subscriptions and becoming online only

Any game I buy, I own. Fuck you. I'm not paying for a license, I'm paying for a product. I don't like this increased emphasis on signing up to publishers websites to get the best features of my game or having to have random check in to play my game. I don't like the principle on PC either, but the kick back is the games are at least dirt cheap and therefore disposable.

3) Increased emphasis on online play and next to zero local multiplayer,

I don't like playing games online for the most part, I want to play them in the comfort of my home, without having to be logged in to a service. Thats why I own a console. Remove that and the platform loses its value.

4)The slow death of the gaming companies I care about.

The dev houses that I care about, that were at one time exclusively console are dying.

There are a bunch of other reasons, but those are by far the main ones.

R_Deckard

I think singling out one platform is mad.

I work hard, have a family and can afford to have all 3 main platforms.

For me consoles offer the best visual and groundbreaking (movie blockbuster) games, and Sony seem to spearhead the visually stunning ones.

Console exclusives and ease of play are 2 big factors along with cheaper immediate access where as I play off beat and quirky games that I can risk in sale.

So the best of both and I would never change.

My take is a lot of talk with people overstating the difference in a high end PC and consoles now with many still thinking they are the same as PC vs ps3/360. In a year or so it will die down and the circle of PC is dead will resume as we just went through with consoles.

Choice is the best plan imop.

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh yea, free online was also a big one for me. At first I was leaning towards a PS4, but upon hearing it would have fees for multiplayer, it made the choice to go PC easier.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Cheaper on PC, runs better, and i'll have my games for far longer. In 10 years my PS3 won't be hooked up, but in 10 years I'll have a PC. It's the ultimate backwards compatibility

This guy nailed it. My pc runs everything better and I have all my games from the launch of half life 2. Pc just is the best gaming platform.

DevilFox

In addition to what has already been said, all the talks through social media about the master race, STEAM sales and this increasing focus on performance have been particularly insistent in the last (2-3?) years. I'm sure this played a big role. It turned out, at the end, that console gamers were seen as inferior players, to be precise PS4 and One players only since Wii U gamers have always been safe from this accuse.

edit: I meant Sony/Microsoft and Nintendo of course. And the posts later prove I'm right, lol.

Maybe if a console was an open platform that is fully backwards compatible,enabled modding, had cheap games, didn't have a DD monopoly, supported every peripheral and control method there is and was free to play online with. Then a pc would be totally like a console

(lol)

PCs are still PCs,
Consoles have become more like pcs but in doing so have shed every advantage they had over the pc platform and have taken on every disadvantage inherent to a pc and magnified it by 10, all while not gaining most of the benifits of pc gaming and the few attempts at copying those benifits are half baked or just outright failures (browsers, multitasking, HTPC capabilities and DLNA , recording and streaming gameplay, online multiplayer etc etc are all third rate poor man's version of the functionality you find on pc)
I think this is the real reason why people who get a taste of pc gaming don't see a reason to go back; what is the appeal of just going to a closed pc that is shittier in every way.

If you like console gaming for console gaming then nintendo consoles are the only place to get it anymore.
Consoles should've stuck with what they were good at.

I've owned every console of the big 3 (and sega) since the genesis (except the saturn and the dreamcast, but I even had a game gear), they were all great, complemented my pc so well.
Now what is the point?

Just the wii u for me this gen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Honestly, there are things that push me in both directions.

For big AAA Multiplatform titles, they'll play better on a PC. But my PC is in the spare room on a small monitor. I'm looking to change the case to make it more living room friendly, or run a long HDMI cable.

Conversely, one of the reasons I started playing more on PC wasn't power, but the rise of indie games. And yet with xbox one and PS4, those are increasingly coming to console so I'm finding myself preferring to wait for them to come to console.

So both platforms are constantly evolving and have their benefits. I can definitely see the attraction in a simple box that plays games easily and can stream live to the Internet or record gameplay with the touch of a button. Something that can still be complex with a PC

Rezae

Worry free BC (and older titles will continue to look better through hardware/mods)

Cheap games.

Deep WRPGs, good revival happening, especially in the Indie scene.

Family reasons.. (I like my desk. I can get immersed with my headset in the corner and not have to worry about hogging the family TV and for the most part don't need to worry about what type of game I'm playing.)

The fact that a lot more AAA console titles are making their way over to PC has further put my likely PS4 purchase on the backburner longer.

Once I got a ps4 and was using remote play with my vita I was convinced it was going to be my go to gaming system despite always loving PC gaming.

However once I completed the last of us (amazing) and played a ton of diablo 3 on it certain things happened.

Gaming selection started to become really damn limited for games I was interested in. Basically nothing for a while.

After spending over £200 on games since getting it the only game that I genuinely loved on it so far was the last of us (love diablo 3 on it to but also have PC version).

Digital prices are ridiculous.

Remote playing was flairing up my wrist pain so needed to put a stop to it.

After that looked back to my gaming laptop (huge space saver and sits next to TV) and my PC gaming love has flooded back. Rejigged my gaming nights so needing to remote play isn't an issue any more and now all the great PC advantages are there.

No need for backwards compatibility because its just PC.

Amazing prices

Tweak any game to run to your liking , e.g. get the frame rate and visuals compromise that suits you.

Picked up the witcher 2 for £2.49 and DMC for £7.49. Had a blast with DMC and now starting the Witcher 2 which should last me a month easy. After that not only are there already games in my back log I can play but with so many sales something I want to play will go on sale before I'm finished.

I still totally understand the things that suck about PC gaming and I was almost ready to drop it but I'm realising the compromise for its pluses are still worth it to me.

Will still keep ps4 for exclusives coming next year though. That and Netflix and blurays.

desmax

I can get most games pretty cheap on PC's. Also, better IQ.

I use my consoles only for games I can't play on PC's

Actually, when it comes to a enthusiast forum like neogaf, I'm always surprised at the large number of people who are extremely passionate about the hobby but have no desire to play games on PC.

Top Bottom