• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People making the switch to PC, what's the common factor?

RP912

Banned
Cheaper games and mod support. Plus pc gaming is a haven for simulation/rts games which is truly a plus for me :)

Zaphod

I don't plan on buying the new systems any time soon.

The main reasons I swithched about 5 years ago:

Steam and GOG sales
Next to no need for maintenance or fighting installations anymore.
Free online play (My friends all have capable PCs)
The oldest game still regularly played is Master of Orion that I got in 1993
Tweakable settings (I prefer smooth frame rate over effects)
Games that look better when I upgrade as opposed to not working on the new machine
Computer is used for other things, including work
Larger variety of genres
Indie games
Mods
KOTOR

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It was always a plan of mine to build a media center with a dedicated computer always connected to an HDTV + a big monitor, so making it also gaming focused was a natural step considering I had two wireless 360 gamepads.

Also, money. I live in Brazil where console gaming prices are close to obscene. With Steam I absolutely can't bring myself to spend the same amount of money I used to have to spend on consoles anymore.

Another factor was that the PS4 isn't backwards compatible. I skipped the PS3 last gen and would have probably bought a PS4 already if I could play PS3 games on it.

Momentary

Banned
Not sure why you need to switch, just do both. Some games won't be on pc and vice versa.

I just don't want to deal with paid online, more expensive games, and a closed platform, and having to switch from machine to machine.

As for the gaming crowd. I get plenty of matches on USFIV and other competitive games. There's really not any reason for me to go back.

Even exclusives don't wow me that much, other than Bloodborne and Disgaea. That and certain fighting games that haven't come over yet are the only things that appeal to me. I don't care for Destiny anymore, or Driveclub, or whatever else is out there.

Cheaper games
Better performance (faster loading times, better graphics)
Digital platform is better

I spent about 80% of my gaming time on a console (eg: minimum time of 2 hours, usually 4-6 hours EVERY day for about 4 years between 06-10). I needed a new pc and prior to that I was picking up cheap games from Steam that my old pc would never be able to run.

Got my new pc in late 2010, wound up spending more time on that than a console from then on. PC gaming is just more convenient (the pc just stays there, whereas if I want to use the ps3 or 360, i've got to unpack it from the console box..... then pack it up again when i'm done), I stopped buying the 10-20 console games per month i would normally buy (went from that to one every couple of months). My last physical game purchase was Injustice last year, I have purchased many games digitally. I also connect both consoles every month that they have decent free games to download (but I rarely play them).

Despite not using the 360 so much in recent years i am still a long time GOLD subscription member. I am not wasting $79.95 (AUD) per year for little use. A few years ago one of our major retail stores was having a video game software clear out, i managed to get a fair few years worth of 12 month subscriptions for $10 each. If Xbox Live remains a thing for the next few decades i'll end up saving a truck load of money :-D.

There are so many console exclusives,I don't know how anyone could be satisfied exclusivity with pc.

The only console exclusives I care about are Nintendo games and some japanese games, of which more are getting released on PC nowadays. Don't care about everything else.

Cannot be stressed enough what a godsend the PC's eternal backwards compatiblity is. The backlog you get is just massive.

Durante

I haven't "made the switch", as I've always played PC games and bought multiplatform titles on PC, but compared to the first few years of the previous console generation (when I was playing on 360 and PS3 for about half my gaming time) I'm far more focused on PC these days.

The reason is mostly that my favourite genre (party-based RPGs) has made a massive comeback on PC. So I'm obviously playing all of them, and these are not short games. As such, I simply don't have time to play more than one or two console games a year any more.

Generally I think it will be hard to find a single common factor, since the PC platform can be so many different things to different people.

Qblivion

i'm actually considering selling my pc. I have 321 games in my steam library and I have probably finished 15 of them. Most exclusives are indie games that will run on a halfway decent laptop anyways.

The game I bought in 2007 will work on the new hardware I buy in 2015 and as such I won't have to shell out another $60 to play the "remaster".

inky

Price for games and lack of obligatory sub service to be online, convenience, better performance (usually), and easier to multitask with it.

nkarafo

The last few days i'm trying to setup all my games, that are game pad friendly, to run through Steam Big Picture mode. Not only games but emulators and programs as well. RetroArch, for instance, begs for big picture mode and it even has a media player. I also like how easy is to find Banner Icons for almost everything in google image, in order to make the interface look good.

Basically, once i open the PC, i don't have to touch the keyboard-mouse.

Unlimited power.

That and mods, I played a bunch of Morrowind and Oblivion back in the day. So being able to get or make potentially limitless additional (free) user content was a big draw.

price and, to a large degree, i get to decide what i value on individual games. there are some games that have animations tied to 30 fps so i dont get a choice there, but, for the most part, i can prioritize framerate if i want.

Nabs

A few things for me:

The community. There is something about Steam/L4DGAF that just feels good. Great people, fun multiplayer matches, and good overall recommendations.

I built a dedicated gaming PC back in 09 to play L4D2 with GAF at a framerate higher than 18. I'm so happy I did. Now I get AAA games, crazy indie games, and early access/kickstarter games that wouldn't be possible otherwise. I love PC gaming because there's never a dull moment, and there's always something amazing right around the corner. I love that everything can be customized to my tastes, and I don't want to give up that freedom.

I don't see myself going back to console gaming unless it involves a years worth of chocolate.

LeleSocho

Banned
The prices man... it's all about the prices.
Also the ability to optimize the game how i want, if i want the game to be 60fps even if textures sucks so be it, if i want the game to have 8xSSAA and it's ok for me to run it at 15fps so be it.

Aretak

• Extremely underwhelmed by the new consoles hardware-wise
• Don't find 30fps acceptable any more
• Lack of compelling exclusives on consoles
• No longer wish to pay to play online
• Mods, which can turn even an empty, boring game like Skyrim into something fun
• Games are so much cheaper
• Not tied into one retailer for digital products
• Huge back catalogue stretching back to the beginning of time (ish)
• Compelling genres that just don't work on consoles (especially the WRPG revival)
• Emulation of older systems

All those reasons and more are why I decided to ditch my plan of getting a PS4 and build myself a new PC for the first time since 2009 instead.

WillyFive

I disagree, older PC games can become a bitch to run. Hell, I can't even get BioShock to run properly.

But it can be fixed, usually with something very simple. No amount of tinkering will make your copy of Bioshock run on PS4.

It is true that there is a threshold to games working on newer hardware, such as DOS games or games designed for Windows 95; but there are workarounds for most things and stuff doesn't start happening until a decade-or-more's worth of hardware and software advancement, instead of simply one generation of hardware.

4k. I think it was a huge mistake for current gen consoles not to support 4k gaming, since the TVs will be mainstream in a couple of years.

It's for many reasons.

The free online is probably a big plus for many.

Then there is mods.

The best backwards compatibility

Along with Consoles becoming more like PCs in terms of architecture.

PCs are also able to be used for many non game related tasks.

And last but not least, unified and free services like steam and origin.

Nzyme32

Retained value - backwards compatibility, steamplay allows for use of many games across multiple OSs, upgrades enhance all games old and new

Cheaper - I upgraded every 2 to 3 years while selling the components that were replaced, the cost never exceeded that of 2 years Live/PS+ membership. Initial price of a build is certainly more expensive, but time and again this has proven a sound investment. Games are very well priced both new and on sale. Lots of stores doing different things, a preference towards Steam, GoG & Green Man Gaming. Regular sales and competing offers have altered my playing and purchase habits while still saving compared to my console usage.

Games - Massive variety of games, lots of indies and genres I can't find anywhere else along with game types I can't find anywhere else. Lots of experimentation and ideas surfacing on PC. Almost all the games I want are on PC or increasingly coming soon to PC.

The community - Far and away a better experience and a more controllable experience. It is a joy to find mini communities within certain servers and games, while also playing all manner of different game types and variants with freedom.

Customisability & flexibility - Set the game to perform how I want with the features I prefer. Choose the compromises to make on low end systems. Get experimental with down-sampling or testing 21:9 / multimonitor / Oculus. Mod games, play games made by others (currently highly recommend OFF - created in RPG maker)

SugarDave

It's something I've always thought about doing in the past but assumed it would be too hard. About two weeks before the PS4 was released, a mix of uncertainty and my friend talking about the benefits convinced me to cancel my pre-order and make the transition. A year later, I still haven't actually built the thing yet but I will very soon. The positives are almost too many to list, that's why I'm switching.

1) Performance. I want to play my games at the highest quality my hardware will enable and to have a choice in what aspects of the performance will be prioritised. Coming from an Xbox 360, playing at a minimum of 1080p 60fps on all games will be a substantial leap.

2) Cost. Sure, I'm going to be spending about £1500 up front, but when you factor in that this includes peripherals like headphones, M+KB (a plus of it's own that I'm excited to get to grips with) and even the desk and chair I'll be using, then the cost of the PC hardware itself isn't half as much as people like to claim. Plus, the games are cheaper right off the bat and the sales are great, this is enough to justify the purchase on its own.

3) Mods. Improving the quality and longevity of a game through free downloads. I don't know what else I need to mention there, that's awesome!

4) Games. One of the things I'm most excited about is expanding my horizons with new games I wouldn't even have the chance to try on consoles. I'm not knocking the selection on consoles or anything like that, but strategy games, space sims and cRPGs are something I've always wanted to try. All this plus most of the console games I'm interested in are coming to PC also anyway (MGSV! Fuck yeah!).

5) Backwards compatibility. All my games in one place, no matter how old they are. Being able to revisit all the classics I've missed plus emulation is a huge bonus to being able to play modern stuff.

6) It's not just for gaming. It's easy to forget a gaming PC isn't just a gaming PC... it's a PC! With all the bonuses that brings.

I'm blanking on other things that I'm sure exist but the biggest and most surprising positive for me is...

7) Gaining a new hobby. Researching this PC has been a great experience, the options, the helpful commnunity, the Christmas like excitement of putting together your list of parts. Sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming, particularly when your a complete newbie, but learning about it all has been rewarding and I'm looking forward to completing this little project when I actually get building. And it doesn't stop there, knowing that the machine will be mine to tinker and play with as I see fit, it's like the ultimate expression of my love for videogames. I would encourage anyone who is the slightest bit intrigued to just jump in and get started, even if it is all gibberish at first. You may discover an entirely new passion.

The main reason I can think of to buy a PS4 right now would be so that I could play with my brother and a few mates. At this point though, I'm actually tempted to just put together a budget build for my brother and surprise him with it one day. Not saying I've completely turned my back on consoles, I may still buy one or more of them when the prices are lower and the libraries are bigger, but for now, I'm going all in on PC!

Actually, when it comes to a enthusiast forum like neogaf, I'm always surprised at the large number of people who are extremely passionate about the hobby but have no desire to play games on PC.

It's especially weird that it isn't apathy or lack of awareness, it's active hostility to the concept right down to disinformation campaigns and propaganda.

Hell, I can't even get BioShock to run properly.

What's the problem? It's a UE game, and UE games usually don't have many problems scaling themselves to different rigs or OS incompatibilities.

For me it primarily comes down to the library, so many great games released on PC these days. Secondly, it's pretty damn cheap. My rig is 5 years old now and the only upgrade I've done was a new graphics card 3 years ago, I can still play the games I'm interested in without any trouble. Thirdly, it's so convenient to just launch a game without having to move to another room and turn on TV, stereo and console, then putting in a disc and having to endure ridiculous load times.

syko de4d

Freedom to do what you want with the multitasking abbilities, mods, graphics, controls, the big amount of different games and genres etc.

And 90% of the online games i play are PC only titles.

MRORANGE

All these reasons are great and all but having to wait over 4 years for FFXIII doesn't really justify PC gaming. There is only so much power and cheap games that PC gamers can offer until you realize the cold sad truth that you will never be able to play games such as FFXV, Bloodborne and GTAV.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Pc gaming hardware has evolved so much. I have a small form factor case, about the size of an audio receiver, it has i7 4770, 16gb ram, and a 770 inside of it, with even a cpu cooler and case fans. All of it runs and works with just two cords. HDMI and power cord. Usb dongles for all the wireless stuff. Its amazing.

zinder

Simplicity. Such as listening to music, multitasking, watching something on the other screen, easier and faster to start games (no need to swap discs) and of course modding. But I love playing exclusives on consoles just as much.

All these reasons are great and all but having to wait over 4 years for FFXIII doesn't really justify PC gaming. There is only so much power and cheap games that PC gamers can offer until you realize the cold sad truth that you will never be able to play games such as FFXV, Bloodborne and GTAV.

You almost got me.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I wasn't happy with what the XB1 or PS4 offered so I ended up building a PC instead back in February.

Managed to order a LoU PS4 bundle for $340 due to a price error on amazon.ca but outside of Bloodborne and FFXV it has nothing that interests me.

I disagree, older PC games can become a bitch to run. Hell, I can't even get BioShock to run properly.

They can be a bitch to run, but it's not guaranteed. I'll take some messing with config files and running in compatibility modes versus literally never being able to play a PS3 game on PS4, for example.

If running an old game doesn't work right away, there's always a way to make it work

me0wish

Was always a Nintendo+PC gamer, RTS is one of my favorite genres that made me stick to pc. With Steam, I didn't have to pay 100$ for each game, so I was blown away by the prices back then.

Backwards compatibility is also pretty ridiculous on consoles, transferring wii VC games to Wii U mode costing money is like punishing us for buying them on Wii, sorry Nintendo, I'm sticking to emulation.

As much as I love Nintendo consoles, I wish that all consoles would just die one day and each company will have its own OS/store.

For me, the desire to switch platforms comes from the combination of backwards compatibility and a much more diverse library of games on PC.

We are a year into the new systems and I still have not played a truly great game on either new gen console.

Aretak

trickqsj32.png

There are quite a few factors to me being a PC gamer

• Backwards compatibility with my vast library of games.
  • Cheap day 1 game prices
  • Better graphics, image quality, and performance (most of the time, lol ubisoft)
  • Mouse and Keyboard
  • Genres exist on PC that simply do not on console, or are much worse on consoles
  • Mods, indies and kickstarter games

But I've still got the consoles too. The exclusives are forcing me to buy every platform since I have the luxury of affording it. If I couldn't, I'd probably be PC-only for the next few years until several console price drops happened, which is where I was at last gen.

For me, the desire to switch platforms comes from the combination of backwards compatibility and a much more diverse library of games on PC.

We are a year into the new systems and I still have not played a truly great game on either new gen console.

Pikmin 3, SM3DW and Mario Kart 8 are all pretty great.

1) Prices of games. I find gaming on consoles to be way more restrictive as far as pricing goes. Now console gamers have been coerced into thinking paying a subscription fee to gain better sales is acceptable even though services like Steam just do it for its customers with no monthly or annual fees which also brings us to..

2) Free online multi-player. Odd isn't it as games become more and more dependant on online play (Destiny, The Crew) they those game modes behind a paywall.

3) Backwards compatibility. If I rebuild a computer or buy a new one I know those games will carry over. What is the answer on game consoles? Keep them and pray they don't break while cluttering up your entertainment cabinet. Or what they want us to resell you those games via remastered or on sevices like PSNow.

4) Flexibility. Games struggling to hit good frame rates? Want better resolutions? You have that option to invest in better performance. On game consoles you get what they give you.

5) Mod support. Aside from being able to access and create dedicated servers you also have the Mod community who have done wonders. It's amazing how you can even play Nintendo games in high rez which of course is not entirely legal and takes a fair amount of research but it's possible. More possible than what even Nintendo has done.

6) A never ending library. Since your games keep working and the PC being an open platform the library grows.

7) The best platform for innovation and indie support. An open platform allows anyone to support it without all the restrictions and licensing loopholes.

8) The best all-in-one system. Browse the net, play music, games, movies, check email. Why be on anything else aside from maybe the Xbox One and the HDMI input for cable.

If it weren't for console exclusives I'd see no real reason anymore to support them. This new generation has really let me down so far with constant delays and no real ingenuity aside from Morpheus which looks to be outclassed by Oculus.

MogCakes

Speaking strictly without bias of gaming genre preference, PC represents the best value.

I follow games, if a game is only available on one platform and I want it badly enough I will buy that platform to play that game. That's what I'm willing to do to play the games I want. Others may not have the luxury of being able to afford or haggle with their spouse to buy more than one gaming platform, or don't have an interest in the types of games offered or the titles offered, may have preferences in one platform holder over another for various reasons, etc. Why does PC commonly come out as the top? Because it isn't ruled by one corporation and the competition and openness of the platform guarantees backwards compatibility, mods, access, and fair pricing via open market, along with free online (as the original household vehicle for internet).

So in short: time, money, preference, convenience (easier sell to the spouse).

I have not made the switch yet, but I am tempted to get a gaming pc over either the ps4 or xbone because all the first-party exclusives I can't live without are nintendo games, and I've already got both the 3ds and wiiu. Bloodborne is the only thing it would hurt to miss out of what's been shown so far.

paskowitz

1. Games. There are so many. Last time I checked, that is important.
2. They often look better and cost less (Steam sales vs GameStop bargain bin)
3. PS4/XB1 offerings are too thin to make a console investment worth while.
4. I spent >$1000 on my racing wheel and for the near future it will only work on pc
5. I needed a better PC as my laptop was 4 years old
6. I read the PC gaming OT and realized, building a PC is not difficult
7. Technically a business expenses
8. I have a nice big plasma and comfy couch pc use was appealing
9. Plex/media servers are awesome
10. I had the money

TJP

The luckiest gamers have both a PC and console(s). I changed back to being a PC-centric gamer in 2011 (just one GPU upgrade since) for a variety of reasons:

Powerful & upgradeable hardware: PC gaming can be expensive, more so at the bleeding edge of the very latest tech, however the cost can be often negated by selling old hardware or chosing hardware that isn't the top of the line (e.g. selecting a GTX 970 over a GTX 980).

Cheaper games: multiplats are always cheaper on PC. Plenty of legitimate cd key sellers to keep competition high and prices at a sane level. Then there are the Steam sales...

PC has offers me wider variety of choice in the genres I'm interested in: I played the usual bunch of racing games on console (PGR, Forza, various CM, EA's NFS etc) then Race Pro on Xbox 360 arrived..my first taste of PC level sim racing for a very long time. I discovered the SimBin back catalogue, started buying their & other games at cheap prices and now I own nearly every PC racing sim released in the last 10 years which covers a huge variety of disciplines - all for the cost of FM4 LE plus it's DLC.

Mods: high quality mods are easy to find for racing sims (and plenty of other genres) and add so much free content. There are enough quality mods just for rFactor and the SimBin games (GTR 2 and Race '07 being the standouts) to keep me occupied for YEARS.

That said, there are console exclusives that I'll always want to play hence I buy a console once a game or three that interests me arrives. The PS4 and DriveClub will be mine soon ;) Plus Nintendo always make interesting games so a WiiU will also be mine soon.

The Llama

I've been mostly PC gaming for my entire life, and I really think now is the best time to get into it. I think there's a lot of reasons. Steam (digital distribution in general), better OS's (its less annoying to use a computer, basically), the ease of using controllers (not having to individually assign buttons...), flexibility, etc. It's all just so much easier and nicer than it used to be.

Sentenza

I don't even know what you are talking about.
I crossed maybe two games since the Win95 age that gave me problems on a modern OS and both of them had a fanmade patch to solve the issue.
Even DOS stuff runs without much problems thanks to DOSBox.
I also think it's a pretty weird angle trying to point it how few sparse old games can be "a bitch to run" as a "downside" of PC gaming, considering the alternate option that consoles offer in the same area:

"It just doesn't work on this one, deal with it"

Top Bottom