• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People making the switch to PC, what's the common factor?

I've been mostly PC only for my entire life, but I did have a short portion of it on console only because the PS2 had such a good backlog and the PC had a real WRPG drought. I went back because I had $600 in 2007, the price of a good prebuilt I could add on to from Circuit City or a PS3. Well... I couldn't justify $600 for Heavenly Sword and Folklore, so I just bought myself a new PC and the Orange Box.

Rambotito

The games :

Wasteland 2
Pillars of Eternity
Divinity Original Sin
Star Citizen
Elite : Dangerous
Mechwarrior Online
MMOs
Console ports (if you like those)

It just does everything. Also, I can at anytime open up Word or Excel and do my work. Or play Youtube stuff while browsing 10 different open web sites.

Oh yeah, then there's the price difference. You can get all new games for much cheaper than in the stores or just wait a little bit and get them for half price during a sale.

Also, do you like a particular console controller more than the other? Buy it and plug it in.

Momentary

Banned
Bloodborne is the only reason I will end up getting any console this go around. I haven't touched a console in years.

Same here, but seeing as how Demon Souls spawned Dark Soul, I expect the success of this one to do the same. I'm pretty sure From Software loves the money that Dark Souls has brought in from Steam.

I had always wanted to try PC gaming because I always liked using the PC. I remember being really excited about Bleem! because I thought it would be neat to play PlayStation games on my PC.

I guess I've always kind of been a PC gamer since I played some games on DOS a long time ago. And I always liked the PC because having options was nice. But there weren't many games on the PC I liked since most of my favourite games are Japanese games. And I couldn't afford a gaming PC. So when I had money I bought console games.

One of the games that first got me into PC gaming and building my own computer was Final Fantasy XI. I didn't have a computer that could play it, so I bought a graphics card. I was scared of learning how to build computers, but I really wanted to play Final Fantasy XI, so I tried.

And I tried building another gaming PC when Final Fantasy XIV came out. Because I had more money now. And I already had the other consoles and I always wanted to try PC gaming. I had kind of done it with Final Fantasy XI but I mostly just upgraded my desktop. And since I loved Final Fantasy XI, I really wanted to play Final Fantasy XIV. So I built another gaming PC.

It was neat, because I didn't just get to play Final Fantasy XIV. But I got to play PlayStation 2 games on PCSX2 and Gamecube games on Dolphin. And because I spent all that money on trying to build a computer to play Final Fantasy XIV, I wanted to find other Japanese games for the PC I like. I already played a lot of doujin games like Touhou on my laptop, so I wanted to find more games like that.

It was really hard because there weren't enough Japanese games on the PC. Which is kind of why I never got into PC gaming. But I kept trying because I wanted to use the computer I spent so much on to play games I like. And I started using Steam a lot because I love doujin games and bought Recettear on Steam. There weren't many games, but I bought a couple like The Last Remnant.

And then I got really into PC gaming by spending more and more time and money on stuff. I bought more computer parts all the time and discovered new MMORPGs and more games started coming to Steam.
And in the end I found all sorts of things I liked about PC gaming better. It's just become much more fun and I have a hard time going back to consoles.

Burt

Funny, I just had this conversation with a friend last week.

I was a lifelong console gamer, but got my first gaming PC about three years ago. I think the impetus might've been that my 360 broke and maybe I was jealous of the PC screenshot thread, but i can't say for sure at this point. Anyway, he just picked up his PS4 and asked me when I was going to get mine and I just blurted out "Screw that, never" without even thinking about it. The thing is, I might be interested in a new console eventually, but my gut response was vehement denial.

I really don't have a reason or desire to go back, though. It'd be a luxury on top of a luxury, and my backlog is big enough as is. When I upgraded earlier this year, I recycled a bunch of old parts into a computer for my brother, and he's gone from a console-owner to pretty much the same stance as me.

jholmes

I've got a PC basically as a second console (alongside the Wii U) whereas I normally would've bought the Sony hardware. The fact is just about everything coming to PS4 or Xbone also comes to PC, and I'd rather have PC exclusives than anything exclusive to those two. The fact that the software is much cheaper and I don't have to pay for online access sure doesn't hurt.

Mentok

Banned
I was a PC gamer who went strictly console last gen (I always had 1 console with my PC). This gen I have a PS4, but I'm heavily considering going back to PC after this gen is up (possibly even before).

There's just too many positives to PC gaming.

EDIT: to answer the OP, the biggest factor for me is the cost to features ratio. I can easily transition from one task to another. Hell, I'd use my laptop if I thought it could handle current blockbuster games (not too sure it can).

RedSwirl

The big gateway has been Steam. Not only has it made PC gaming feel a lot less complex, in my opinion it has become a better service than Xbox Live and PSN. Outside of sales, Steam has managed to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to community and shopping features.

The second thing for me has been a general sense of freedom with the games I buy on PC. It's made me realize that when I buy a game on a console, for the most part it's locked to that one platform for all time. When I buy a PC game I know I'll be able to install it on any Windows PC I want, and there's a very good chance it will still run on the next version of Windows. It's basically near-perfect backwards compatibility, or at least a lot closer to perfect than almost any console. I think to overcome this problem, consoles need to start adopting a software mentality more like iOS or Android where each platform holder maintains a consistent ecosystem across all their hardware. Essentially an environment where almost every game is cross-buy.

Finally, after a while I realized I'd been spending A LOT of time playing PC-exclusive games that have proven to be huge time sinks. Games like Civilization, ArmA, FTL, and others have gotten more replay value out of me than almost any console game. I imagine other games I haven't played like Crusader Kings, Total War, and Minecraft are the same way. I attribute it to the way certain styles of PC games are made. Strategy games and procedurally-generated games in particular are often made as essentially programs for the player to perpetually use, like Microsoft Office or Photoshop, just for the purpose of entertainment. Games like this aren't quite as common on consoles I feel.

At the end of the generation, there will be maybe 5-7 truly exclusive games per platform that will never come to PC, not counting handhelds which usually keep most of their exclusives. I'll buy a console to play those.

But this generation especially, most games are coming to PC. Sony-published games won't, but a lot of Microsoft-published games will, 99.9% of indies will, and even Japan is jumping on board.

And since PC is the best platform to buy all your games no matter what they are, the reasons for owning a console are dwindling.

I guess you could say the reason I'm a PC gamer now is because of Square Enix. I was really excited about Final Fantasy XIV. And I couldn't play it on a console since it wasn't on a console yet.

It was one of the games I was most excited for in 2010. I was so excited to read about the lore and what the game would be like.

And then I discovered Steam and that was really nice. So it's really good that lots of Japanese games are coming to Steam now. Because I got into PC gaming to play Japanese games.
And I think I'm probably not the not the only person who got into PC gaming to play Final Fantasy XIV.

At the end of the generation, there will be maybe 5-7 truly exclusive games per platform that will never come to PC, not counting handhelds which usually keep most of their exclusives. I'll buy a console to play those.
Eh, I'd put it closer to 20 or so but I know what you mean.

I don't go so far as to purchase consoles though, there's plenty others to play.

jblank83

Cheaper on PC, runs better, and i'll have my games for far longer. In 10 years my PS3 won't be hooked up, but in 10 years I'll have a PC. It's the ultimate backwards compatibility

It's so backwards compatible it can play games from old consoles. That's BC.

Usobuko

Banned
Next gen if you ever see the xbox brand pulling a new 360 and PS self-destructing with a new PS3 akin saga alike, even more people will switch. Fanboys cannot stand their console not in the lead which is why last gen indies were made fun or deliberately not taken seriously by PS3 owners but this gen, it's the exact reverse.

Of course, I'm speaking about the extremists but I tend to feel that there's a noticeable numbers of them out there.

Bydobob

3 reasons.

I didn't like how long previous gen lasted and wasn't blown away by the specs of the new consoles. I figured they would be outclassed even quicker by PC this time around.

I was also loving the pants off my Wii U and didn't honestly feel the need for another console - especially as most games on the main consoles are multiplats anyway.

Deciding factor was pulling out of buying a custom built arcade machine and my wife allowing me to spend the money on a PC instead. And an area of the house to put it!

khaaan

I like PC's and I also like consoles, the platform is not a make or break thing for me. Some days my PC will get a tonne of love and other days it'll be a console, or a handheld or even my phone.

1. I prefer going all digital and trust PC more for than than any Console Content Store.
2. Cheap.
3. I don't have to have a particular platform to play my content, just upgrade and it will be playable.
4. Past Games are "renewed" through mods or just better performance upon upgrading.
5. Multiplayer games usually have longer legs on PC, whereas on console they usually "die" due to player migration to the hottest new games.
6. Better graphics
7. More exclusive games than any console

Aeqvitas

Are most people really on Either/OR when it comes to PC and console?

I have been doing both for such a long time. I play games that are best suited to PC IMO on my 27" iMac (windows is on a partition for the few games that still need it), and everything else on console. Both have a place. I feel like pretty much everyone has a computer in some form, and therefore should at least be able to play Civ and Indies on PC.

I like the console for plug and play and ease of use on the TV. I have been extremely unimpressed with trying to shoehorn PC onto the TV via big picture mode, so I don't see that as a replacement for people who want a solid multi-media and gaming experience in the living room.

I just see a place for both for the foreseeable future, but it always surprises me that so many people apparently only ever play games on console when they own a computer that can at least play some basic, but amazing games! Integrated graphics are good enough now to experience basic titles, which wasn't true 8 years ago, so maybe that is part of the uptick in PC gaming and steam sales.

Speaking for myself:

1. There are very few (if any) PS4/XBO exclusives I'm interested in.
2. Multiplatform games generally play best on a [suitably high-end] PC.
3. I have access to a WiiU.

Games are cheaper
Endless library of compatible games to play
Games I buy will continue to be compatible even if I upgrade my PC
Games generally look and perform better on PC
I can access my steam library from any PC
My SO and I don't need to fight over the TV
There are a lot of genres on PC that just don't exist on consoles

Cheaper Games
Better IQ/Performance, top-end smokes the new consoles if you're willing to pay for it
Infinite Backlog
Mods
Better Communication Systems (How nice would chat be in Destiny?)
Free Online

What's not to like?

These three quotes sum up my feelings as well.

1. Due to cheap STEAM sales I can scoop up a bunch of quality games that run better than their console counterparts
2. There are a ton of fantastic games in genres not available on consoles, especially if you are a fan of RPGs or strategy games
3. For me personally there are zero exclusives on the PS4 / Xbone out right now

I jumped on PC before XCOM: Enemy Unknown released because of modding and pretty much stayed there permanently once my Xbox 360 RROD'd in 2013. At this point, I don't see any reason to get a console because there's nothing really interesting in any of their lineups aside from a few Japanese games on PS4 and maybe Sunset Overdrive and that crazy amusement park killing people game on XBone... and given the trend of XBone "exclusives" suddenly jumping to PC, I see less reason to pick up that console.

Handhelds this generation are also not too compelling in terns of game lineups, while PC has a few indie gems that fit my interests and tastes. The only problem is that I can't get consistent controller support through Pinnacle Profiler via Xbox 360 controller emulation, which makes playing PC games via a controller a hassle.

HariKari

Are most people really on Either/OR when it comes to PC and console?

I do both.

I bought a PS4 for the Phantom Pain, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy etc... Basically the Sony exclusives + Japanese developers that were late to the PC party. Now there isn't much reason to have one, as all of those games will likely be bought for the two gaming PCs in the house. So it becomes a Sony exclusives machine... and I am not even slightly interested in Bloodborne.

After playing around with modded Skyrim, Mass Effect and whatnot on my PC, I got the gf to switch and she built her own nice SLI machine. "After getting used to the mouse and keyboard, I don't really like the controller anymore" plus the graphics was her reasoning. Hard to disagree. She had double dipped and bought the Mass Effect trilogy for her PS3 but didn't play much of it after realizing the novelty of the console had worn off (played it on PC first). Being able to build a petty substantial backlog in one Steam sale with a few clicks didn't hurt either.

Wesker28

Great graphics and high performance
No need to worry about backward compatibility
Free online
Sales
Great community. (item/game trades, mods, guides, fixes, gifts... etc)
Steam-UI is easy to navigate

Skyzard

Banned
With consoles it's always like, damn I need to get something new for this thing :/

With PC it's like:

EuJywdM.jpg

Also, your library re-masters itself with each upgrade.

Kevyt

I'm in the process of selling all of my consoles and games to just with PC entirely. One of the reasons for this was because of steam sales. The steam sales just make PC gaming cheap, and I am a cheap person lol. In addition I love running benchmarks and upgrading my PC so I don't mind dealing with drivers or mods that crash my game. I want to mess with the settings and the game's engine by running mods and doing things you can't do on a game console.

Dragon

Banned
Quoting Thrakier as evidence of people switching from console gaming to PC is like eating Taco Bell and being surprised when two hours later you're on the toilet.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The ability to upgrade HW

The cost of games

The community fixes by folk like Durante and many other's who've done far more

The social aspect, for good or bad

PC games just have this distinct feel to me. Gives me nostalgia. I keep thinking back to on line mp with Delta Force and how awesome the online is on PC. Taking about stuff Luke Gary's Mod to MMO's like Archeage.

Customized experience. Stuff like mods and graphical settings separate PC from the pack.

Also, I'm not leaving console. I love my Vita, PS3, and PS4.

RedSwirl

Another factor for a lot of people was probably the increasing prevalence of developers designing game graphics for console first, then PC from 2007 to around 2011. This kept system requirements really low for PC versions of games compared to previous eras, meaning it didn't cost quite as much money to run PC games with better performance than the console versions. This was especially true after the Q6600 and 8800GT came out. Shit, Titanfall will still run on an 8800GT. That processor alone was probably responsible for a lot of switches to PC.

Josman

I'm surprised VR hasn't been mentioned as much as I'd expect, I built my PC for work -> 60 fps gaming & VR -> everything else

I pair PC gaming with PS4 in order to cover the most bases with the least amount of equipment and money.

Having a PS4 entitles me to Sony exclusives, while the PC allows me to play most "XBox Exclusives" since they get released on PC anyways - then multiplats I just get whatever's cheap or on sale.

KJRS_1993

I don't really get why it's such an "if or" question.

If it's a game I'm going to want to play with other people / alongside other people, I'll definitely buy it on console. It's my favourite place to play multiplayer and chat on.

If it's a game I'm not quite so interested in, I'll pick it up a little bit later when it goes cheap on PC.

I've gone with Nintendo+PC for several generations now and the case for the PC as a game platform is stronger than ever. Beyond the PC's traditional strengths (better support for genres like RTS and grand strategy designed around a keyboard and mouse, free online connectivity, modding, no dependence on shared home television sets, existing ownership of a computer for other purposes—and note how the last point is the biggest attraction of mobile these days) the biggest factor, bar none, is price, price, price. All you need is the patience to wait a year or two for the major multiplats to drop to a fraction of their release-date MSRP, freeing up the budget for games that retain their value like those from Nintendo and Blizzard, which have traditionally overlapped with my day-one priorities anyway. Staying behind the curve also makes it unnecessary to invest in building the most powerful rig available, and if you do choose to build one, you can safely do it with years of forward compatibility in mind. I caught up on nearly everything that interested me about the PS3/360 libraries on my day-to-day notebook (and in higher quality, too), which was already a sunk cost regardless of what I could or couldn't play on it. And since a lot of those titles were never first-rank priorities for me anyway, the difference was between playing them cheaply on a PC or not playing them at all.

Essentially, software has become so radically more accessible on the PC compared to what the platform used to boast, both in price and library diversity, that a PC-based player can exercise the same habits as he or she would have done a decade ago but now with access to a considerably larger selection of games, and on the same budget as before. I can see the attraction of a PS4 for someone who primarily plays on a home theatre setup and wants guaranteed compatibility out of the box for the next five to seven years without fiddling with settings, but for my use cases those advantages are not by themselves persuasive. Unless console exclusives are your top priority for software (which is the case for me with Nintendo), or you cover all your home computing needs with a cheap netbook or tablet, there is little reason not to use a PC as a total console replacement. It's not as prohibitive as people think, and there isn't even a need for a custom rig if one is intimidated by the process of ordering parts and assembling a computer (not as hard as it seems once you make the jump and do it, but an understandable obstacle for many), especially if you don't care to acquire every big title on day one and run it at the maximum settings.

KyleCross

I just installed it and it runs fine here. Maybe verify game cache?
What's the problem? It's a UE game, and UE games usually don't have many problems scaling themselves to different rigs or OS incompatibilities.
It actually runs fine on my laptop (which is very weak, but still strong enough to run this game on max) but on my new desktop I can't get it to run to save my life. As soon as the opening cutscene ends and the BioShock logo fades out the game loses sound, then when I arrive in Rapture I am locked in the elevator as the splicer and man are outside frozen and I cannot do anything.

I've read changing the compability mode or messing around with audio properties fixes it, but upon doing so the game now doesn't even load. When I start the game and the loading screen comes up it just freezes.
I don't even know what you are talking about.
I crossed maybe two games since the Win95 age that gave me problems on a modern OS and both of them had a fanmade patch to solve the issue.
Even DOS stuff runs without much problems thanks to DOSBox.
I also think it's a pretty weird angle trying to point it how few sparse old games can be "a bitch to run" as a "downside" of PC gaming, considering the alternate option that consoles offer in the same area:

"It just doesn't work on this one, deal with it"
I personally have had some pretty big issues with older games, thus my comment. You're right, most can be fixed but often required me to spend hours of Googling and tweaking to get to happen. I was addressing the fact of this so called "ultimate backwards compatibility." You can almost always get things to work, but not always idealy.

Better graphics, resolution and framerate would be my top reasons. Plus you can use it for work and browsing the internet which is roughly 95% of my time (I don't play that much anymore).

Rnr1224

This gen I have a PC and Wii U and I am loving it. I made the switch to PC about a year ago when I discovered I could get games cheaper and be able to play a ton of them on just one machine. Wii U is for my first-party nintendo fix and I'll most likely get a PS4 when a few more exclusives release for that.

PC gaming is definitely awesome but it just isn't for me. I can see how so many prefer it. I would love to mod games and play some of my favorite multiplayer games that are old. Some multiplayer games are just dead on consoles after 4+ years. Other than that, I can't see myself playing on the PC.

Bizzquik

Last-gen went on way, way too long. So I got into PC gaming in early 2012 when I realized new-gen was still a ways off. Then, when I realized many newer games had 360-controller support, were easy to install & configure, and cost less on Steam anyway....I wondered why I didn't go PC-first years before.

For me personally, playing Bioshock - one of my favorite last-gen titles - in full 1080p with all settings on Ultra/High was everything I could ever have hoped it would be. I don't need a new-gen console remaster; I have a PC.

MrBali

Neo Member
First of all cheaper games that's the obvious one.

More importantly, consoles today are still struggling to get to 1080p while it has been the norm since 2009 (atleast for me). Even if I can't run a certain game at max settings, I know my next PC will have the same game in better graphics and resolution while my next console would not be able to play the previous console's game at all.

The idea of console exclusives is laughable to me. Every single day I come across several interesting games that will never come to console. Rock paper shotgun is a constant reminder that pc is where all the creativity is.

Top Bottom