• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People that ask to use your wifi

JettDash

No such thing as bulletproof, especially for any consumer product. Most hardened corporations could be penetrated in a matter of minutes. Networks, accounts.. everything. You're still doing what you should so good job, but you're not bulletproof. I could discover your SSID and get on your network with free tools widely available to the average 14 year old if they knew where to look. Cheers!

No you couldn't.

Izayoi

Banned
No such thing as bulletproof, especially for any consumer product. Most hardened corporations could be penetrated in a matter of minutes. Networks, accounts.. everything. You're still doing what you should so good job, but you're not bulletproof. I could discover your SSID and get on your network with free tools widely available to the average 14 year old if they knew where to look. Cheers!
Like others here, I'm a little confused. You could brute force a randomly generated 30 character password? Or does WPA2 have a vulnerability that I'm not aware of? My router password is different from my Wi-Fi password and is also a randomly generated character string. If there is an easy way to crack that I would be very interested in knowing how so that I can adequately protect myself going forward.

Calion

"Give them a fake password"
"Give them a guest password but block all ports"
"Give them a guest password but throttle them to 64k"

Great ways to make enemies of your neighbors just because you want to be an asshole and not say "no thank you"

Nevasleep

60325436.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My PS4 and PC? Thirty seconds

I could be petty and argue that nobody can type a long password on PS4 in 30 seconds but I'm distracted by how few wifi devices you have

I've wired as many devices as I can, and I still have prolly 12-14 wifi things (8 just counting family phones and iPads)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I could be petty and argue that nobody can type a long password on PS4 in 30 seconds but I'm distracted by how few wifi devices you have

I've wired as many devices as I can, and I still have prolly 12-14 wifi things (8 just counting family phones and iPads)

I have a phone with unlimited data and a tablet but it's usually disconnected from the wifi as I'll DL things on my PC and upload them to the tablet. Other than that I'm Not sure what else I'd have connected. I also live by myself.

Make a reasonable copy of a lot of the more common parts of the internet and set them up to serve off a NAS.
Setup a guest WiFi AP for people to use. Severely limit the bandwidth on it so things are a little slow.
Direct that particular AP vlan to use internal DNS.
Point all of the DNS requests to the NAS-internet clone

Enjoy.
How hard would it be to setup a working amazon checkout clone for that plaintext credit card info.?

What I don't understand is how people would need someone else's wifi when most adults now have Smartphones with 3G or LTE. They could tether or just use their damn phone. Why the fixation over Wifi?

It's never a good idea. Thing is, that dude might look up something very bad and if your line gets tapped and your name will be attached to the service. You could be on the hook for someone else's stupidity.

Though I think it's better now they can trace it to the machine, and not just the service.

Still, no, if the person was going to pay a fraction of the bill then it may be okay but your better off not doing it.

Back in the day my friend names his wifi "Unable to connect", and the password was FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I remember it was super annoying to put it into my laptop because I always had to found out 14 F's

He also names it unable to connect specifically to try to throw people off of trying to connect to his wifi

Jonnax

You can hack into WPA2?
You should publish a paper, you'd get international recognition overnight!

lol

How hard would it be to setup a working amazon checkout clone for that plaintext credit card info.?

Sadly, easier than you'd think, if the environment has no access to the internet whatsoever. The SSL verification would be the only real problem, but I'm sure if you control enough of the honeypot you could spoof some verification, too. Assuming the person even stays aware, because you could outright not use SSL and not need it to validate and they wouldn't give it a second thought.

Top Bottom