• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People walking their dogs in stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

how about the owners that smile and say "my dog never acts like this!" after the little shit lunges at you without a muzzle guard? it happens several times a year.

I had this happen to me at a coffee shop. I walked in and a woman had her dog with her unleashed. The dog saw me, jumped up and bit me on the leg. Luckily I was wearing jeans so it didn't go through the skin. But of course "oh I'm sorry-my dog never does this!"

norm9

I had this happen to me at a coffee shop. I walked in and a woman had her dog with her unleashed. The dog saw me, jumped up and bit me on the leg. Luckily I was wearing jeans so it didn't go through the skin. But of course "oh I'm sorry-my dog never does this!"

You're now qualified to get a emotional support dog.

Hydrus

I live in SoCal and saw a woman carrying a small pig in her arm as she shopped. The poor thing looked miserable and she seemed to be loving the attention, as she pretended it was no big deal, while people stared at her.

Mechazawa

In what universe would a dog owner have their dog shit in a store and then make an employee clean it up?

If someone tried to do that they'd probably be laughed at and given a paper towel and some spray.

Is this post a joke?

I wouldn't bat a fucking eye if someone had their dog take a shit at a store and then immediately scurried away.

Is this post a joke?

I wouldn't bat a fucking eye if someone had their dog take a shit at a store and then immediately scurried away.

Idk, I worked at a grocery store for 7 months and never ever had a dog poop on the floor, nor have I ever seen a dog poop in any other store.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I have no problem with true medical assistance dogs, even for emotional support, but it should pay for its seat (if required) and more needs to be done about people abusing the system, because they're eventually going to make it worse for people with real needs.

I think this is where I'm at with this, as I'm worried on what effect it might have for real assist dogs. It's not easy to differentiate good, trained dogs from just an average dog. At least with service dogs it shouts out "hey I'm well-trained! I'm also working so please don't pet me :x". Sure, people can buy the fake vests, but it comes down to how much will end up being allowed? More dogs allowed in, the more the average joe will say "oh, I can bring my dog in here now, too??" With all the comments about filthy people, don't forget these people can own dogs, too! Bad people make bad dogs etc.

Askani

In what universe would a dog owner have their dog shit in a store and then make an employee clean it up?

If someone tried to do that they'd probably be laughed at and given a paper towel and some spray.

You must be a secret alien new to humanity. Welcome to our planet. Thanks for assuming we're not dicks but lots of people are dicks. You probably know them as space dicks, galaxy traveler.

Mechazawa

Idk, I worked at a grocery store for 7 months and never ever had a dog poop on the floor, nor have I ever seen a dog poop in any other store.

I've worked at a Kroger for years and seen people do way more heinous and dickish shit than than a dog shitting in an aisle.

I rarely saw animals come in the store, but people aren't magically exempt from being cunts just because they have a dog with them.

zeemumu

I dislike it when the dogs are service animals because I can't pet them. Dogs look awesome when they're being professional.

You must be a secret alien new to humanity. Welcome to our planet. Thanks for assuming we're not dicks but lots of people are dicks. You probably know them as space dicks, galaxy traveler.

Oh I know people are dicks, I dealt with them as a cashier lmao. I just think having a dog shit in an aisle and have the person walk away is something that's a bit too far-fetched for me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think this is where I'm at with this, as I'm worried on what effect it might have for real assist dogs. It's not easy to differentiate good, trained dogs from just an average dog. At least with service dogs it shouts out "hey I'm well-trained! I'm also working so please don't pet me :x". Sure, people can buy the fake vests, but it comes down to how much will end up being allowed? More dogs allowed in, the more the average joe will say "oh, I can bring my dog in here now, too??" With all the comments about filthy people, don't forget these people can own dogs, too! Bad people make bad dogs etc.

Fake vests are atrocious. Those people are the same scum who park in handicapped spots. But a bigger issue is doctors handing out certificates like candy. "I don't like flying" here have a certificate and some vicodin. 'I'm a bit sad about the ending of Rogue One" here take your poorly trained piss everywhere dog wherever the fuck you like.

And the endgame for this idiocy is people with real needs suffering and being judged.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

It's crazy how some people still manage to have such a positive and naive view of their fellow humans.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I know people are dicks, I dealt with them as a cashier lmao. I just think having a dog shit in an aisle and have the person walk away is something that's a bit too far-fetched for me.

I've seen a number of cases where a kid would poop in the aisle of a store and the parents would just walk away with them. It happens. A lot. I see dogs being walked poop in the middle of sidewalks and on peoples lawns, and the owner just kind of walks away when it's done its business. Not everyone likes responsibility, or are considerate of others.

Askani

We had a guy have an epileptic seizure in between the two registers that lead outside of the garden center. In this 8 foot space, with me, my store manager, the care giver with him, and this guy laying on the cement, people were still trying to get by to check out while we were waiting on the ambulance and looking after him.

People suck.

We had a guy have an epileptic seizure in between the two registers that lead outside of the garden center. In this 8 foot space, with me, my store manager, the care giver with him, and this guy laying on the cement, people were still trying to get by to check out while we were waiting on the ambulance and looking after him.

People suck.

ayyy that exact same thing happened to me once! People were walking over the woman lying on the ground trying to check out lmao

nomster

A Woman started feeding her dog wet dog food on top of one of the coffee shop tables at my supermarket the other day. I wanted to barf.

Saw somebody bring a parrot into a Wendys I worked at. Beautiful bird, probably had clipped wings, and it was really calm. Still, no idea why you'd do that instead of going through the drive through.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Fake vests are atrocious. Those people are the same scum who park in handicapped spots. But a bigger issue is doctors handing out certificates like candy. "I don't like flying" here have a certificate and some vicodin. 'I'm a bit sad about the ending of Rogue One" here take your poorly trained piss everywhere dog wherever the fuck you like.

And the endgame for this idiocy is people with real needs suffering and being judged.

I wonder how often "comfort dog prescriptions" are actually given out? I know pills are pretty much popped like candy, but how would needing to have a dog around all the time be assessed? A little stress? Some anxiety? Escalated mental health issues?

I wonder how often "comfort dog prescriptions" are actually given out? I know pills are pretty much popped like candy, but how would needing to have a dog around all the time be assessed? A little stress? Some anxiety? Escalated mental health issues?

I doubt they'd give them out without having a psychiatric diagnosis first.

dpunk3

I have OCD, and because of it I hate pets. Seeing them in stores gets on my nerves so much, especially because its insanely unsanitary and inconsiderate of others. Animals belong outside.

Take our dog most places, just went furniture shopping and she came with.

We always ask an employee if it's okay for her to go into the store. If they say yes, great. If they say no, that's fine too. We won't go in.

And if people want to say hi, great. Most people do. If people don't like it and stay away from us, even better.

I've seen dogs which behaved better in stores than some peoples' kids.

Yep. I don't see dogs screaming in stores, or wiping boogers on things. Kids are loud, disgusting creatures, way worse than any dog in a store or restaurant patio I've seen.

I have OCD, and because of it I hate pets. Seeing them in stores gets on my nerves so much, especially because its insanely unsanitary and inconsiderate of others. Animals belong outside.

Mmm hmmm.

it happens so often here in NYC i feel that people shouldn't be allowed to have pets without insurance. larger dogs should have bigger insurance policies.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/dog-bite-prevention/
Approximately 4.5 million dog bites occur each year in the United States. Almost 1 out of 5 bites becomes infected.

The following types of dog are most often considered "bad breeds" by many insurance companies:

Akita
Alaskan Malamute
Chow Chow
Doberman
German Shepherd
Pit Bull
Rottweiler
Siberian Husky
Wolf Hybrid

Airplanes.

Absolutely FULL of dog-liars now. Emotional support dogs. yesterday someone brought a giant Labradoodle onto my flight. I couldn't see where it ended up but literally as big as a person, effectively.

I have no problem with true medical assistance dogs, even for emotional support, but it should pay for its seat (if required) and more needs to be done about people abusing the system, because they're eventually going to make it worse for people with real needs.

Doctors need to be at the frontline of telling people NO.

I notice this at school. Some people brings dogs on campus some without a leash and they're clearly not even ESA or service dogs in any sense. Didn't know it's a trend publicly though. I guess it's better than prescribing medication.

norm9

Take our dog most places, just went furniture shopping and she came with.

We always ask an employee if it's okay for her to go into the store. If they say yes, great. If they say no, that's fine too. We won't go in.

How often do people say no? I'm guessing it's rare to never because people don't know too much about service animal laws and don't want to face a fine and lawsuit by asking questions. And the inevitable I'm taking my business elsewhere spiel.

How often do people say no? I'm guessing it's rare to never because people don't know too much about service animal laws and don't want to face a fine and lawsuit by asking questions. And the inevitable I'm taking my business elsewhere spiel.

Restaurants and where food is sold say no (as they should imo, and we wouldn't ask anyways, always stay outside where food is concerned). A few local shops have said no. Can respect that. Haven't sensed a begrudging agreement, but we live in a very dog friendly beach town and people are very laid back generally.

Wazzy

Banned
Love dogs in stores. My retail job welcomes them and that's because they're harmless and almost everyone enjoys having them in the store. Usually if we see someone who looks annoyed by it they weren't exactly a nice customer before it.

mAcOdIn

Dog people are incredibly inconsiderate towards others, nothing new.
I generally find that people who have pets are nicer to other people, people who don't like animals are usually stuck up and no fun.

That said, there's no denying that some people with animals are jackasses.

acohrs

Only take my dogs into places where I know it's allowed. The only exception is cafes with no seats and only do take out, then I bring em in to get a quick coffee and dash.

Philia

I work at Marshalls and we have a pet department so naturally we see quite often dogs in the carrier bags or in the shopping cart. These are fine. Every once in a while we'd get a large dog, most often its an eye seeing dog leading the blind and another would be "training" for this particular case. I think I've seen only once that a dog wasn't either case and wasn't in the shopping cart (too big for it) but no one really batted an eye. I mean really, we're already getting these dogs in for the blind, who are we to argue otherwise?

These special dogs have vests though. But anyway, since no case fits all, all dogs are pretty much welcome at this point. I've not yet seen a cat though. If there was an owner that had a cat in a backpack (with a window) or in a mesh covered stroller, I wouldn't pursue either because that cat is restrained.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I saw a guy walking a cat without a leash at Fry's once. Blew my mind.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I saw a dog pee on one of the shopping baskets people leave at the registers at a Sprouts. Owner didn't give a shit. Sprouts sells a lot of loose fruits and vegetables that people put into those baskets.

Lots of people do not like dogs or are allergic. It's selfish to bring your pet into a public space unless given explicit permission in my eyes.

Obviously service dogs for the disabled are an exception.
I nearly died from a cat allergy. I don't spontaneously combust from entering a room where a cat has been. The allergy excuse is almost 99% of times complete bs unless the space is very confined (and even then there are ways around it). Thousands of dogs travel in European trains all year and it does not cause systematic histaminic disaster

Mr-Joker

Banned
Unless it's a guide dog, dog should be kept outside due to;

-Health and safety reasons,

-People having phobia towards dog so they would feel uncomfortable,

How do you feel if you see this guy walking up to you?

Unnerved as I see a big dog wandering around the store.

Is this post a joke?

A dog once wee on my older brother and the owner just brushed it off and didn't take any responsibly about the fact the her dog wee on his jumper, which he ended up leaving behind.

Spenny

I bring my dog everywhere. Fishing, hunting, camping, and hiking. I would never take him into a store. It seems rude to the other people shopping and the store owners. Even if it were allowed by the owners I still wouldn't. Too many variables even for my highly trained hunting dog.

Lucreto

I don't mine dogs in stores as long as they are muzzled. I don't care how well they are trained. A kid got bitten at one stage and the dog owner and the store were successful sued.

styl3s

i noticed lately that people are allowed to have dogs in my apartment complex if they claim to need them for mental health reasons

pet people are weird
Yeah those fucking weirdos and their mental illnesses! /s

I would rather have my therapy dog and feel emotion then shovel a bunch of pills down my throat and feel dead inside.

Stinkles

I nearly died from a cat allergy. I don't spontaneously combust from entering a room where a cat has been. The allergy excuse is almost 99% of times complete bs unless the space is very confined (and even then there are ways around it). Thousands of dogs travel in European trains all year and it does not cause systematic histaminic disaster

I'm highly allergic to cats.

If there's one on a plane I will have mild to moderate breathing difficulties and can't touch my eyes or mucus membranes without them becoming inflamed. Different than a store but a big deal.

Milchmann

When I lived in Germany it seemed dogs were welcomed almost everywhere. But then, they all behaved. Americans just aren't capable of pulling that off. I love you my people, but half of you can't care for pets properly.

I have never seen a dog in a grocery store in Germany.

Stinkles

Yeah those fucking weirdos and their mental illnesses! /s

I would rather have my therapy dog and feel emotion then shovel a bunch of pills down my throat and feel dead inside.

Well you have a real issue. You're outnumbered by people abusing the system because they like having their dog with them. And you should be more critical of those people than I am because they're going to make your life more difficult eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom