• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who walk with feet pointing outwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was born with my feet facing backward. The docs had to break my ankles and reset them. Yeah, my feet point out some, but it doesn't hurt me at all.

I used to walk like this a lot when I was younger. I usually stand with my feet pointing outwards too, it's just more comfortable

Also, I vote we now turn this into a foot fetish thread

I have duck feet when i am standing but I don't really notice it when I am walking or running. It certainly has never bothered me with either of those activities. I can't quite put both feet all around like in that photo, just do one at a time like that. It's funny to try to point my knees/feet straight and try to do a squat, it's so much harder than it should be.

I've got duck feet. >:[

I was born this way. There was nothing they could do besides attach a metal bar to my legs when I was a baby to try and pull them so they'd be straight, but my Mom thought it would be cruel.

It actually kinda hurts my knees if I try to walk with my feet pointed forward. :/

I can't turn both my feet backwards, but I can do one at a time no problem.

I brought this up once in OT and seemed like there were really strong opinions about it.

Some peeps say it's a sign of a welcoming/cheerful/outgoing personality or something. I think it looks goofy as a mofo.

I decided to free my mind and now I think nothing of it. Well, sorta. But I'm over it.

Suairyu

Banned
Garcia said:
I've been doing that for plenty of time already and it's true, your body learns to re-adjust itself to walking in a straight fashion, however there are some times when I have to check on my foot whenever I start to feel I'm walking the way I used to.
Yeah, maybe once in a blue moon, typically when I'm tired and exhausted, I have to check myself.

It's the same with my posture. Had spinal surgery and long months of lying down and not doing much else means I've had a terrible slouch. One day my boss pointed it to me, physically readjusted me with his hands into the perfect posture and said "now do that, all the time, even if it hurts". Such a massive strain as essentially it was just slowly strengthening my back muscles by making them work all the time, but the payoff has been brilliant. It's now feels wrong to me to slouch. My posture is incredible and for the longest time people who didn't notice the actual change kept making comments about how I generally just looked more confident and strong in myself. Good posture does that, yo.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
crowphoenix said:
I was born with my feet facing backward. The docs had to break my ankles and reset them. Yeah, my feet point out some, but it doesn't hurt me at all.

I don't know if this a joke but once I was in the metro and I saw a woman in pink tracksuit crawl inside and past me

As if that wasn't odd enough, when I looked down, I realised her entire lower body faced the other way, so although she was on all fours, I was looking down at her pelvis and knees pointing outwards.

I'm not someone who really reacts to oddities in other people, but my heart literally stopped beating for far too long when I saw that.

Jhriad

kevo_huevo said:
I think the medical condition you're all referring to is called genu valgum, or more commonly known as knock knees.

No. That's a separate medical condition though it looks like the feet do point outward somewhat from that condition as well. What he's referring to is called 'out-toeing' I believe and as far as I'm aware it's most commonly caused by a rotational issue w/ hips being more "open" or some such.

I walk with my feet pointed out though not past 45 degrees. I assume it's something I got from my father since we both walk that way. Oddly enough in-toeing is more common.

Clydefrog

I don't think I do this... but I have played soccer for a very long time... I don't ever remember consciously seeing other people walk like this either.

I better go do a test and walk to the bathroom.

I've never noticed or cared about that, but girls with pigeon toe are a turn off.

Seems like exercise and stretching would at least partially correct some of these conditions.

Jhriad

parrotbeak said:
Seems like exercise and stretching would at least partially correct some of these conditions.

It might affect the causes of some of the out-toeing/in-toeing but they're commonly caused by your bone structure so unless the cause was something like being overweight (which I'm not sure is a cause or not) it's unlikely exercise/stretching will affect the pointing. I know that when my mom asked about it when I was a kid they said they'd have to break some bones and reset them or something along those lines.

Jangocube

Banned
One of my feet does that when I stand still, mainly because I've had foot/ankle problems in the past. Sports injuries ftl.

SO DON'T JUDGE ME OK

Juanadams

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
chaplin.gif
Yep, this is exactly what I think of whenever I see someone walk like this. All they need is to bend there knees more and smoke a cigar and they would be a villian straight out of a silent movie.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Michael Jordan is pigeon-toed (feet point inwards). I read an article a while back that it surmised that it helped in his development as an elite athlete.

Is there an actual universal "normal" way to walk? If not (which is the case), who cares if a person walks with their feet pointed outwards.

Jhriad

Pointed straight is probably the "normal" way to walk. It's honestly surprising how many people actually do care about whether your toes point straight or not. I think I'd put in in the 'sharp knees' category myself.

Neki

Jhriad said:
Pointed straight is probably the "normal" way to walk. It's honestly surprising how many people actually do care about whether your toes point straight or not. I think I'd put in in the 'sharp knees' category myself.
your pre-edit post was way better imo.

Jhriad

The folly of leaving two windows open with the intent of posting a reply to one when I get called out to a job. Was hoping nobody caught it. :p

*whistles innocently*

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What's with all those people who move around sitting in those chairs with wheels on them? So lazy. Why not use your legs?

EYEL1NER

There was a guy in tech school that was probably 6'4" or so, bald, had glasses, and walked like that. Looked goofy as hell.
It baffled us to no end, because in formation, that is how he marched too. Feet at 45 degree angles outward. Probably even more severely turned than 45 degrees. During PT, you know how he ran? With his feet pointing outward like that.

It was bizarre. We all wondered, "How the fuck did he make it out of basic training marching like that? When his flight was learning how to march, surely the TI's must have been tearing him apart every time they saw it...how did they let him get away with whatever ridiculous facing movements he probably does? They probably had him standing on his head stacking BB's all day!"

equap said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227688

there's already a thread for stupid shit like this.
Well shit, 90% of the things people ask in OT could go in that thread.
Why didn't you just say 'Cool question, bro' or something, since you obviously had nothing good to add and just wanted to shit up a thread?

First of all, the primary issue here is likely to be external (lateral) rotation at the hip, as your knee does not rotate much at all when the knee is straight. There's a number of reasons you could have this problem.

The most obvious would be a combination of muscle tightness and muscle weakness in the antagonist muscle group. A good strengthening and stretching regimen could help assist the biomechanics back to normal. Strengthen the internal rotaters and stretch out the external rotaters.

There could also be some physical changes to the bony structures of the involved joints (mainly looking at the hips and knees but at a stretch even ankles) that would lead to people adopting positions of ease causing issues like this, though over time this would lead to the above changes also so both would need to be corrected.

A slight amount of external rotation is actually completely normal. The shin should align with the 2nd toe in standing iirc.

/physio student

Edit - There seem to be a lot of people confusing this with an issue with flat footedness. Flat foot is an a foot issue and unless very severe is unlikely to have much of an effect on the rotation of the hip, therefore it's a seperate issue. If you have very flat feet, you will get over pronation of the foot, very high arches will lead to over supination (much less common). Over pronation can lead to some appearance of external rotation, but you can very much be over pronated and also have perfectly normal hip rotation and therefore your feet wont point outwards as much. Overpronation can lead to a valgus deformity at the knees, however this would lead to an internal rotation at the hip, not an external rotation.

I may have got some of this stuff wrong, I'm still studying :p

MIMIC

Banned
I think my parents told me that I wore special shoes to correct it at an early age. My feet are perfectly straight forward when I walk.

Dude in my high school had his right foot fucked up by playing football. From that point on his right foot was constantly pointing near-90 degrees to the right. Looked weird.

However, some people are just more comfortable walking that way. I'm glad that's not me because i'd rather not walk like a penguin.

Mistake

I just always associated this with ankle or joint issues. I've only noticed this with my friends that are on the larger side, but it can be seen in other types of people too? Strange.

way more

The proper term is over-pronation.

pronation.jpg

It can get worse.

pronation-1.jpg

But if you aren't a jogger or active type it may not affect you that much.

The Lamp

gutterboy44 said:
This drives me crazy. Every day on my commute I notice tons of people all shapes and sizes walking with their toes pointing out. It seems so strange and uncomfortable to me. Glad I am not the only one out there who notices this. Walk straight damn it!

Yeah I also notice it and it bothers me lol. When I notice it I always look down at my feet to make sure they're straight.

Sealda

Banned
I never seen anyone playing soccer etc. having this type of thing. Its mostly common with people who have crappy sports abilities. The ones i know who walk like that, are the ones who never practiced any sports or were any good at running etc. They might been okay, but never top notch.

XrayRicketsLegssmall.jpg

AKA Genu Varum the opposite to Valgum.

Maleficence said:
First of all, the primary issue here is likely to be external (lateral) rotation at the hip, as your knee does not rotate much at all when the knee is straight. There's a number of reasons you could have this problem.

The most obvious would be a combination of muscle tightness and muscle weakness in the antagonist muscle group. A good strengthening and stretching regimen could help assist the biomechanics back to normal. Strengthen the internal rotaters and stretch out the external rotaters.

There could also be some physical changes to the bony structures of the involved joints (mainly looking at the hips and knees but at a stretch even ankles) that would lead to people adopting positions of ease causing issues like this, though over time this would lead to the above changes also so both would need to be corrected.

A slight amount of external rotation is actually completely normal. The shin should align with the 2nd toe in standing iirc.

/physio student

Edit - There seem to be a lot of people confusing this with an issue with flat footedness. Flat foot is an a foot issue and unless very severe is unlikely to have much of an effect on the rotation of the hip, therefore it's a seperate issue. If you have very flat feet, you will get over pronation of the foot, very high arches will lead to over supination (much less common). Over pronation can lead to some appearance of external rotation, but you can very much be over pronated and also have perfectly normal hip rotation and therefore your feet wont point outwards as much. Overpronation can lead to a valgus deformity at the knees, however this would lead to an internal rotation at the hip, not an external rotation.

I may have got some of this stuff wrong, I'm still studying :p

NEEEEEEERD!

bengraven

El Pescado said:
I've got duck feet. >:[

I was born this way. There was nothing they could do besides attach a metal bar to my legs when I was a baby to try and pull them so they'd be straight, but my Mom thought it would be cruel.

It actually kinda hurts my knees if I try to walk with my feet pointed forward. :/

I can't turn both my feet backwards, but I can do one at a time no problem.

I could have easily wrote this myself. Duck feet 4 lyfe.

My dad has duck feet. When he runs they centre a bit, but still splay outwards. He has always been like that though ever since he was a kid. Didn't influence his sport playing ability.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I walk like this. Was just born this way. My feet are just crooked. It's bad enough that it is basically impossible for me to skate or ski. For skiing, it takes effort for me to french fry and it's incredibly uncomfortable for me to pizza. If I made my feet parallel and did a squat, my knees would touch. So I just can't do it.

For those that think only fatasses are like this, I'm only 190 lbs. A little overweight, but I doubt many would say that I'm a fatass.

big ander

Random related story:
was downtown with some friends over the summer and one of my friends walks like this slightly. Probably about a 35 degree angle. He was distanced from us a bit, and we saw the people behind him mimicking and laughing at his walk. Then, we all stopped at a crosswalk and he came back to us. We told him what those people were doing, so when the walk signal came he got in front of them and walked with is feet near 90 degrees and bobbing his entire body up and down. He got the whole group behind him to continue to laugh and mimic him, and then he suddenly stopped and turned around at all of them walking like him. Was hilarious.

Moppet13

I walk with my right foot at a 45 degree angle, if I point my foot straight and bend my knees my right knee pushes out left. I assume it's from when I broke my leg though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom