• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People with skin |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebron

I also found that Spin can not ride shotgun in my Lambo, because he will most likely try to bring in a bucket of KFC grilled with him. Grilled Chicken? Sucka you must be crazy!

Don't all threads pretty much devolve into little cliquish groups anyways? In the OP at least. The gaming threads seem more on point. I understand wanting these threads to be accessible, but it's not like it was particularly difficult to do. In Negro-age, if you posted about 1) Food, 2) Women, 3) Music, or 4) Pictures of yourself you damn near reserved a seat to everyones summer bbq...:D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Cuban Legend said:
Isn't that more or less what a Megathread is?

...yes? The whole point is that megathreads need to be strictly regulated on GAF to keep the forum from just being a collection of megathreads, because we have limited space.

I see your point about megathreads about a particular race/culture becoming insular, but relegating them to simple "chat rooms" seems unfair to me as gaming megathreads are basically chat-rooms about said game. Nothing stops anyone from outside of said culture/race from posting in the thread with a question. People from outside HaloGAf post in that thread asking about Halo without any problems.

Megathreads, period. Not megathreads about race or cultural issues specifically. Megathreads, period.

Narag

DY_nasty said:
I didn't even get to troll dreams for being an Alpha like I planned :lol

Oh well, you can find me in NBA-age. Hatin

Don't abandon Bowser. Panthers time to shine this week!

Lebron said:
I also found that Spin can not ride shotgun in my Lambo, because he will most likely try to bring in a bucket of KFC grilled with him. Grilled Chicken? Sucka you must be crazy!
:lol :lol :lol Brother do NOT go there. All I got to say is KFC > urvythang chicken related. KFC Chicken is so good the chicken breakdance. What good is Popeyes...

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Dreams-Visions said:
all of these threads had their value. I blame the TC of the bitter White-GAF thread. today would not have ended like this were it not for that lulz/troll thread and it's offspring.

i agree, however, I think the gaygaf and transgaf threads are especially valuable due to the social stigma that is often associated with homosexuality and transexuality.

It's kinda hard to convey adequately but coming out to oneself (and to others) takes a massive mental toll on you.

Zeke

i_am_ben said:
Also, unlike the ethnicity threads gaygaf has helped many people come out of the closet and be comfortable with who they are.
and hispanigaf and negro-gaf could have helped other people too such as dispelling stupid stereotypes and educating people about different cultures and struggles. Sharing our own life experiences so that others wouldn't feel alone. In hispanigaf they could talk about political climates in different countries which are pretty fucking bad in most places.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Pickles the Firecat said:
I had a serious use for Negro-Age too. I'm a mulatto and I have been through a lot of self-discovery, image issues, etc and having a thread like that would have been nice. Especially now that I'm in an interracial relationship with a girl that doesn't know anything about black culture. Also it's not exactly the norm (or looked highly upon) in the black community to be a nerd. You can feel real ostracized sometimes and even more so coming to GAF where the default assumption is everyone is a white mid-twenties gamer.

Yeah, it's not the same as keeping people from suicide, but Negro-Age had a legit use aside from being fun as hell. Oh well, back to NBA-Age.
that's totally fair.

I didn't read Negro-age, so I'm not about to make any assumptions. :)

Dead Man

i_am_ben said:
i agree, however, I think the gaygaf and transgaf threads are especially valuable due to the social stigma that is often associated with homosexuality and transexuality.

It's kinda hard to convey adequately but coming out to oneself (and to others) takes a massive mental toll on you.
I absolutely agree with you, but for better or worse EviLore is under no obligation to provide a space for that. I hope he does, because I value both those threads (along with AusGAF) highly, but I have to admit he has no moral or ethical obligation to keep them open.

confession time,

i love current r&b. yes, that means trey songz, the dream, jeremih, all that shit. i love classic r&b but man the new stuff is infectious. doesnt help that girls love that stuff too and its just too easy to get touchy and feely with em when you got this kinda stuff on...

also anyone into dancehall and soca? its been a while since i heard some crazy dance song, excluding major lazer stuff

also im not black but kfc wedges > popeyes fries. for that kfc wins

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Narag said:
Don't abandon Bowser. Panthers time to shine this week!
Bowser is going to be rocking a Bobcats avatar before November :lol
sciplore said:
Fixed for you. But it does not really matter now I suppose. Well we should make the most of it while we can. Greatest love song or what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzkwLWK-Ps
Awww damn... even as a kid I wouldn't talk when this song started playing in the car.

Edit: Damn, I gotta turn this shit off before I start hitting up ex-girlfriends on facebook :lol

Lebron

spindashing said:
:lol :lol :lol Brother do NOT go there. All I got to say is KFC > urvythang chicken related. KFC Chicken is so good the chicken breakdance. What good is Popeyes...
Whatever, when we raid that Haitian house you better be on my side!

spindashing said:

2v01tee.jpg

mollipen

EviLore said:
When you have something interesting and substantial to post, you can post a thread about it and people will chime in. It keeps things moving and keeps things accessible. Huge megathreads about particular subjects are not accessible except for the people already deep in them.

One could make the argument that what this leads to is just a bunch of totally disposable threads, instead of ones that are given the time to grow into real discussions.

If the Transgaf thread goes away because of all of this, that'll be a shame. It was nice having a place on here for a while where actual discussion on the topic could take place, and where people could have a specific location to read about what others are going through.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Dead Man said:
I absolutely agree with you, but for better or worse EviLore is under no obligation to provide a space for that. I hope he does, because I value both those threads (along with AusGAF) highly, but I have to admit he has no moral or ethical obligation to keep them open.

not even because it's my birthday :( ?

Lebron said:
Whatever, when we raid that Haitian house you better be on my side!
Oh, you bet your ass I got your ba--wait what the fuck, man. Dem be my people you're targetting. I'm taking my bucket of grilled chicken elsewhere -- I hope the Hispanics appreciate this culinary treat. . . .

Zeke said:
and hispanigaf and negro-gaf could have helped other people too such as dispelling stupid stereotypes and educating people about different cultures and struggles. Sharing our own life experiences so that others wouldn't feel alone. In hispanigaf they could talk about political climates in different countries which are pretty fucking bad in most places.

Yeah I don't get the dismissive attitude to the ethnic threads. It's not like it's a new idea...minorities discuss things in community settings all the time, the naivety like "I don't really get what was so important" is bothersome.

BTW evillore, I noticed you shut down the Horror OT and said that the OP can repost under the name "Horror movie appreciation" or whatever. Were you being sarcastic with that? And if not, what is the discrepancy?

Rez said:
that's totally fair.

I didn't read Negro-age, so I'm not about to make any assumptions. :)

It's all good. I hope GayGAF gets to stick around at least, it seems like a pretty well established part of the community and it does a lot of good for a bunch of members. I'm glad it helped you come out.

EviLore said:
...yes? The whole point is that megathreads need to be strictly regulated on GAF to keep the forum from just being a collection of megathreads, because we have limited space.

Megathreads, period. Not megathreads about race or cultural issues specifically. Megathreads, period.
So you want to regulate Megathreads that fix disposable space-wasting threads, but you don't want GAF to have too many Megathreads because they cause space issues?

Ok so if I get this correctly your point is that you want the least amount of Megathreads possible because they cause space issues? So AdminGAF started to regulate them by starting a new one before they hit 20k posts?

So if the culture/race threads like NegroGAF and HispanicGAF were to be regulated like the HaloGAF Megathread and all other Megathreads then it's alright to have them? None of the culture/race Megathreads were near 20k posts yet if I recall.

sciplore

DY_nasty said:
Bowser is going to be rocking a Bobcats avatar before November :lol

Awww damn... even as a kid I wouldn't talk when this song started playing in the car.

Edit: Damn, I gotta turn this shit off before I start hitting up ex-girlfriends on facebook :lol

Thats what it wants you to do :lol :lol.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dead Man said:
Okay then. EVILORE, YOU MUST KEEP THEM OPEN SINCE IT'S BEN'S BIRTHDAY! :D

Maybe you could wish on the birthday skeleton?

http://imgur.com/w72mk.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]
well, this comic is going to be doing the rounds next birthday :lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Some level of megathread activity is doable, but you may have seen how it was turning out on the gaming side. Once I made the game official thread formatting standardized you could see like 75% of page 1 was |OT| and it was clear the gaming side was falling apart from its intended purpose.

The off-topic forum isn't in danger of that, and isn't saddled with having to deal with a billion major video game releases all getting separate threads and still having everything else mixed in. Just, I see |OT|s for every race/ethnicity on page 1 and it sets off warning lights. Yes, people were trolling with some of them, but it's also justifiable. So something had to be figured out, and they were merged together in the interim.

BTW evillore, I noticed you shut down the Horror OT and said that the OP can repost under the name "Horror movie appreciation" or whatever. Were you being sarcastic with that? And if not, what is the discrepancy?

Find some some movie poster pictures, "OFFICIAL THREAD FOR ALL HORROR DISCUSSION," everything horror related pigeonholed into one thread. No thanks. If you want to make a thread about appreciation of horror movies, go for it, but it's not an |OT|.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ok so if I get this correctly your point is that you want the least amount of Megathreads possible because they cause space issues? So AdminGAF started to regulate them by starting a new one before they hit 20k posts?

For. Fuck's. Sake.

No. You don't get it correctly.

Cuban Legend said:
Ok so if I get this correctly your point is that you want the least amount of megathreads possible because they cause space issues? So AdminGAF started to regulate them by starting a new one before they hit 20k posts?

So if the culture/race threads like NegroGAF and HispanicGAF were to be regulated like the HaloGAF megathread and all other megathreads then it's alright to have them? None of the culture/race megathreads were near 20k posts yet if I recall.

None of them would even approach that over any period of time. Like DY and others have said, Negro-Age only took off because of the initial novelty of "OH SHIT there's other black people on GAF?!" (I felt the same way when I found the thread). Hispanic-Age topped out at 20 pages after what, five months? Others have made this point before but neither thread was going to be massive. I doubt they would even approach the monthly sports threads.

I'm not sure what's up with the GAF server or whatever, and if it's a legit issue I can't really argue against that. But neither thread was going to explode past any reasonable size.

Edit: I think the whole specific race OTs thing was just a short term novelty. It wasn't going to last long, especially the joke threads. Hell I doubt they would have lasted past today.

I'm officially lost. I apologize, I'm genuinely trying hard to understand Evilore's reasoning behind Megathreads in relation to race/culture.

Zeke

Liara T'Soni said:
Yeah I don't get the dismissive attitude to the ethnic threads. It's not like it's a new idea...minorities discuss things in community settings all the time, the naivety like "I don't really get what was so important" is bothersome.
yea this really doesn't sit well with me I just don't get how someone can say well this thread is much more important than this other thread. What thread is important to you might not be as important for others. Each thread was important for different reasons you just can't put one over the other.

yencid

Pickles the Firecat said:
None of them would even approach that over any period of time. Like DY and others have said, Negro-Age only took off because of the initial novelty of "OH SHIT there's other black people on GAF?!" (I felt the same way when I found the thread). Hispanic-Age topped out at 20 pages after what, five months? Others have made this point before but neither thread was going to be massive. I doubt they would even approach the monthly sports threads.

I'm not sure what's up with the GAF server or whatever, and if it's a legit issue I can't really argue against that. But neither thread was going to explode past any reasonable size.
Hes right, same thing happened to the hispanigaf thread, it slowed down greatly.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think he is saying that if you have multiple megathreads then the entire front page will eventually become megathreads around particular topics preventing regular threads, which is the real purpose of a message board, from ever getting seen. Most message boards have more than 'main topic' and 'off-topic' for this reason.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Cuban Legend said:
I'm officially lost. I apologize, I'm genuinely trying hard to understand Evilore's reasoning behind Megathreads in relation to race/culture.
Ironically it has nothing to do with race/culture.

poppabk said:
I think he is saying that if you have multiple megathreads then the entire front page will eventually become megathreads around particular topics preventing regular threads, which is the real purpose of a message board, from ever getting seen. Most message boards have more than 'main topic' and 'off-topic' for this reason.
This, and really large threads are very inaccessible to people who hadn't participate in it. There's no need for |OT| for every single topic.

mollipen

EviLore said:
For. Fuck's. Sake.

No. You don't get it correctly.

This is being sprung on people suddenly, people are confused about what the rules are going to be going forward, people are concerned about long-running and meaningful threads, and so far, your few posts in here haven't been totally clear in answering all of those things.

You could be a little more understand in appreciating that some people are totally confused right now.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
poppabk said:
HispanicGAF had been around for months. It got bumped. NegroGAF was still spankin new for the most part but already showing plenty of signs of slowing down. The white-age thread was just... it was a reactionary troll thread that didn't make it a page without someone throwing out a racist joke and the OP got banned so that says enough. Same with the Asian thread.

I'd probably feel differently if a mod came through before all that happened, but whatever. Gotta suck it up and get ready for the Panthers to lose again :/

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Cuban Legend said:
I'm officially lost. I apologize, I'm genuinely trying hard to understand.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23758193&postcount=6275

~20k posts = new thread is started to continue a megathread (OT2 and so forth), to prevent server issues. Already done when threads get big and not what is being discussed here.

That megathreads are allowed for certain areas (sports stickies, official threads for games) is a concession to ensure the gaming and off-topic areas aren't overwhelmed by thread creation for those subjects. Megathreads not being allowed for other areas (most all other discussion on the gaming forum) has nothing to do with the 20k post issue, it's to keep the forum moving and browsable for the millions of people who read GAF, not to cater to the dozen or two entrenched posters of any particular insular megathread subcommunity.

This is a trickier issue on the off-topic forum because it's more participation-oriented than the gaming side. So the balance is different.

This is a sensitive issue to me so I feel compelled to post about it. The very idea of a megathread runs counter productive to a web forum. Ideally, the entire forum should act as a canvas to post about ideas and learn new information. When a megathread is born, that thread becomes its own conduit within the community. Members grow an affiliation with it and post into it on a regular basis, and as such topics get absorbed into them, many of which you would never know about unless you happen to read the megathread. As megathreads grow, they become more and more insular, to the point where members join just to participate in that thread or series of threads, which negatively impacts the entire forum. You get users that never visit the other sections of your forum, never participate in anything that doesn't have to do with the megathreads, and the cycle continues to get worse.

The influence of the megathreads then spreads to the rest of the forum. someone will post something and someone will say "shouldn't this go in the megathread?" (This is happening right now on the gaming side.) people comply, and the main traffic on the board, say, gaming side, slows, because all of the pertinent info is stored in the megathreads. New members have to "catch up" if they want to be up to speed at all, and people can miss info entirely because of things that may have developed when they were sleeping, or otherwise not paying attention. Existing members grow a companionship with regular posters, and shut out "outsiders" until they gain enough influence to be recognized. Not to mention the amount of pages that megathreads go to put a huge strain on servers.

I used to moderate a forum that devolved into one giant megathread despite my best efforts. Checking it now there are other threads up, but many of them only last a page because everything, and everyone, just posts in the giant megathread.

DY_nasty said:
Because I was upset at the fact that GayGAF got to come through essentially the same situation with their thread intact.

That's my problem because it's like:

Gay GAF...hey fellas welcome enjoy yourselves :D
Hispanic GAF....hola amigo's! :D
Black GAF....awwwwh shit dey goin' crash da forumz!!! Shut this shit down!!

But I guess it's just a coincidence things turned out this way.

Cyan

Banned
So it's more that you don't want lots of giant official threads?

If a community develops around a series of related threads, that's not an issue, is it? (e.g. college football weekly threads)

On one hand, this forum has been waiting years for a crackdown on people labeling every discussion thread ever "official" (something that was supposed to happen a while ago).

On the other... the topics affected right now seemed to in absolutely no way harm the flow or readability of the OT Forum, at all, and they were extremely good and productive threads that helped people connect.

So... nice idea, but a very poor choice for the first example.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
DeaconKnowledge said:
This is a sensitive issue to me so I feel compelled to post about it. The very idea of a megathread runs counter productive to a web forum. Ideally, the entire forum should act as a canvas to post about ideas and learn new information. When a megathread is born, that thread becomes its own conduit within the community. Members grow an affiliation with it and post into it on a regular basis, and as such topics get absorbed into them, many of which you would never know about unless you happen to read the megathread. As megathreads grow, they become more and more insular, to the point where members join just to participate in that thread or series of threads, which negatively impacts the entire forum. You get users that never visit the other sections of your forum, never participate in anything that doesn't have to do with the megathreads, and the cycle continues to get worse.

The influence of the megathreads then spreads to the rest of the forum. someone will post something and someone will say "shouldn't this go in the megathread?" (This is happening right now on the gaming side.) people comply, and the main traffic on the board, say, gaming side, slows, because all of the pertinet info is stored in the megathreads. New members have to "catch up" if they want to be up to speed at all, and people can miss info entirely because of things that may have developed when they were sleeping, or otherwise not paying attention. Not to mention the amount of pages that megathreads go to put a huge strain on servers.

I used to moderate a forum that devolved into one giant megathread despite my best efforts. Checking it now there are other threads up, but many of them only last a few pages because everything, and everyone, just posts in the giant megathread.

Yep, you know exactly what's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom