• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every so often, when buying albums, you come across one that is perfect. By that I don’t mean that the music has universal appeal or even that it is necessarily timeless. I’m talking instead about an album wherein every single song is consistently good throughout, they all tie together in some meaningful way and, most especially, has no jarring tonal shifts that make you want to skip a song.

I’ve come across only a few of these in my life:

Michael Jackson - Thriller : Just to get the obvious out of the way. Every song on this album could have been released as a single. This album changed the world in its own minor way and showed us what pop music could be. Even the rejected songs like Streetwalker and For All Time were amazing.

Maroon 5 – Songs About Jane : I can see some of you rolling your eyes already, your perception of Maroon 5 ruined by thousands of teenage girls who paid more attention to the melody than to the lyrics. Give the album a listen, though, and the peppy lyrics of Sunday Morning or This Love begin to make sense in a grander context of naked venom, reconciliation, loss, lust and shame set to an amazing rock/funk fusion backing. I don’t know what’s so special about Jane, but she f*cked with Adam Levine’s head right and proper. I discovered this album a few months before it hit it big with This Love and have loved it ever since.

Bruno Mars – Doo-wops and Hooligans : Really amazing “pop” RnB and at no point throughout this album did it ever once miss a beat. Even the less mainstream-sounding songs like Liquor Store Blues are catchy and eminently listenable. Like the other albums, I can’t really talk about lesser songs because there are no lesser songs.

Jeramii

Banned
Pinkerton - Weezer
Weezer_comp_Rivers_Cuomo-Pinkerton_3.jpg

Colors - Between the Buried and Me
b8usue.jpg

Fashion Nugget - Cake
43264717.jpg

...And the battle begun - Rx Bandits: if you love great drumming listen to this album.
0000709400_350.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
I only know of one personally.

Joanna Newsom - Ys

There is one thing I would change, I'd put Bill Callahan's harmonies a little lower in the mix. Otherwise it's essentially flawless as far as I can tell. Other than Purple Chick's mix of SMiLE, I've heard no other album more.

FStop7

Banned
Pink Floyd -

Meddle
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals

Tool -

Undertow
Ænima

Weezer -

Blue album

Nine Inch Nails -

Pretty Hate Machine

McNei1y

Nas - Illmatic
Outkast - Aquemini... maybe not. Mamacita does sorta suck IMO
Incubus - Make Yourself
311 - Music

I actually enjoy these two that I recently got into:

Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History
Foster the People - Torches

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Nas - Illmatic

Edit - Master of the Universe (Binary Star) is damn near perfect as well.

BlueWord

Abbey Road - The Beatles

Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen

Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys

Is This It - The Strokes

(What's the Story) Morning Glory - Oasis

Jeramii

Banned
dustin said:
http://www.everythingathon.com/justice-cross-900.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]

i love the cross also. such a great album. but i think i just might like their new album audio video disco even more.

marrec

Banned
Brand New - Deja Entendu

fSVru.jpg

Counting Crows - August and Everything After

jcZou.jpg

The Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy

bXGyP.jpg

Not the choices everyone would make, but it ain't Bruno Mars.

Robot 492

Banned
YeVRf.jpg

In Rainbows by Radiohead
It's just ten tracks long, but everything fits - it doesn't feel too long or too short. There's not one bad song on the album and not one that I ever want to skip. It manages to feel fresh and yet is still somewhat reminiscent of their earlier work. I love Radiohead and almost everything they've done, but none of their other albums feel as perfect from beginning to end as In Rainbows. It's not my favorite album of theirs personally, but I think it best fits the qualifications in the OP.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
U2's Achtung Baby for me. The theme is that there is no theme. You can never put a finger on it, you won't figure it out. It's U2 saying, "what the fuck do you know about us?" You know shit.

Ok I'm being overly dramatic on purpose but damn this album is amazing. The Edge is a delight and masterful on this album. You can't touch this fuckin guy.

Edit: Props for putting In Rainbows up there, guy above me. I've always said as an entire album, it's their best.

GhaleonQ

It's not even my favorite album of this year, but Tim Hecker's Ravedeath, 1972 is so carefully considered that there's not a flaw in the thing. Phenomenal.

Big_Star_-1_Record.jpg

#1 Record - Big Star

220px-NickDrakePinkMoon.jpg

Pink Moon - Nick Drake

Skylarking - XTC
51v2A8JydLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Talk+Talk.jpg

Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

Tony+Rice+Unit+Backwaters.JPG

Backwaters - The Tony Rice Unit

51YOt%2BwCOQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Heroes - David Bowie

ATF487

StuBurns said:
Even the track Pet Sounds itself? It's like a wart on an otherwise perfect ass.

It's a nice, lighthearted jam in between two of their best songs ever. Not my favorite track but I'd never think of removing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom