• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 & 5 Dance famitsu info

ZeroX03

Banned
I fully disagree with people who say that it shouldn't be notes in opposite directions.

Going cross eyed because you have to stare in the direct center is extremely stupid. Even worse on a big screen, I assume. Superbeat was good in spite of that.

They don't all have to be going in different directions, but opposite is such a bad choice.

Guess Who

Banned
So in this thread I learn that not everybody hated the story in P4D, but apparently I was the only person who didn't hate the mechanics/beatmaps of the actual rhythm game.

Back when the game first came out I complained about how awful it was to play (in particular, how arrhythmic and awkward a lot of the beatmaps were) and I felt like everyone thought I was crazy. I feel redeemed.

So in this thread I learn that not everybody hated the story in P4D, but apparently I was the only person who didn't hate the mechanics/beatmaps of the actual rhythm game.

The mechanics were fine, but it was borderline unplayable on the highest difficulty due a combination of the shape/position of the Vita buttons being ill-suited to moving between them quickly, the touch controls being utterly useless, the note patterns being mostly unreadable due to how the icons look and the way everything flies out of the middle in such a way that you have to split your vision.

I get that they went with that style so you could have the dancing remain front and center, but P4D's presentation doesn't really work when you start throwing in very complex patterns, something that Samba De Amigo suffered from decades prior.

FluxWaveZ

Going cross eyed because you have to stare in the direct center is extremely stupid. Even worse on a big screen, I assume. Superbeat was good in spite of that.

They don't all have to be going in different directions, but opposite is such a bad choice.

It could be on tracks on both ends of the screen instead of the notes originating from the center of the screen but, honestly, I was completely fine with it.

wrowa

I'd argue that P4D is a rhythm game for people who don't like rhythm games. It's mechanics aren't terribly good in comparison to other games of the genre, but that was never its biggest draw anyway. It's all about the fan service of showing the P4 cast dancing to a super popular OST -- the beat maps not being good is something the casual player of rhythm games would be unlikely to even notice.

That's why I don't expect the new games to be drastically better. They'll focus on the presentation since that's what the fans care about and the rest will remain to be just "good enough".

I don't think P4D sold super well either (I think it moved like 120k units in Japan?), so selling the game in two versions is likely just a way to maximize revenue. They know the main audience for this type of game are hardcore Persona fans who'll buy both versions either way; no reason to bundle all songs in a single version. People might complain that content wise both games are kinda on the slim side, but then go on to buy both versions anyway. Me included.

(I'm only going to buy it if the Vita version is up to par, though. Not interested in playing this kind of game on PS4.)

bunkitz

The lack of a story mode is quite disappointing for me, but I suppose it's for the best. It would be quite ridiculous if the casts of these three Persona games all wound up having to dance their way to victory against some shadows.

I wonder if their mad dance skills will be considered canon, though. I firmly believe Minato's got sick dance moves.

I like everything else I'm hearing, though. I'm never hung up on FPS, but 60FPS on the PS4 is pretty dope.

I guess this also eliminates the "need" to get both versions, since we won't be missing any story. Only characters and songs... I'm still definitely getting both.

I enjoyed the story in Dancing All Night more than Persona 4 Ultimax and Arena. Also, I liked the mechanics of the rhythm game more than Hatsune Miku, DJ Max, or Amplitude. I haven't tried the others.

Top Bottom