• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Sequel Announced [Japanese arcade-only update for now]

Shito

Oh thanks, I actually overlooked that. I wonder why that was listed in the nerfs though.
Yeah, I suppose it's because of this:

If first hit connects while very close to the opponent, second hit will go through them.
... but even then, this screams a lot like "tricky Thanatos setups" to me!
I'm sure there are ways to make good use of this...

Meia

I checked, and she doesn't have a crucifix on her that I could see. Based on that, my theory is that
he possibly turned to religion after she died? Or perhaps it just reminds him of her?

The thingy going through her head always looked like one to me.

Meia

Sure, it is one, but he's not wearing that around his neck, haha!

Well, it might not be crazy that if she had one always around her face like that(like literally sticking out of one side), that the symbol would remind him of her.

...then again, it's Junpei, he may have just thought it looked cool. :p

FluxWaveZ

She looks pretty fun to me.

Shadow Fury mode or whatever is pretty cool too. Can you One-More Cancel while using it?

It's just Shadow mode (Shadow Fury is what the Shadows can do instead of Bursting). Shadows can do whatever the Normal versions can except for Burst and aside for some potential attack differences (such as Shadow Naoto having a different bullet gauge than her Normal counterpart).

It's strange that Shadow Kanji didn't start the first round with 100 SP in the first video. Wonder if that's some misinformation that's been going around.

It's strange that Shadow Kanji didn't start the first round with 100 SP in the first video. Wonder if that's some misinformation that's been going around.

If I had to guess, someone got 100sp in the first round, carried it over to round 2, and then the person that reported it only say the beginning of the second round and assumed that every round started with 100sp.

It's just Shadow mode (Shadow Fury is what the Shadows can do instead of Bursting). Shadows can do whatever the Normal versions can except for Burst and aside for some potential attack differences (such as Shadow Naoto having a different bullet gauge than her Normal counterpart).

I was referring to the part where the Kanji had like infinite meter in video 2 (is that called shadow fury?). Like, can you just do supers and EX moves or can you use the infinite meter for one-more cancels and slashbacks?

I believe Shadow characters can carry their meter from one round to the next.

FluxWaveZ

I was referring to the part where the Kanji had like infinite meter in video 2 (is that called shadow fury?). Like, can you just do supers and EX moves or can you use the infinite meter for one-more cancels and slashbacks?

I believe Shadow characters can carry their meter from one round to the next.

Oh, right. I'm pretty sure Shadow Fury just grants infinite use of meter for a brief period of time, so I would assume it could be used for anything.

On Dacidbro's stream yesterday, someone talked about Shadow Yosuke being able to link multiple EX Tentarafoos together for a lot of damage, for example.

Rhapsody

Banned
And regarding wakeups again. The fact that all have armor makes it substantially different than other games. While you could normally just jump straight into someone after you bait it out, you have worry about supers being rolled right behind them like with SLab or meter making it absolutely safe to throw it out.
You really don't have to worry about that on most of the cast. You can't safe jump Yukiko, Naoto, Teddie, or Kanji because of how their DP works. The rest you can safe jump fine including the super armor ones from Labrys and Shabrys. There's barely any that you need to worry about on super canceling their blocked DPs, but Shabrys isn't one of them. If you DP right before the axe makes contact, you don't have to worry about Asterius 5C or whatever. You can name me one in case I forgot, but I can't recall a safe one that doesn't rely on 100 meter. There's Akihiko and Chie's install supers though I guess.
Thanks. Been looking forward to Yukari footage.

FluxWaveZ

Eh, it didn't seem to last long enough for that to be worth it.

Perhaps not, but being able to cancel specials into specials as a Shadow character is still really interesting, Shadow Fury or not.

yukari kinda looks ass. Its too soon but nothing really stands out at the moment.

Whats her reversal?

Saying it's too soon to pass a judgement call concerning a character in a location test where no one's played as her before, where she's against a character everyone's familiar with and where the player might not be experienced with the game, is kind of an understatement.

Her Furious Action is called "Feather☆Slasher." Dunno what it does.

Perhaps not, but being able to cancel specials into specials as a Shadow character is still really interesting, Shadow Fury or not.

Saying it's too soon to pass a judgement call concerning a character in a location test where no one's played as her before, where she's against a character everyone's familiar with and where the player might not be experienced with the game, is kind of an understatement.

Her Furious Action is called "Feather☆Slasher." Dunno what it does.

I know its too soon, but you can judge a character based on the moves/special they have and form a first impression.
I have to see more but nothing impressed me move wise. I'm not talking about combos or anything, I'm speaking in terms of the actual move properties.

For instance, I never watched any p4a video when it came out, but once I watched a yukiko match I knew she had solid normals (5a and 5c), and solid screen control.

FluxWaveZ

I know its too soon, but you can judge a character based on the moves/special they have and form a first impression.
I have to see more but nothing impressed me move wise. I'm not talking about combos or anything, I'm speaking in terms of the actual move properties.

For instance, I never watched any p4a video when it came out, but once I watched a yukiko match I knew she had solid normals (5a and 5c), and solid screen control.

Well, based on just those videos where we barely saw anything out of Yukari except for spamming the same attacks over and over, I'd think she could control space at a distance better than any character in Persona 4 Arena yet. Her 5A is also supposedly faster than Yukiko's.

Sorian

Banned
I checked, and she doesn't have a crucifix on her that I could see. Based on that, my theory is that
he possibly turned to religion after she died? Or perhaps it just reminds him of her?

I'd imagine it's the second one in your spoiler. First one seems like too much of a stretch (though this is arena.....)

Shito

Well, based on just those videos where we barely saw anything out of Yukari except for spamming the same attacks over and over, I'd think she could control space at a distance better than any character in Persona 4 Arena yet.
I didn't really see that in those two videos and those two attacks. I wonder if Liz' laser destroy her arrows, like it does with other projectiles...
We really need to see more of her (like... her persona attacks) to judge about how well she can control space. And we need to see if there are any easy ways to escape those arrows (I imagine they are slow/big like that to make it so rolls can't evade them fully).

FluxWaveZ

I didn't really see that in those two videos and those two attacks. I wonder if Liz' laser destroy her arrows, like it does with other projectiles...
We really need to see more of her (like... her persona attacks) to judge about how well she can control space. And we need to see if there are any easy ways to escape those arrows (I imagine they are slow/big like that to make it so rolls can't evade them fully).

The startup of Yukari's arrows rival the fastest projectiles in the game, from the reports, so I think it's the speed plus distance of her specials that would make her a great zoner. But yeah, I agree we can't really speak in definites when we've barely seen anything she's capable of.

Scratch

Here's a Yukari vs Yu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYOAVwOR-ik

This one show's off her moveset a bit better

shows her autocombo too as well as yu's autocombo and his new command grab.

also yolo cross slash from full screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFll51E2gLg

Yu vs Kanji w/ maximum feinting lions

also a glimpse of gatotsu super

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t40r-BdSick

Yu vs Chie w/ maximum autocombo

also yu get a good view of his new super

Tusk

Oh, wow. This is awesome. None of my friends believed there'd be a sequel. I was like" How can there not be one? Did you see that hanger??"

I'm excited for this.

TWILT

Banned
Yu's new command grab seems interesting; nice to see you can combo in the corner with it. Another mix up option is nice.
His R.Lion B feint seems more useful than I thought as a movement option; seems easily air throwable though.
His new 5AAA seems cool. New Gatotsu super seems badass if a little weak.

Snakeyes

shows her autocombo too as well as yu's autocombo and his new command grab.

also yolo cross slash from full screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFll51E2gLg

Yu vs Kanji w/ maximum feinting lions

also a glimpse of gatotsu super

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t40r-BdSick

Yu vs Chie w/ maximum autocombo

also yu get a good view of his new super
134969781163.gif

Snakeyes

Looks like poor Izanagi's been reduced to a combo filler. I think they should've let Yu do sweep > 5D for 25 SP or something cause not seeing more than one 5D setup in those three vids is just sad.

His new moves seem pretty cool though.

FluxWaveZ

New notes by stunedge, translated on Dustloop:

some noticable points
- Chie has SB charge, which charge upto lv2 instantly, SB charge > SB godhand did 5700
- Chie's Yun's dash punch move works exactly same way it was in SF4
- Kanji's new persona move is persona sholder attack move which reaches from end to end and penetrates all projectiles
- Mitsuru's new AAA move is pretty damn good in terms pushing opponent about half-screen on block
- S.Lab has persona with her on wakeup right now. (aka you can do wake up punch super or wakeup some persona move), she can mash 2C(which was 8C in currently version) during block
- Liz 5D can catch freeze state opponent
- So many dash cancelable moves, almost everybody's 5C

shadow characters mainly differ in
- all their AAA combo are same as the current version whereas regular version characters have all newAAA moves
- some moves have special properties? not really sure
- they are pretty much same, but damage are nerfed by x0.8
- no burst and awakening

so if your character does not have high health and strong defensive option that can make you survive without burst, it might be useful
but I don't really see anybody would like to pick shadow Yukiko atm, but we will see how it rolls

Busaiku

Teddie's different item order for crouching would be amazing if we can get a confirmation for multiple items out at the same time.

Imagine Double Oil Drum, Double Heavy Armor Agni, DOUBLE AMAGIYA BUCKETS.
Or any combination.

Teddie's different item order for crouching would be amazing if we can get a confirmation for multiple items out at the same time.

Imagine Double Oil Drum, Double Heavy Armor Agni, DOUBLE AMAGIYA BUCKETS.
Or any combination.

Im more worried about Fog + buckets, or fog + oil drum.

edit
Or rage + buckets.

Shito

- Liz 5D can catch freeze state opponent
Wow wow wow.
Wow.
This is possibly quite huge, and I understand why they killed her j.B > j.A -- this would have led to ridiculous combos otherwise.
Now if 2C fear lasts long enough, you could probably end combos with 2C > 214A (I suspect the B version now launching two ice projectiles is to prevent using it in this case?) > 5D > wall bounce usual shenanigans.

Top Bottom