• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2016 (Oct 10 - Oct 16)

NeonZ

Paper Mario isn't going to die. Color Splash will get its 3ds and/or Switch port and it will sell as much as it needed to. I doubt they're changing the formula back anytime soon, though.

Games like Splatoon and Mario Kart certainly might sell more by getting ports with significant additions to a console with a higher userbase, but I don't see that happening with games that were basically bombs. That shows that there was something inherently lacking about their appeal. I can't see a higher userbase fixing that much.

Vena

Paper Mario isn't going to die. Color Splash will get its 3ds and/or Switch port and it will sell as much as it needed to. I doubt they're changing the formula back anytime soon, though.

I doubt that. Looking at the 3DS, what ports did it get? Successful titles or highly critically acclaimed titles.

Bombs? Nah. They were left on the WiiU.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 42, 2016 (Oct 17 - Oct 23)

01./00. [PS4] Battlefield 1 <ACT> (Electronic Arts)
02./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories <RPG> (Capcom)
03./00. [3DS] Mario Party: Star Rush <ETC> (Nintendo)
04./00. [PS4] NBA 2K17 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive)
05./07. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
06./08. [PS4] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
07./03. [PS4] Rise of the Tomb Raider <ADV> (Square Enix)
08./00. [PSV] RecoLove: Gold Beach <ADV> (Kadokawa)
09./12. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
10./14. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
11./04. [WiiU] Paper Mario: Color Splash <RPG> (Nintendo)
12./10. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo)
13./18. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo)
14./13. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
15./00. [PS3] NBA 2K17 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive)
16./00. [PSV] Macross &#916; Scramble (RunPika Sound Edition) <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
17./11. [PS4] FIFA 17 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
18./00. [PSV] RecoLove: Blue Ocean <ADV> (Kadokawa)
19./09. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
20./00. [PSV] Idol Death Game TV <ADV> (D3Publisher)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 42, 2016 (Oct 17 - Oct 23)

01./03. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
02./01. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
03./05. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./07. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
05./04. [PSV] World of Final Fantasy <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./02. [PS4] World of Final Fantasy <RPG> (Square Enix)
07./13. [PS4] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Legacy Edition) <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
08./09. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization <RPG> (Bandai Namco)
09./20. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization <RPG> (Bandai Namco)
10./16. [PS4] Mafia III <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 41, 2016 (Oct 10 - Oct 16)

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are only based on sales at Rakuten Books and does not count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is based purely on the demo and what I've seen from videos (and playing 20 hours of FFE) but I think World of Final Fantasy and FF Explorers both would have done better (and FFE did okay in Japan) if they had switched systems and budgets.

Aters

We just had Tomb Raider doing better than a Mario game in Japan. Now we are going to witness a Battlefield game doing better than a Mario game - on handheld no less.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel if thy were going to try this mid tier push they should have consoldated their efforts to 2 maybe 3 at most fully fleshed out games on platforms that still seem to these games well. Highly profitable mid tiers on consoles even in Japan seem to be starting to go the way of the dodo, and the lack of is even more notable there. The handheld market should have been where they focused that energy on.

RPG's are the 3DS and Vita's lifeblood, a "high budget" which would still be next to nothing in console terms would stand a decent chance at getting 1-2 million LTD. FE an utterly medicore series before this generation managed to do it and grow with it's sequel, BD had its budget kneecaped and did not. Low budget entries fired in a shatter shot will work well in a mobile space but not in a handheld or console space. The budget didn't need to be super high but up to par. There's a reason why BD was the only game to suceed in this approach.
Another part of the weight of Square Enix's legacy was that they were a huge global success despite making decidedly Japanese games, and it's hard to continue that legacy on a declining platform category.

I do agree with you that it would make more sense to focus on a smaller slate of products with bigger budgets, and then carefully tailoring those products to their target audience both in ways they do and don't expect, but that's pretty much true of the entire industry.

I also think both CEO's share the idea of making S-E being relevant in the AAA-space again (Matsuda of course giving Japan a bigger amount of projects, with XV at the center of it - and just like you said it needs to succeed and prove they can still compete). But, if we look at what people were saying about Eidos recently released projects, it feels Wada liked to spend a lot more on marketing and letting people know/talk about those games. We may say Deus Ex's sequel came out late, but there was lot of folks here on Gaf saying they didn't know it was already out (and look -> this is usually the people that is reading news and stuff). Perhaps the big focus on XV impacted on it, but, hell... Deus Ex should also mean a lot for S-E nowadays.

For the handheld/console/MMO discussion I don't think S-E is wrong in keep trying to develop big high-end single-player games, especially in Japan. There's still a viable market for those as we've seen and they keep increasing revenue year after year in the dedicated space. It's clear to see that titles like XV, DQXI, VII Remake are the ones we see people talking about and are *usually* most excited for, since they've got the whole potential and appeal that products like XIV and DQXI can't quite reach (they do generate great revenue and were well received, but as Wada said before: it works like a stable base of earnings for their big productions, since they take more time to be released). And handelhd games are going multiplat with smarphones, something that was expected to happen.

It's just unfortunate Japan's dedicated market became what it is today, and we are actually unsure if Switch will be able to change things for the better. I hope it does, but not close to DS level of greatness in any case. Now speaking about the futre of projects: let's not forget about Matsuda's ****brilliant**** "Law of 3 titles" :D

I feel that Wada saw Eidos as a way regain AAA relevance for Square Enix again and hoped that by Eidos would lead their Japanese teams to success by example and knowledge sharing.

Matsuda's approach seems more about handing off control to Square Enix Europe while asking them to keep a handle on the budget as much as possible. Tomb Raider was signed up for exclusivity, Hitman is a digital episodic series now, Just Cause 3 was extremely budget anemic, Square Enix Montreal was changed from a AAA studio into a mobile game studio, and Sleeping Dogs was dropped. Deus Ex was the only real exception (perhaps because Square Enix felt most comfortable with a AAA RPG?), and after how that went over, I imagine there will be some significant changes.

Which games? I don't think WoFF is solely aimed at their older base. Yes it has big appeal to them due to the references but the chibi art style, narrative and overall presentation tells me this is like a "my first FF": an entry into the FF universe for a younger audience.

When I think of SE trying to please their old fanbase I think of FF7R.

Yes, I feel that one in particular is just a very confused product that doesn't really match the new children's audience it's ostensibly targeting or the older audience they seemed to heavily skew the marketing to.

It also lacked the type of support for either approach. Children's games are generally followed with toys, anime/cartoon shows, lots of product crossovers with existing popular children's brands, and strong partnerships with companies who special in children's content. Major core games are generally pushed very heavily through both traditional channels (i.e. the IGNs and Polygons of the world) and influencers (YouTube stars, streamers), of which this wasn't really pushed anywhere but Jump and Famitsu, where they'd spend their time talking about classic FF character cameos instead of the cute monsters you're catching.

As for games I'd consider to be part of Square Enix Japan's renewed mid-tier approach this generation (which had a variety of success and failure, and not all were targeted to classic franchises):
- Star Ocean V
- Theatrhythm (Both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest)
- Dragon Quest Builders
- Final Fantasy Explorers
- Dragon Quest Heroes
- Dragon Quest Heroes 2
- I Am Setsuna
- Bravely Default
- Bravely Second
- World of Final Fantasy

Upcoming:
- Nier 2
- SaGa: Scarlet Grace

I'm excluding their eSports push which consists of games like Dissidia and Figureheads and their digital push with games like Chaos Rings 3 and Mana.

I also excluded the games before Matsuda took over like Lord of Apocalypse, Army Corps of Hell, and Drakengard 3.

Finally, I excluded continuations of already significantly successful mid-tier series like Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker or Fortune Street.

That said, if we brought these games in, I don't think they'd help Square Enix's case on the whole.

Now, there's probably an argument to be made that I'm being judgmental too early in this process, but I feel their series have generally either started well and declined, or done poorly from the start, and there's not much upcoming for me to point at and go "Oh yeah, that will definitely be a hit." To be completely honest, there's actually not that much upcoming to point at to begin with.

Hellraider

The reason Color Splash (presumably but pretty certainly) bombed is not the game, it's the platform. You also need to take in consideration that most probably the decision to also release it on another console would have to have been taken before its release.

The writing has been on the wall for the game for a very long time. Nintendo is not dumb to greenlight a game of a very successful series in these conditions without a master plan.

casiopao

We just had Tomb Raider doing better than a Mario game in Japan. Now we are going to witness a Battlefield game doing better than a Mario game - on handheld no less.

I would not bet against Mario Party though lol. I mean, we all know MP10 how it started and now where it ended lol.^_^

Sandfox

The reason Color Splash (presumably but pretty certainly) bombed is not the game, it's the platform. You also need to take in consideration that most probably the decision to also release it on another console would have to have been taken before its release.

The writing has been on the wall for the game for a very long time. Nintendo is not dumb to greenlight a game of a very successful series in these conditions without a master plan.

Blame has to go on the game as well because while it seems to actually be solid it's not what people wanted from the franchise and the reception it got starting from it's announcement reflects that.

casiopao

Blame has to go on the game as well because while it seems to actually be solid it's not what people wanted from the franchise and the reception it got starting from it's announcement reflects that.

The problem with this argument is that Sticker Star actually did really well in Japan and had great legs which mean the game had no or at least lesser backlash that should not cause the title to drop this bad.

Wii U is the poisonous pond that cause the sales drop so bad here.

udivision

The problem with this argument is that Sticker Star actually did really well in Japan and had great legs which mean the game had no or at least lesser backlash that should not cause the title to drop this bad.

Wii U is the poisonous pond that cause the sales drop so bad here.

The drop is just so pronounced though, and it did worse than a lot of other Wii U games that it had no business selling less than.

I want to wait to see how this turns out, perhaps its too early.

Either way, I hope this embarrassment comes as a rude awakening to IS though.

Eliseo

The drop is just so pronounced though, and it did worse than a lot of other Wii U games that it had no business selling less than.

You are joking right?

casiopao

Lol. Ur guys hate the game so much that it had been hard for you guys to accept how bad the Wii U is doing here.

I mean, what games does the Wii U got this year anyway? Almost nada. Not to mention how the Wii U had been facing stock problem for almost one full year. It is not strange to see how Wii U being so toxic to any game coming out.

And what thing does IS need to read here? Wii U is a bad platform? The game actually had damn good review too here. If they can further improve the formula for the upcoming Paper Mario series, i can see it do even better.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 42 2016

01./00. [PS4] Battlefield 1 <ACT> (Electronic Arts)
02./00. [3DS] Mario Party: Star Rush <ETC> (Nintendo)

03./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories <RPG> (Capcom)
04./00. [PSV] Macross &#916; Scramble (RunPika Sound Edition) <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
05./02. [PS4] Rise of the Tomb Raider <ADV> (Square Enix)
06./00. [PS4] NBA 2K17 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive)
07./00. [PSV] Macross &#916; Scramble <ACT> (Bandai Namco)

08./03. [WIU] Paper Mario: Color Splash <RPG> (Nintendo)
09./00. [PSV] RecoLove: Gold Beach <ADV> (Kadokawa)
10./04. [PSV] Kangokutou Mary-Skelter <RPG> (Compile Heart)
11./05. [PS4] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
12./00. [PSV] RecoLove: Blue Ocean <ADV> (Kadokawa)
13./00. [PSV] Idol Death Game TV <ADV> (D3Publisher)

14./06. [PS4] FIFA 17 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
15./11. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
16./09. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami)
17./13. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
18./10. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
19./12. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
20./16. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami)

udivision

IS doesn't need to make Paper Mario an RPG or whatever. That ship has sailed. It's pretty obvious that that's not what they want to do.

But I'd rather that, for the sake of every and anything that makes sense, the catalyst for them making some changes to the next Paper Mario (whatever those changes may be) have an actual reason.

We need to move past:
"Miyamoto randomly came in and flipped the table" or
"some Japanese players didn't like Super Paper Mario's story" or even
"it's too similar to the first too"... whatever kind of reasoning that is.

I wanna see what happens when neither critical reception nor sales support the direction of the series. Every PM before this has had one or the other backing it up.

It would be too easy to shrug and go "Wii U" and then head further down the path. Maybe that's what will happen, but I'd rather see something else. I want to see what happens when IS can't just rest and their laurels and are pushed into rethinking what they're doing here. It is rather exciting to think what their response could be to a substantial stimulus. If the conclusion they draw is just "release it on better selling hardware" than that would be rather unfortunate.

You are joking right?

No... I mean, that is a record setting debut for a franchise like this, in a bad way. If you had told me it would be easier to sell "sexy witch time fun" to Nintendo fans over Paper Mario, I would've laughed in your face. But that seems to be the case so far. I'm not even sure how the legs of PMCS will be.
On some levels, PM's debut so far must be embarrassing... that must isn't up for debate is it?

Or perhaps we just wait for NPD,

BriBri

Yokai Watch 3: Sukiyaki pre-orders are below 24 on the ever reliable COMG! and in more promising news zero (well, less than four) second hand copies of Monster Hunter Stories were sold for the week so people are presumably holding onto their copies.

I don't think IS cares that much. Yes it's not selling as much, but they have to have expected it since the Wii U hasn't had much in games relases. Well see, Paper Mario isn't going any where.

For some reason I feel Nintendo don't really breath down their necks as much as their other studios. They always seem to do their own thing most of the time. I'm honestly surprise Color Splash got an E rating.

I thought Idol Death Game TV look nice '-' Things are becoming rough for Vita software it seems. Can't see it making it very far in 2017 at this rate.

Also

We&#8217;re committed to bringing more Dragon Quest titles in the West as we believe it truly has potential to succeed even better. So watch this space.

casiopao

Yokai Watch 3: Sukiyaki pre-orders are below 24 on the ever reliable COMG! and in more promising news zero (well, less than four) second hand copies of Monster Hunter Stories were sold for the week so people are presumably holding onto their copies.

Guess, a little victory for MHS.^_^ And the anime had been quite good that i actually end up following the anime lol.(Better than Applimon at least lol.)

YW3: Sukiyaki is going for that super bomba status huh.

I thought Idol Death Game TV look nice '-' Things are becoming rough for Vita software it seems. Can't see it making it very far in 2017 at this rate.

Also

No one wants a game where their waifu will kill each other lol.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
IS doesn't need to make Paper Mario an RPG or whatever. That ship has sailed. It's pretty obvious that that's not what they want to do.

But I'd rather that, for the sake of every and anything that makes sense, the catalyst for them making some changes to the next Paper Mario (whatever those changes may be) have an actual reason.

We need to move past:
"Miyamoto randomly came in and flipped the table" or
"some Japanese players didn't like Super Paper Mario's story" or even
"it's too similar to the first too"... whatever kind of reasoning that is.

I wanna see what happens when neither critical reception nor sales support the direction of the series. Every PM before this has had one or the other backing it up.

It would be too easy to shrug and go "Wii U" and then head further down the path. Maybe that's what will happen, but I'd rather see something else. I want to see what happens when IS can't just rest and their laurels and are pushed into rethinking what they're doing here. It is rather exciting to think what their response could be to a substantial stimulus. If the conclusion they draw is just "release it on better selling hardware" than that would be rather unfortunate.

No... I mean, that is a record setting debut for a franchise like this, in a bad way. If you had told me it would be easier to sell "sexy witch time fun" to Nintendo fans over Paper Mario, I would've laughed in your face. But that seems to be the case so far. I'm not even sure how the legs of PMCS will be.
On some levels, PM's debut so far must be embarrassing... that must isn't up for debate is it?

Or perhaps we just wait for NPD,

Just out of curiosity, have you actually played the game? I'm not a fan of the battle system (and never played sticker star), but the game is quite a bit of fun and super charming imo. Plus it's the only holiday title for the Wii U, so there's a chance it'll have legs, especially in the West.

Takao

Banned

Idol Death is getting review bombed (a real shocker for a D3 release!), so that plus its limited pre-release promotion (how exactly do you play the game?) probably explains where it's at.

Macross Delta Scramble looks to be a series worst on handhelds, but the game really seems like a low effort all around. It's the first portable entry to lack multiplayer and half the game hasn't been released yet. Maybe people were afraid they were getting Extreme Vs. Force Vol. 2? To top it off, I don't get the sense Delta is as popular as Frontier was.

No idea what's up with Reco Love since 13k people bought the predecessor on sale on PSN over the summer. Maybe the pervs spent their last pay cheque on PSVR?

casiopao

Idol Death is getting review bombed (a real shocker for a D3 release!), so that plus its limited pre-release promotion (how exactly do you play the game?) probably explains where it's at.

Macross Delta Scramble looks to be a series worst on handhelds, but the game really seems like a low effort all around. It's the first portable entry to lack multiplayer and half the game hasn't been released yet. Maybe people were afraid they were getting Extreme Vs. Force Vol. 2? To top it off, I don't get the sense Delta is as popular as Frontier was.

No idea what's up with Reco Love since 13k people bought the predecessor on sale on PSN over the summer. Maybe the pervs spent this month's pay cheque on PSVR?

Umm isn't D3 kinda famous for many kusoge release there?O_O

And yeah. Delta is simply not as famous as Frontier here.(The fact that they reused many of the song in the anime kinda shows the problem here.T_T Not to forget the ending is kinda bad.)

Oregano

Nirolak: Bravely Default released in October 2012 and Wada resigned in March 2013. Matsuda had nothing to do with the original game.

Zolo

All I know is that it seemed like an idol game that took heavy inspiration from Danganronpa.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I remember during Wada's period that he encourage developing (or publising) games targeted to the West completely like Mindjack, dudebro Nier, Front Mission Evolved, Gun Loco, etc.

Matsuda on the other hand is pushing more b-tier Japanese titles or spinoffs.

I'd probably say that Matsuda's take on b-tier spinoffs might do them better in the longer run (so long as the games are well received) rather than Wada's b-tier Western-inspired spinoffs because they mostly fail to capture both markets, are heavily panned, and are made fun of, the only exception being dudebro Nier.

No one wants a game where their waifu will kill each other lol.

image.php

Aters

As much as an SE fanboy I have to google MindJack. Sounds like a steamy pile of shit. It might have the lowest metacritic score among all games published by SE.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
As much as an SE fanboy I have to google MindJack. Sounds like a steamy pile of shit. It might have the lowest metacritic score among all games published by SE.

It's lower than Unlimited Saga and FFXIV 1.0 lol.

Orgen

But none of them will beat the Mario titles LTD.

And I'm sure that 99% of the people wishing for the death of Paper Mario didn't play colour splash. What a shame.

casiopao

D3 is to low quality software as I am to Medarot.

Lol. At least...... u still got that Medarot girl thingy right. That i believe is top quality right...right???^_^

MindJack is one of the worst tps game i had ever played in PS3 lol.

It is the game which Jp devs made looking for that CoD or western market money. And damn many of them sucks.

Koei with their Quantum Theory
Konami with Never Dead
Bamco with Knights Contract
From Software Ninja Blade

Man there is soo many shitty games.T_T

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Page confirms there's no Switch or smartphone news.

Eeeeeh, I wonder if they'll announce it's coming on Switch too later. Of course it was going to be on 3DS at least, given the 2 millions forecast by March.

Like with any year there's just been ups and downs for this sort of niche software. I wouldn't say it says anything about Vita as a whole at this point in time.

While we've seen things like Demon Gaze bomb, we've seen something like Coven & Labyrinth of Refrain succeed. While Idol Death Game TV failed, Caligula did very well.

Plus, Vita's had its fair share of bigger success stories this year. Jikkyou did extremely well on the console; Dragon Quest Heroes 2 did much better than I was expecting and Ys VIII is a series high I believe, even without the PS4 version.

In the case of each of these games - I do find Macross Delta surprising since it's looking like it'll sell less than something like World Trigger did last year, but like Takao says it seems like a very incomplete product. Idol Death TV is the latest in a long line of 'spiritual successor-esque' games - i.e. stuff like Grand Kingdom & Exist Archive last year, and all of that bombed too. Only difference is Idol Death is an imitation of an IP which is already going and thriving on Vita (DanganRonpa).

Reco Love I'm a bit more confused about, but maybe consumers were just happy with their copies of Amagami and PhotoKano for now.

Only thing I would say about Vita software at this point in time is that if you are releasing a niche product without much buzz about it and without positive feedback, you're less likely to see moderate sales with it now than you were when the console launched. I bet if stuff like Sorcery Saga & Mind=0 launched in 2016 it would completely crater.

Top Bottom