• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden review thread: The Highest Reviewed Game of All Time and The Future?

Sophia

I'm used to the old one, but this scene is pretty bad with either voice, lol

Exactly. Without context they both sound pretty bad, and that's the same case when we all judged Persona 4 Arena pre release.

I'll be fine with the new voices, should I ever get P4G. It's better than what happened with BlazBlue with inconsistent voices.

Astra

Exactly. Without context they both sound pretty bad, and that's the same case when we all judged Persona 4 Arena pre release.

I'll be fine with the new voices, should I ever get P4G. It's better than what happened with BlazBlue with inconsistent voices.

I got used to Chie in the anime. Still don't particularly like her new VA, but I could be biased. It's not so bad in the anime, but in every P4G video I have watched with new Chie, she is really offensive to the ears.

Dantis

The Blazblue part is true, at least.

But I still thought she sounded awful in Arena. The only place she sounds okay is in the anime. I wonder if that has to do with whoever directed the dub though. Maybe Atlus' director just isn't as good, or is going for a different take on it.

Either way, I hate it.

Roto13

Continuum Shift Extend had that one guy speaking with his old voice, his new voice, AND his Japanese voice, depending on the scene and line. >_>

Teddie's new voice actor is similar enough to the old voice actor that I don't think people will care. The ones who even notice.

mollipen

I'm honestly kind of sick of reading all the crap from SMT purists who are upset the games have gone away from what they originally were. I get that these games are drifting away from what you originally appreciated in them, but that doesn't make the people who enjoy the newer games any LESS than you. Whatever justifications you have to tell yourself to feel that way aside, don't take it out on people who are receiving new games that they can enjoy!

If you like the direction Atlus is taking with the games–good for you. I love the current Persona series, outside of the occasional elements, or this fan service nonsense that the conspiracy theory part of me blames Index for.

But come on—long-time SMT fans have every right to not like the direction the games are heading in. As much as I love Persona 3 and 4, they're far removed from what Persona originally was, and I don't blame anybody who doesn't like the new direction. Franchises evolve, and it's okay if a game changes and that brings in new fans, but old fans are perfectly justified if they don't agree with changes made to a series they've been a fan of for a long, long time. In that, there's obviously going to be some bitterness toward those who are supporting the games that are getting the franchise away from what it was before.

And I have no problem saying this new bath scene stuff—at least, from what I've seen of it—is creepy and pandering and not what I want in my SMT games. There are plenty of other games filled with cheesecake nonsense for people who enjoy those kinds of games. I want less of that stuff creeping into my SMT, not more.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So I was just thinking "Maybe I should get the English version, so that I can play through it all in English!". So I started watching the new videos (As a side note, Yosuke and Teddie's team attack, whilst amazingly dumb looking, is hilarious. I hope the English one is as good), and I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zbeaieXYvxY

Holy gwack, the new Chie is bad. Like, REALLY bad. She also sounds way too much like Quark from VLR.
I can't unhear Quark now. Thanks a lot.

Venfayth

If you like the direction Atlus is taking with the games–good for you. I love the current Persona series, outside of the occasional elements, or this fan service nonsense that the conspiracy theory part of me blames Index for.

But come on—long-time SMT fans have every right to not like the direction the games are heading in. As much as I love Persona 3 and 4, they're far removed from what Persona originally was, and I don't blame anybody who doesn't like the new direction. Franchises evolve, and it's okay if a game changes and that brings in new fans, but old fans are perfectly justified if they don't agree with changes made to a series they've been a fan of for a long, long time.

And I have no problem saying this new bath scene stuff—at least, from what I've seen of it—is creepy and pandering and not what I want in my SMT games. There are plenty of other games filled with cheesecake nonsense for people who enjoy those kinds of games. I want less of that stuff creeping into my SMT, not more.

I don't take issue with people not liking the new games. I can clearly see the distinction between some of the new and old content. I don't have issues with people "liking what I don't like". There's just no excuse for trying to morally wedge yourself higher than anyone else for having different tastes. If you want to bitch about new content, that's fine, just leave fans out of it.

Dantis

I don't take issue with people not liking the new games. I can clearly see the distinction between some of the new and old content. I don't have issues with people "liking what I don't like". There's just no excuse for trying to morally wedge yourself higher than anyone else for having different tastes. If you want to bitch about new content, that's fine, just leave fans out of it.

I assume you're referring to Keichi. Ignore him, he was just trying to get a rise out of you.

Smile and move on.

I can't unhear Quark now. Thanks a lot.

If I ever get the English version I'll be constantly expecting her to say something like "No! You're lying, Mr Dio! I didn't do it!"

As a fan of the old and the new Persona, because aside from some tone changes and feature changes, I still see it as the same series as its always been, I do agree that old Megaten fans do bitch quite a bit, but so do new ones. There needs to be a balance and understanding, but frankly, we all know its the internet, so this wont happen.

Dantis

See, she sounds really bad in this scene, too. This is a girl who is obsessed with steak and kung fu movies and is constantly hopping around in battle. She has a lot of energy. She sounds like she's going through menopause.

*Sigh*

And she hops around in battle because she's imitating Bruce Lee.

She's enthusiastic, not hyperactive. They are very different things.

Sophia

My first experience was Persona 2, but frankly I couldn't care less if some of the old elements never return. I'm not fond of demon communication, and tarot cards to obtain Persona can go die in a fire. >_>;

I do hope that Persona 5 goes back to the darker and more epic style of Persona 2 and Persona 3. I don't mind it, but I'm tired of Persona 4's happy go lucky style.

See, she sounds really bad in this scene, too. This is a girl who is obsessed with steak and kung fu movies and is constantly hopping around in battle. She has a lot of energy. She sounds like she's going through menopause.

No she's obsessed with PUDDING! >.>

My first experience was Persona 2, but frankly I couldn't care less if some of the old elements never return. I'm not fond of demon communication, and tarot cards to obtain Persona can go die in a fire. >_>;

I do hope that Persona 5 goes back to the darker and more epic style of Persona 2 and Persona 3. I don't mind it, but I'm tired of Persona 4's happy go lucky style.

Ok so, I LOVED how silly demon negotiation was, but I did not like how it was tied to the tarot system, which sucks. I WOULD like it to return if they can make it less teddieous and more fun like it initially is.

Dantis

Yep, I want a change from P4 too. Also, no more Shihoko Hirata. All her songs are starting to sound way too similar.

And I really hate that Chie and steak have become a thing. It's mentioned, what, three times in the game? Hardly a defining characteristic.

She's both and sounds like she's neither.

Assuming the Japanese one is the 'proper' one, she never sounds hyperactive that I can remember. And if we're going by the US one, she's never hyperactive either. I have no idea where you'd get that idea from.

Yep, I want a change from P4 too. Also, no more Shihoko Hirata. All her songs are starting to sound way too similar.

And I really hate that Chie and steak have become a thing. It's mentioned, what, three times in the game? Hardly a defining characteristic.

See, that is an effect of a funny character trait becoming popular with fans, such as Adachi's cabbage, and Naoto's supposed boob size, and then they go and overdo them and flanderize them in subsequent releases like Arena, the anime, and Golden. She mentions steak 2/3 times in the game, Adachi mentions Cabbage once, Rise is shocked at Naoto's bust once in the entire game, and now she is all steaksteaksteak in Arena, Adachi mentions cabbage way more in the animu and in golden, and Naoto is now a boob monster for no reason. Don't get me wrong, I still like Arena and the anime wasn't that bad, but yea.

Dantis

See, that is an effect of a funny character trait becoming popular with fans, such as Adachi's cabbage, and Naoto's supposed boob size, and then they go and overdo them and flanderize them in subsequent releases like Arena, the anime, and Golden. She mentions steak 2/3 times in the game, Adachi mentions Cabbage once, Rise is shocked at Naoto's bust once in the entire game, and now she is all steaksteaksteak in Arena, Adachi mentions cabbage way more in the animu and in golden, and Naoto is now a boob monster for no reason. Don't get me Wrong, I still like Arena and the anime wasn't that bad, but yea.

Yup. Exactly.

Astra

Pudding.gif

Meee too. :}

Dantis

There is nothing wrong with pandering and fan-service.

For me, it depends on what the fan service is for. In DOA5? Sure, pile it on! Silly costumes all around!

In Persona, where it's these characters who I value for their personalities, and their friendships with one and other? Pass. Stay away, please. Naoto wouldn't wear that silly costume, the guys wouldn't peep on the girls, and if they did, the girls would do more than just get mad. That shit is downright illegal.

Uthred

As others mentioned above I'd prefer it if P5 went back to the darker worlds of P2 & P3, I felt that a lot of the stuff in P2 was conceptually more interesting but wasnt presented/realised as well as the stuff in P3 (I also think P2 was a little too, zany, perhaps? at times). I could probably live without demon bargaining (I feel leaving it out helps differentiate the the Persona offshoot from the mainline SMT stuff).

However as P4 has been by far the most successful implementation of the franchise to date (its ownoffshoot game, anime, etc) its probably going to form the template/exert a strong influence on P5

In Persona, where it's these characters who I value for their personalities, and their friendships with one and other? Pass. Stay away, please. Naoto wouldn't wear that silly costume, the guys wouldn't peep on the girls, and if they did, the girls would do more than just get mad. That shit is downright illegal.

I can see (but disagree) with your viewpoint here when it comes to story events such as the batch scene i.e. things which explicitly occur within the narrative. But for stuff that only applied is dungeons e.g. the costumes it seemed that this stuff isnt part of the games narrative, its just there for the players to enjoy/condem/ignore. In some ways stuff like the guys peeping falls into this as well, it isnt so much a reflection of the characters actual character but is included because its a fun trope thats usually included in this kind of thing

sensui-tomo

as much as i liked chie's original voice... it had the same problem that serena from sailor moon had in that old dub. The voice sounded older than the actual character's age. If new chie sounds familiar to you, she was that waitress in catherine and that chick with the fro, also was nazz and someone else in Ed,Edd, and eddy. surprised you people arent as mad about teddy's voice (going from the guy who dubbed kakashi in naruto to... the sound ninja guy who was defeated by shino in naruto )

-GJ-

Been playing P4 for a while now with a friend on his old PS2. Can't wait to finally get the Vita version!

Dantis

Thought I saw it confirmed in another thread you can turn off just voices, presumably thats incorrect?

Hmm... Maybe it's not. I thought you couldn't, but I wasn't looking for the feature, so it's very possible that I missed it.

Never mind then.

EDIT: I guess that's that then. My bad.

Astra

Prefer old school Chie by a long green mile.
The new Chie is offensive to my ears.

You're a good person, and should feel good.

I wonder if the voice actress that does Chie is new to voice acting? She's not really bad, but she sounds kind of amateurish. Of course, that could be voice directing, but everybody else sounds fine. For example, in the video that Sophia linked, it seems like she is trying TOO hard to sound like a teenage girl.

Don't like new Chie. Don't really remember old Chie that much, but listening to clips prefer the old one. And more clips of the new one and I just don't like her. Oh well, I hope once I'm in the flow of the game it will just become her voice rather than sticking out.

Same with new Teddie, but from what very little I have heard I like the new voice better comparatively.

Top Bottom