• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden (Vita) -- E3 2012 Trailer

zlatko

Banned
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/0...e-new-english-voices-for-teddie-and-chie-too/

IivTE.gif
IivTE.gif

Terrible news. Dual audio though right? The Japanese voices are good to me, so I'll stick with that most likely.

ultron87

That kind of sucks. I won't instantly declare the new voices terrible though even if they give a different feel to the character.

Terrible news. Dual audio though right? The Japanese voices are good to me, so I'll stick with that most likely.

They haven't announced anything about Golden being dual audio. They've only said that for Arena. Since there is way more voice work in a full length RPG I'd be very surprised if they did it for Golden.

kewlmyc

P4:Arena has dual audio.

That's Arc Works System. Golden is an inhouse Atlus game, so only one audio track. It makes sense since it's a localization, not a translation. The text wouldn't actually match up with the Japanese audio.

I'm sure that the voices will be fine. They'll take some getting used to, but they won't be horrible like some people are saying.

“Yes,” he replied. “That said, it’s important fans don’t base their impressions on the [Persona 4: Arena] tutorial video.”
Because Teddie's new voice is complete garbage and even Atlus know that?

I just don't get Atlus, they are normally on top form with localisation but they have really dropped the ball with this one. I understand not getting Tracey Rooney back and her replacement seems pretty good (going by the P4A trailer), but failing to secure Dave Wittenburg, not even trying to find a tolerable (let alone decent) VA to replace him and constantly dodging the issue rather than coming out and setting the record straight early is pathetic.

This game has rapidly gone from the sole reason I purchased a Vita to something I'm seriously considering passing on because of how poorly Atlus has dealt with it. I can't be the only person who would have rather had P4G delayed until next year if it meant either getting Teddie's VA back or finding a good replacement for him.

Tamanon

Banned
I like the new All In graphics. Hope there are several different ones depending on the makeup. BROS 4 LYFE!

Chavelo

I just don't get Atlus, they are normally on top form with localisation but they have really dropped the ball with this one. I understand not getting Tracey Rooney back and her replacement seems pretty good (going by the P4A trailer), but failing to secure Dave Wittenburg, not even trying to find a tolerable (let alone decent) VA to replace him and constantly dodging the issue rather than coming out and setting the record straight early is pathetic.

This game has rapidly gone from the sole reason I purchased a Vita to something I'm seriously considering passing on because of how poorly Atlus has dealt with it. I can't be the only person who would have rather had P4G delayed until next year if it meant either getting Teddie's VA back or finding a good replacement for him.

Yeah....

I rather for the game to come out soon.

Trigger

Isn't that a bit hyperbolic? I'll miss the original actor, but skipping the whole game? I'm sure Atlus is doing their best with the situation.

Clott

This is still the reason I am getting a Vita, and the sequel to 999, I am sure something else will come along that makes the purchase more worth it, but I can't wait to get lost with Peraona 4 again.

Something extremely cozy about the whole game, anyone else feel the same?

NichM

Banned

No, because the tutorial video didn't show anything near what the new VA can and has pulled off as Teddie. The in-game performance is anything but garbage, which I'm confident people will see once more of it is revealed.

What I think a lot of it is is just it being a deviation from the established voice, and I can understand that. But I don't think it's a performance quality issue at all. I was talking to one of the P4 Arena testers yesterday who hadn't played the original; he said he was going through it now on PS2, and he prefers the new Teddie over the old. I don't think that would be the case if one was decidedly better than the other.

pantsmith

Something extremely cozy about the whole game, anyone else feel the same?

I have no idea why but I feel the exact same way.

I guess it's like getting the whole band back together for a reunion tour- and the band never made another record, so its just more of what you fell in love with in the first place lovingly remixed.

notworksafe

Probably because the people that are actually working on the game and dealing with it daily have heard more than the scant few minutes of voice clips you've heard from a trailer.

Nah...that can't be it. You must know far more than them.

OMG Aero

“Yes,” he replied. “That said, it’s important fans don’t base their impressions on the [Persona 4: Arena] tutorial video.”
Hey Atlus, if you want people to do that then maybe you should release videos with actual Teddie dialog instead of short clips like the tutorial video and E3 trailer. Just sayin'.

Volcynika

Of course it does but Atlus is very stringent about their localization excellence. They would do anything to keep their integrity. Well everything but employing good VAs and 2003 niche DVD feature parity.

They've been hiring good VAs for a while. Guess you missed all those games they've released the past few years.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Crazy to me that there is so much vita on the floor but it was nearly absent at the conference.

That said, E3 is actually looking pretty good for the Vita post conference.

Trigger

I have no idea why but I feel the exact same way.

I guess it's like getting the whole band back together for a reunion tour- and the band never made another record, so its just more of what you fell in love with in the first place lovingly remixed.

lol, I dig this analogy.

No, because the tutorial video didn't show anything near what the new VA can and has pulled off as Teddie. The in-game performance is anything but garbage, which I'm confident people will see once more of it is revealed.

What I think a lot of it is is just it being a deviation from the established voice, and I can understand that. But I don't think it's a performance quality issue at all. I was talking to one of the P4 Arena testers yesterday who hadn't played the original; he said he was going through it now on PS2, and he prefers the new Teddie over the old. I don't think that would be the case if one was decidedly better than the other.

That's interesting.

There are plenty of people out there that never played P4 on the PS2 and possibly only know the game through the context of the anime and thus, don't have the preconception that many of us PS2 players do.

As for P4G, well, it'd be odd to have the new voices suddenly pop up inconsistently.

I don't disagree, one of the key points of P4 was that the script and voice acting was so strong that it made you connect with the characters, after 100 hours that voice becomes part of the character - particularly since Teddie was my favourite. The problem is that the clips we've heard until now deviate so wildly from the original Teddie that it is really jarring, it almost sounds like Yuri Lowenthall with a squeaky voice.

Hey Atlus, if you want people to do that then maybe you should release videos with actual Teddie dialog instead of short clips like the tutorial video and E3 trailer. Just sayin'.
Precisely. When all the dialogue we have to go by is terrible, and no formal comment about the situation is being issued (until now) that is what we have to judge and discuss. If we all held back from discussing products until enough information is available GAF would have a lot of tumbleweed gathering.

kadotsu

Banned
They've been hiring good VAs for a while. Guess you missed all those games they've released the past few years.

I'm fully aware that I'm incredibly hyperbolic when it comes to Atlus and dual audio. Compared to their competition they are best in class. Unfortunately their competition are companies like Aksys, N1USA and the US anime market. I have never enjoyed their dubs of games. I actually did not buy Catherine because of the dub (it was more of a final straw thing). I think it's more of a voice direction than an actor problem, because I've loved some of the actors in other games and I'm fine with other localizations of Japanese games (Nier).
I think my preference for original audio is largely nostalgia from the anime boom days in addition to recognizing the original voice actors from other works. I try to vote with my money whenever I can. I bought the Japanese audio/English subtitle version of FFXIII and XIII-2 at a slightly higher price. I don't have that luxury with Atlus games unfortunately because they have, obviously, the monopoly on their own games.
So all I can do is bitch and bitch and bitch so that maybe, one day Atlus will either be big enough to add a dual language option for their most successful games as an additional service. I'm not holding my breath however.

Lowenthall was an easy replacement.....since he's already there. It's just that his Teddie is basically Yosuke constantly shreaking..

which is bad.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, imagine if all you guys heard before the original Chie debuted was "My trial of the dragon" and "Aha! Is this our chance?"

In fact, I remember some of the dub lines on the original P4 site were pretty crappy.

Top Bottom