• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden (Vita) -- E3 2012 Trailer

Fixed.
I mean, I know the series had his share of dumb characters, but all these fucking robots are just stupid.
Aegis was okay, she was subtle enough...but now we have giant-axe wielding robot, transformer robot and warmachine aegis...what the hell.
What's next? A robot inside a robotic talking dog costume? I fear for the new persona's character designs.

Also: In the light novel Naoto has a new persona, for some reason.
Is it a giant pair of breasts?

It's a myth/urban legend, and it's the subject of an upcoming episode of Pop Fiction. Been holding off on the episode so that I could see what the deal was with it being in the re-release. Obviously going to check it out myself, but was eager to know if anyone stumbled across it yet.

Google reveals:

spoilers maybe? i don't really think so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_2JN-qPD5Y

Apparently it's some weird blinking eye that shows up on Yosuke's personas status screen.
Better safe than sorry though.

Thats actually my video. I never figured out what was up with the eye, I just noticed it randomly as I played. Made a topic on gamefaqs about it but no one knew what it was about. Asked about it on the atlus forums but they didnt know either.
I still have the save file, maybe I can get it to you somehow?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
2,5 hours in and I lovei t so far. Graphics look a bit dated, but all the 2D stuff like UI, character portraits etc. looks great and crisp on the Vita screen.
I kind of regret watching about half of the Persona 4 anime, because nothing in the game will surprise me for a while...

Kazzy

Fixed.
I mean, I know the series had his share of dumb characters, but all these fucking robots are just stupid.
Aegis was okay, she was subtle enough...but now we have giant-axe wielding robot, transformer robot and warmachine aegis...what the hell.
What's next? A robot inside a robotic talking dog costume? I fear for the new persona's character designs.

I like Aegis, but even she was conspicuous in the world, but everyone seemed to like the character so it just tends to get hand-waved.

Is the Persona 3 anime canon? Who knows any more.

Hint:
In the Persona 3 anime, adults can't use Persona. Whoops.

I wouldn't even consider it Persona 3,
although it was pretty boring for large stretches too.

Naoto, *sigh*. I was aware of her new design from the other thread, but looking at the details of the novel in here just makes me sad. I felt like the games managed to invoke a lot of well worn anime tropes without it feeling contrived, mainly because of the strength of the characterization, but this is a bridge too far. Way to render one of you more interesting characters utterly generic, Atlus.

And a minor spoiler question, it's something I may have missed...

Did they redraw Adachi's evil portrait? I know it's pretty much part of the fandom at this point, but I always thought it was completely goofy and felt rushed. I remember reading that the Persona team thought that his appearance was not keeping in line with the character he eventually became (the murderer), and so his profile was a little jarring. I wouldn't expect them to redesign the character, but that minor alteration would be appreciated.

kewlmyc

Naoto, *sigh*. I was aware of her new design from the other thread, but looking at the details of the novel in here just makes me sad. I felt like the games managed to invoke a lot of well worn anime tropes without it feeling contrived, mainly because of the strength of the characterization, but this is a bridge too far. Way to render one of you more interesting characters utterly generic, Atlus.
But cute, generic "moe" is what is currently popular in Japan. This was inevitable. Sad but true.

CrazyDude

Fixed.

Yes, because shadow monsters and things like personas are so realistic.

CrazyDude

Huh? Who's even talking about realism here?

Then I don't what the problem with robots are. Why are they anymore stupid than a talking empty bear costume that turns into a real person?

Wait, they changed Naotos design? Is there a screen shot or character portrait online?
Not for the game, but a book that takes place a year later.

PxD_Cover.jpg

Herla

Then I don't what the problem with robots are. Why are they anymore stupid than a talking empty bear costume that turns into a real person?

Because Teddie is part of "the other world" (be it the TV world, Tartarus, Amala or whatever), where crazy shit is expected in the series. Koromaru would've been a better example, but it's not like he started talking.

The new robots are just stupid designs. The first thing you see in Labrys is not the character, but the stupid huge cyber axe. And the dude that turns into a motorcycle is just something you would find in some kind of fanfiction.
Seriously, it's a dude that turns into a motorcycle. You really don't find anything wrong with it?

Also Aegis worked because she was one of a kind. Introducing robot after robot is just...lazy. Boring.

Kazzy

Yes, because shadow monsters and things like personas are so realistic.

I don't think that's the argument, at least from me. Even if the presence of otherworldly beings and supernatural elements were included from the offset, antonymous robots were not. It seemed to be a contradiction of the world's own internal logic, because everything else that was slightly removed from reality was down to those aforementioned aspects. The introduction of Aegis seemed abrupt, and didn't really fit with the rest of those themes.

Yes, I'm aware that the Tartarus originated from man-made experiments, but the shadows did not. But I seem to remember that a similar case was made in one of the art-books for P3

As much as I argue the point, characters like Komaru completely undermine me,
lol

Because Teddie is part of "the other world" (be it the TV world, Tartarus, Amala or whatever), where crazy shit is expected in the series. Koromaru would've been a better example, but it's not like he started talking.

The new robots are just stupid designs. The first thing you see in Labrys is not the character, but the stupid huge cyber axe. And the dude that turns into a motorcycle is just something you would find in some kind of fanfiction.
Seriously, it's a dude that turns into a motorcycle. You really don't find anything wrong with it?

Also Aegis worked because she was one of a kind. Introducing robot after robot is just...lazy. Boring.

Next you will tell me that we fight a giant mouse robot with hilariously cheesy music, or taking on a trenchcoat and aviator shades wearing shit eating grin hitler wielding the spear that killed Jesus, or that a giant moaning woman with bj on her boobs is a boss or how we now take scooters into the tv and fight enemies while still on the scooters!

Herla

Next you will tell me that we fight a giant mouse robot with hilariously cheesy music, or taking on a trenchcoat and aviator shades wearing shit eating grin hitler wielding the spear that killed Jesus, or that a giant moaning woman with bj on her boobs is a boss or how we now take scooters into the tv and fight enemies while still on the scooters!

The scooters ARE dumb, but I take them as extras the same as the sentai costumes (though I wonder how they are introduced, it's not like they ever needed a method of trasportation), the rest is all part of "the other world" like I said.

If the world's rule is that every rumor is reality how can I object Hitler with sunglasses appearing? Teen-robot turning into a motorcycle is something created with the intent of being serious. If you told me motorcycle-man was the boss of Naoto's dungeon I wouldn't have cared, hell it even fits with the "cheesy sci-fi" stuff she's into.

Wow what happened to Naoto, you'd think that she'd be over insecurities by now so this seems like... uh, I don't know the term for it.

I don't like it though, makes me feel funny.

The scooters ARE dumb, but I take them as extras the same as the sentai costumes (though I wonder how they are introduced, it's not like they ever needed a method of trasportation), the rest is all part of "the other world" like I said.

If the world's rule is that every rumor is reality how can I object Hitler with sunglasses appearing? Teen-robot turning into a motorcycle is something created with the intent of being serious. If you told me motorcycle-man was the boss of Naoto's dungeon I wouldn't have cared, hell it even fits with the "cheesy sci-fi" stuff she's into.

How the scooters are introduced:

They have added a new area (possibly areas) that you can go to for quests, shopping, etc. Yosuke comes up with the idea to get scooters and licenses to impress girls and get a girlfriend for the summer, but his scooter befalls a certain hilarious fate. There has been nothing lame or whacky about the scooters yet (20 hours in) and they fit right into the game -- but I haven't gotten to the point where I can use them in battle yet, and none of the other characters have them.

Wow what happened to Naoto, you'd think that she'd be over insecurities by now so this seems like... uh, I don't know the term for it.

I don't like it though, makes me feel funny.

Otaku can't have an police-procedure experienced, revolver-toting,
god-whoopin'
, super-genius GIRL not have inelegant crippling self-esteem achilles heels.

Oh wow, I sound like a white knight there from those other threads. Oh well, here, and to this extent, I feel it is right.

GorillaJu

The new shuffle time system makes things really easy. One of hte more common rewards is a permanent +1 to your persona's stat, and another just outright levels up your equipped persona one level. With skill cards, and this system in place, you can pretty much stick with one favorite persona for a long time if you wish, instead of constantly recycling everything you have in fusions to gain a level advantage.

My Izanagi is higher level than I am and has a luck stat of like 38 now. I crit soooo much with Slash.

Does anyone know if Mari can become a lover? Or is she like "dating" Elizabeth in P3Fes, where it's not actually related/consequential to your choice of social link lover?

I've picked Rise, Yukiko and Chie once each, would like to choose Naoto this time but if Mari is a potential lover than I've got to go down that route as she's new and this game cost me 6000 fucking yen, so I gotta witness the full extent of the new content :p

The new shuffle time system makes things really easy. One of hte more common rewards is a permanent +1 to your persona's stat, and another just outright levels up your equipped persona one level. With skill cards, and this system in place, you can pretty much stick with one favorite persona for a long time if you wish, instead of constantly recycling everything you have in fusions to gain a level advantage.

My Izanagi is higher level than I am and has a luck stat of like 38 now. I crit soooo much with Slash.

Does anyone know if Mari can become a lover? Or is she like "dating" Elizabeth in P3Fes, where it's not actually related/consequential to your choice of social link lover?

I've picked Rise, Yukiko and Chie once each, would like to choose Naoto this time but if Mari is a potential lover than I've got to go down that route as she's new and this game cost me 6000 fucking yen, so I gotta witness the full extent of the new content :p

Oh gosh I'm going to love this game so much :3

Torraz

Thanks for the input. Definitely getting a vita next week. Not sure whether to import P4: golden, get it in japan as a souvenir in july~ish or to get the PSN version next week...

If you have the PSN version, how large is the filesize?

.JayZii

Banned
I like Naoto's look on the cover of the light novel, those nudey shots however, not so much. Are there any pictures of her new persona in full? I always like to see the art of persona.

EDIT: I looked into it and found a scan that said Naoto's new persona is Amatsu-Mikaboshi. One of the names Mikaboshi goes by in Japanese mythology is apparently translated as "Brilliant Male". Look forward to more gender issues.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's a light novel and I wouldn't growing hair out to be radical.

How about the images that so far seem to turn her into a boring moe fanservice character?

Maybe the novel will be different, who knows. Just judging based on the info given in this thread.

CrazyDude

How about the images that so far seem to turn her into a boring moe fanservice character?

Nothing about the new design looks moe. What makes her design "cute? "What part of thee new design makes you want to protect her and comfort her? Do you guys even know what moe means?

This is moe:

sparkle-7.jpg

ultron87

Maybe the novel will be different, who knows. Just judging based on the info given in this thread.

I'm pretty sure moe isn't the word you're looking for in this case.

Are we forgetting the various fan-servicey situations that Naoto is placed in and then becomes embarrassed about in Persona 4?

Duffyside

Banned
Ok, I haven't seen any images other than that cover and one more. It seemed like people were just saying "She now has long hair and I can tell she actually has a bust WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO NAOTO!?!?!"

Duffyside

Banned
Schoolgirl uniform clutching the skirt and looking embarrassed while blushing is pretty classic moe man:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/33855/2237456-hQRh8.jpg

I'm just judging by the images posted here. Also as far as I can remember the only fanservicey part in P4 was the bathhouse scene as far as naoto goes.

Also short hair is better than long hair, goddamnit. :<

Meh, from what I know of Naoto's character, she being uncomfortable wearing her girl's uniform would make sense, and from where the story left off it would also make sense that she would give wearing it a try.

I can certainly see the potential of "moe," or whatever, that you guys are worried about, but I can't jump to that conclusion yet. From what I can tell, the story will be "Naoto starts the school year off trying to embrace her "girlishness," but after a week she's had enough of that nonsense and puts on her pants and jacket again and finds the perfect balance that's just right for her yay let's solve a case double-yay!"

Edit: And all of this yapping about Naoto's design is detracting from the real issue; Arena's turning Chie into some chibi-loli-whatever. BLECH.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What are you talking about, how long have you been watching anime for? It's classic anime in general. Also, nothing in that image you linked looks remotely close to 'moe'

I've been reading manga since I was 5, if for some weird reason you need my credentials. Also moe is classic anime so I don't really understand what you're getting at. Schoolgirl uniforms are not in general moe but the attitude in that's in that picture definitely is!

Top Bottom