• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 delayed to April 4, JP voices available as free DLC at launch

When will Persona 5 actually be released in the west?

Results are only viewable after voting.

trejo

I can't speak for other countries but over here dubs being mainly for kid's films and such is totally a thing. Anything meant to be for older audiences is expected to be watched subtitled as that is the preferred method. As a matter of fact, I remember back when I was a kid it was considered a bragging right among friends and schoolmates when we were finally able to follow along with the subtitles in movies once we learned how to read.

So I don't know, as someone who is used to and has always been able to take anything in no problem while reading subtitles all the "too lazy to read" complaints seem like nonsense to me.

I still find it hard to believe hard to this day that you don't see a lot of the things you say as condescending.

None of the things he's posted thus far strike me as condescending though? In other countries dubs are considered as something meant for kids to be able to follow along while adults prefer watching subs. That's a statement of fact. How is it condescending, exactly?

Uthred

Glad to see dual audio, on the other hand, while I will buy this day one and likely enjoy it a lot my interest/hype is at zero. The delays in tandem with Atlus constantly pushing a game they constantly delayed have conspired to nullify all excitement about the game.

Sou Da

Erm, what's the problem here?
I was answering the question posed in the post I was replying to.

I also don't see what's surprising or offensive about my statement. It is a fact that "in many countries (those which don't have widely-spoken languages), dubs are something only done for children's media."
And that in those countries the standard expectation is for adults to read subtitles.

I mean, I obviously didn't just make this up, everyone who lives in such a country can confirm it. At least one person did so in this thread, actually.

I still find it hard to believe hard to this day that you don't see a lot of the things you say as condescending.

I genuinely wonder how they will handle the localization effort this time around, as from what I've heard, P5 is a different beast than past games in multiple ways.

The Broken Japanese/English conversations, the additional dubbing of originally ubdubbed lines, the inclusion of dual audio...

One has to wonder how they will handle it all.

Will the Japanese voice track also have newly recorded lines to match the content of the English Dub? Will they translate lines differently than in the past so they work with both tracks? What can they possibly do about the sections where characters use broken English/Japanese?

So many questions...

MisterMac

Since I feel that this is at least partially referencing what I said in the last thread, I’ll say it again: derailing every thread on this forum about this game and belittling people who just wanted to talk about the game itself did not get you what you wanted, and effort would have been much better spent contacting the company directly. What has been happening here is much different from what you’ve referred to as reasonable requests. Being right or having a reasonable request doesn’t mean you get to act however you want on this forum.

And yes, I’m aware that many of the people on the other “side” have been just as disrespectful and the above applies to them just as much.

I truthfully didn't read your comment, this was just based on the behavior of people I saw everywhere on the internet whenever someone asked for dual audio.

As for thread derailing, IMO bringing up a feature you want in the game in a thread about the game counts as discussing the game. And maybe I am biased but I saw way more derailing coming from those who couldn't control themselves and went into tirades about how everyone who ever mentioned wanting dual audio was a "weeb" or should "go play the import" or inventing reasons why listening to the Japanese voice track was objectively bad.

And finally IMO wherever conversation about this game took place dual audio coming up clearly expressed how much a portion of potential players wanted the feature.

barybll

Banned

I also don't see what's surprising or offensive about my statement. It is a fact that "in many countries (those which don't have widely-spoken languages), dubs are something only done for children's media."
And that in those countries the standard expectation is for adults to read subtitles.

I mean, I obviously didn't just make this up, everyone who lives in such a country can confirm it. At least one person did so in this thread, actually.

Can confirm.
Even if there are T-rated movies that are dubbed, the dub sessions are usually populated with kids and their parents.

Absolutely fucking savage tweet by the official Tales twitter acct.

https://twitter.com/TalesofU/status/799285139624886277

Shots fired

mrmickfran

Come on Namco, that ain't right

Ya'll better than that

LOL And they try to play it off afterwards:
TYKB6C4.png

Gbraga

Yep, can confirm too.

What a disappointment
LLShC.gif

Looks like my prediction is coming true, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions (Wii U GOTY 2016) might end up being the better game in the end as I don't believe it suffered these constant delays like Persona 5, it was smooth sailing until release for TMS #FE.

Multiple delays are never a good sign.

Guessing this is sarcasm. It has to be.

kewlmyc

lol, that's exactly what I was planning on doing actually.
Bandai Namco would probably prefer not having Berseria squished in between Persona 5 and FFXV anyway.

Which doesn't make any sense considering they're putting it up against another of their own JRPGs with Digimon New Order.

Personally, I find my immersion is strengthened by being able to understand the emotional cues and emphases of the characters, though - isn't that a factor for you?

I see people counter with this quite often, but I find it a bit baffling. I've been watching subbed anime for about a decade so I find it extremely easy to understand the emotions, cadence, tone, subtleties they're trying to convey despite it not being a language I understand. We are capable of learning and adapting, you know. I think your point only holds weight if you're someone who has had minimal, or no exposure to Japanese VO. It's different than English, but it's not as if basic human emotions are drastically different in tone, and delivery just because they're speaking Japanese (or any language). Unless you have an inherent inability to pick up on vocal cues, or body language then it's a non-issue.

Just realized my foreseeable consoles purchases are all JRPGs. Not a bad time to be into the genre.

Skinpop

I see people counter with this quite often, but I find it a bit baffling. I've been watching subbed anime for about a decade so I find it extremely easy to understand the emotions, cadence, tone, subtleties they're trying to convey despite it not being a language I understand. We are capable of learning and adapting, you know. I think your point only holds weight if you're someone who has had minimal, or no exposure to Japanese VO. It's different than English, but it's not as if basic human emotions are drastically different in tone, and delivery just because they're speaking Japanese (or any language). Unless you have an inherent inability to pick up on vocal cues, or body language then it's a non-issue.

Just realized my foreseeable consoles purchases are all JRPGs. Not a bad time to be into the genre.

also emotion isn't everything. perhaps more important, the overall ambiance and mood is completely ruined when you change language.

dapoktan

darn i missed the theme bc i was traveling that day and didnt hear about it.. :(

hopefully there's another chance to get it, at least for people who have shelled out for the collectors edition. :-/

DMiz

... I don't know if I would call that savage. It seems more like they're breathing a sign of relief that JRPG-starved fans are going to have more of a reason to pick up their game at this stage since the delay puts them out further from being able to tap into that Persona goodness.

Regardless, I was going to get both games anyway. At least now I have more time to really enjoy ToB before Persona 5 comes out. I'm not going to complain when there are lots of games that I do want to play being spaced out a bit!

Top Bottom