• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at Persona 3, 4 and 5's JP Voice actors list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Been wanting to make a thread about this for some time now, first off let me list the primary characters' seiyuus for the JP version of Persona 3
Akira Ishida (MC)
Megumi Toyoguchi (Yukari)
Kosuke Toriumi (Bropei)
Rie Tanaka (Mitsuru)
Hikaru Midorikawa (Akihiko)
Maaya Sakamoto (AIgis)

Next here is Persona 4's primary characters' seiyuus
Daisuke Namikawa (You)
Shotaro Morikubo (Yosuke)
Yui Horie (Chie)
Ami Koshimizu (Yukiko)
Tomokazu Seki (Kanji)
Rie Kugimiya (Rise)
Romi Park (Naoto)
Kappei Yamaguchi (Teddie)
Kana Hanazawa (Marie)

Here are Persona 5's primary cast's seiyuus, let me know if I should put them in spoiler tags for whatever reason
Jun Fukuyama (MC)
Nana Mizuki (Anne)
Mamoru Miyano (NarutoRyuji)
Ikue Otani (Morgana)
Aoi Yuuki (Futaba)
Tomokazu Sugita (Yusuke)

OK so now you have an idea of who voices these characters in the JP ver. of the games. The games being the mainline Persona series which for whatever odd reason Atlus doesn't get the JP voices for the western release.

Why do I bring them up? Because here is a list of games some of those seiyuus were in AND got or getting a western release, I will also note which games had dual audio

Tomokazu Sugita is
At least one character in every Japanese video game released in the past 5 years

Akira Ishida is
Amane from BlazBlue (Dual Audio)
Byakuya Togami in the DanganRonpa series (Dual Audio)
Gaara in a lot of Naruto games
Shusei in Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (JP audio only)
Eric in Zero Time Dilemma (Dual Audio)

Megumi Toyoguchi is
Yukari Takeba in Persona 4 AU (Dual Audio)
Meracle Chamlotte in Star Ocean the Last Hope (Dual Audio)
Rosie in Valkyria Chronicles (Dual Audio)

Kosuke Toriumi is
Kiyotaka Ishimaru in DanganRonpa 1 (Dual Audio)
Kiba Inuzuka in the Naruto games
Strider Hiryu and Yuri in Project X Zone 2 (JP dub only)
Nash in Street Fighter V (Dual audio)
Little Mac in Smash Bros. 4
Sigma in Virtue's Last Reward (Dual Audio)
Gordeau in UNREAL BLACK THINGSUnder Night InBirth (JP audio only)
Phoenix Wright in UMvC3 (Dual Audio)

Rie Tanaka is
Top Nep in the Neptunia series (Dual Audio)
Morrigan Aensland in UMvC3 (Dual Audio) & Project X Zone (JP dub only)

Daisuke Namikawa is
Narsus in Arslan Musou (JP dub only)
Giorno Giovanna in JoJo ASB/EoH (JP dub only)

Shotaro Morikubo is
Ryudo in Grandia 2 (Dual audio on Steam)
Akira Otoishi in JoJo ASB/EoH (JP dub only)
Shikamaru in the Naruto games

Yui Horie is
Hitomi in the DoA games
Nepgear in the Neptunia games

AMI KOSHIMIZU is
Ibuki Mioda in DanganRonpa 2
Queen in FF Type-0 (Dual Audio)

Tomokazu Seki
Toki and Amiba in the Hokuto Musou games
Viewtiful Joe in the MvC3 games
Rob Lucci in the One Piece Musou games (JP dub only)
Shinya Kogami in Psycho-Pass MH
Yoshimitsu and Bryan in SFxT (Dual audio)
Daru in Steins;Gate series

RIE KUGIMIYA is
Homiron in DQ Heroes series (Dual audio)
Haruka in the Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza series (JP dub only)
Quark in Virtue's Last Reward

Kappei Yamaguchi and Romi Park have been in more games than I am in the mood to list

Now we come to Persona 5, here's the games those seiyuus have been in

Jun Fukuyama is
Teruteru Hanamura in DanganRonpa 2
Maximilian in Valkyria Chronicles

NANA MIZUKI is
Hinata in the Naruto games
Jessica in RE Revelations (Dual audio)

MAMORU MIYANO is
Flynn Scifo in Project X Zone series
Rintarou OkabeHououin Kyouma in the Steins;Gate series

IKUE OTANI is
Tony Tony Chopper in the One Piece Musou games

Aoi Yuuki is
Platinum the Trinity in the BlazBlue games

Right so where am I going with this? Well with P5 being revealed to be only English dub, in 2017 it's really ridiculous that they still can't use the JP voice actors for that release.

Now some will point out that it's the agency or studio's decision which begs the question of why such archiac draconic restrictions still apply in this day and age.

Neoxon

I get where you're coming from, & it's a shame that Persona 5 won't have dual audio. But at the same time, you have to license the Japanese voice acting separately. Perhaps the licensing cost was too expensive for Atlus USA.

Uhhh, are you saying what voice actors are used has bearing on whether the game would be dual audio or not? Because its just because Atlus doesn't wanna put in the work for whatever reason I'm pretty sure.

Tizoc

Uhhh, are you saying what voice actors are used has bearing on whether the game would be dual audio or not? Because its just because Atlus doesn't wanna put in the work for whatever reason I'm pretty sure.

Yet you have games like the Neptunia series that DO release with dual audio.

The subsection of people who would even care about this seem so small that I'm assuming that it just isn't worth it, monetarily speaking, for Atlus to do this. Not to mention that the Japanese version of the game is coming multiple months before the US version, so I'm guessing that they are assuming that people who truly care will just import the game in September.

Dugna

Ikue Otani sure is typecast for mascot-type characters. Chopper, Pikachu, Morgana, GASH BELL.

and loveable sachiko
latest

Eolz

Good argument, agreed.
I'm not expecting much from Atlus as a publisher nowadays tbh (europe, no dual-audio, care mostly about Persona...).

Shame since the developers are excellent.

Volcynika

Yet you have games like the Neptunia series that DO release with dual audio.

And the English dub suffers because it's not complete. Lots of scenes end up not having VA (even important story scenes), and it's disappointing. I'd rather take a full English dub, line for line to the JP version, than dual audio. None of this unbalanced amount of VA. If you want it to be dual audio, then do it full for both languages.

Linkark07

Banned
And the English dub suffers because it's not complete. Lots of scenes end up not having VA (even important story scenes), and it's disappointing. I'd rather take a full English dub, line for line to the JP version, than dual audio. None of this unbalanced amount of VA. If you want it to be dual audio, then do it full for both languages.
Then they should hire different voice actors. No offense, but I'm tired of hearing in almost all games Laura Baley and Yuri Lowenthal for example.

Heck, in Atlus case, they do love Lowenthal. P3, P4, EOU1, EOU2... And the list goes on.

Dugna

Then they should hire different voice actors. No offense, but I'm tired of hearing in almost all games Laura Baley and Yuri Lowenthal for example.

Heck, in Atlus case, they do love Lowenthal. P3, P4, EOU1, EOU2... And the list goes on.

NISA had dual audio for Danganronpa and somehow were able to hire new VAs for the dub which is great. I enjoyed my 4 playthroughs of both games because of this.

Nachos

Lowenthal hasn't been in an Etrian game yet. It's just people's go-to assumption the moment they hear a tenor voice. Flavio's was Nicholas Roye, while Arthur's is still completely unknown.

If you want to criticize the Untolds for having characters reuse voice actors and the exact same voices for unrelated characters, change that to Erin Fitzgerald and Todd Haberkorn.

Linkark07

Banned
Lowenthal hasn't been in an Etrian game yet. It's just people's go-to assumption the moment they hear a tenor voice. Flavio's was Nicholas Roye, while Arthur's is still completely unknown.

If you want to criticize the Untolds for having characters reuse voice actors and the exact same voices for unrelated characters, change that to Erin Fitzgerald and Todd Haberkorn.

Guess TV Tropes is wrong then. That explains why his page in Wikipedia doesn't show the Etrian Odyssey games. My bad.

duckroll

There is already a thread for people who want to talk about Persona 5 not having Japanese voices in the English version. We really don't need another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom