• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 delayed to April 4, JP voices available as free DLC at launch

When will Persona 5 actually be released in the west?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Skinpop

Thank you to everyone who voiced your opinon anywhere that you wanted the Japanese voice option and that it was important to you. Especially in the face of everyone who tried to shout down your opinion as "bitching" or "whining" or presenting this "well you'd have to be an asshole to listen to a language you can't understand" fallacy. You are all the best and those "whining complaints" AKA requests for a perfectly reasonable feature for Japanese voices in a game
Set in Japan, about life in Japan, and starring fucking Japanese characters. Those are the reason we all have the option to listen to the original voice cast. Never listen to anyone who tells you to shut up.

This was a dealbreaker for me. There are other games to play, so why should I put down my money for a game that didn't meet my expectations? Thank you Atlus for listening to the fans this feature is important to. It's awesome living in a reality where P5 will steal my heart instead of being a missed opportunity.

All due respect to the English cast, I hope to hear all those actors someday, in other games

Edit: Also I don't care about the delay. With the Japanese language track now being available this game became a priority for me. Release it whenever you want I will play it over any other game in that release window.
well said! It was a deal breaker for me as well and I actually ended up ordering the japanese version just a few weeks ago which I regret now so these are bittersweet news to me.

Darksol

What a disappointment
LLShC.gif

Looks like my prediction is coming true, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions (Wii U GOTY 2016) might end up being the better game in the end as I don't believe it suffered these constant delays like Persona 5, it was smooth sailing until release for TMS #FE.

Multiple delays are never a good sign.

It's one of the best games to ever game, and it wipes its ass with every other Altus release.

Mr Git

Another delay is pretty shite, but the dual audio patch kinda makes up for it. Q1 was already pretty damn packed after all.

So does Dual Audio mean you can choose English Dub or Japanese w/ English Sub?

Basically trying to understand if it will mean English Subtitles.
Yes. It's basically the localized English game only with the voice files being replaced by the Japanese original. Only the voice is different, subtitles and everything else is the same. Unless they go a really, really long extra mile which I doubt (whould be a real hassle with a 60+ hours game that is so text heavy).

So unless you do not enjoy reading subtitles you basically get the same experience as if you were playing the English version, only with the of course more professional (can't argue with that lineup of voice actor superstars that the Japanese version has) voice acting "as the developers intended".

I think the really big part is that there are quite a few scenes in the game where the Japanese cast speaks broken English while interacting with foreign characters trying to communicate with broken Japanese. I really doubt they can preserve that in the English dub, so it is a big point for playing with the Japanese dub for the first playthrough IMO. And of course Japanese Morgana is something else (with a dozens of cat puns in every line and using an interesting mix of antiquated and modern Japanese).

As far as I have read it also seems like there isn't any annoying voice on the main cast like the original Japanese voice of Teddy or Rise (which I both found very irritating) where you could make a good case how the original English Chie and Teddy were objectively better.

Yes both with english subtitles

Thanks. That's interesting. With movies, I always prefer the language it was originally filmed for as I find that dubs lose a lot to get the words to match and the subtitles are typically a lot closer to the original words.

However, I'm wondering if we would really lose anything when it comes to localizing a game.

Is it it the same when it comes to games? Not sure if someone who has more experience with importing games could weigh in.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should care about dual audio or not. If the translations are pretty spot on, then I wouldn't care to play in Japanese just for the sake of it.

Yes. It's basically the localized English game only with the voice files being replaced by the Japanese original. Only the voice is different, subtitles and everything else is the same. Unless they go a really, really long extra mile which I doubt (whould be a real hassle with a 60+ hours game that is so text heavy).

So unless you do not enjoy reading subtitles you basically get the same experience as if you were playing the English version, only with the of course more professional (can't argue with that lineup of voice actor superstars that the Japanese version has) voice acting "as the developers intended".

I think the really big part is that there are quite a few scenes in the game where the Japanese cast speaks broken English while interacting with foreign characters trying to communicate with broken Japanese. I really doubt they can preserve that in the English dub, so it is a big point for playing with the Japanese dub for the first playthrough IMO. And of course Japanese Morgana is something else (with a dozens of cat puns in every line and using an interesting mix of antiquated and modern Japanese).

This is what bugs me. Whilst I'm ecstatic that ATLUS have finally given us dual audio, they extensively rewrite the game's script for the American audience (a practice I personally dislike), which means the subs likely won't match up with the Japanese voices at times in the slightest.

This is what bugs me. Whilst I'm ecstatic that ATLUS have finally given us dual audio, they extensively rewrite the game's script for the American audience (a practice I personally dislike), which means the subs likely won't match up with the Japanese voices at times in the slightest.
On the other hand if you have even a minor understanding of the Japanese language or language quirks (e.g. whether or not a character uses more normal/informal speech or desu/masu or which honorifics already says a lot about how two characters interact and what there standing with each other is) you can often make those changes out, even if your knowledge of Japanese simply comes from watching Anime with subs for a few years. So it still beats being forced to rely on the given translation only.

For example Valkyria Chronicles 1 had a pretty atrocious translation at times which I could spot even with the most basic understanding of the Japanese language after barely learning it for half a year (which also helped being able to realize missing context in scenes or for lines that didn't make sense before because they literally translated that context relevant information away in the subs/English dub).

And of course you can't translate everything literally, I don't envy the translators over at ATLUS who have to find a way to translate those Japanese/English communication difficulties. Though I do hope they didn't just take the easy way out and translated them away. Though with the more serious approach they are taking (e.g. new English Igor fitting new Japanese Igor's voice actor and their comments regarding honorifics) I doubt that.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

That really doesn't seem like the case here. From the bits of the stream I saw (granted I didn't have the Japanese copy on hand to compare line by line), it looks like much more of a literal translation than what I've seen in previous Atlus games. There were a couple of questionable lines, ahem "Wassup Persona," but that was it. Another thing they mentioned is that they're finally taking honorifics seriously. In the past games they would just throw them it seemingly at random, though obviously this wouldn't be noticed since they were dub-only. But with P5 being dual audio, it's nice to hear that they said they're using honorifics in the exact places they're used in Japanese.

I'm a big weeb, but most "literal" translations I've seen are so wooden and boring, a certain amount of localization/editing is desperately needed. I bet people would complain way more without it.

I often choose JP VA for the atmosphere, but if you want the full JP experience you kinda have to learn the language

This a problem that didn't need to be happen if they would start with the english voices and translations from the get go. I mean, it's not like the people don't care about Persona at all. Why is this delay even a thing. It makes me upset. You can't even stream the japanese version for 2 months more. Seriously?
I think the problem is that Atlus JP doesn't really give Atlus USA the resources to make the localisation process go faster. It seems they only get the scripts after the Japanese version is finished.

On the other hand if you have even a minor understanding of the Japanese language or language quirks (whether or not a character uses informal speech or even desu/masu already says a lot about how two characters interact and what there standing with each other is) you can often make those changes out, even if your knowledge of Japanese simply comes from watching Anime with subs for a few years. So it still beats being forced to rely on the given translation only.

For example Valkyria Chronicles 1 had a pretty atrocious translation at times which I could spot even with the most basic understanding of the Japanese language after barely learning it for half a year(which also helped giving missing context in scenes or for lines that didn't make sense before because they literally translated that context relevant information away).

And of course you can't translate everything literally, I don't envy the translators over at ATLUS who have to find a way to translate those Japanese/English communication difficulties. Though I do hope they didn't just take the easy way out and translated them away.

Oh absolutely - I'm not irritated based on the idea that I won't spot the changes - I imagine many will be very obvious, more that it'll be jarring because of them being blatantly apparent. So I'm surprised ATLUS have included dual audio this time, given their localisation style.

That really doesn't seem like the case here. From the bits of the stream I saw (granted I didn't have the Japanese copy on hand to compare line by line), it looks like much more of a literal translation than what I've seen in previous Atlus games. There were a couple of questionable lines, ahem "Wassup Persona," but that was it. Another thing they mentioned is that they're finally taking honorifics seriously. In the past games they would just throw them it seemingly at random, though obviously this wouldn't be noticed since they were dub-only. But with P5 being dual audio, it's nice to hear that they said they're using honorifics in the exact places they're used in Japanese.

That's good to hear. I've been avoiding English footage because I'm kind of allergic to the idea of hearing this game dubbed, but pleased it seems like a step up from P4.

I'm a big weeb, but most "literal" translations I've seen are so wooden and boring, a certain amount of localization/editing is desperately needed.

I'm not in disagreement there, I just feel that rewriting to the extent that ATLUS have at times is on the wrong side of compromise.

kurahador

As long it's not Tales Of Hearts R changes where they even renamed the characters, it's fine to me.

At this point my Media Blackout for this game will be longer than most games spend in development. For Nanako's Sake Atlus let us buy your game. Sheesh.

Do you have some examples?

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/08/07/examining-the-localization-of-persona/

There's more written elsewhere on changes that I can't find at the drop of a hat, and I am yet to play P4 in Japanese, but it seems that retaining a line or two is the exception, not the general approach.

As long it's not Tales Of Hearts R changes where they even renamed the characters, it's fine to me.

I'd assumed that the localisation for that would be generally okay given it's sub-only, but I just looked that up - blimey. Unsure now whether to play the English Vita version or the Japanese DS version on my shelf...

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Good thing I imported the JP version. I'm still buying the NA release to support the series.

It's really great news about the dual audio. This should be done on all Japanese titles coming to the west.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but hows the music in P5? Is it on par with P4? Someone just answer that for me.

It's a very different style of soundtrack, so if you're looking for more stuff like P4, you might be disappointed. It's much less focused around being memorable and melodic, and more subdued like Catherine. I've seen some people in the import OT who seem less enthralled with it, but I love it, in fact it's my favorite Meguro soundtrack yet, and it matches the tone of the game perfectly. Unlike P3 and P4, I wasn't finding myself getting sick of a single song in the game by the end, not because they weren't fantastic songs, but just because the most frequently played songs in P5 are much softer on the ears, while after 60 hours of listening to Heartbeat Heartbreak and BABYBABYBABYBABY I'd really had enough of it, despite liking both songs initially. Another complaint I've seen is about the number of vocal songs; while there are a similar number of vocal songs as P3/4, they're played far less frequently in the game. Again, I think this is a positive, since the vocal songs in P3/4 got really grating after a while, and having them be more of a rarity in P5 makes them so much more exciting when they do play. The dungeon music is absolutely god-tier, and the miniboss/boss themes are also great.

Ultimadrago

It's a very different style of soundtrack, so if you're looking for more stuff like P4, you might be disappointed. It's much less focused around being memorable and melodic, and more subdued like Catherine. I've seen some people in the import OT who seem less enthralled with it, but I love it, in fact it's my favorite Meguro soundtrack yet, and it matches the tone of the game perfectly. Unlike P3 and P4, I wasn't finding myself getting sick of a single song in the game by the end, not because they weren't fantastic songs, but just because the most frequently played songs in P5 are much softer on the ears. while after 60 hours of listening to Heartbeat Heartbreak and BABYBABYBABYBABY I'd really had enough of it, despite liking both songs initially. Another complaint I've seen is about the number of vocal songs; while there are a similar number of vocal songs as P3/4, they're played far less frequently in the game. Again, I think this is a positive, since the vocal songs in P3/4 got really grating after a while, and having them be more of a rarity in P5 makes them so much more exciting when they do play. The dungeon music is absolutely god-tier, and the miniboss/boss themes are also great.

Oh, this sounds like a very very good thing. There were certainly those earbugs turned parasites in both Persona 3 and 4 that made me not want to listen to certain songs ever again. I also hated a majority of the dungeoun music from both (with few exceptions like Persona 4's
"Heaven"
to fill the gap.

I've been avoiding import impressions not only for less exposure to plot details, but also to avoid lofty/untrue claims that often ruin those threads. This critique comes off really believable, however. I hope this ends up being a conscious decision that Atlus may keep in mind for future titles.

Aeana

Thank you to everyone who voiced your opinon anywhere that you wanted the Japanese voice option and that it was important to you. Especially in the face of everyone who tried to shout down your opinion as "bitching" or "whining" or presenting this "well you'd have to be an asshole to listen to a language you can't understand" fallacy. You are all the best and those "whining complaints" AKA requests for a perfectly reasonable feature for Japanese voices in a game
Set in Japan, about life in Japan, and starring fucking Japanese characters. Those are the reason we all have the option to listen to the original voice cast. Never listen to anyone who tells you to shut up.

This was a dealbreaker for me. There are other games to play, so why should I put down my money for a game that didn't meet my expectations? Thank you Atlus for listening to the fans this feature is important to. It's awesome living in a reality where P5 will steal my heart instead of being a missed opportunity.

All due respect to the English cast, I hope to hear all those actors someday, in other games

Edit: Also I don't care about the delay. With the Japanese language track now being available this game became a priority for me. Release it whenever you want I will play it over any other game in that release window.
Since I feel that this is at least partially referencing what I said in the last thread, I’ll say it again: derailing every thread on this forum about this game and belittling people who just wanted to talk about the game itself did not get you what you wanted, and effort would have been much better spent contacting the company directly. What has been happening here is much different from what you’ve referred to as reasonable requests. Being right or having a reasonable request doesn’t mean you get to act however you want on this forum.

And yes, I’m aware that many of the people on the other “side” have been just as disrespectful and the above applies to them just as much.

Durante

Personally, I find my immersion is strengthened by being able to understand the emotional cues and emphases of the characters, though - isn't that a factor for you?
After consuming Japanese media in Japanese with subtitles for getting close to two decades I have no problem distinguishing the vast majority of emotional cues in spoken Japanese.
I still wouldn't have a chance of playing a game in an enjoyable manner while being forced to look up almost every single Kanji though, before someone asks why I don't "just play the original".

Hell, I don't even think that this much experience is necessary. I find that I have no problem with emotional cues in e.g. subtitled French movies either, and I really haven't had all that much exposure to French.

And yes, I’m aware that many of the people on the other “side” have been just as disrespectful and the above applies to them just as much.
I'd certainly hope so, because "just as disrespectful" is, in my opinion, putting it mildly.

Delay news sucks, but I'm glad that sanity finally prevailed on the dual audio issue.

A localization that left honorifics intact for regional flavor/authenticity but had original language audio off the table just made no sense to me. Hopefully this will be the standard going forward.

Aeana

After consuming Japanese media in Japanese with subtitles for getting close to two decades I have no problem distinguishing the vast majority of emotional cues in spoken Japanese.
I still wouldn't have a chance of playing a game in an enjoyable manner while being forced to look up almost every single Kanji though, before someone asks why I don't "just play the original".

Hell, I don't even think that this much experience is necessary. I find that I have no problem with emotional cues in e.g. subtitled French movies either, and I really haven't had all that much exposure to French.

I'd certainly hope so, because "just as disrespectful" is, in my opinion, putting it mildly.
Well, someone might be offended if you call them a weeaboo. Someone might also be offended if you insist they’re a child because they want English voices. People entrenched in this debate all think they’re superior to other people and that is the root of the breakdown in discussion and respect we have every time this comes up.

I had reconciled myself to having to miss out on that stellar Japanese cast, so dual audio is the cherry on top of a particularly delicious sundae.

Well, someone might be offended if you call them a weeaboo. Someone might also be offended if you insist they’re a child because they want English voices. People entrenched in this debate all think they’re superior to other people and that is the root of the breakdown in discussion and respect we have every time this comes up.

I'm not even planning to play P5 in English and I'm happy about this news because it might finally cause this discussion to cool down among the fanbase.

StereoVsn

I do want to mention that Atlus localization itself is normally top notch, along with VA. At least P3/P4/Spinoffs and other ties were great. Soul Hackers were pretty awesome considering the age, for example.

I am a bit worried about English VA here but the gameplay sounded better then the trailers.

Curufinwe

What a disappointment
LLShC.gif

Looks like my prediction is coming true, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions (Wii U GOTY 2016) might end up being the better game in the end as I don't believe it suffered these constant delays like Persona 5, it was smooth sailing until release for TMS #FE.

It doesn't look like that at all.

Gbraga

Agreed about French, actually. I also found out that I can follow Polish well enough, for whatever reason. I thought it would be straight up moonspeak, but it's fine.

German, though, every time I listen to people talking in German, it's complete gibberish. I don't think I could ever learn that language.

koutoru

Delay news sucks, but I'm glad that sanity finally prevailed on the dual audio issue.

A localization that left honorifics intact for regional flavor/authenticity but had original language audio off the table just made no sense to me. Hopefully this will be the standard going forward.

The funny thing is that the honorifics they used in the English localization (for at least Persona 3 and 4) were different honorifics then what was actually being said in the Japanese version.

In terms of the dual audio,I can understand simple Japanese so I like to listen to the Japanese dub while using the subtitles as a baseline.
It's interesting to see what changes are made for the localized script versus what's actually being said.

artsi

What a disappointment
LLShC.gif

The game is out, many have played it, and my humble opinion is that Persona 5 wipes the floor with TMS #FE.

It's just so much better and more polished.

muteki

What a disappointment
LLShC.gif

They are in completely different classes.

TMS is a great game but really is Persona Lite.

I'm still ecstatic about the availability of Japanese voices. I don't mind competently done dubbing at all, but the Persona franchise is just so... Japanese. Super excited for April! Also, a question for those who have already played/beaten the Japanese version. Was the game at least almost as good as P3 and P4? Because those two are among my fav games of all time.

RDreamer

Delay news really blows, but that's because I really don't give a crap about dual audio. Atlus does a fine job with its localization and I'd rather play that earlier.

I hope a Catherine sequel with the same setting comes out next to put a nice twist on all the sub/dub weeb infighting. The English version IS the culturally correct "fully immersive" version!

I hope a Catherine sequel with the same setting comes out next to put a nice twist on all the sub/dub weeb infighting. The English version IS the culturally correct "fully immersive" version!
Same reason I will always watch Hellsing Ultimate in English (can't beat ze Major) I will always play Catherine in English.

Immersion plays a big part, in some cases the Dub can even become better than the original. The English Dub of Hellsing Ultimate adds so much characterisation to all the characters that the "just normal Japanese" version fails to deliver. The English cast of Catherine is pretty much perfect and everything takes place in America. The original PS2 Persona 4 Dub had much less grating and more fitting voices for Chie and Teddy. In the case of Persona however I usually prefer the characters to speak Japanese, if everything else is Japanese as fuck... everyone speaking American English is pretty strange ;-). And thank god it seems we have been spared from having any super annoying voices in the original cast, Morgana is leagues above Teddy.

Durante

Erm, what's the problem here?
I was answering the question posed in the post I was replying to.

I also don't see what's surprising or offensive about my statement. It is a fact that "in many countries (those which don't have widely-spoken languages), dubs are something only done for children's media."
And that in those countries the standard expectation is for adults to read subtitles.

I mean, I obviously didn't just make this up, everyone who lives in such a country can confirm it. At least one person did so in this thread, actually.

I play in English cause I understand English and would rather have that then having to focus on the darn subtitles every time a character speaks. But if it's Japan only then that's okay.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions will always be an awesome but bitter point for me since I could never tell what the in game banter was.

Erm, what's the problem here?
I was answering the question posed in the post I was replying to.

I also don't see what's surprising or offensive about my statement. It is a fact that "in many countries (those which don't have widely-spoken languages), dubs are something only done for children's media."
What is also implied here, maybe not by you, is that dubs are for those who didn't learn the language and so are almost like children since they "need help".)

Top Bottom