• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Making my way through the game now (Early July) and have a question about the fortune teller:

Do I REALLY need to spend 100K on that holy stone to forge a bond with her? That seems crazy excessive

Guess Who

Banned
Making my way through the game now (Early July) and have a question about the fortune teller:

Do I REALLY need to spend 100K on that holy stone to forge a bond with her? That seems crazy excessive

100k will seem like chump change later in the game, and the abilities you get if you max her link are very worth it.

100k will seem like chump change later in the game, and the abilities you get if you max her link are very worth it.

Gotcha. So essentially put a button in it for now.

In early July, what would you say is the most important confidant to attempt to max out?

Pretty close with Ryuji and Ann, gotta level up my proficiency with Yusuke. Kawakami is one I'm looking to max out since her classroom stuff is worth it, and working on Ohya just to help boost charm.

Arrrammis

Gotcha. So essentially put a button in it for now.

In early July, what would you say is the most important confidant to attempt to max out?

Pretty close with Ryuji and Ann, gotta level up my proficiency with Yusuke. Kawakami is one I'm looking to max out since her classroom stuff is worth it, and working on Ohya just to help boost charm.

There's 3 that I think you should max out as soon as you can because they have really good perks:The Politician, Kawakami, and the fortune teller. The fortune teller costs a lot to get going, but after that it's pretty easy to rank up.

There's 3 that I think you should max out as soon as you can because they have really good perks:The Politician, Kawakami, and the fortune teller. The fortune teller costs a lot to get going, but after that it's pretty easy to rank up.

I've really been trying with Kawakami but her schedule of Fridays and Saturdays makes it frustrating, along with the 5K. Didn't even realize the politician was an actual confidant until I randomly talked with him about a week earlier in-game.

I'm always reluctant to hit up Mementos when I don't have a request as losing an entire day sucks.

kromeo

I'd say Kawakami is the most useful one of all to get to max.

I'm in December and Ryuji has completely disappeared, is there an earlier time limit on his link?

RetroMG

I'd say Kawakami is the most useful one of all to get to max.

I'm in December and Ryuji has completely disappeared, is there an earlier time limit on his link?

Have you beaten the palace yet? I ran into this, and he'll barely show up until the palace is finished. If you do it right away, he'll be available more often.

CosmicElement

Neo Member
So I let
Hifumi
come over and we did srs bsns and rose to level max 10.. Then immediately go downstairs to get coffee from my
girlfriend Kawakami
. So awkward haha.

I don't have anything to contribute to this thread, really, but just wanted to say I finally got this game when it went on sale last week for 39.99 and it's way better than I expected. I was never hooked on Persona 4 when I tried it but this game seems better.

I've only just finished the first Palace, about 12 hours in, so I know I have a long way to go. I need to get a better understanding of how fusing personas works.

Otherwise, I love the music, I love the aesthetic, and I like the characters (I've met so far).

Aters

If you want all social links in first playthrough, you gonna spend a lot more than that on her eventually. Her skills are extremely useful.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I just went to Mementos for the first time. That seems cool.

I'm really enjoying the game but feel overwhelmed. The game wants me to do so much but I just don't have enough time! I have rented DVD's but didn't manage to watch them before the rental period ended. I didn't realise it was episodes so I rented 3 DVD's and only got to watch 1 and a half. I've not been able to read books much either. Sometimes on the train I can read but not always. I've only been into my part time job twice. I've only managed to study once. At the same time I want to hang out with confidants but apparently I need to level up stats. So that means I need to spend time watching DVD's/Reading Books/Bathhouse etc. I also need to create new tools. I can't ask about the gun in the bag with my current stats.

I have no idea what to prioritise and I feel like there just isn't enough time to do everything. I suppose the main thing is that I'm certainly not wasting any time...I am making the most of any free time I have by doing something. So I guess I shouldn't worry too much? How bad could it end up?

kromeo

I just went to Mementos for the first time. That seems cool.

I'm really enjoying the game but feel overwhelmed. The game wants me to do so much but I just don't have enough time! I have rented DVD's but didn't manage to watch them before the rental period ended. I didn't realise it was episodes so I rented 3 DVD's and only got to watch 1 and a half. I've not been able to read books much either. Sometimes on the train I can read but not always. I've only been into my part time job twice. I've only managed to study once. At the same time I want to hang out with confidants but apparently I need to level up stats. So that means I need to spend time watching DVD's/Reading Books/Bathhouse etc. I also need to create new tools. I can't ask about the gun in the bag with my current stats.

I have no idea what to prioritise and I feel like there just isn't enough time to do everything. I suppose the main thing is that I'm certainly not wasting any time...I am making the most of any free time I have by doing something. So I guess I shouldn't worry too much? How bad could it end up?

Without using a guide you won't max everything in one playthrough, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Without going into spoilers there's a reason why you want to try and max your party member's links at least

Sun confidant ends a month earlier than the rest and Ryuji needs to be finished before a certain point as well so maybe don't leave those ones too late

PK Gaming

I saved Ryuji for last and I'm honestly glad I did. Maxing him early would have certainly cost me in exp and money income.

His ability only kicks in where you're substantially higher leveled than your target, so the EXP from beating them would have been paltry. Also, your primary source of income comes from Mementos boss fights.

RetroMG

I saved Ryuji for last and I'm honestly glad I did. Maxing him early would have certainly cost me in exp and money income.

His ability only kicks in where you're substantially higher leveled than your target, so the EXP from beating them would have been paltry. Also, your primary source of income comes from Mementos boss fights.

It also makes getting the Passionate Listener trophy annoying because you tend to skip a lot more fights.

I actually intentionally left Toranosuke at level 2 and got myself into money extortion loops for extra cash. Once made a battle last about an hour earning an average of 20,000 yen a minute.

PK Gaming

It also makes getting the Passionate Listener trophy annoying because you tend to skip a lot more fights.

I dunno, if you haven't already gotten the trophy from playing naturally (ie: rotating the party), then squeezing out a few lines from some low level enemies isn't going to make a huge difference. The ability only activates when you're like what, 8~10 levels higher?

I actually intentionally left Toranosuke at level 2 and got myself into money extortion loops for extra cash. Once made a battle last about an hour earning an average of 20,000 yen a minute.

Oh, yea, his super extortion is blatantly worse huh?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i wish there was more freedom in this. i feel like i am constantly being told to go to sleep by morgana. there is so much i want to do but nope it's time for bed apparently.

i am not wasting any time and i'm always doing something but i'm just worried that i'm wasting time and honestly it's ruining the game for me. i want to rank up my confidants but i need to do other stuff before i can do that. i'm trying but it's doing my head in.

True Fire

i wish there was more freedom in this. i feel like i am constantly being told to go to sleep by morgana. there is so much i want to do but nope it's time for bed apparently.

i am not wasting any time and i'm always doing something but i'm just worried that i'm wasting time and honestly it's ruining the game for me. i want to rank up my confidants but i need to do other stuff before i can do that. i'm trying but it's doing my head in.

I recommend giving up on time management. There's always NG+ for maxing confidants, and in NG+ you won't have to worry about your attributes at all.

It's fun to play the game like you're a real person the first time, prioritizing the things you care about.

Curufinwe

Don't worry about it. This is the easiest Persona game to max out all the confidants.

PK Gaming

I'm actually not aware of why extortion actually becomes worse at higher levels, just that it apparently is.

He basically gives you a 1/3 chance of extorting demons for even more money, but it's a one time thing, and they run off after doing it. It's still worth leveling his Confidant, because he gives you the ability to recruit demons above your level, which is amazing.

I know it's the meme (to the point of being this thread's title) but it really doesn't happen all that often. You are locked out of evening activities either for story reasons or if you just returned from the Metaverse (unless you
finish Kawakami's confidant
). This game doesn't do it any more often than Persona 3 or 4 did; merely, the previous games would send you straight to bed rather than having you walk to bed yourself.

I had problems with other aspects, such as the timing of what happened after sending calling cards was not always consistent. At least once in the game I had to reload a prior save because an expected chance to make infiltration tools didn't happen for reasons.

aceface

Don't get stressed about it. Focus on doing the things that interest you the most. The protagonist is a blank slate and you mold him into the unique person he is based on your actions. If you really want to go completionist, go for new game plus. For example, your social stats carry over to new game plus, so you'll be set to start every confidante immediately in a second playthrough.

ShadyK54

I recommend giving up on time management. There's always NG+ for maxing confidants, and in NG+ you won't have to worry about your attributes at all.

It's fun to play the game like you're a real person the first time, prioritizing the things you care about.

Exactly. I went for a guide the first few in game days of my first playthrough & stopped for this reason.

Seriously. That cat won't even let me make lockpicks when the table's right next to my bed. Pretty annoying.

For maxing out all your stats I'd recommend to do the Burger challenge even during the day, to prioritize social links that give you stats (Sun, Hierophant, Tower, Star, Death, Hanged Man, etc.), do activities when they give you more points: the public bath gives you more points on Monday, Thursday and Saturday iirc, you get more knowledge when you study at the dinner when it's raining, make tools on your desk the night before beating the final boss of each palace, etc. , drink the juices at Shibuya station every Sunday you're free, level up Fortune, Death and Temperance as soon as you can, use your summer vacations wisely:
it's the longest period between palaces, you can level up your stats and your SLs a lot during this period of time
. Take into account there are some Stats more difficult to level up than others too (courage).

Maxing out all your stats and your SLs is totally possible in your first playthrough without using a guide (if you have some limited knowledge how to do it, though) but if you can't do it don't stress about it.

Nictel

Seriously. That cat won't even let me make lockpicks when the table's right next to my bed. Pretty annoying.

It's somewhat funny, doesn't matter if you spend 5 minutes in metaverse or 5 hours you are too tired afterwards. Now 68 hours in it doesn't bother me any more.

Maxing out all your stats and your SLs is totally possible in your first playthrough without using a guide (if you have some limited knowledge how to do it, though) but if you can't do it don't stress about it.

I wished it gave you absolute numbers. I have no idea how close I am to the next rank, like I won't spend time upgrading knowledge if I know it's a few points from maxing and that would happen naturally in class.

CosmicElement

Neo Member
Is it just me, or do the skills that do "severe" damage (physical and magic) seem to not be worth the extra HP/SP cost??

I don't think I want Ann to learn Inferno, and I think I'd rather let her keep Agidyne? Just because the SP cost is way higher with Inferno..

Thoughts?

Is it just me, or do the skills that do "severe" damage (physical and magic) seem to not be worth the extra HP/SP cost??

I don't think I want Ann to learn Inferno, and I think I'd rather let her keep Agidyne? Just because the SP cost is way higher with Inferno..

Thoughts?

I might have been a bit overleveled but I can't say I had any issue running out of SP, and the sheer damage output when combined with Concentrate was just amazing. But if you really want to stick with Agidyne you can choose to forget what you're about to learn; you don't -have- to take it.

I also kept Maragidyne and would just use that instead if I really wanted to save SP and knew the single target skill was overkill.

Nictel

Thoughts?

The animations seem to get better with skill upgrades though. I think that you're probably right, that the increase in damage output is less than the compared SP cost increase. However especially with late game enemies getting better abilities as well you want to keep rounds to a minimum. So e.g. where agidyne would need 6 casts Inferno needs only 4.

Under the bonnet perhaps it also has increased burn chances

Edit: What do people here think of the DLC, worth it?

kromeo

I wasn't ready for that boss gauntlet
at he end of palace 7,
I had no SP with any characters going in to it, lucky I had a soma left

I expected more from Akechi fight, he was actually a lot easier than the cleaner guy before him

Soar

With regards to the decision on whether to keep the cheaper SP costs spells as oppose to their upgrades:

Low costing spells are great for going through dungeons where you encounter mobs with weaknesses so you can exploit for all out/coin/capture.
High costing spells are better for bosses with no inherent weaknesses as you will reduce the number of rounds in the battle. Spike damage is great here.

Also depends if you have decent SP recovery gear and consumables. Towards the end though on normal playthrough even at the last boss I never ran out. Essentially just had Anne, Makoto and Mona spamming high damage spells with myself fully on support (buff,debuff) and heals. Really easy. The fact that you can swap in and out party members makes it a cakewalk too imo.

Zertez

On normal I didn't need use many severe spells on bosses especially if they are debuffed, but the lead up to the last boss the spike damage helped a lot on random encounters. The status effects got nasty unless I went all out. I got dropped a few times trying to save SP and the next round all hell broke loose with status effects.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm just about to send the calling card for the second palace! The first day I had access to the palace I got up to where it forces you to leave. As soon as I could go back in I did and cleared the palace in one go. This palace feels much shorter and easier than the first.

I'm going to send the calling card ASAP and get the palace out the way so I can finally go to my 2 jobs, spend time with friends, make tools, read books, watch dvds, study and level up stats. I'll just do that until the change of heart takes place.

NEO0MJ

Finally getting back into the groove of the game and cleared the third chapter.
Is there anyone post Ryuji who doesn't begin with an antagonistic relationship with Team Phantoms? They seem to start off on a worse and worse foot :p

Nictel

So I just finished the (September spoilers)
school trip to Hawaii. This game just gets getting better and better. Loved that the loading screens had a Hawaiian touch as well. For the date I picked Hifumi, mainly because I already maxed Ann and Makato is closed behind the charm stat. I'm going to date all the girls first run and go exclusive NG+ :p

So I just finished the (September spoilers)
school trip to Hawaii. This game just gets getting better and better. Loved that the loading screens had a Hawaiian touch as well. For the date I picked Hifumi, mainly because I already maxed Ann and Makato is closed behind the charm stat. I'm going to date all the girls first run and go exclusive NG+ :p

I fully intended to date every girl simultaneously my first run, but... I just couldn't bring myself to do it lol

Going to run an NG+ eventually (it's a ways off, didn't want to jump back in so soon) and I'll do the date everyone thing then. It'll be easier with the social stats carried over anyway - probably won't need a guide to max every confidant.

97% compendium now, just need the last two treasure demons maybe? I'm not sure. Need Igors last confidant rank.

Need to beat
The Twins

Need to catch the big fish

Need to read all the books

Need to get all the drinks

And then I'll have my first platinum ever! Is this stuff still doable with me beeing on 14/12?

97% compendium now, just need the last two treasure demons maybe? I'm not sure. Need Igors last confidant rank.

Need to beat
The Twins

Need to catch the big fish

Need to read all the books

Need to get all the drinks

And then I'll have my first platinum ever! Is this stuff still doable with me beeing on 14/12?

Some of the drinks are seasonal and I'm not sure if some drinks rotate completely out once they're out of season.

Fish should be pretty easy given you've read the appropriate books and know the strategy (which I don't recall at the moment, unfortunately, but it's easily found via Google).

You might have to savescum it (doing nothing but advancing one of those goals at a time, then going back to an earlier save once the trophy fires) but it might be possible.

Thanks man. I hope I didnt miss any drinks though, do the ones at the station square underground walkway count? The lady who sells them on sunday?

Thanks either way, I'm not against replaying it another time in the future to get those last trophies but Id rather not seeing as I'm on NG+ already.

OK, palace 7 done, doesn't look like I'll be able to max all confidants, oh well.

Can't wait to see
the scene of Shido's confession. I'm also really curious to see what else is left in the story since even though Shido was set up as the PT's final target, he obviously wasn't the final boss. I'm guessing some god type entity is about to step out of the shadows.

ShadyK54

Thanks man. I hope I didnt miss any drinks though, do the ones at the station square underground walkway count? The lady who sells them on sunday?

Thanks either way, I'm not against replaying it another time in the future to get those last trophies but Id rather not seeing as I'm on NG+ already.

They don't. The ones that count are the machines at Shujin, Shinjuku, and Akihabara.

If the drink trophy doesn't fire buying one of every drink right now, then you've missed a seasonal. I fired my drink trophy at the same time by virtue of having overlooked one of the machines at Akihabara.

Nictel

I fully intended to date every girl simultaneously my first run, but... I just couldn't bring myself to do it lol

Going to run an NG+ eventually (it's a ways off, didn't want to jump back in so soon) and I'll do the date everyone thing then. It'll be easier with the social stats carried over anyway - probably won't need a guide to max every confidant.

I actually felt bad for a bit but in the end it's a game and I am not going to do a run for every romantic relationship.

Besides it is
Makato's
fault for being so demanding :p

Top Bottom