• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Edit it's working now

and I agree, they are all dumb

I'm convinced Ryuji is actually has a contageous disease called "too stupid to live" and by spending too much time near him the rest of the group catches it. It's probably why his code name is skull, because he's a brain dead moron.

Junpei and Yosuke had interesting arcs within their trope roles, Ryuji is just the trope role with nothing interesting in either his slink or main story to redeem him.

PK Gaming

I'm convinced Ryuji is actually has a contageous disease called "too stupid to live" and by spending too much time near him the rest of the group catches it. It's probably why his code name is skull, because he's a brain dead moron.

Junpei and Yosuke had interesting arcs within their trope roles, Ryuji is just the trope role with nothing interesting in either his slink or main story to redeem him.

lol

Yosuke even didn't have an arc outside of his social link, and the writing on him was blatantly worse overall. At least Ryuji (late October spoilers)

Recognizes that he was being a glory-chasing asshole, apologizes for it and grows the love the the idea of protecting people from the shadows, rather than being a big-shot hero.

EDIT: If the Phantom Thieves are "stupid" then the P3/P4 groups are complete morons by comparison.

lol

Yosuke even didn't have an arc outside of his social link, and the writing on him was blatantly worse overall. At least Ryuji (late October spoilers)

Recognizes that he was being a glory-chasing asshole, apologizes for it and grows the love the the idea of protecting people from the shadows, rather than being a big-shot hero.

Yosuke
gets lots of time to shine in the various group events through the game like planning ahead the swimsuits for Yukiko/Chie during the camping trip or tricking the girls into the beauty pagent. Ryuji could only dream of being half as clever as Yosuke

And Ryuji doesn't get credit for that since the whole team together realizes that they got wrapped up in the hype. It also doesn't forgive the fact he actively causes them more problems for the group then he does in coming up with solutions

Plum

Just saw a pretty major spoiler in a Eurogamer article about the game's trophies. Serves me right for looking up all the school quiz answer, I guess.

Also, is it just me or does Sojiro's SL seem to take longer than everyone else's? Each rank takes three meetings (two no-progress ones) even with a Hierophant Persona.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Yosuke
gets lots of time to shine in the various group events through the game like planning ahead the swimsuits for Yukiko/Chie during the camping trip or tricking the girls into the beauty pagent. Ryuji could only dream of being half as clever as Yosuke

And Ryuji doesn't get credit for that since the whole team together realizes that they got wrapped up in the hype. It also doesn't forgive the fact he actively causes them more problems for the group then he does in coming up with solutions

So Yosuke's a top class pervert, is what you're saying.

Just saw a pretty major spoiler in a Eurogamer article about the game's trophies. Serves me right for looking up all the school quiz answer, I guess.

Also, is it just me or does Sojiro's SL seem to take longer than everyone else's? Each rank takes three meetings (two no-progress ones) even with a Hierophant Persona.

How far in are you? It gets to a point where it's blocked until you complete more of the story.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Also, is it just Sojiro's SL seem to take longer than everyone else's? Each rank takes three meetings (two no-progress ones) even with a Hierophant Persona.

His SL gets story gated till late August-ish, his first 3 levels or so take much longer than anyone else so you don't hit it too early.

Bluecondor

I agree that Ryuji is a trope, but at least he fits in the story. I teach at a university and see kids like him around here all the time. The combination of an independent streak and a desire to get out there leads to a lot of over-the-top statements and actions.

For me, the most annoying character in the entire game is Akechi. He is pretentious and condescending to everyone and his dismissal of the Phantom Thieves is based on his half-baked opinion of "justice".

Kids who act like Akechi in real life often get themselves beat up after mouthing off like this at a frat party.

nOoblet16

Yosuke
That's what counts for "interesting arc" now?
U wot mate?

nOoblet16

I agree that Ryuji is a trope, but at least he fits in the story. I teach at a university and see kids like him around here all the time. The combination of an independent streak and a desire to get out there leads to a lot of over-the-top statements and actions.

For me, the most annoying character in the entire game is Akechi. He is pretentious and condescending to everyone and his dismissal of the Phantom Thieves is based on his half-baked opinion of "justice".

Kids who act like Akechi in real life often get themselves beat up after mouthing off like this at a frat party.
Dwelling a bit into spoiler territory there but I agree. Ryuji is fine and he fits in the game alright, but I do hope Atlus drops this habit of walking tropes like Junpei, Yosuke and now Ryuji being the first person you meet.

That's what counts for "interesting arc" now?
U wot mate?

Yeah that's not really a good way to describe Yosuke's character, his arc basically wraps up early on then he's just static clever wannabe playboy the rest of the game. That short arc is still more then Ryuji gets

Sojira Confidant rank 9 and early December spoilers

Mild-mannered investigator:
"To be honest, MC, we looked into your current reputation at school... And it seems there have been no issues whatsoever."

That's hilarious, what drugs are these guys on?
No issues whatsoever? By early December?
Hahaha... Worst investigators ever.

But Futaba called Sojiro "dad" and then he cried and I just forgave P5 everything forever.

What Persona's do you have equipped? You really shouldnt need to use a guide to beat the first palace...I mean this is my first Persona game and I cleared that without a hitch.

Make sure to hit enemies with powers that they are weak to. That will give you an opening for an all out attack.

I have genbu, mokoi, agathion, succubus and pixie. I finally was able to get an ice type after one of the silkies begged during a fight, I was trying to get one for bufu but Ann killed them in one hit so I couldn't do a hold up. Even after learning the normal enemy weaknesses the boss would chunk down so much health that I was forced to spend most turns just trying to heal my other characters while spamming my highest damage attack with the MC. Finally beat the fight with 2/4 party members dead so I assume they got no experience for the fight. Just doesn't seem like I had any way to prepare for it especially considering the more days you spend in the palace the more bonding a skill increasing time you lose out on.

nOoblet16

Yeah that's not really a good way to describe Yosuke's character, his arc basically wraps up early on then he's just static clever wannabe playboy the rest of the game. That short arc is still more then Ryuji gets
I don't think I can agree with that. He gets an arc in first palace, he gets this arc with Morgana. And we are off not counting the Slink story arc.

Papercuts

Speaking of that, I still can't believe they used
SHIBUYA IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET
as their hangout for like 3 months.

Like wat.

Hide in plain sight, next level.

They really should have made a verbal code name for the group itself though.

I don't think I can agree with that. He gets an arc in first palace, he gets this arc with Morgana. And we are off not counting the Slink story arc.

Ryuji shouldn't have even had a persona awakened
his back story is that he was a stupid idiot that wants to punch people

We meet him and he's a stupid idiot that wants to punch people

His persona awakens because he acknowledges he's a stupid idiot that wants to punch people

He remains a stupid idiot that wants to punch people

Like ???

Zephyx

10/29

About to start palace 6 and I have a speculation based on what's happened

Goro is playing them like a fiddle.
Now that I saw his "phantom thief" outfit, I am 99% sure he was the one who shot Okumura given the silhouette's head matches his mask. How he becomes black maybe part of his codename Crow. Whatever he's planning seems to be in line with the SIU guys too. I feel bad though. His design looks cool.

Very excited on how things will unfold though specially on how we will reach the opening sequence. It also looks like Morgana and MC has some counter in mind as there was some discussion that was skipped on purpose.

The exploration music is pretty nice. Can't wait to continue tomorrow.

At about... 30 hours.... in Palace 3..... I think.

Don't have the Guts to show Akihiko's Dad a paper bag in the Airsoft Store.

Don't have the Guts to call Becky.

But I do have the Guts to stand up for my friends and change a very corrupted society because I want to end people's suffering.

Love this game :)

I'm about the same in, just beat the 3rd palace and am awaiting to take exams, all stats are @ 3. I dunno why they suggest the Iwai confidant so early on when it'll take you forever before you can actually a S.Link him?

Vamphuntr

You people are not worthy of Ryuji.

Mishima is the one you deserve.

They were both pretty bad. Ryuji is plain dumb and throws violent tantrums all the time. He's also a big pervert. He keeps's yelling everywhere WE ARE PHANTOM THIEVES and then complain when people figures it out. Mishima is a loser trying to ride on your popularity. His character arc is fairly stupid too
I'm useless as I only work on your website.
No No No you are useful as you are the only one able to work on the website. For some reason there was a bullying story in there that got kind of resolved on it's own

Papercuts

Ryuji shouldn't have even had a persona awakened
his back story is that he was a stupid idiot that wants to punch people

We meet him and he's a stupid idiot that wants to punch people

His persona awakens because he acknowledges he's a stupid idiot that wants to punch people

He remains a stupid idiot that wants to punch people

Like ???

His back story is
that he was a star atlhete of the track team who got that completely ruined when Kamoshida shattered his leg so that all attention would go to the volleyball team instead, and on top of this he spread rumors about his household which is what led to Ryuji punching him.

Yes, he's hotheaded, but that all led up to his persona awakening when he's confronting all of this at once.

I'd agree that if anything they shouldn't keep having someone like Junpei/Yosuke/Ryuji be the first person you encounter when they're a similar archetype but he has way more merit than you're giving him.

Moofers

Regarding the social link meetings: if it tells you "you feel your relationship isn't quite ready to deepen yet" or whatever that message is, does that mean it's pointless to hang out? Should I assume that I either need to grow in stats (guts, proficiency, etc) or advance the story and try again OR are there just times you have to hang out anyway because you need 2-3 "no progress" hangouts in order to get to a more significant meeting where the relationship grows?

Regarding the social link meetings: if it tells you "you feel your relationship isn't quite ready to deepen yet" or whatever that message is, does that mean it's pointless to hang out? Should I assume that I either need to grow in stats (guts, proficiency, etc) or advance the story and try again OR are there just times you have to hang out anyway because you need 2-3 "no progress" hangouts in order to get to a more significant meeting where the relationship grows?
Hang out anyway,give gifts. You need the points

FluxWaveZ

They both suck. All the male party members/confidants o don't care about. Except boss he's the man

I like the brotherhood.
OpUZXIx.jpg
There should have been more scenes between just the three of them instead of shoving Mishima into it.

Kazzy

His SL gets story gated till late August-ish, his first 3 levels or so take much longer than anyone else so you don't hit it too early.

I'm what respect? Would I just be wasting my time interacting with him at a certain point, or is he simply unavailable as a confidant?

After the second dungeon, I've really tried to push everyone's rank along, especially as I've largely been ignoring them, but my heart sinks whenever I get the reminder my rank won't progress for that day. So bad!

Vamphuntr

When you can't progress a social link anymore because of the plot or a stat you don't have it will tell you. On the map the card for that person will also be gray. When it says the relation won't deepen it means that you don't have enough point with that person to level up so you will get a generic event for +2/+3 point instead.

D.Va

Neo Member
This is my first Persona game and I've got to say I'm enjoying it very much. What an absolute joy it is to play. I didn't think I'd like the combat (because I generally hate it in rpgs) but the combat is so fun and made everyone manual instead of automatic unlike when I had started.

I ran into my first issue, though:
I had waited til the very last day to finish up the first Palace, thinking I'd fight the boss and be done with it. But then it tells me I need to go back into the real world and do some stuff - effectively giving me a game over screen. Okay. So I go back a week prior and do it again, and instead finish the palace 2 days before. I get to the end again, and the calling card needs time to be written and sent. This would be fine if I didn't think that it would be sent within the next day (which was the last day) - which it wasn't. I get another game over screen.

I'm kinda frustrated now. What's the optimal time to be finishing up a dungeon? What benefits do you get from ending it way before the deadline? Or does it not matter? I was assuming I needed the entirety of it to build up my stats for a boss fight, but... I don't know? Is it like this for all the palaces? Should I be trying to finish them 3+ days before the deadline?

Despite that, I'm having such a fun time with this game. I really want to get into P4G now, as it was something that I had wanted to play ever since P5 was announced.

Moofers

Hang out anyway,give gifts. You need the points

When you can't progress a social link anymore because of the plot or a stat you don't have it will tell you. On the map the card for that person will also be gray. When it says the relation won't deepen it means that you don't have enough point with that person to level up so you will get a generic event for +2/+3 point instead.
Ok, so those meetings still serve a purpose, you just accumulate points with that specific character and since there's no chart or stat screen for that, it tallies them up behind the scenes?

Thanks! I'm always questioning if I'm spending my time wisely in the game. Everything I do is in the interest of building stats or relationships.

DNAbro

Tried fighting the
Reaper
at level 60 on safety in my NG+. I was doing okay and even got it halfway down but then it used Mamudoon and killed everyone. Just going to use the cheap way lol.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I was coping with this games way too literal translations and keeping of stuff like keikaku all the way up til they translated a VERY OBVIOUS YAKUZA as "mafia". What is even the balance at that point? Your co-workers are putting out games TITLED Yakuza. With better translations nowadays even.

Also they need to greatly assess the calendar system in future games. I still want that daily progression, but it almost feels like the Video rental dudes letting you skip on late fees is someones commentary on "yeah we know this system is broken with all the forced skip afternoons".

I am really enjoying the game, but I can sense that this is a product from 5 years ago that finally managed to stumble out this year. It's visually incredibly polished, but beyond that I can see why the director wanted to skip out onto a whole new franchise.

Moofers

This is my first Persona game and I've got to say I'm enjoying it very much. What an absolute joy it is to play. I didn't think I'd like the combat (because I generally hate it in rpgs) but the combat is so fun and made everyone manual instead of automatic unlike when I had started.

I had waited til the very last day to finish up the first Palace, thinking I'd fight the boss and be done with it. But then it tells me I need to go back into the real world and do some stuff - effectively giving me a game over screen. Okay. So I go back a week prior and do it again, and instead finish the palace 2 days before. I get to the end again, and the calling card needs time to be written and sent. This would be fine if I didn't think that it would be sent within the next day (which was the last day) - which it wasn't. I get another game over screen.

I'm kinda frustrated now. What's the optimal time to be finishing up a dungeon? What benefits do you get from ending it way before the deadline? Or does it not matter? I was assuming I needed the entirety of it to build up my stats for a boss fight, but... I don't know? Is it like this for all the palaces? Should I be trying to finish them 3+ days before the deadline?

Despite that, I'm having such a fun time with this game. I really want to get into P4G now, as it was something that I had wanted to play ever since P5 was announced.

Always complete dungeons as soon as possible, preferably in the passing of one in-game day. That will leave you time to spend several days doing other things that let you build stats (guts, knowledge, etc).

You should finish a dungeon as soon as possible usually the first 2-3 days, it will always take at minimum of two days as you have to leave the palace to "send a calling card"

Do you have an earlier save? It looks like you might to start over...

Top Bottom