• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

cj_iwakura

Tae's story was rather well done, touching, and gave her a lot of character. Pity the romance wasn't better though. Goro is crap though, don't understand his popularity at all.

Tae really had a weak romance, though her arrival at the cafe was fantastic. Especially when Sojiro's like 'oh. oh. eeeeeey. Bye.'.

Oh you know how it goes

"Women want him, and men want to be him"

But you know, I think there's a 3rd party who loves just how much a lovable dork he is
I don't even hate him. I just think that he's only alive because he had to recruit Makoto. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of women that want Makoto as well...which brings me to my next question. What's the deal with the Makoto x Ann ship?

PK Gaming

I don't even hate him. I just think that he's only alive because he had to recruit Makoto. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of women that want Makoto as well...which brings me to my next question. What's the deal with the Makoto x Ann ship?

16PHOY6.png

So like, P5 is embarrassingly hetero but people really liked that scene between them. It was a sweet scene where Joker was literally nowhere to be found (or mentioned!), and they managed to become friends. It just kind of took off from there I guess. I don't blame them; the game trips over itself to make these girls like you, so the prospect of the characters liking people who aren't Joker is revolutionary. 100% not a thing, though.

This is incidentally why Futaba x Yusuke is godlike.

Lynx_7

They just released the entire list with polls for scenes, favorite personas, etc.

Here are Japan's favorite non-confidant characters:

Lala Escargot (159 votes)
Lavenza (158 votes)
Shiho Suzui (146 votes)
Masayoshi Shido (80 votes)
Newspaper Club Member (79 votes)
Suguru Kamoshida (64 votes)
Mr. Hiruta (54 votes)
Young Rocker (24 votes)
Mika (18 votes)
Old Man at the Bathhouse (17 votes)
President Tanaka (17 votes)
Junya Kaneshiro (16 votes)
Ichiryusai Madarame (16 votes)
Real Igor (15 votes)
Scruffy Romantic & Beefy Trendsetter (14 votes)

It's great that even Japan likes Lala and doesn't care for the two awful stereotypes.

Lynx_7

Doesn't that imply the opposite? They made the list...

I was under the impression those were pretty much it, but I guess there are still a few absent npcs like foreign barker, so you may be right. Still, I'll take a small victory over them being in the top 10 or something :p

16PHOY6.png

So like, P5 is embarrassingly hetero but people really liked that scene between them. It was a sweet scene where Joker was literally nowhere to be found (or mentioned!), and they managed to become friends. It just kind of took off from there I guess. I don't blame them; the game trips over itself to make these girls like you, so the prospect of the characters liking people who aren't Joker is revolutionary. 100% not a thing, though.

I'm not complaining. I also tend to see Makoto x Haru stuff as well...all is fine. Futaba x Yusuke is pretty cute though. They're both all kinds of socially awkward.
I love that newspaper girl made top 5.
I was actually expecting her to be a social link when I first saw her. Was expecting a newspaper club social link.

16PHOY6.png

The way ann was written one could make an argument that she was bi. The way she acts about Shiho was to me at least, borderline romantic. She was willing to do anything for her, and even in his confidant
it came off more as you being a replacement for her, rather then falling for you romantically.

If they ever added a femaleMC, i'd say ann could be a good option for a romance confidant.

FxY is glorious though. They way they rub on each other is just amazing.

Ugh, Akechi. I hate him, but I can't say I'm surprised. At least Tae is best confidant girl and Yoshida, Sae and Chihaya made the top 10 as well.

Pretty happy with Makoto and Yusuke at nr 2 and 3, respectively. Definitely my favorite phantom thieves. And as much as I like Lala, I do think Newspaper Girl should be NPC nr 1. But at least she's there in the first place, which is a nice surprise. Only one I'm missing is that homeless guy from the underground walkway at Shibuya. I liked talking to him during the day and saying goodbye to him at the end of the game was surprisingly touching.

Futaba and Yusuke have such great chemistry.

Sayers

So how likely is the theoretical Persona 5: Crimson everybody jokes about? I am thinking about making a go at the platinum trophy for this game but I don't want to burn myself out on the game if an updated re-release is coming in the near future.

Lynx_7

It's not really a joke, but rather an expectation. Best bet right now is to wait for TGS. If they don't announce it there, then I'd assume it's still a fair ways off.

There's really no way of knowing for sure. On one hand, FES released less than a year after P3. On the other hand, P4 Golden took 4 years, so we could be looking at anywhere between "very soon" to "so far away you might as well just go for it now if you feel like it". So it's pretty much a question of "when" rather than "will they".

Milijango

Seeing that popularity list just makes me realise how much of the game I completely glossed over in the interest of maxing my confidants.

I mean fuck Tanaka was in the game? I even bought the laptop but didn't remember to fix it...

Nictel

What

At the very least Life Will Change and Rivers in the Desert are guaranteed classics. I think the OST will hold up fine compared to the other two, specially if the rerelease adds new tracks to space them out better.

I also think they need to reconsider OST usage in some scenes. There was a particular moment towards the end of Palace
that used one of those confidant sad scene tracks and it completely clashed with the tone. The battle that preceded said scene also deserved to debut a new battle theme instead of reusing the generic boss themes. It's bad placement more than anything else that hurts the ost.

Maybe it needs to grow on me. Life Will Chance and Beneath The Mask I really like.

I agree there, sometimes the music doesn't jump into the upbeat section on a All Out Attack and that lessens it somewhat

Dantis

I always find it a little ironic when people say the OST needs more tracks because it pretty much had double that of P4 and P3.
No it doesn't. The majority of those tracks are tiny score pieces written for the animated scenes.
It has around the same number of 'actual' tracks as previous games.

Finally got to rewatch the events after the sixth palace, where
Akechi "murders" you. I decided to view the bad ending since I successfully avoided it in my first run, and was a little disappointed that they just straight up reveal Akechi is the traitor that way. I like if you manage to avoid the bad end, all the little pieces with your character's missing memories starts to fall into place and paints Akechi in a different light. Definitely would have lessened the impact of that if I had seen the bad ending my first time playing.

cheez124

Finally got Passionate Listener. Knocked out the book, hostage, and crafting trophies too. So close to getting that platinum
Gah, they're so good together
Huh, this would explain how (lategame spoilers)
Shido's calling card was made, since cameras don't work in the Metaverse. I guess they did end up making real-world outfits.

I agree though, they're a great pairing.

ckohler

Gah, they're so good together

Yep. The game definitely makes them a fun pair.

Shido's calling card was made, since cameras don't work in the Metaverse. I guess they did end up making real-world outfits.

Good point! I hadn't even thought of that.

Btw, I'm almost near the end of my NG+. I've only got two trophies left to get before I get my Platinum. Just need to collect those last two treasure demons.

Finally got Passionate Listener. Knocked out the book, hostage, and crafting trophies too. So close to getting that platinum

Same, I only have a handful more to collect and then I'll finally be done.

And I'm contemplating doing yet another run just so I can mess around in.

I agree though, they're a great pairing.

I'm really happy i got passionate listener on my first play through. Think I'm you g to save the plat run for sometime in Nov or dec. Too many games.

yrba1

In the depths of Mementos now. It's really tilting when you die midway through the 2nd half of the dungeon only to start over

cheez124

Having a high level Arsene to use in NG+ is pretty nice. Took on (lategame boss spoiler)
Akechi
solo with him which was cool, although it took two attempts since he hit me with despair on the first one lol

Interestingly, they even account for you still having him during the palace 6 escape. Palace 6 spoilers:
When he appears to you before fighting Moloch, he normally reintroduces himself to you, but if you already have him with you he skips that part and goes to the rest of his dialogue. It's not much, but it's nice that they accounted for that.

Could use some help here.

I'm at
the final fight against the holy grail thing. My main team is basically out of SP at this point. Am I fucked? Is there anyway to restore SP at this point? The climb up here was a real bitch. Also the Grail does this Eternal Light attack, what's the best way to survive it?

I'm at
the final fight against the holy grail thing. My main team is basically out of SP at this point. Am I fucked? Is there anyway to restore SP at this point? The climb up here was a real bitch. Also the Grail does this Eternal Light attack, what's the best way to survive it?

Do you have any soul items or somas? Vegetables from Haru's garden? Those are you're main items for restoring SP in battle. Otherwise I would highly suggest buying SP adhesives, The Holy Grail is only the first phase.

PK Gaming

I'm at

You can go back and recover SP with La Senza. If you're having trouble surviving his attacks, then you need to go harder on damage control. Using Makoto (Marakukaja)
+ Ann (Matarunda) should help quite a bit in that regard. Debilitate with Joker practically trivializes it if you have it. Ann is also good because of Mind Charge, and Ryuji does a ridiculous amount of damage with Power Charge.

You can go back and recover SP with La Senza. If you're having trouble surviving his attacks, then you need to go harder on damage control. Using Makoto (Marakukaja)
+ Ann (Matarunda) should help quite a bit in that regard. Debilitate with Joker practically trivializes it if you have it. Ann is also good because of Mind Charge, and Ryuji does a ridiculous amount of damage with Power Charge.
By La Senza I assume you mean the little girl in the Velvet Room? Didn't realize she could do that. I do use Ann, Ryuji, and Makoto, so I have access to all of those skills, except my MC doesn't have debilitate. Thanks for the tips, hopefully I can just restore SP and get through the fight.

SlickVic

Felt almost surreal to finally see the credits finally roll last night. I've been slowly chipping away at the game over the past 4 months when I had free time (ended up with ~130 hours played), and I got so used to hanging out with Confidants, clearing Palaces, and completing Mementos requests. Started to feel as if playing the game was just a routine part of my life over these past few months. Now that I reached the end, almost feels like something is missing now. Perhaps a strange thing to say about a video game, but it certainly was a memorable journey for me, and I'm glad I got to play it.

This was actually the first Persona game where I managed to max out all the Social Links, which was pretty neat. Really wasn't expecting I'd be able to, and it just sort of fell into place.
I thought it was a nice moment towards the end of the game to see all your confidants display how much they've 'grown' by helping to get you released. I also loved the bittersweet moment at the end of the game letting you say one final goodbye to every available confidant. It's one of those things that instantly made me realize how much so many of these characters had grown on me through the course of the game, and it just felt important to make sure I got to see each one, one last time.

I'm actually tempted to do a second playthrough at some point (which is not something I typically think about for longer games like this), but it will have to wait for now. P5 definitely got me in the mood for another RPG, so next up for me is Tales of Berseria. Looking forward to embarking on a new journey.

Soar

Felt almost surreal to finally see the credits finally roll last night..[snip].

Same feelings here when I finished it. I went out and bought a second hand vita straight away to play P4G. Now that I've finished that too, I'm quite content to just stop playing jrpgs for awhile and start NG+ on P5 in a bit.

Ostinatto

I´m in F
utaba´s
palace, i´m in that last floor just before the boss, i went straight to the boss, i didnt explored that place, did i missed something important?

another thing, after i killed that boss, i have some options,
to go and tell Sojiro Sakura or not about Futaba.
is this important?

Lynx_7

It's only been a few days since I've beaten P5 and I already feel the urge to jump into NG+. I think this is a first for me as I usually just beat a game and then move on to other titles. Hell, I usually struggle replaying much shorter games with significant NG+ content (hello Devil Survivor). Maybe it's because I'm so close to the platinum trophy. Just missing a few inconsequential trophies (like read all books and unlock all spots) and the bonus bosses/compedium. I think I might as well just go for it, my backlog be damned.

Now that I've finished the game, I can finally post in here without fear of spoilers.

I may hold some kind of really sad record for the longest time to beat P5. Almost 271 hours. This was on Hard, but still. I beat P3: FES with full completion and that was only about 135 hours, so I don't know, I can't figure it out. I was planning to start a NG+ immediately after so I can hear the JP audio and finish the many social links I didn't have time to finish, but I'm so exhausted from those dungeons I need to take a break.

PK Gaming

It's only been a few days since I've beaten P5 and I already feel the urge to jump into NG+. I think this is a first for me as I usually just beat a game and then move on to other titles. Hell, I usually struggle replaying much shorter games with significant NG+ content (hello Devil Survivor). Maybe it's because I'm so close to the platinum trophy. Just missing a few inconsequential trophies (like read all books and unlock all spots) and the bonus bosses/compedium. I think I might as well just go for it, my backlog be damned.

I might consider just forcibly holding yourself back from playing. Otherwise, you might burnt out on a NG+. If you're really in the mood for some phantom thievin, then go right ahead!

Now that I've finished the game, I can finally post in here without fear of spoilers.

I may hold some kind of really sad record for the longest time to beat P5. Almost 271 hours. This was on Hard, but still. I beat P3: FES with full completion and that was only about 135 hours, so I don't know, I can't figure it out. I was planning to start a NG+ immediately after so I can hear the JP audio and finish the many social links I didn't have time to finish, but I'm so exhausted from those dungeons I need to take a break.

Oh you played on Hard. That... sort of explains it. I bet you died a ton and had to suffer some obnoxious restarts.

Skii

Did anyone finish the first dungeon on their first day in?

Ive got 0 SP on everyone and am really struggling to continue. I think Im on the 3F. Only reason Im hesitant is because in previous games you want to complete dungeons in one day to have enough time for social links.

Lynx_7

Oh you played on Hard. That... sort of explains it. I bet you died a ton and had to suffer some obnoxious restarts.
I played on Hard too and it still took me "only" 190 hours (which is already the lengthiest time I've ever spent on a first playthrough of a single player game lol), so I dunno. I'm a really slow player too. Unless he played like, without using fast travel at all and exploring the whole city after each story beat? I could see that adding up a lot of playtime.

I might consider just forcibly holding yourself back from playing. Otherwise, you might burnt out on a NG+. If you're really in the mood for some phantom thievin, then go right ahead!

I'm kinda conflicted right now, because I really want to replay it for the japanese voices, the
Velvet Twins bonus boss fight
, and I could also give Merciless mode a shot. The idea of doing a more "laid back" playthrough, without really worrying about maxing confidants and stuff is also appealing to me as I could just mess around with the activities I didn't bother with in my first playthrough, like 70% of the invitations. On the other hand I just ordered a PS TV and it should arrive here this week or the next, so I could play P4 Golden instead to satiate my thirst for more Persona. It'd be my first time replaying P4 in nearly a decade, and with lots of new content to boot... But I really want that P5 platinum lol

It's a good dilemma to be stuck in, I guess. :p

Arrrammis

Did anyone finish the first dungeon on their first day in?

Ive got 0 SP on everyone and am really struggling to continue. I think Im on the 3F. Only reason Im hesitant is because in previous games you want to complete dungeons in one day to have enough time for social links.

It's really difficult to get through the dungeons in 1 day on your first playthrough because of SP, you eventually can get items to help with your SP but that comes later on. If you want to get as far as you can, save in every safe room and just melee/gun enemies and use whatever items you find to heal. Otherwise, don't worry too much, the confidants that you have unlocked at the start give you plenty of time to rank up.

If you want to have an easier time leveling confidants, get the Fortune confidant to rank 7 as soon as you can, since you get a perk that really comes in handy. (This character doesn't pop up for a while yet, but just wanted to give a tip before hand).

Top Bottom