• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

I only remember her saying that she lived in Finland? Also Ann(e) (localization dropped the e, but that is her name still in on the Japanese P5 site) Takamäki is actually a Finnish name, and her appearance is stereotype Nordic.
I thought she said she lived in England too

Dantis

That last sentence is the part that breaks it.

P5's twist here is better to me than any surprise P4 had.

The twist itself is pretty lame, but completely bonkers way it goes down is really good. It was very cool.

P4 wasn't really about twists though. The personal moments in P4 hit way higher for me than anything in P5. Things like Kanji talking about
his dad telling him he needs to be strong when he was on his deathbed, and how he misinterpreted it
, is way more affecting than the weird power trips that P5 is made up of.

I feel like P5 is the better game, P4 is the better experience.

Though I am yet to finish P5 in English, so there's that.

DNAbro

The twist itself is pretty lame, but completely bonkers way it goes down is really good. It was very cool.

P4 wasn't really about twists though. The personal moments in P4 hit way higher for me than anything in P5. Things like Kanji talking about
his dad telling him he needs to be strong when he was on his deathbed, and how he misinterpreted it

That's probably the best way to describe my feelings after finishing it.

cheesekao

Does anyone know the ins and outs of the hold-up mechanics with regards to money: does the amount scale with the party's level/progress in the story? Your currently equipped persona? The level shadow you're holding up? linked to a specific Confidant? or randomised.
The amount a shadow gives is random but generally speaking, the higher the level, the more money they give. Some shadows also give less than others so you need to take note which shadow you shouldn't bother extorting. For confidants, there's a confidant perk that allows you to extort money more than once at the risk of them calling in reinforcements or cancelling the hold up. There's also another perk which grants you more money than usual but that cannot stack with the previous skill as it'll end the battle.

Also, from what I've heard, Luck affects how much money a confused monster will drop. However, I don't know if that applies to extortions.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Back in the first dungeon, every time we got to a save room, Morgana would be like "it's still a long ways to go," and generally manage expectations of dungeon length pretty well. Fast-forward to the fifth dungeon, and "the treasure is right behind that door" every time there's a door. An hour and five doors later, the treasure is still right behind that door.

C'mon no real names in public!! Meow

mrmickfran

Teacher: What is the name of the phenomenon where the second hand on a clock looks like it stops moving?

Answer choice: The World

I'm so done

The amount a shadow gives is random but generally speaking, the higher the level, the more money they give. Some shadows also give less than others so you need to take note which shadow you shouldn't bother extorting. For confidants, there's a confidant perk that allows you to extort money more than once at the risk of them calling in reinforcements or cancelling the hold up. There's also another perk which grants you more money than usual but that cannot stack with the previous skill as it'll end the battle.

Also, from what I've heard, Luck affects how much money a confused monster will drop. However, I don't know if that applies to extortions.

Ah, thanks! I knew about the repeated demand perk from just following up on confidants, but until this point I always played it safe and went either for the kill or acquiring the persona so I wasn't sure.

cheesekao

Ah, thanks! I knew about the repeated demand perk from just following up on confidants, but until this point I always played it safe and went either for the kill or acquiring the persona so I wasn't sure.
FYI, you can perform an All-Out-Attack after extorting a shadow so make use of that if you have that perk.

Szadek

21 days for extra stuff.
Then I still have a sight chance of finishing them all (but probably not).
I'm at 11/2 and still need 51 rank ups (not counting the 5 that don't take time).

My biggest foe right now is my guts stat. It's still at 4 and tested how long it would to get ot to 5 and it's not looking good.
I already maxed death, too, so that it isn't an option either.
It really sucks that there is on one confidant that rasises that stat.

My profiance is also only at 4, but it's only 3-5 point away from 5 and I can get most of them hanging out with Hanged Man.

FYI, you can perform an All-Out-Attack after extorting a shadow so make use of that if you have that perk.

That doesn't cancel out the extortion? Nice!

I saw that as a get-out clause if you didn't want to risk leaving yourself open to the shadow rejecting the hold-up.

cheesekao

I seem to be upping everything BUT kindness. How do I up kindness?
Work at the flower shop
Watch a movie
Watch a DVD
Read a book
Do the Tower S-link
Feed your plant fertilizer
Pick the appropriate item (steak) on the diner menu

That doesn't cancel out the extortion? Nice!

I saw that as a get-out clause if you didn't want to risk leaving yourself open to the shadow rejecting the hold-up.
You can basically extort money once with zero risk and kill them all after that for maximum profit so yeah. Of course, if your All-Out-Attack doesn't kill them all you still have to continue the battle.

CHC

Hit a couple of bad localization lines when I'd say 95% of the time it's been good. Surprise, one of them was Sae. I wonder if different members worked on different characters? She talked about "cognitive psience". I mean maybe that's intentional but strange.

The other was Makoto saying they need to "talk to (char name) once" instead of at once.

Sae has some definite word soup going on at times, the first big interrogation scene I did a few double takes.

Then I still have a sight chance of finishing them all (but probably not).
I'm at 11/2 and still need 51 rank ups (not counting the 5 that don't take time).

My biggest foe right now is my guts stat. It's still at 4 and tested how long it would to get ot to 5 and it's not looking good.
I already maxed death, too, so that it isn't an option either.
It really sucks that there is on one confidant that rasises that stat.

My profiance is also only at 4, but it's only 3-5 point away from 5 and I can get most of them hanging out with Hanged Man.

I have everything at lvl 5, but I got in time trouble with Hanged and Hermit, also need 1 last rank up for Ann. Hope I can even it out.
At 11/10 atm.

Jintor

11/26

So... can I send the calling card now and still get until Dec 18, or do I need to wait until deadline? I was hoping it'd be like the last palace.

I seem to be upping everything BUT kindness. How do I up kindness?

I hit a plateau at 3 for kindness without too much thought, are you regularly treating that plant you have in your room? Also I just opted into the florist job once work was an option, which really helped and just focused on that since the convenience store doesn't net you anything but cash, and I was already doing other stuff to boost proficiency so I never focused on the food service Jon.

Szadek

I have everything at lvl 5, but I got in time trouble with Hanged and Hermit, also need 1 last rank up for Ann. Hope I can even it out.
At 11/10 atm.
I have 6 different tabs open with different guids and I made a schedule for when to spent time with who.
Let's fucking do this!

Jintor

11/26
So... I guess I'm okay with the final run here (barring
another hidden true ending at the last mile), but can anyone confirm if I get the days until the 18th of December if I finish this run now?

cheesekao

Another way to raise up kindness is hanging out with Sojiro.
That's only half true. He has a lvl 5 kindless gate at some point so whatever kindess he gives after that is pointless.

11/26
So... I guess I'm okay with the final run here (barring
another hidden true ending at the last mile), but can anyone confirm if I get the days until the 18th of December if I finish this run now?
Yes you do.

_Ryo_

80 hours in and only completed 5 palaces. Is this bad?

I'm in late October. 10/29

Also I've only completed 3 confidants which aren't automatic ones. :X Sun, Death (Romantic) and Temperance (Platonic)

I prefer walking to places if I can rather than using the quick menu so that may add up to the extra hours. No excuse for the confidants though.

Otherwise, I've enjoyed it a lot.

Soma

one of my favorite little details i've noticed is how Justine gets annoyed with you if you flip through the compendium menu quick enough and interrupt her speaking.

"you lack patience"/"such rudeness"

Futaba's Moral Support is so good. Bless this nerd.

Indeed, she, Makoto and - thus far Haru, have all really surprised me in how much I've taken a shine to them. I avoided any spoilers since the second trailer so I had a pre-build perception of what they'd be like: a lot more cliched than what I eventually got. Is it me or are their Confidant - Futaba's in particular - storylines also a whole lot more engaging than party members from the previous games?

nOoblet16

I mean, it does happen. I have light hair/blue eyes and neither of my parents do.
That's because you got those indirectly from your grandparents or their parents. Basically the recessive genes existed somewhere in both sides of your family and even if they were dormant for your parents, they were there and they surfaced for you. But if even one side of your family lacked it completely then you wouldn't have any recessive features. Like I am North Indian, if I were to have a half white kid, they can be light eyed but blonde/ginger hair is just impossible. My kid's kid on the other hand, can be blonde/ginger. All this is ofcourse not counting genetic misfires, had a guy in my school who was 100% Indian but looked white with blonde hair...Poor dude used to get mocked so much.

I only remember her saying that she lived in Finland? Also Ann(e) (localization dropped the e, but that is her name still in on the Japanese P5 site) Takamäki is actually a Finnish name, and her appearance is stereotype Nordic.
The developers have said she is a "quarter American" a person can be American and still have Nordic ancestry. She says in a conversation something like "back then I was still in Finland" but she also says that she kept moving. Plus it is implied that she speaks English because she grew up in an English speaking place...Finland isn't that.

One way to make sense is her "quarter American" side is basically an Finnish American. That would explain living in Finland for a bit, speaking English, being "quarter American" and her surname.

I thought she said she lived in England too
The guy you quoted said Finland.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

See, the problem with that example for me is that p4 completely fucks up with how they handled kanji in the main story. Such a finally inconsistent piece.

one of my favorite little details i've noticed is how Justine gets annoyed with you if you flip through the compendium menu quick enough and interrupt her speaking.

"you lack patience"/"such rudeness"
Yeah I only noticed that one yesterday. It's great.

cheesekao

Does someone know the dates for Sabtaoge/Full Sabotage?
Can't find them online.
I can't help you there but my advice is to save your books for those moments. Reading books outside of sabotage/train moments is a waste of time from what I've experienced.

Got to Rank 4 Knowledge before July exams. Spent my time where I should be studying dicking around town. Step it up Ryuji.

Ryuji and Ann are so hopeless throughout the game.

I had 4 knowledge in the July exams too and got into the top 10 of the class. Fast forward, I managed to be the top of the class in the next semester exams with 5 knowledge. But unfortunately for MC, everyone in the class still couldn't see him as a diligent student and get surprised every time he answered a question with the right answer.

"It seems that he's not a deliquent after all."

RPGCrazied

Finally done with dungeon 5. Least favorite by far, but I did like the dungeon music. It was too long, and the last boss was the most annoying fight in the entire game so far.

Some details I really appreciated.

HUGE ENDGAME SPOILERS

There are some real gut punches at the end here, especially if you've played the series before. Saving Igor and Lavenza and having your harsh treatment in the Velvet Room be totally reversed into a compassionate relationship. Helping your party remember what they started this for and reminding everyone about the value of persistence in the face of injustice. Having your party appear in the Velvet Room was pretty cool. And walking back into the Velvet Room to fuse--what was before harsh treatment by Caroline or unemotional business by Justine is now a familiar, gentle glance toward Lavenza as you walk through the door together.

I played through this part late at night and actually got a little misty. Just the
final, FINAL, Day of Reckoning heist to do now.

ShadyK54

Got to Rank 4 Knowledge before July exams. Spent my time where I should be studying dicking around town. Step it up Ryuji.

I did the same thing lol. I should've just gone ahead & finished his link since I have it at 8 but studies came first. ohwell.jpg

Top Bottom