• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Preview Thread

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The other 'issue' is that they only cite vague 'polish and improvements' as the reason for a 7 week delay. Despite that, the press already has copies as of February?

Obviously, stuff could change from review --> Gold and disc printing, and apparently Atlus has been pretty good about getting stuff to the press to review a good ways out.....

But while I don't think Dual Audio is the reason for the delay, I don't think 'polish and improvements to the VA/voiced scenes' is the only rationale for the delay, either.
Shitload of games releasing in Feb. It was wise to delay to a date that didn't have so many high profile games on release.

FluxWaveZ

Shitload of games releasing in Feb. It was wise to delay to a date that didn't have so many high profile games on release.

With the assumption that those games would intersect with the Persona 5 audience. At some point, if the claim is going to be the game is not meant to be initially targeted to mainstream audiences (which people have used as an argument to justify the lack of widespread marketing), it becomes counterproductive to have the hardcore fans who have been waiting particularly for that game to be made to wait even longer.

You know, since they delayed this game a fuck ton of times, maybe give us a little treat and make it 4k on Pro, pretty please?

Maybe the inevitable P5 fes/Golden/GotY/Apoc/DLC/SomethingSomething version will.

I don't meant that in the cynical sense, I'll be happy to buy it again anyway. Gotta support games like this, I don't want turn based rpgs to die off completely.

2017 continues to deliver.

So here's a cool new IP from Guerrilla in Horizon Zero Dawn. Up next is Zelda, quite possibly one the best games ever made. After that, we'll give you Mass Effect. Persona 5 is then right around the corner. Here's a new DLC for Uncharted. Oh and don't forget Super Mario Odyssey. And then we'll top it off with Red Dead 2.

And if that's not enough for you, here's Nioh, Nier, Ghost Recon, Destiny 2...

Insane.

And we haven't even seen what's in store for us at E3!

With the assumption that those games would intersect with the Persona 5 audience. At some point, if the claim is going to be the game is not meant to be initially targeted to mainstream audiences (which people have used as an argument to justify the lack of widespread marketing), it becomes counterproductive to have the hardcore fans who have been waiting particularly for that game to be made to wait even longer.

Come on, you don't think there is audience overlap between P5 and Yakuza 0, Nioh, or Zelda? I mean one of those is another huge Sega game! They did the right thing.

FluxWaveZ

Come on, you don't think there is audience overlap between P5 and Yakuza 0, Nioh, or Zelda? I mean one of those is another huge Sega game! They did the right thing.

Yakuza 0 was released on January 24th. Breath of the Wild, on March 3rd. Persona 5 would have been in a month of its own, with Nioh being the one game close to it in your list a week prior. If proximity is an issue, then that issue still persists on April 4th.

The longer the interval has been between the Japanese release, the less buzz the game has had for its English release. Obviously, who knows if this will have any real effect in the end, and a delay very well might have been better for whatever internal reasons motivated it, but that's not to say release schedules would have impacted it at an earlier date, either.

Drewfonse

Can't decide whether or not to get this. I've never played a Persona game before. I do like quirky games, but sometimes it's too much. Like Catherine. I couldn't get through it. I love RPGs, but my interest in JRPGs has waned over the years. The amount of love reserved for these games is making me want to try it.

Well the dlc has been revealed on personacentral. Seems it's going to be slowly released a week after release at cost of $7 for costume. No free costume other than swimwear.

Can't decide whether or not to get this. I've never played a Persona game before. I do like quirky games, but sometimes it's too much. Like Catherine. I couldn't get through it. I love RPGs, but my interest in JRPGs has waned over the years. The amount of love reserved for these games is making me want to try it.

To be fair, Catherine is a very different kind of game. The aesthetic is there from Persona but that's about it. I'd recommend trying P4 (it's on sale now on PS3 for $4.99) to get a feel for the series.

Drewfonse

To be fair, Catherine is a very different kind of game. The aesthetic is there from Persona but that's about it. I'd recommend trying P4 (it's on sale now on PS3 for $4.99) to get a feel for the series.

Not a bad idea.

I guess I don't really understand Persona. Is a lot of the game high school socializing type activities?

Morgana is Toki (and the awesome Airi Ban), and I think Walter's voice actor is someone important, too.

Walter was Matt Mercer who's in this as Yusuke. He was the replacement Kanji in the second half of the anime, Ultimax, and Q as well. People most likely know him from other stuff too; I think he's the highest-profile name in the cast.

Most of the VAs are people who've worked with Atlus before so it's not like they're totally fresh faces. I haven't double-checked but like half of them were in Apocalypse. Akechi is Prompto.

I have kinda mixed thoughts on the VO so far but I don't think it's the actors' fault (it rarely ever is). They're all talented people. Something about the overall direction just feels off to me, and the kinda stilted-sounding dialogue in the trailers doesn't seem to help. I dunno, maybe it'll be better in the game proper, I think they said something about buffing up lines of dialogue or re-recording some of the VO, and context tends to do wonders. I've noticed other people in these threads saying similar things, even when they were big on 3 and 4's, so I guess I'm not the only person who feels kinda wary about it so far. Fingers crossed though.

kurahador

Not a bad idea.

I guess I don't really understand Persona. Is a lot of the game high school socializing type activities?

3 & 4 yes. Socializing with different people --- not just in high school, each with their own stories and all the while you're experiencing your own (weird) adventure yourself.

Not a bad idea.

Yeah. I'd say most people spend more time building Social Links (spending time with classmates) than they do in the actual dungeons. Obviously liking the Social Link aspect is going to depend on whether or not you like the characters, but you can really spend your time in the game however you want. The battle system is still very satisfying in my opinion.

Wait, the press has had it for "weeks"? Why was this game delayed again? I mean my backlog is bursting at the seems but it'll be kicked the curb without remorse for Persona. I can't complain since all these games are amazing, but I'd gladly put them all on suspend for some P5 action.

Yakuza 0 was released on January 24th. Breath of the Wild, on March 3rd. Persona 5 would have been in a month of its own, with Nioh being the one game close to it in your list a week prior. If proximity is an issue, then that issue still persists on April 4th.

If you're only talking about release date, then yes, but many people I saw in the Yakuza OT bought the game long after Jan 24. I think it has built on word-of-mouth, but if there was another big RPG during that time would it have gotten the same buzz? Releasing in April means that Persona 5 has that long tail of sales relatively to itself, and Yakuza got its own buzz.

Yes, it's another month of wait, but speaking personally I have my hands full with great games already. I can wait a bit longer.

Servbot24

Banned
When does the review embargo lift?

I'd like to pre-order this, but only after reading reviews.

Not sure about the embargo, but the Japanese version has been out for a long time so there are impressions available from that.
it's really really REALLY good

Papacheeks

Banned
Steelbook version pre-orderd and paid for already. Just waiting to pick that baby up and get lost in it for a few months.

Yea, looked at the Steelbook, looking sexy as Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Going to preorder that tonight.

Question to you or anyone who has any experience with persona series, do I need to know what happened in previous games or can I jump in as a noobie?

Tjamato88

Pre-ordered the steelbook on Amazon but considering cancelling and getting it digitally. Is any of the PS4 DLC worth it?

Drewfonse

3 & 4 yes. Socializing with different people --- not just in high school, each with their own stories and all the while you're experiencing your own (weird) adventure yourself.

Yeah. I'd say most people spend more time building Social Links (spending time with classmates) than they do in the actual dungeons. Obviously liking the Social Link aspect is going to depend on whether or not you like the characters, but you can really spend your time in the game however you want. The battle system is still very satisfying in my opinion.

Good info, thanks. I might just get this.

For those that finished the game, I have a question for you.

P3P is the only persona game that I played and I finished it on very easy.
Generally, I'm not that good in those kind of games and I heard that Persona games tend to be a lot grindy on normal and above.
I found easy to be quite fair actually. I didn't have to grind at all, I just killed all the enemies in the dungeon for the specific day and that was enough.
I even had some deaths because I was careless, so even on very easy you can lose if you're not careful :p.

So on what difficulty do you recommend me playing P5 when it comes out?
Is very easy appropriate again or is the game generally less grindy than their predecessors?

sora87

Is 2017 shaping up to be the greatest gaming year of all time? I think so.

For me it definitely is, nearly every fortnight a game has come out that I've been hyped for and now there's Breath of the Wild and Persona 5 within a month of each other, both two of my most anticipated games of all time. What a brilliant period we're currently in right now.

Nightbird

Well the dlc has been revealed on personacentral. Seems it's going to be slowly released a week after release at cost of $7 for costume. No free costume other than swimwear.

Of course that is one they are giving away for free -.-

(not a fan of swimsuits in JRPG's. At least currently not)

Playsage

Man, even if Zelda is most likely going to be declared 2017 GOTY, the fight for Top 10 is already insane... And first trimester still has to end!

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
For those that finished the game, I have a question for you.

P3P is the only persona game that I played and I finished it on very easy.
Generally, I'm not that good in those kind of games and I heard that Persona games tend to be a lot grindy on normal and above. I found easy to be quite fair actually. I didn't have to grind at all, I just killed all the enemies in the dungeon for the specific day and that was enough. I even had some deaths because I was careless, so even on very easy you can lose if you're not careful :p.

So on what difficulty do you recommend me playing P5 when it comes out?
Is very easy appropriate again or is the game generally less grindy than their predecessors?

I'd recommend playing on Normal. You should be able to make it through the entire game without grinding at all on it, and they game actively takes steps to prevent you from grinding anyway. The handcrafted dungeons make a world of difference to the game design.
There's really no reason not to at least try Normal, since you can change the difficulty at any point in the game, so if things seem like they're too grindy, you can just change it. But I'd recommend starting on Normal at the very least and giving it a go, since I just can't see the game being a whole lot of fun on a lower difficulty.

There's no way this doesn't at least average the same metascore as Persona 4 Golden, right guys?

It'll be close. It'll need quite a few 10/10s like P4G got. It's off to a good start though. There's two reviews that I'm aware of:

Gamer.nl: 9/10

Gamekult: 9/10

For what it's worth, those are import reviews, so I don't know if those count on Metacritic or if Metacritic is even aware of the reviews.

Of course that is one they are giving away for free -.-

(not a fan of swimsuits in JRPG's. At least currently not)

Really wanted the Catherine dlc to be the free one. Might actually buy a decent amount of the costume dlc but doubt I will bother with any of the persona dlc.

Finally got round to reading the OP. Sounds very encouraging, especially that Kotaku snippet about this game being in the same league as the new Zelda. Expect gushing reviews and another Goty contender.

Top Bottom