• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

I'm so tempted to buy the Steelbook edition via Amazon Prime, but at the same time I do have some games I want to trade in at gamestop to buy it a cheaper price.

Also, how similar or different is this to Tokyo Mirage Sessions? I loved the battle system in that game but the overworld/dungeons were a bit lacking. Thanks!
Steelbook is just a fancier game case. In my experience, just goes on my shelf and is never looked at again.

TMS is a fine game, and I say this with great affection for it, but it's through a b-tier effort from Atlus and this is their a-team at the top of their game.

Chances are you'll feel like this is a bigger budget, more intriguing, well thought out version of a lot of the concepts from TMS.

So is it clear how the first name/last name format works, this time around? I remember messing it up in Persona 4 :(
They explicitly label given name vs family name in this one.

Scrawnton

I didn't want to read reviews because of spoilers, but I have one question about the game. Does the sickness mechanic from Persona 3 show up in this game preventing you from grinding or is it like Persona 4 where you can spend as much time in a dungeon as you want?

You can spoiler tag your answer incase others think it's a spoiler to know so.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't want to read reviews because of spoilers, but I have one question about the game. Does the sickness mechanic from Persona 3 show up in this game preventing you from grinding or is it like Persona 4 where you can spend as much time in a dungeon as you want?

You can spoiler tag your answer incase others think it's a spoiler to know so.

There's no sickness or similar mechanic, but your SP running out will mean you may have to leave eventually. There are accessories you can buy to circumvent that though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
played this for like 2.5 hours straight last night - which is a lot for me

FUCK this is clean. music, art style, voice acting.

i cant wait to be hungover this wknd when its raining out and play this all damn day

kromeo

I don't see where he looks horrible. Though I had to laugh when people constantly asked who he was supposed to be in another thread and someone suggested it was Promtpto of FFXV, lol.
Come on, that's clearly Link. XD

The whole picture is disgusting, not just link, although I actually thought it was a female Link fanart at first

Kalentan

It's Akira Kurusa (in the manga).

Hm. I think I might use that. Though I'm wondering if they will do the same as Persona 4 where the manga name is different from what the rest of the games/anime do.

Since IIRC, Yu was named Souji Seta in the manga but Yu Narukami everywhere else.

kromeo

Ehh fuck the Reviews because the game is already sold out completely in Hamburg Germany before Release. ;_;

I saw in the UK at least the CE was really slow to sell out, but since the reviews they've suddenly disappeared and the Steelbook edition as well. I think the good reviews will do a lot for this game

TheFatMan

We all know who will be the main GOTYs of 2017

4618e351806eb49065905a551b9fb938.jpg

Maybe add Aloy in there eh? ;)

Audioboxer

Are your prices before or after VAT?

After. VAT is included.

I'm just a typical Cheap Arse GAFer and paying over £40 for a game isn't in my DNA. The glory days of £17.99~24.99 shortly after release are largely gone, but £30~35 is still obtainable fairly quick for most games.

>£40 is becoming more and more of the normal RRP, though. Yakuza 0 is still =>£40. Physical copies of Yakuza 3/4 were like <=£14.99 fairly quickly in the PS3 days of them not selling.

Brexit is probably aiding in the inflated prices for everything.

I saw in the UK at least the CE was really slow to sell out, but since the reviews they've suddenly disappeared and the Steelbook edition as well. I think the good reviews will do a lot for this game

As much as most may want to chalk this up to success, I'd actually say it is VERY poor on behalf of Team Persona and Atlus that they've seriously under shipped and a fricking game is OOS before launch. Not just the CE, but the actual game being OOS.

Ohhh yeah, Zavvi dispatched order yesterday with tracking.

You know I'm tracking that s**t all day like a dirty stalker while working. Looks like it's getting here tomorrow. The wait is so painful.

Zakalwe

Banned
I asked before but no answer: does Amazon UK ever ship the pre-orders early?

I have a day off on Monday so it would be amazing to get this a day early...

kromeo

come on shopto, sort it out D:

I might not get it until after release day if they're not planning on shipping until Monday :( Only reason I used them instead of Amazon was the chance of getting it early lol

I asked before but no answer: does Amazon UK ever ship the pre-orders early?

I have a day off on Monday so it would be amazing to get this a day early...

I've been using Amazon for as long as they've existed and I've never once received a pre order before release day, so I'd say no

jrush64

Banned
Guys be careful of the youtube channel boss fight database for spoilers. The guy has uploaded the bosses in the game and I saw the only first one which was in the trailers already anyway.

True Fire

Guys be careful of the youtube channel boss fight database for spoilers. The guy has uploaded the bosses in the game and I saw the only first one which was in the trailers already anyway.

Yuck. His videos are always in the suggestions column, and he has no chill with spoilers

silva1991

That guy is at it again I see. Thankfully i deleted Persona 5 history almost a week ago.

dolabla

So are there any differences between the steelbook edition (other than the steelbook) and the regular PS4 blue box version? Does the steelbook edition come with any extras?

I probably shouldn't since I still need to complete a couple of games, but I'm tinking of pre-ordering today. I'm leaning toward just the regular version, but if the steelbook comes with any extras, I'll get it.

So are there any differences between the steelbook edition (other than the steelbook) and the regular PS4 blue box version? Does the steelbook edition come with any extras?
Literally just the case.

It's nice and all, but I'd definitely take a regular cover if it meant saving a few bucks.

Zakalwe

Banned

I probably shouldn't since I still need to complete a couple of games, but I'm tinking of pre-ordering today. I'm leaning toward just the regular version, but if the steelbook comes with any extras, I'll get it.

It's listed on amazon as Steelbook, manual, and disc.

Also Amazon doesn't seem to be selling a non-steelbook edition for PS4, in the UK at least.

Ordered from Simplygames this morning and it's just been despatched, a bit too late to arrive tomorrow d'ya think?

No it's actually very likely to arrive by tomorrow since they ship with Royal Mail First Class. I've had many deliveries from Simplygames arrive they day after dispatch. If not you're looking at Monday for sure, but tomorrow is very likely.

shtolky

Never played a Persona game, I know next to nothing about the series. The last Japanese game I played was Yakuza 0 and I didn't love it. Something about the world felt off. I know the two couldn't be more different from what I hear. Looking forward to giving this a shot.

Zakalwe

Banned
I ordered from Simplygames about 2 hours ago and just now they've cancelled my order so I'm assuming I got there too late.

Amazon UK has the steelbook ps4 in stock again if you need to grab another pre-order.

Aren't they the same exact price? And doesn't the regular edition come with the Controller cover?

In the UK I can see the ps3 version is 39.99 (plastic case), ps4 steelbook is 43.99.

I can't see a ps4 plastic cover to compare with though...

-Digits-

Just picked up my copy from a local retailer. The text that I could pick it up came completely out of the blue, this retailer never breaks street dates.
Just in time for the weekend!

Top Bottom