• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

raven777

C8GVhFUUwAELbl4.jpg

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Now if Ace Combat 7 can hold this level of quality as well...

My life will truly be complete. I can quit gaming forever.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
"My only gripe is that I couldn't play this game on a dead platform"

Yeah was an odd thing to point out in the review, but if you want to play on vita play remote play. Thats what i will do sitting in bed playing person 5

XandBosch

I played P4G on Vita and loved it. Hoping and waiting for a Switch version, no matter how long that takes. I've got enough other games to play right now and for the foreseeable future.

True.

I wonder what the chances of it happening are though? Isn't there some deal where Sony has exclusivity rights on any numbered Persona game or something?

Guess we'll find out at E3.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Homophobia is not a case of 'different culture'. I'm not American myself, either.

Call a spade for what it is.

It's not like I don't know what you mean with that but it's a judgement fully devoid of understanding of different cultural climate. Yes homophobia is not a case of different culture but what is regarded as homophobic depiction can be.
I'm not familiar enough with JP to make any statements on it really but one thing is for sure is that their attitude towards it is very different from us, while they have that scene they also seem to have no big problem with the Yaoi genre? Which has representation in anime and manga.

But people that are more familiar with Japan pls feel free to school me I'm def curious about it.

Never played a Persona game. Is it necessary to play the previous titles or is the series more like Final Fantasy where the story/setting is different each time?

Every game stands on it's own. Each one has a new cast, location and antagonist. There are a few connecting threads between the games, but most are thematic. This is a great time to jump in.

Lifeline

Jesus Japan, my wallet can't take all this awesomeness.

Looks like i'm bumping Persona up on my playlist, right above Yakuza 0 and Neir Automata.

I love everything about the way this game looks, and it sounds like the gamplay holds up too! Maybe I'll have time for it before PS5 comes out...

SomTervo

its a different culture. imposing American cultural norms on them is not going to work.

Whether or not this issue should have come up when translating the game for American audience's is a whole other issue.

Sorry there's a point where "subjective" cultural norms can be assessed on "right" or "wrong". We are free to criticise Japanese culture all we want. Doing so might help them understand why things can/should be done differently.

Hamfisted example: If some newfangled franchise made in the Saudi Arabia became hugely famous we wouldn't hand-wave its female characters not being able to drive cars or show skin because it's "just what Sharia Law's like"

GSR

The Polygon review has a full sidebar dedicated to how shitty the representations of gay men in the game are. It sucks.

I'm the person who wrote that. I've also lived in Japan and am very aware of their cultural outlook on LGBT issues.

I give Japanese developers a lot of wiggle room on this kind of stuff, but this is something I don't think they deserve that on.

Yup. I was disappointed in this in the Japanese version and more disappointed when I found out it was carried over to the English release.

"Pervy middle-aged dudes hitting on teenge boys as running joke" is one anime trope the game could've left behind.

Never mind that you can date about any lady you can form a co-op with but the possibility of a M/M relationship is never acknowledged.

I'm honestly not usually one to criticize reviews but docking points from a review because the game isn't playable on a portable system seems absurd to me.

I agree, it's a personal preference that has nothing to do with game design. I mean I would prefer to play Persona 5 on Vita or Switch but I'm not going to criticize the game for it.

Burbeting

Banned
That thread would be an unmarked spoiler-heavy shit show if you made it right now.

I'm REALLY curious about that though, and if it's just a one off sour gag, or treated with prominence.

From the Polygon Review (super-light spoilers?)

Persona 5 wears progressive values on its sleeves, which makes its approach to non-straight romance all the more baffling. Joker can choose to start a relationship with every single female party member and non-player confidant in the game; none of the men are romanceable. This is despite the fact that one of the male party members is heavily implied to be at least bisexual, claiming to have no interest in the female form outside of art and often interacting with Joker in a flirty manner.

The lack of same-sex relationship options in Persona 5 would be little more than a frustrating omission, but the game pushes it into much more aggravating territory in a few scenes. Specifically, there are two recurring gag characters who are clearly homosexual. They show up at a couple of points throughout the game specifically to act effeminate and stereotypical, and to freak out Ryuji by flirting with him. Essentially, some of Persona 5’s only examples of queer characterization are there as a terrible joke.

Sounds really off-putting, especially the second paragraph :/

Moobabe

I'm honestly not usually one to criticize reviews but docking points from a review because the game isn't playable on a portable system seems absurd to me.

I don't think that's quite it. I think coming off the back of P4G a lot of people would appreciate a portable version.

If you praise a game for being suited to a portable then surely you can go the other way?

valkyre

Are these 3 last months the best months in Playstation history or what?

Personna 5, Nioh, Horizon, Yakuza, Nier automata... holy shit!!

I'm the person who wrote that. I've also lived in Japan and am very aware of their cultural outlook on LGBT issues.

I give Japanese developers a lot of wiggle room on this kind of stuff, but this is something I don't think they deserve that on.

Rolled my eyes to the ceiling when that part happened in the game. Completely unnecessary. My only major gripe with the game so far. Mainly because it could've easily been left out. Easily my GOTY so far, maybe ever. But that scene was SMH worthy.

Top Bottom