• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Spoiler Free Early Impressions Thread

LotusHD

Banned
It kinda feels weird to see an early impressions thread for a game that has been out for over six months.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thread whining. This definitely needs a thread. Just saying how it felt to see it.

Haha, it is pretty weird. I peeped in the import thread repeatedly over the past few months, and everyone seemed to love it, so my mind has already long been made up myself. Haven't played a turn-based game (outside of Pokemon I guess) in forever, but the style and presentation of P5 is off the charts. First time dipping into this series, so I'm pretty excited.

WHAT ARE YOUR IMPRESSIONS OF THE FIRST 22 MINUTES

just kidding

22 mins in, it's very lively and populated. Story is surprisingly dark.. and the game feels 60fps or rather super extremely smooth.. i think it's because the mc walks super fast weird to explain.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man .. wow .. you guys who got the game THIS early are lucky.

If anyone knows any place in northern Virginia which is selling it early, please post here or feel free to PM me as well.

ZeiS6F9.png

🤔

...you too, huh. Surprised tho you can't find the game in the chi. My boy got him a copy.

22 mins in, it's very lively and populated. Story is surprisingly dark.. and the game feels 60fps or rather super extremely smooth.. i think it's because the mc walks super fast weird to explain.
What was your experience in downloading P5? And please no spoilers.

Sweet Persona 5 starts off fast if it gets dark 22 min in! So excited!

I'd be legitimately (and very pleasantly) surprised if the localised version changed it from the 30fps cap.

Rozart

You guys should all get Mass Effect Andromeda to keep your minds away from this game until April 4th finally arrives. It's a flawed, yet amazingly fun game.

Hah. I bought it day one despite the negative reviews.

It's...flawed alright. I'm hoping that it'll get better as it progresses like some people have said it would. Boosting/dodging during fights is pretty fun though.

Niiiice. Excited to hear about the darker direction that the story is taking too.

I'd be legitimately (and very pleasantly) surprised if the localised version changed it from the 30fps cap.
Nah, don't get your hopes up lol but it's very smooth no choppiness.. hell I put on the boost mode just cause lol
What was your experience in downloading P5? And please no spoilers.

Sweet Persona 5 starts off fast if it gets dark 22 min in! So excited!

It doesn't drag, so don't worry about that long opening in p4g straight into the thick of things.

JetsonIsAJet

Neo Member
I don't know if I've ever had a game pre-ordered as long as this one, and I barely even like jrpgs anymore. Looks really neat, so here's hoping it's a blast.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If this isn't the first PS4 game this year to get a 90+ Metacritic score, I'm going to cry.

Haha, I thought there would at least be one, but damn .. plenty of high 80's. Yakuza 5, Nier, NiOh, Horizon, but not a single 90 or above.

OmegaDL50

Persona 4 Golden was my introduction to the series a few years ago. Put like 74 hours into the game beating it on the True Ending path.

I had pre-order for Persona 5 in since June 2016. Almost a full year and finally the game will be in my hands in just over a week from now.

Looking forward to it.

IMACOMPUTA

I promised myself I wouldn't even look into this game until I finish some of these monsters that have come out in the last month.

HERE I AM! Tell me how awesome it is so I can buy it and put it on the pile!

Goldboy

Haha, I thought there would at least be one, but damn .. plenty of high 80's. Yakuza 5, Nier, NiOh, Horizon, but not a single 90 or above.

Yep, I was sure at least Nier was going to hold its 90 but nope. Although I would be very surprised if Persona 5 got below a 90 MC.

I know folks might have issues with this but
Igors
new va seems so menacing and creepy which fits imo. Still miss the old one.

StereoVsn

Go for it!

On the way back you will be like: "There's 790 miles to Chicago, you've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and you're wearing sunglasses."

wapplew

8 hours in, shit get real, real quick.
Combat feel faster, action map into face button is very good, lots of QoL feature like quick spell select against weakness, rush mode etc.
Top notch transitions make everything smooth and make you forget how long you played.
Story is much darker, more mature and gripping. Characters still best in the biz.
Music, no need to say much, God tier.

I think this one is the one, anyone like JRPG but on the fence, jump in.

Mannn, by April 4th Andromeda is probably gonna be $25 on Amazon.
But that will be really cheap during the Holidays. I can wait!
Well, that's a fair point.
Hah. I bought it day one despite the negative reviews.

It's...flawed alright. I'm hoping that it'll get better as it progresses like some people have said it would. Boosting/dodging during fights is pretty fun though.
Oh it does get better. It won't turn into a GOTY material game all of a sudden though, so don't go in expecting that, hahaha.

But fighting is where the game truly shines. Especially if you go full on Biotics.

Haha, it is pretty weird. I peeped in the import thread repeatedly over the past few months, and everyone seemed to love it, so my mind has already long been made up myself. Haven't played a turn-based game (outside of Pokemon I guess) in forever, but the style and presentation of P5 is off the charts. First time dipping into this series, so I'm pretty excited.
Okay, glad to know that I'm not the only one who felt that way, hahaha. Yeah, can't wait to play it myself either. For me, the bar for Persona 5 is to be as fun as Persona 4. I'll be more than happy if it manages to achieve that.

silva1991

8 hours in, shit get real, real quick.
Combat feel faster, action map into face button is very good, lots of QoL feature like quick spell select against weakness, rush mode etc.
Top notch transitions make everything smooth and make you forget how long you played.
Story is much darker, more mature and gripping. Characters still best in the biz.
Music, no need to say much, God tier.

I think this one is the one, anyone like JRPG but on the fence, jump in.

giphy.gif

Can't wait to make my "repel everything" Helel(assuming he is in the game)

Won't lie, I'm mainly wondering about how the English voices are, since that's my main worry after those worrying "English Trailers" they put out.

Damn. I didn't even think of checking my local store to see if they had this in stock as I wasn't expecting it until next week...

I've made a huge mistake. Calling them when they open first thing tomorrow.

Memento

Is it viable to play it on Hard the first time? I played P3 and P4 on normal because the gameplay loop in the dungeons was not exactly exciting and hard mode would just extend these secions, and I found it to be a great choice considering it was a good midterm of difficulty. But it seems like Persona 5 has some actual fleshed out dungeons, so I would like to add tension and challenge to the combat by increasing the difficulty. So my question is: is it worth it?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm....this may be for JPN people too, but two questions regarding mechanics...(slight, slight mechanics spoiler)

Are negotiations still seemingly random in what each individual demon likes? Or is it more based on traditional arcana regarding the questions?

Also, I saw on the Playstation Access stream that there was a time that, during a demon's self-surrender, they didn't have to negotiate to get that persona...if you already have a copy of the persona in your database, do you not need to re-negotiate?

MSMrRound

Won't lie, I'm mainly wondering about how the English voices are, since that's my main worry after those worrying "English Trailers" they put out.

Ann sounds pretty okay from the short Persona 5 playthrough that she did for her part.

As for the rest of the crew, a large majority of them are talents that also featured in Trails of Cold Steel (which had a pretty great dub) and the same VO company that did Trails is handling P5 as well.

Goldboy

I don't think this mechanic counts as a spoiler, but tagging it just in case... Can anybody who's spent a decent amount of time in the dungeons tell me how the
demon negotiation
is? Does it feel mostly random or is there some skill involved?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
g7IsB.gif

I am so ready for Persona 5. Give me your best impressions folks. 95 on Metacritic lets go?

The immersion of finding your way at the subway station is unreal, I guess this how tourist feel when they come to NY. Such a minor detail but it's amazing.

Lynx_7

Is it viable to play it on Hard the first time? I played P3 and P4 on normal because the gameplay loop in the dungeons was not exactly exciting and hard mode would just extend these secions, and I found it to be a great choice considering it was a good midterm of difficulty. But it seems like Persona 5 has some actual fleshed out dungeons, so I would like to add tension and challenge to the combat by increasing the difficulty. So my question is: is it worth it?

Lots of people in the import thread played it on hard mode and they seemed to do fine. I always start SMT games at the hardest settings (with the exception of DeSu) so I'll be doing it for P5 too.

At any case you can change the difficulty whenever you like.
The immersion of finding your way at the subway station is unreal, I guess this how tourist feel when they come to NY. Such a minor detail but it's amazing.

SUBWAY STATION SIMULATOR OF THE YEAR CONFIRMED
HYPE!

MSMrRound

I don't think this mechanic counts as a spoiler, but tagging it just in case... Can anybody who's spent a decent amount of time in the dungeons tell me how the
demon negotiation
is? Does it feel mostly random or is there some skill involved?

Doing your co-ops unlocks QOL improvements to daily life, battles and what's not, including
demon negotiation, as you can turn on your charm and make it so that you can negotiate for a rare item instead of a normal one for example, or there's the chance that a demon might be more willing to join your team. All these options are usually highlighted in a different colour should you trigger it during the usual demon nego

I wonder how much time will take me to beat the game this time. I didn't even attempt to read the Persona's descriptions in the compendium of the Japanese version and it took me more than 170 hours to beat.

I'm actually looking forward to read the impressions from the people who got it already. I'm getting excited again :p

Jimrpg

Oh Christ, decided to skip this, Horizon and Nier till they're half price, in favour of Yakuza 0, Nioh and Zelda... still playing all three but damn it's so hard to resist.

Top Bottom