• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

That happened in the Dark Hour, while she was looking for Ken (immediately before the fateful confrontation with
Shinjiro & Takaya
). I would strongly disagree simply being outside Tartarus counts as 'the real world'. I don't think there's much examples at all of the characters being empowered by their Personae outside of those specific conditions.

Hm, not sure that's the scene I was thinking of since Fuuka summons her Persona several times, but it might have just been a false memory after all.

Yeah, I guess I'd agree that the Dark Hour isn't the real world as well, which would leave no examples I can think of of references to Persona summoning in the real world outside of
possibly Aigis and Kirijo group stuff

Looking into unused music/voices, specifically in Persona 3.

voices

There's more, but can't find any on youtube.

Huh, never heard a lot of these. Pretty cool.

41jRXT6.jpg

new dlc costume revealed

I remember the Fuuka scene, because I remember someone walks in the room and they're surprised because shes has her Persona out.

I'm not counting P1 and P2 with the same rules as P3 and P4 - the series changed in a lot of ways and trying to reconcile the different aspects of them isn't going to work out well.

Ultimately I think it's important for us to understand that we nerds on the internet care more about these dumb details than the developers do.

Arena Spoilers:
Doesn't Fuuka summon her persona in the real world at the end of Arena? It's really ambiguous, and hard to tell if she was doing it just in the "real world" or if she had one of those portable dark hour simulators (forget their actual name) you see in Mitsuru's storymode.

If its the former, then I guess it is possible for persona users to summon their personas in the real world.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Wonderful new thread! :D
I wake up and find it already 6 pages long :p
Can we make it to 100 by the end of the month?

I'm progressing in Persona 2 Innocent Sin... I'm very sorry to say that for the moment I'm not liking it as much as I expected :/

Innocent Sin SPOILERS follow:

I'm at Mt. Iwato, just finished that dungeon, the whole "hey we were all friends when we were kids but we just kinda forgot" reeks sooooooooo much of the eight entry of another popular RPG series >_>

I don't like the fact that Lisa is so taken by Tatsuya, he is Maya's, period.

As with the first Persona I don't like the dungeon design, which coupled with the encounter rate is making it an unenjoyable mess of a game, exploration wise :(
I should have finally gotten enough cards to get a Persona with Estoma, that should ease things a little and admittedly I should have done it much earlier.

It's not that the game is bad, it's just that my expectations were very high and so far it hasn't delivered... yet.

Of course, I'm still barely half-way through. With the speed that this game is evolving with there is a very high chance of it turning things around very quickly.

Having said that there are a LOT of positive things about the game. Mainly everything except the things mentioned above :p

I'm progressing in Persona 2 Innocent Sin... I'm very sorry to say that for the moment I'm not liking it as much as I expected :/

I'm at Mt. Iwato, just finished that dungeon, the whole "hey we were all friends when we were kids but we just kinda forgot" reeks sooooooooo much of the eight entry of another popular RPG series >_>

As with the first Persona I don't like the dungeon design, which coupled with the encounter rate is making it an unenjoyable mess of a game, exploration wise :(
I should have finally gotten enough cards to get a Persona with Estoma, that should ease things a little and admittedly I should have done it much earlier.

It's not that the game is bad, it's just that my expectations were very high and so far it hasn't delivered... yet.

Of course, I'm still barely half-way through. With the speed that this game is evolving with there is a very high chance of it turning things around very quickly.

Having said that there are a LOT of positive things about the game. Mainly everything except the things mentioned above :p

I feel like they cant find the sweet spot for exploration. Having none, like P3/4 is not the solution.

Gazoinks

Well, it is unrequited.

I don't know,
I actually chose Maya at the "confess your love" bit and kind of regretted it. Their relationship is nice, but I think it works better as a big sister thing than a romantic thing. Tatsuya/Jun OTP.

Moonlight

Banned
I don't know,
I actually chose Maya at the "confess your love" bit and kind of regretted it. Their relationship is nice, but I think it works better as a big sister thing than a romantic thing. Tatsuya/Jun OTP.
I never said I agreed with the assessment, but it is the summary of Tatsuya and Lisa's group contact. I'd go so far as to say that Lisa/Tatsuya is OTP!

Gazoinks

I never said I agreed with the assessment, but it is the summary of Tatsuya and Lisa's group contact. I'd go so far as to say that Lisa/Tatsuya is OTP!

Yeah, I actually meant to respond to shinkansen's original post, not sure why I chose to quote yours instead. :p
Yeah, Tatsuya/Lisa is also acceptable. Probably makes that one bit in the ending sadder too.

Moonlight

Banned
How do you guys feel that the continuation of the story will have ps1 level translations, voice acting, and presentation?
I'm not... especially thrilled, but if there's no other option I'll take what I can get. The thing that I'm more concerned about is how fast it's going to be. Even with bells and whistles like battle animation skipping and auto-battle, P2IS feels as fast as cold molasses most of the time. I can only hope that EP isn't any worse in that regard, and I really fear it will be.

PK Gaming

B-but that's like... one of the games highlights D:

The whole
They used to be friends is good because it has excellent execution, unlike in FF8 where it's contrived nonsense. The story's foundation is built on this "friendship." They were the original masked circle.'

I'm not... especially thrilled, but if there's no other option I'll take what I can get. The thing that I'm more concerned about is how fast it's going to be. Even with bells and whistles like battle animation skipping and auto-battle, P2IS feels as fast as cold molasses most of the time. I can only hope that EP isn't any worse in that regard, and I really fear it will be.

I would argue that Innocent Sin Portable's menus can sometimes be more sluggish than Eternal Punishment PS1 and Eternal Punishment PS1 has better load times.

Moonlight

Banned
You're a better authority on it than I am, I haven't even finished IS. That point on load-times is encouraging, though. They're really egregious in IS.

Moonlight

Banned
Big fusion attacks are a godsend for making P2 dungeons tolerable. Nuke your opponents in three turns or less, lol.

Also, I have no idea what anyone suggesting that Persona 2 (Innocent Sin, at least) is a deep, mature narrative with dark themes and highbrow concepts was even saying because
a few hours ago I fought Hitler's minions in a three-way battle for control of a ship torn straight from the memoirs of Giorgio Tsoukalos because too many people were watching the History Channel in the middle of a terror wave.

I mean, it's not a bad thing by any means, but this game seems pretty goofy a lot of the time.

Gazoinks, if you write in a spoiler something that I'm not supposed to read yet, please mark it as such.

B-but that's like... one of the games highlights D:

The whole
They used to be friends is good because it has excellent execution, unlike in 8 where it's contrived nonsense. The story's foundation is built on this "friendship." They were the original masked circle.'

I'll wait to see how it delivers before placing my final judgement, but for now my reaction has been very similar to the one I had with 8.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I don't think I'm going to finish IS (at least not in time for the P5 reveal), but I got the point.

It is what it is.

Edit: I'm also not reading any of these spoilers, but what I've seen has been pretty goofy.

PK Gaming

Big fusion attacks are a godsend for making P2 dungeons tolerable. Nuke your opponents in three turns or less, lol.

Also, I have no idea what anyone suggesting that Persona 2 (Innocent Sin, at least) is a deep, mature narrative with dark themes and highbrow concepts was even saying because
a few hours ago I fought Hitler's minions in a three-way battle for control of a ship torn straight from the memoirs of Giorgio Tsoukalos because too many people were watching the History Channel in the middle of a terror wave.

I mean, it's not a bad thing by any means, but this game seems pretty goofy a lot of
the time.
Mature? Ehh, it can get really silly.
Deep? Absolutely. It doesn't make itself readily apparent until late IS/EP, but P2's story is a deep narrative experience. It's mostly limited to shadow selves, and encounters with a certain character.

Daimaou

I mean, it's not a bad thing by any means, but this game seems pretty goofy a lot of the time.

Execution.

The reason all that crazy stuff happens is because rumors are becoming reality. It's a reflection of how nuts conspiracy theories are.

Moonlight

Banned
Regarding Shinkansen's point,
I will say that I was kind of unconvinced by the 'I thought it was all a dream' thing that Lisa and Eikichi were going on about. I mean... really? I say this as someone who actually liked the execution, particularly that bit of misdirection where Lisa is absolutely convinced that Joker is 'Big Sis' before, well, we get our answer.

A bit further on, am I going crazy or am I hearing shades of Aria of the Soul in
Taurus Temple's
theme?

EDIT:

Execution.

The reason all that crazy stuff happens is because rumors are becoming reality. It's a reflection of how nuts conspiracy theories are.
And yeah, I get that, and I get what they're trying to do, but it's a tiny bit difficult to reconcile the mysticism and mystery and drama given the framing that the second half is having with this Xibalba stuff and all. Again, it's not a bad thing by any means, but in my opinion, P3 was a lot more consistent in terms of, I dunno, conveying some kind of sense of bleakness. Mostly just poking fun at people lionizing P2 for a grim, dark narrative when it can get roughly about as optimistic and even melodramatic as P4 can be.

I'm gonna go on record and say that the character writing is absolutely impeccable, though. Definitely bought into Eikichi, Lisa, and Maya hard. Yukino... I guess I was a little mixed on, but (people who haven't advanced past Mt. Iwato, go no further)
I thought that moment where she passes on her power to Jun was really great. Don't think her sorta-boyfriend's death was that well done, but eh. As I said, mixed!

CrazyDude

Yeah going through Persona 2 was sluggish for me. I kept going on and off because of the random battle. My tolerance level for random encounters have gone done considerably as they become less common.

I still enjoy it, but I need lots of breaks from it.

Sophia

Arena Spoilers:
Doesn't Fuuka summon her persona in the real world at the end of Arena? It's really ambiguous, and hard to tell if she was doing it just in the "real world" or if she had one of those portable dark hour simulators (forget their actual name) you see in Mitsuru's storymode.

If its the former, then I guess it is possible for persona users to summon their personas in the real world.

There is no indication that
Fuuka dud the later. At all. It's not hinted at. It's not even implied.
Also if people couldn't summon their Personas in the real world, then how do you explain the first three games in the series? :p

Also, Mitsuru's story mode has a few paragraphs (before her fight with Yukiko) about how she can summon her Persona in the real world without an Evoker, it's just harder, and that the Midnight Channel basically makes it effortless if you've got the potential to summon one.

Gazoinks

And yeah, I get that, and I get what they're trying to do, but it's a tiny bit difficult to reconcile the mysticism and mystery and drama given the framing that the second half is having with this Xibalba stuff and all. Again, it's not a bad thing by any means, but in my opinion, P3 was a lot more consistent in terms of, I dunno, conveying some kind of sense of bleakness. Mostly just poking fun at people lionizing P2 for a grim, dark narrative when it can get roughly about as optimistic and even melodramatic as P4 can be.

I'm gonna go on record and say that the character writing is absolutely impeccable, though.

I pretty much agree with this. As I've said before, my favorite part of IS's story is early on when things are all hazy and mysterious. EP does feel more consistently dark from what I've played though.

P2EP has a different, more subdued tone, but it still gets goofy at times.

When people talk about P2 back in the day, usually its that game.

Regarding Shinkansen's point,
I will say that I was kind of unconvinced by the 'I thought it was all a dream' thing that Lisa and Eikichi were going on about. I mean... really? I say this as someone who actually liked the execution, particularly that bit of misdirection where Lisa is absolutely convinced that Joker is 'Big Sis' before, well, we get our answer.

I mean the entire Masked Circle thing with them happened over the course of like three weeks when they were six years old.

Also if people couldn't summon their Personas in the real world, then how do you explain the first three games in the series? :p

They apparently exist in another timeline where everyone was a Wild Card and literally anyone could go to the Velvet Room and no one needed a dumb gimmick/gadget to summon a persona :p

Sophia

They apparently exist in another timeline where everyone was a Wild Card and literally anyone could go to the Velvet Room and no one needed a dumb gimmick/gadget to summon a persona :p

The Wild Card is a bit of a silly retcon, although one I'm not entirely unappreciative of. The Velvet Room thing however isn't true. P3FES spoilers:
Everyone ends up there at the end of The Answer, remember?

Moonlight

Banned
I mean the entire Masked Circle thing with them happened over the course of like three weeks when they were six years old.
That makes a little more sense. How long Masked Circle went on was sort of unclear, though. I got the impression that they kept meeting over the entire summer.

There is no indication that
Fuuka dud the later. At all. It's not hinted at. It's not even implied.

Also, Mitsuru's story mode has a few paragraphs (before her fight with Yukiko) about how she can summon her Persona in the real world without an Evoker, it's just harder, and that the Midnight Channel basically makes it effortless if you've got the potential to summon one.

That's what I was getting at, I have a feeling that the only reason that the Investigation team can't summon their Personas in the real world is because they haven't actually had training or experience like the members of SEES.

I have a feeling that
since its so much harder to summon them without evokers/dark hour or what have you, it would mean that it takes a lot more out of the persona user to keep them out for extended periods of time and therefore they can only be summoned fleetingly.

The Wild Card is a bit of a silly retcon, although one I'm not entirely unappreciative of. The Velvet Room thing however isn't true. P3FES spoilers:
Everyone ends up there at the end of The Answer, remember?

Yeah, after their totes special, important final boss battle, whereas, like, in EP they drag Makimura and Anna to the Velvet Room like no big deal and even the other party members comment on how they had seen the door before they had become Persona users.
. I mean, again, trying to apply P3/P4 rules and stuff to P1/P2 doesn't really work and it's best not to worry about it.

That makes a little more sense. How long Masked Circle went on was sort of unclear, though. I got the impression that they kept meeting over the entire summer.

Yeah, I mean, it isn't super clear how long it lasted, but assuming it was June ~ August that's still... not very long, especially ten years later, and double especially when you don't want to remember that time you may have killed someone

FluxWaveZ

That's what I was getting at, I have a feeling that the only reason that the Investigation team can't summon their Personas in the real world is because they haven't actually had training or experience like the members of SEES.

Well, if we're pursuing the route of taking what Persona 4 Arena states as evidence for events of P3 and P4, then P4A implies that it's easier for the SEES members to summon their Personas in the real world than the TV world because of the use of their evokers that are physical representations of their discipline and goals.

Hi guys I'm back

Persona is a nifty franchise and I plan on having my sister play it (or I play it and she watches) during the winter break for both of us.

Also no P5 on the 24th I bet
Smed be honest with me, was the reason you stopped posting because you got Chris G'd too hard

Kappa
It'll be 6 AM EST on the 24th.
I may be able to keep myself aliveawake for that, but I won't be able to do it without a little caffeine or something. WORTH IT THOUGH.
Hee ho no D:

Dr. Buni

I feel like they cant find the sweet spot for exploration. Having none, like P3/4 is not the solution.
I feel like I am the only who enjoyed the dungeons in P3/4. I only really care about the battles, characters, etc, so not having puzzles, forced exploration and stuff getting in my way was a bless. Plus, the dungeons were great visually (and the music themes were amazing). I really am hoping P5's dungeons are in the same style.

cjkeats

I missed the fist page of "Oh, new thread! awesome" so here:

New thread awesome! Great art as usual Dantis, shit thread title though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom