• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

CorvoSol

:lol @ the original devil summoner being the best selling Atlus game (that we know of) despite being a shit game. P5 needs to do numbers.

Well, just given the massive explosion in popularity Persona has had since 4, it's got to at least sell really well. Goodness knows I'm all about buying it, haha.

I would be surprised if it doesn't given how much they've grown the brand since P4. It's gotta be Atlus' biggest series, yeah?

Also:
lohr.jpg

Oooops nvm, P1 outsold, it still shouldn't have did the numbers it did though, Devil Summoner 1 is dog shit from what I have heard. And yeah, the difference between P3-P4 is like a extra 100k, and the brand is massive now9compared to what it was when OG P4 launched. I think P5 is dong 400k+ first week.

Sophia

For what its worth, the original Devil Summoner had the mainline SMT name on it. So that might be one factor as to why it had high sales. It was the first real 3D SMT game.

Also, it launched on the Saturn, which is a system that did very well in Japan.

FluxWaveZ

Random musing, but I wonder if he's a biological android/homunculus.

Perhaps,
since that could explain a Plume of Dusk emanating from within him. Sho's story will probably be particularly related to the dichotomy with the dual identities dwelling within him.

In all seriousness we probably shouldn't do community insider jokes next time.

I'm confident that P5 will be at least number 2. Atlus seems to be serious about moving up in the industry with it, especially under the banner of their new blue overlords.

P1 is @ #1 with 400k, Devil Summoner @ #2 with 355k. I think P5 will do that first week. I think SMT 2 is probably their best selling game though(even though we don't have any numbers on it).

Yeah, some parts could be translation error or things not coming through in English, but saying "don't come out on your own accord" sounds pretty blatant. It could just be a joke quote like with other mirror matches, though, but we've never seen both of them together so it's hard to know one way or the other.

That quote about tearing Aigis inside out after mentioning the Plume of Dusk also sounds a bit weird, but it was written in some story synopses that Sho wants to "save" Aigis in particular and he also talks to Labrys, in her arcade mode, about how he had chosen her, being the culprit in P4A, because he and her "are the same" when he says:
I actually haven't seen the saving Aigis bit, only the SHO quote you posted about being the same as Labrys. The only ties I can draw from that is that they're both products of the Kirijo Group in some way, as that'd explain the interest in Aigis as well. I'm hesitant to buy into the 'One of the personalities is Ikutsuki' theory, but one synopsis I've seen hints at it rather heavily.

I'm uncertain about Adachi's role in the story still, though. I doubt he'll be a villain though, given his change in attitude since his defeat in P4. Given that several characters remark that Sho has a 'lonely look' in his eyes, I wouldn't be surprised if Adachi is brought in to bring about some change of heart, given that he and Sho/SHO once had the same motivations and attitude.

Random musing, but I wonder if he's a biological android/homunculus.

It's possible, despite Labrys claiming he is human. It makes me want to go back and see if any concrete date is given when the Kirijo Group experimented on humans like Strega, whether it came before or after their android project.

Sophia

It's possible, despite Labrys claiming he is human. It makes me want to go back and see if any concrete date is given when the Kirijo Group experimented on humans like Strega, whether it came before or after their android project.

There's no specific date given, at least within the game itself. Maybe in the Shadow Cry novel. I want to say it'd be after however, for some reason.

EMT0

Banned
Perhaps,
since that could explain a Plume of Dusk emanating from within him. Sho's story will probably be particularly related to the dichotomy with the dual identities dwelling within him.

I really want Arena 2, and whenever you guys bring up possible plot details I want it even more. I suck at fighting games, but I need my plot fix.

New thread, YAY

Also 9th, P5 I think will do very well, maybe not crazy unrealistic numbers. But will be very successful for ATLUS, that and it seems like there are a lot people both in Japan and in the West that are very excited for the next title in the series.

Setsu00

Perhaps,

Didn't Yuichiro Wada speak in the P4A artbook about how they
want to introduce an android of the sixth generation in the future?

cj_iwakura

Devil Summoner is as dated as SMT games get, but it has a good story, and Atlus made a massive world guidance book just for that game.

Sophia

Didn't Yuichiro Wada speak in the P4A artbook about how they
want to introduce an android of the sixth generation in the future?

He did. Although something tells me
if they were going to do that, we would have seen the results by now from arcade mode.

There's no specific date given, at least within the game itself. Maybe in the Shadow Cry novel. I want to say it'd be after however, for some reason.

It's hard to say. You could make an argument that it'd be before or concurrent with the first anti-Shadow models: noticing the volatility of human artificial Persona-users, they opted for entirely artificial Persona-users. Mitsuru seems to be aware of everything quickly, though. I imagine Sho's story will pause the plot at the cliffhanger and provide background information, as Labrys's did.

He did. Although something tells me
if they were going to do that, we would have seen the results by now from arcade mode.

SHO's arcade mode has no story, if I recall correctly. Not sure if Sho's has any or not.

wmlk

Well, just given the massive explosion in popularity Persona has had since 4, it's got to at least sell really well. Goodness knows I'm all about buying it, haha.

Although GAF and other boards are in love with it, that's still the minority.

CorvoSol

I'm definitely beginning to warm up to Junpei as the game goes on, haha. Especially when Yukari keeps labeling the poor guy "Stupei".

Although GAF and other boards are in love with it, that's still the minority.

Of? 'Cuz Persona 4 was really popular the last time I checked. I mean, this isn't FF7's heyday where everybody played it, but as far as JRPG fans go, the game is hardly a minority.

FluxWaveZ

Unfortunately, that's one thing we can't speculate on based off translated tidbits and assumptions. Hoping for some news in February.

Yeah. The only possible indication of its design I can think of is the 4gamer article where they separated "episode P3" and "episode P4", but that's obviously nothing near conclusive.

I feel that the soonest we'll get any console detail on P4A2 is in March since the media cycle seems to be all about PQ right now. Might get a localization announcement in February, I guess.

Acid08

Banned
Lol well JRPG fans are a minority of RPG fans which are a minority of gamers at large. Persona is still a super niche series. 5 will break a mil worldwide though.

Question: how much voice acting do you guys think Q and P4D will have? I don't think mainline Persona levels but I'm hoping for a decent amount. I would bet more in Q than P4D too.

CorvoSol

Lol well JRPG fans are a minority of RPG fans which are a minority of gamers at large. Persona is still a super niche series. 5 will break a mil worldwide though.

Question: how much voice acting do you guys think Q and P4D will have? I don't think mainline Persona levels but I'm hoping for a decent amount. I would bet more in Q than P4D too.

Are they? I'm not really convinced of that point.

EMT0

Banned
Are they? I'm not really convinced of that point.

It became true once Skyrim hit and set record sales for a WRPG. Now everybody's into RPGs apparently, because everything seems to be either an RPG, RPG-lite, or have RPG elements.

Didn't think I'd love it as much as I did, only problem I had was the pacing.
Still can't get over how great that ending was, would be improved if they
made it more clear that the protag dies.

I thought it was
implied beautifully in P3:FES. The whole time, everyone was saying how sick and terrible the MC looked, and every time you go to the dorm it became increasing clear that rest was needed. It was heartbreaking watching the MC look out his window graduation day only to have Aigis come in telling him she remembers everything.

I would be surprised if it doesn't given how much they've grown the brand since P4. It's gotta be Atlus' biggest series, yeah?

Also:
lohr.jpg

hereforever_by_fartprincess-d5ztsoc.jpg

Mr. Burns kinda looks like Igor. His nose mainly.

I'm definitely beginning to warm up to Junpei as the game goes on, haha. Especially when Yukari keeps labeling the poor guy "Stupei".

Of? 'Cuz Persona 4 was really popular the last time I checked. I mean, this isn't FF7's heyday where everybody played it, but as far as JRPG fans go, the game is hardly a minority.

Yeah, I found him annoying at first, but grew to love him. Also his voice actor was Edward Elric from Full Metal Alchemist, so that helped me like him more.

P4 really helped bring Persona to the spot light, I agree the game is hardly a minority. Though I don't think any JRPG has reached FFVII levels of mainstream success. The game was feature in Pepsi ads.

Final-Fantasy-VII-Cloud-Pepsi-Cardboard-Standup.jpg

Checking in. Hello all!

Dat thread title.

I liked yours more.

cjkeats

Yeah, I found him annoying at first, but grew to love him. Also his voice actor was Edward Elric from Full Metal Alchemist, so that helped me like him more.
I've been watching that dubbed lately and couldn't quite out my finger on why he sounded familiar. That's hilarious in a way.

wmlk

That's exactly what I was getting at. And also the game caters to the GAF demographic. You read threads and impressions of how people love the game, but I don't think that's a fair representation for everywhere else. I could speak to more niche games in public and they would know about it, and not a lot of people I know played a Persona game before. When Persona 4 Golden did so well in reviews after it came out, critics still shoved it aside for other games when awarding GotY.

I'm not worried about the series or anything, though. If Persona 4 Golden is an indication of what's to come, then that's great. I just don't think it will sell as high as people think, though. It will most likely get there one day. I think the foundation is strong for people to start embracing the series more and more.

It became true once Skyrim hit and set record sales for a WRPG. Now everybody's into RPGs apparently, because everything seems to be either an RPG, RPG-lite, or have RPG elements.
Whie I enjoy RPG elements in other games, I really hate whenever I try to look for a new RPG game, I keep getting results about games that are NOT RPG.
It's like those people who say Persona is a Dating Sim, only because a part of the game is structured in a somewhat similar way.

Sophia

RPGs have pretty much had a reemergence this generation. There were a ton of good western ones, a few good Japanese ones, and a few not so good Japanese ones. And a lot of handheld ones.

I've been watching that dubbed lately and couldn't quite out my finger on why he sounded familiar. That's hilarious in a way.

Haha, It is pretty hilarious, too bad Junpei can't use alchemy. Though that's probably a good thing, don't want him
trying to resurrect Chidori, we all know the outcome of forbidden alchemy in FMA.

Squire

Banned

GTA San Andreas had RPG elements and sold like crazy. Ditto CoD4. The industry has been this way for a long time.

People like experience points and skill trees. It's the stories, combat, and general eccentricities of the RPG genre that are the tougher sell.

The audience is much smaller now than the 90s, but I do think P4 is sort of the FFVII of it's day. It's one of the biggest niche titles within the niche and it's popular enough that's it's basically a franchise unto itself at this point. We saw Square eventually try to capitalize on FFVII in the same way, but Atlus seems to actually be trying to maintain a certain standard of quality.

Sure he can. His Persona has the Philosopher's Stone in its damn mouth.

Lol, maybe it's keeping it away from Junpei.

(
Trismegistus
) Junpei's Persona: "Naw son, you can't have this... I am you, I know what you will try"

Junpei: "Come on bro! I won't try to
resurrect Chidori
"

EMT0

Banned
GTA San Andreas had RPG elements and sold like crazy. Ditto CoD4. The industry has been this way for a long time.

People like experience points and skill trees. It's the stories, combat, and general eccentricities of the RPG genre that are the tougher sell.

The audience is much smaller now than the 90s, but I do think P4 is sort of the FFVII of it's day. It's one of the biggest niche titles within the niche and it's popular enough that's it's basically a franchise unto itself at this point. We saw Square eventually try to capitalize on FFVII in the same way, but Atlus seems to actually be trying to maintain a certain standard of quality.

Square was about 7 or 8 years too late with the franchising of FFVII tbh. Especially when they're not following up with an actual remake.

Acid08

Banned
Square was about 7 or 8 years too late with the franchising of FFVII tbh. Especially when they're not following up with an actual remake.
I don't know if I'd say they were too late, that stuff was popular because of the nostalgia people have for the original game. I still do think a remake is a definite possibility at some point but that's kind of like a "oh god we need to save the company" type of move.

EMT0

Banned
I don't know if I'd say they were too late, that stuff was popular because of the nostalgia people have for the original game. I still do think a remake is a definite possibility at some point but that's kind of like a "oh god we need to save the company" type of move.

Well yeah, late is definitely better than never. But we're not seeing more things built on top of FFVII today because they kind of failed to keep momentum while the Persona 4 train just seems to keep on giving and giving, which is why I think it was probably a bad idea to not include a remake alongside FFVII's spinoff/expanded universe stuff. I totally get why they actually couldn't though.

Whie I enjoy RPG elements in other games, I really hate whenever I try to look for a new RPG game, I keep getting results about games that are NOT RPG.
It's like those people who say Persona is a Dating Sim, only because a part of the game is structured in a somewhat similar way.

If I could punch every person that says that with the utmost seriousness, I'd have no bones left in my hands from all the pummeling I'd have done.

RPGs have pretty much had a reemergence this generation. There were a ton of good western ones, a few good Japanese ones, and a few not so good Japanese ones. And a lot of handheld ones.

I wish it had been a ton of Japanese ones. At least Persona 5 will (almost assuredly) send off Japan's contributions on a high note.

Top Bottom