• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
So whats in this limit edition, just story DLC? Hopefully its not a bloody puzzle again :/

2471097-1470646870-p4a_l.jpg

There is no LE.

$60 is the standard.

MSMrRound

Assuming they won't region lock it, I'll get Ultimax for a mere 44 €. :)

They're so gonna region lock it, won't they?

John Hardin/Not Aram (anyone still call him that?) aka Atlusprime on GAF said that they are working on it.

IMO the region lock for the original P4A was unfortunate...and it was something that they could not avoid due to head honchos from AtlusJP.

If I recall, the release date was like...two weeks or even less in between the Japanese and the Region 1 (NA) versions? Both versions had dual audio/English and Japanese text and as a result, they did not want Japanese consumers to reverse-import the NA version instead (since JP versions are supposedly more expensive) and stuff...or so the saying goes.

For myself, I was quite pleasantly surprised when my local game store called me to say that my copy had arrived earlier than what I had expected..yay for R3 PS3 console...I guess? Was expecting to buy the Hong Kong/Singapore version but I guess the Japanese version works either way...

A couple retailers did not choose to bring it in at all though...maybe they were worried about the region-lock since quite a few Singaporean gamers like to dabble between R1/R3 accounts? *shrugs*

I hope the pre-order bonus is not some DLC and it's something physical, so it'll be easier to not pay who knows how much and wait until digital release... Though I really want it on day one, so...

Maybe I try to do one more playthrough and then watch the rest in youtube. Good to hear the freedom endings seem to be more inline with your thoughts.
And yes, the messaging sytem is amazing, It's really intuitive and still seems so deep. Something like this in P5 to interact with friends/girlfriends could be amazing. Maybe they tried this as a small test?
Good to hear Catherine attracts other gamers to play other Persona Team games. I played P3 first and that made me buy P4, that was when it was released on PS2 and during those years I had lot of other work so sadly I couldnt finish P4 (even though I was loving it more than 3). Funny that you mention about Catherine having some effect in your life, as it happened to me something similar with P4Golden. Just some months ago came a really bad time in my life, with friends and work, it's possibly the most depressing time I have been in my whole life. During that time I got a cheap PSVita for P4 Golden, and started the game finally again. The characters in that game gave me hope again and I started to became happy little by little, and even started drawing again (and that how someone here told me about this Persona community and why Im here right now :) ). Thats why P4 turned into one of my favourite games ever, thanks to the help and courage it gave me.

About the music blog you had. Are you from Spain?

Yeah, I was thinking the same about the message system. If they could somehow make it even better, it would be a great addition to P5!
It's interesting to hear stories about how these games affects us :D I must say that Catherine, P3 and P4 gave me a lot to think about and I'm sure I wouldn't be same person without those games.
Also, I' from South America, specifically from Argentina :D

CorvoSol

Persona 2

I was seriously, seriously unimpressed by that dungeon. Which is to say I hated it, and am pretty much of the opinion none of the dungeons in this series have ever been good. At least in Persona 4 I can see where the fuck I'm going, though. Holy shit at whoever decided it was a good idea to add branches jutting right the fuck into the player's line of sight in this game.

I actually cannot think of any single part of Persona 2's gameplay that is good. It's all functional, which is a fair stab above some RPGs I've played, and there's clearly some manner of depth to everything in the game, but between the battle system and the dungeons Persona 2 is like a neat comic book someone decided to tack RPG elements onto. In its defense, this is the PSX era and lots of things from that time don't play as well as I remember them playing but good God this mountain was a piece of shiiiiiiiiit to walk up.

But enough bitching about how I don't like the way these games play like Mesozoic pieces of shit, let's talk about the plot.

First of all, I think that Nazi Germany, er, the Last Batallion, has a MUCH cooler mechanical weapon going for itself than the Kirijo Group. Anti-Shadow Weapons designed to look like teenage girls? PLEASE. Bitch, let me show you my NAZI ANTI-PERSONA MECH WIELDING A SYNTHETIC LANCE OF LONGINUS CRAFTED BY ANCIENT ARYAN TECHNOLOGY! WE STABBED CRUCIFIED JEWS WITH THEM TO RECREATE THESE RESULTS!

No but seriously, not only have the Nazi's found the Spear of Destiny, but their science has created numerous copies of it somehow. And this is a Spear whose power is derived from piercing the Son of God. And did I mention that apparently the power of the Spear is to silence Personas? Like, on the one hand that makes some crazy sense because Jesus was a Persona or is one now or whatever the fuck, but on the other hand why the fuck did the Lance of Longinus develop the power to silence Personas? Did people have Personas back in the first century? Was Jesus Christ a Stand user? The mind boggles.

Anyway, the next major part is that Yukkino's boyfriend dies, and I wish I cared. I really wish I did, but 1) I barely know Yukkino herself and 2) I saw her boyfriend exactly one time in what I'm pretty sure was an optional, accidental meeting. So I don't really give a fuck, which is why TATS-MAN was like "Get up and get your ass in gear, we're going to fight some fucking Nazi's in an ancient Mayan Japanese structure created from the power of nonsense." I mean, I feel sad-ish for Yukkino, but beyond that, not a whole lot. Whether I was meant to feel something more or not is a matter of debate, I guess. Added to the category of things I don't give much of a shit about right now is saving Jun. I don't know who the fuck he is, he doesn't seem like that great of a friend from my flashbacks, and he's been such a shit to people that I don't care at all. People have died because of him now, too. Kinda hard to just overlook that.

As a parenthetical to all of this, is it just me or has every fucking thing that has transpired in this game taken place over the course of a single day? It hasn't been night time, nobody has gone home, and the only time when it could've been dark without my knowing was when I was trapped under the school.

The plot itself is pretty solid, though. I'm really liking the whole "Is this shit even happening?" feeling of the game, and rumors becoming reality is an unsettling, what really is the truth kinda feeling.

Squire

Banned
I hope the pre-order bonus is not some DLC and it's something physical, so it'll be easier to not pay who knows how much and wait until digital release... Though I really want it on day one, so...

One of the pre-order bonuses is a DLC story scenario, as per Japan's pre-order campaign. I don't see them leaving that content in Japan, so there ya go.

Persona 2

I was seriously, seriously unimpressed by that dungeon. Which is to say I hated it, and am pretty much of the opinion none of the dungeons in this series have ever been good. At least in Persona 4 I can see where the fuck I'm going, though. Holy shit at whoever decided it was a good idea to add branches jutting right the fuck into the player's line of sight in this game.

I actually cannot think of any single part of Persona 2's gameplay that is good. It's all functional, which is a fair stab above some RPGs I've played, and there's clearly some manner of depth to everything in the game, but between the battle system and the dungeons Persona 2 is like a neat comic book someone decided to tack RPG elements onto. In its defense, this is the PSX era and lots of things from that time don't play as well as I remember them playing but good God this mountain was a piece of shiiiiiiiiit to walk up.

But enough bitching about how I don't like the way these games play like Mesozoic pieces of shit, let's talk about the plot.

First of all, I think that Nazi Germany, er, the Last Batallion, has a MUCH cooler mechanical weapon going for itself than the Kirijo Group. Anti-Shadow Weapons designed to look like teenage girls? PLEASE. Bitch, let me show you my NAZI ANTI-PERSONA MECH WIELDING A SYNTHETIC LANCE OF LONGINUS CRAFTED BY ANCIENT ARYAN TECHNOLOGY! WE STABBED CRUCIFIED JEWS WITH THEM TO RECREATE THESE RESULTS!

No but seriously, not only have the Nazi's found the Spear of Destiny, but their science has created numerous copies of it somehow. And this is a Spear whose power is derived from piercing the Son of God. And did I mention that apparently the power of the Spear is to silence Personas? Like, on the one hand that makes some crazy sense because Jesus was a Persona or is one now or whatever the fuck, but on the other hand why the fuck did the Lance of Longinus develop the power to silence Personas? Did people have Personas back in the first century? Was Jesus Christ a Stand user? The mind boggles.

Anyway, the next major part is that Yukkino's boyfriend dies, and I wish I cared. I really wish I did, but 1) I barely know Yukkino herself and 2) I saw her boyfriend exactly one time in what I'm pretty sure was an optional, accidental meeting. So I don't really give a fuck, which is why TATS-MAN was like "Get up and get your ass in gear, we're going to fight some fucking Nazi's in an ancient Mayan Japanese structure created from the power of nonsense." I mean, I feel sad-ish for Yukkino, but beyond that, not a whole lot. Whether I was meant to feel something more or not is a matter of debate, I guess. Added to the category of things I don't give much of a shit about right now is saving Jun. I don't know who the fuck he is, he doesn't seem like that great of a friend from my flashbacks, and he's been such a shit to people that I don't care at all. People have died because of him now, too. Kinda hard to just overlook that.

As a parenthetical to all of this, is it just me or has every fucking thing that has transpired in this game taken place over the course of a single day? It hasn't been night time, nobody has gone home, and the only time when it could've been dark without my knowing was when I was trapped under the school.

The plot itself is pretty solid, though. I'm really liking the whole "Is this shit even happening?" feeling of the game, and rumors becoming reality is an unsettling, what really is the truth kinda feeling.

Wait...you didnt fight them head on at the bottom? If you did, you get a much easier dungeon :p Also yes, the general feeling is that its just the craziest day or two ever. Atlus didn't really care to insure something that would show the passage of time back then. in SMTIV I guess thats why they added the times where you go to bed and such.

Just had an email from Atlas, pre-orders go up today? The interesting part was that they hint at pre-order bonus possibly being shown at 'some big event on the horizon'.

On my phone so excuse if old.

Just had an email from Atlas, pre-orders go up today? The interesting part was that they hint at pre-order bonus possibly being shown at 'some big event on the horizon'.

On my phone so excuse if old.

I'm guessing E3 for the big event, if not that then EVO.

Also, ATLUS has updated the Ultimax site with a pre-order page. The link to GameStop contains a different description than the one on Best Buy's site (and, in fact, Best Buy isn't listed on the official site's list of retailers...):

An Army of Shadows is attacking. Who could be the one behind it all? Named IGN's Best Overall Fighting Game of 2012, and made an official selection of the Evolution Championship Series in 2013, Persona 4 Arena was a roaring success. Now, the ultimate tag team returns to present another super-heated battle! A collaboration between developers ATLUS and Arc System Works found resonance among the existing Persona/ATLUS fanbase and the hardcore fighting game community. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is the long-awaited sequel, and a continuation of the story originally set forth in the award-winning RPG Persona 4. Bringing the series full circle and tying together the plots of Persona 3 and Persona 4, fans will enjoy controlling beautifully animated character sprites and experiencing top-notch quality, fully voiced localization that brings the popular characters to life.

-Continuing the Story - The story picks up immediately following the events of the original Persona 4 Arena. As the heroes search for the mysterious force behind everything that's happened, the Midnight Channel begins to air once again in the town of Inaba. Now set in the real world, the P-1 CLIMAX is ready to be revealed!

-A Deep and Varied Roster of Playable Characters - Joining the fight anew are the fan favorites from Persona 3: bat-wielding Junpei Iori and the live action superhero actress, Yukari Takeba! A mysterious new character, Sho Minazuki, doesn't have the power of Persona. But with his fighting techniques involving two katanas and his intent to destroy whoever stands in his way, he will pose a huge threat to the Shadow Operatives and the Investigation Team. Worse yet, there seems to be someone who looks just like Sho, and actually wields a Persona...

-Unique Battle Systems - P4AU adds all-new depth to its combat system. Most of the characters now have a "Shadow" version with completely different fighting mechanics and other technicalities that appeal to the hardcore gamer and newcomer alike. The existing characters have new moves in their arsenal as well. Can you pull off the ultimate Instant Kill move and triumph over the opponent in style?

Now, we know that Rise is in the game, so Best Buy's description is still probably accurate, but I find it strange that ATLUS' official description for the game is so different from what Best Buy has and still does have on their site...

EDIT: GameStop also has a date of 9/30/2014 for Ultimax, which is also a Tuesday, so Best Buy's date might not be final either.

CorvoSol

Wait...you didnt fight them head on at the bottom? If you did, you get a much easier dungeon :p Also yes, the general feeling is that its just the craziest day or two ever. Atlus didn't really care to insure something that would show the passage of time back then. in SMTIV I guess thats why they added the times where you go to bed and such.

No I did go head on and that dungeon was STILL ass.

FluxWaveZ

I'm guessing E3 for the big event, if not that then EVO.

I feel that E3 would make more sense for whatever pre-order bonus it would be, unless it's a playable character. Either way, I guess both events are pretty close.

And yeah, September 30 is also a Tuesday, so I guess another possible date has come up. A bit weird that they wouldn't just say it now that they're taking pre-orders; there's a good chance it'll be revealed within a month, anyways.

Yeah, I was thinking the same about the message system. If they could somehow make it even better, it would be a great addition to P5!
It's interesting to hear stories about how these games affects us :D I must say that Catherine, P3 and P4 gave me a lot to think about and I'm sure I wouldn't be same person without those games.
Also, I' from South America, specifically from Argentina :D

Oh Argentina! Im from Spain. :)
Do you have a link to your music blog? would love to see it.

Is there no Arrange CD for Ultimax? Just the story DLC?

I get the impression that they're going to announce more details about Ultimax (and maybe PQ too) at E3 given the ATLUS Faithful email from earlier. Things like the DLC and any potential pack-ins will probably come then.

Dantis

I get the impression that they're going to announce more details about Ultimax (and maybe PQ too) at E3 given the ATLUS Faithful email from earlier. Things like the DLC and any potential pack-ins will probably come then.

I suppose I'm more interested in the PQ Arrange CD, but I'll still look into getting the Ultimax one even if I don't buy the game.

abrack08

I haven't done one of these in a while, so here's the next Persona:

Go here for the full scoop.

My first thought, for some reason, was "Hey! That looks a lot like one of the MegaMan Battle Network characters"

Then I googled it

210px-NumberEXE.jpg

Not nearly as close as it was in my head, other than the round-ish clear head

CorvoSol

Persona 2

It's not that fighting
hilariously arrogant Nazi mecha wielding imitation Holy lances
isn't fun or anything, but why in the fuck
did I fight three of them instead of getting to fight Yukkino's shadow? Yukkino's Shadow seemed fucking awesome and was on screen for THREE SECONDS.

Nope. Time to go back to getting attacked every 5 steps. 3 if I stop to look at my map!

FUCK THIS GAME'S ENCOUNTER RATE.

PK Gaming

Persona 2

It's not that fighting
hilariously arrogant Nazi mecha wielding imitation Holy lances
isn't fun or anything, but why in the fuck
did I fight three of them instead of getting to fight Yukkino's shadow? Yukkino's Shadow seemed fucking awesome and was on screen for THREE SECONDS.

Nope. Time to go back to getting attacked every 5 steps. 3 if I stop to look at my map!

FUCK THIS GAME'S ENCOUNTER RATE.

You get to fight Yukino's Shadow if you leave Yukino behind.

Here's the link (IS spoilers)

The scene leading up to her shadow confrontation is amaaaaazing.

PK Gaming

According to Buddha,
you permalose her if you let that happen?

She leaves the party either way due to "reasons", but when Shadow Yukino jumps off into the abyss of unconsciousness, that ends up affecting Yukino too. She ends up being in a comatose state for the rest of the game...

Moonlight

Banned
Ah, yeah. That would, uh, do it.

That scene is definitely a lot cooler than the 'better' outcome, though. And am I going crazy or
was Shadow Yukino totally making out with Anna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom