• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Is that just for the standard edition or does the TYH edition get it too?

(Sorry if they mentioned that in the video. I muted the audio so I wouldn't have the music stuck in my head lol)

Dantis

Waypoint's preview is up. https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/addressing-the-eye-popping-and-perplexing-imagery-of-persona-5

It's largely glowing, but isn't afraid to call out stuff like Ann's outfit clashing with her character arc. It's not surprising coming from waypoint, but a valid thought that's been in the back of my head as well.

Review thread is gonna be interesting.
This is a really good article. I remember raising a similar point when I played through the first dungeon.

In my opinion, everything about the thief designs is bad and silly. The game would be better off without them.

I also really agree that it's more than the sum of its parts. P3 and P4 had their own garbage, but the larger picture allowed you to overlook it.

Has the Persona 5 Review Thread been claimed? Can it be claimed?

If the answers are no and yes respectively, I'd like to be the one to post the Review Thread, assuming that's alright.

Dantis

Has the Persona 5 Review Thread been claimed? Can it be claimed?

If the answers are no and yes respectively, I'd like to be the one to post the Review Thread, assuming that's alright.
No idea if it can be claimed. Just put if up before anyone else, I suppose.

88%. Still my prediction.

Lunar15

This is a really good article. I remember raising a similar point when I played through the first dungeon.

In my opinion, everything about the thief designs is bad and silly. The game would be better off without them.

I also really agree that it's more than the sum of its parts. P3 and P4 had their own garbage, but the larger picture allowed you to overlook it.

I like the thief designs a lot, aside from Futaba's and Ann's. Like Jintor said, I saw it as them taking the labels society cast on them. Society's branded them as renegades or outcasts for whatever reason, and the outlandish style of the palace outfits is an outward reflection of that. It's taken to an extreme, but I think that's basically what Soejima's going for there: stereotypes of thieves cranked up to eleven.

Soejima thrives in the garish to an extent. I love his down to earth character work, but I also think that contrasting it against blunt symbolism works pretty well. You saw this all throughout P3 and P4 as well. There's enough thought behind it for me to accept the outlandish and have fun with those designs.

nan0

Any word on how the difficulty compares to SMT IV? Found the Easy difficulty to be perfect for me, but I don't want to play on Safety in P5

PK Gaming

The thief designs are good and great

I'm so glad we're not just running around with highschoolers in their uniforms

Because that's so 2008

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

TBH I think the only outfit I really like with no caveats is the Protag's in the vein of a 'phantom thief'. The others okay to good, with Ann's being the 'odd one out', such as it were.

I'm not even sure I get the reference, if any, to Makoto's outfit. The rest I kind of get in relation to their story-lines and such.

88%. Still my prediction.

Hmm....every press reviewer I've seen talk about it explicitly has been pretty gushing. I'd say right around 90ish.

I'm guessing the major 'downsides' people might take issue with is going to be some combination of the length, the return of the negotiation system (especially if people have only played P3 and P4, though I admittedly haven't seen if the system is less random now when trying to recruit persona when compared to the older SMT games, which could help on that front), or having too much to do that it gets overwhelming.

Lunar15

The main thing that's going to "hurt" it in reviews (if you really care about scores rather than content) is just that it's extremely hard to top your first time with something. I doubt a lot of reviewers are going to want to rank it higher than P4 (or P3 for that matter) in their head because the novelty of what Persona tries to do had such an impact at the time. P5, for all that it improves upon and refines, is still along the same lines as those two games.

But it's possible for a review's content to talk to the subtleties of how a game is being perceived subjectively while still talking about it's strengths and weaknesses objectively. Balancing the two is key to a good review. Scores, however, throw all that nuance in the trash.

Persona 4 Golden holds a 93% on MC - I don't see how a game that I've heard improves on past entries enormously will get anything lower than that.

It hasn't gotten old enough (or been so soon after P4G) to the majority of reviewers for them to doc so many points.

It's looking like a 10/10 for me so far. I've been discussing the game with my fellow critics, and the game is gonna get very high marks with a lot of them. 88% is a bit of a low estimate!

MSMrRound

Persona 5 is great, but not without its flaws (as one of those that played through the import version)

What he probably mean is that some of the reviewers will bound to pick on those points such as Ann's outfit which you guys mentioned earlier, how certain groups were treated in the game etc, so don't be surprised if some of those factors somehow affect the score in the minds of those reviewers.

My personal take would be to just enjoy your time with the game, don't take into account how much the game is getting rated and what's not.

If you ask me...if a friend was to ask me how much I'll rate it, after much of an afterthought, it's a very solid 8~9 range to me. By no means it is perfect.

It's going to be in the high end that's for sure, going by most of these previews, but I'm going to have to bail out if people start doing the usual " but_____ came out a couple months earlier and scored higher than P5, does that mean P5 is weaker than ____?/ Persona 5 beats _____" that kind of nonsense.

Of course like I said, these are only some of my own thoughts, so no need to read too deeply into it. Keeping expectations in check is just a rather good thing to do, I feel.

I've been all over the place on my review predictions. After reading the previews, I'm gonna guess 92 on Metacritic. These scores never affect my enjoyment of the game, but I do really root for my favorite franchises to get as much praise/attention as possible. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Although some people have been taking it a bit too far lately I guess.

Dantis

That's only because Dantis seems to be on a crusade to 'temper expectations' or whatever the hell that means

A crusade? Hardly. I just bring it up now and again.

I like the thief designs a lot, aside from Futaba's and Ann's. Like Jintor said, I saw it as them taking the labels society cast on them. Society's branded them as renegades or outcasts for whatever reason, and the outlandish style of the palace outfits is an outward reflection of that. It's taken to an extreme, but I think that's basically what Soejima's going for there: stereotypes of thieves cranked up to eleven.

Soejima thrives in the garish to an extent. I love his down to earth character work, but I also think that contrasting it against blunt symbolism works pretty well. You saw this all throughout P3 and P4 as well. There's enough thought behind it for me to accept the outlandish and have fun with those designs.

I think my issue is the same as the day when the game was first shown: they just don't look good. The game tries so hard to be stylish, and then has the dumbest, goofiest looking characters you can imagine. It's not cool and it's not stylish.

They definitely feel to me like Soejima tapping into his Arena-esque designs.

Persona 4 Golden holds a 93% on MC - I don't see how a game that I've heard improves on past entries enormously will get anything lower than that.

It hasn't gotten old enough (or been so soon after P4G) to the majority of reviewers for them to doc so many points.

If you're thinking that 93% is lowballing its score, I believe you are mistaken.

Persona 5 is great, but not without its flaws (as one of those that played through the import version)

What he probably mean is that some of the reviewers will bound to pick on those points such as Ann's outfit which you guys mentioned earlier, how certain groups were treated in the game etc, so don't be surprised if some of those factors somehow affect the score in the minds of those reviewers.

My personal take would be to just enjoy your time with the game, don't take into account how much the game is getting rated and what's not.

If you ask me, it's a very solid 8~9 range. By no means it is perfect.

It's going to be in the high end that's for sure, going by most of these previews, but I'm going to have to bail out if people start doing the usual " but_____ came out a couple months earlier and scored higher than P5, does that mean P5 is weaker than ____?/ Persona 5 beats _____" that kind of nonsense.

Of course like I said, these are only some of my own thoughts, so no need to read too deeply into it. Keeping expectations in check is just a rather good thing to do, I feel.

This guy knows what's up.

TBH I think the only outfit I really like with no caveats is the Protag's in the vein of a 'phantom thief'. The others okay to good, with Ann's being the 'odd one out', such as it were.

I'm not even sure I get the reference, if any, to Makoto's outfit. The rest I kind of get in relation to their story-lines and such.

Hmm....every press reviewer I've seen talk about it explicitly has been pretty gushing. I'd say right around 90ish.

I'm guessing the major 'downsides' people might take issue with is going to be some combination of the length, the return of the negotiation system (especially if people have only played P3 and P4, though I admittedly haven't seen if the system is less random now when trying to recruit persona when compared to the older SMT games, which could help on that front), or having too much to do that it gets overwhelming.
I think Makoto's outfit is meant to be in the style of modern heist films like The Place Beyond The Pines.

A crusade? Hardly. I just bring it up now and again.

I feel as if you're bringing it up in every post of yours I see.

If you're thinking that 93% is lowballing its score, I believe you are mistaken.

I never once said the word low-balling, and even moreso, I never said 93% was lowballing.

I did, however, say that Persona 5 improves on Persona 4 Golden in most ways, and that to assume it's going to get 5% less than P4G (the game on which it improves upon) seems to be a bit much.

It'll get around the same or slightly better (i.e: 91 +/- 5) An 88 is too low.

Dantis

There's a perfectly good reason for that: Persona is the only game that I post about. Right now, all eyes are on P5, and when people discuss their opinions on aspects of it, I throw mine in also.

Saying that the game will average 88% is hardly the harshest of critiques, so it's not like everything I say is blasting it.

Also if you think 93% is the lowest that it's going to get, that's lowballing it.

And considering he seems to enjoy P4 the most...it seems to me as though Dantis doesn't want the new game to upset his golden goose.

But....

Lipton_Kermit.png

Dantis, you had very specific hangups about the game based on the things you specifically like about Persona, but you also said that most people wouldn't have the same ones you did.

So just because you'd give it an 88 doesn't mean that most people would, by your own admission.

It was. P5 has a lot of 'look how awesome and unbeatable the party are!' moments. That's what I'm referring to. It did nothing for me, but I'm sure some people will love it.

And the fact I played it in Japanese doesn't change much of what I've been saying. I'm not remotely endeared to the characters, but that's not something I bring up when talking about playing the game. Regardless of language, I still think the narrative is bad. I still think the final boss theme is underwhelming. I still the the last 20% of the story is kinda dumb and uninteresting.

Every time someone says 'you only dislike it because you didn't understand it', I think they're missing what I disliked.

Some people will love Persona 5 (yay!). Some people will not (oh no!). Some people, like me, will think that it starts out incredibly strong and gets progressively less so. As a game it's good all the way through. That's what matters. It's also worth remembering that I thought P3's story was trash, and P4's turns bad in the final dungeon.

Sophia

I like most of the thief outfits, myself. Especially Haru's. With exception of Ann's, they're all thematically appropriate, and fairly well done.

Ann's outfit... I have no problem with it being the Catwoman style type, but I don't even know how that outfit is suppose to work. It would be slightly impractical to put that outfit on. >_>;

The main thing that's going to "hurt" it in reviews (if you really care about scores rather than content) is just that it's extremely hard to top your first time with something. I doubt a lot of reviewers are going to want to rank it higher than P4 (or P3 for that matter) in their head because the novelty of what Persona tries to do had such an impact at the time. P5, for all that it improves upon and refines, is still along the same lines as those two games.

But it's possible for a review's content to talk to the subtleties of how a game is being perceived subjectively while still talking about it's strengths and weaknesses objectively. Balancing the two is key to a good review. Scores, however, throw all that nuance in the trash.

I mean, it's kind of weird. Technically Persona 4 came out 7+ years ago, so I'm not sure if this will hurt reviews that badly simply because there's nothing else like Persona out there. Likewise, the quality of the game is a significant step up across the board, regardless of how one feels about specific elements.

Also if you think 93% is the lowest that it's going to get, that's lowballing it.

I don't understand.

93 is a great score, and I never once said it was the lowest score it's going to get, or that it's a lowball (which are complete opposite things).

A lowball is a low estimate. (i.e: Your 88)

My estimate was 93%. (More specifically, 91 + or - 5) I never once stated "The lowest score it is going to get."

Dantis

Dantis, you had very specific hangups about the game based on the things you specifically like about Persona, but you also said that most people wouldn't have the same ones you did.

So just because you'd give it an 88 doesn't mean that most people would, by your own admission.

This is a fine post. And maybe you're right!

But my belief is that it will average 88%. It's just a prediction. No need to hung up on it at all.

I never once stated "The lowest score it is going to get."

I don't see how a game that I've heard improves on past entries enormously will get anything lower than that.

I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what it is.

Setsu00

I like most of the thief outfits, myself. Especially Haru's. With exception of Ann's, they're all thematically appropriate, and fairly well done.

Ann's outfit... I have no problem with it being the Catwoman style type, but I don't even know how that outfit is suppose to work. It would be slightly impractical to put that outfit on. >_>;

I'm totally interested in reading Soejima's comments about them. Hopefully he did say something about them in the full art book... I'm still waiting for my copy as my retailer was sold out :(.

I mean, it's kind of weird. Technically Persona 4 came out 7+ years ago, so I'm not sure if this will hurt reviews that badly simply because there's nothing else like Persona out there. Likewise, the quality of the game is a significant step up across the board, regardless of how one feels about specific elements.

This is exactly what I'm thinking.

It's been 5 years since Persona 4 Golden released to a 93% Metacritic, and in that time, there's been no game like it; That is, until Persona 5 hits in April.

This, in combination with the improvements its made in several areas makes me think it'll release to similar critical acclaim. (~93%)

I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what it is.

Well, you've got me there, I'd forgotten my first reply to you where I'd used that wording. If it helps, I meant to clarify that statement with my subsequent replies.

It'll release around 93+ on average, but it goes without saying that certain places will love it, while certain places will just not connect with it. On average, however, like I mention in my reply to Sophia, I believe it'll receive just as much critical acclaim as P4G.

It just makes sense.

More sense than it losing 5% on a game that it improves upon.

Sophia

I'm totally interested in reading Soejima's comments about them. Hopefully he did say something about them in the full art book... I'm still waiting for my copy as my retailer was sold out :(.

Definitely would be interested to hear about them. Ann's outfit is weirdly impractical from a design standpoint, but the rest are all pretty cool.

Lunar15

I don't care what y'all predict the score will be. I just don't want any DDOS attacks on Jim Sterling or Uncharted 3 thread debacles.

I don't care what y'all predict the score will be. I just don't want any DDOS attacks on Jim Sterling or Uncharted 3 thread debacles.

yyyeah... I don't think we're quite big enough for that.

Not after the delays took all the air out of the mainstream attention the series was getting.

Mediking

Just downloaded Yusuke's avatar stuff on PSN. It just hit me that he has a really cool design. I wonder what kinda guy he is.

I can't find Yusuke's theme though...

Edit: Just found the theme! THIS SONG IS GOOD!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS_kPKA9plA

Interesting timing.

Wonder if this caused the issue.

This is why I think all of the TYH orders are going to be cancelled. I'm wondering if I should be proactive and call my gamestop. How many more plush cats do I need anyway? Plus, I'm going to end up importing the full soundtrack anyway.

If there's any ~outrage~ my guess will be that it matches Zelda's score and how dare a lowly low budget weeb franchise occupy the same space as Nintendo's Magnum Opus.

yyyeah... I don't think we're quite big enough for that.

Not after the delays took all the air out of the mainstream attention the series was getting.
I'm still a little salty about that.
The hype when that February 2015 trailer came out was out of this world.
Persona 5 was trending on twitter and everybody was making analyse video's on it.
But now there is barely any of that.

I'm still a little salty about that.
The hype when that February 2015 trailer came out was out of this world.
Persona 5 was trending on twitter and everybody was making analyse video's on it.
But now there is barely any of that.

It's sad to think about, that's for sure.

Imagine if we were still riding the hype train into February & got it then.

Mediking

Comparing the views of the JP trailers and the recent English trailers is pretty sad.
I mean I know that there is a lot of time between them but it is not even close :(
JP story trailer: 2.398.007
Most viewed English story trailer: 119.171

I haven't seen a Persona 5 trailer in forever. I barely know/remember any of the cast names. Been on a media blackout. Got a feeling other people are doing the same.

I understand striking while the iron is hot but don't fret. Persona 5 is gonna sell well. Gonna hit a million.

Persona is def not as niche as it once was. It's to the point where, I bet if they end up doing an anime adaption, Toonami would air it. "Premier" RPGs are a rare breed now. It's going to sell fine, and all the outlets are going to call it a "sleeper hit" until it can't possibly be described as such anymore.

Western gaming media isn't going to float it around as GOTY though.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Comparing the views of the JP trailers and the recent English trailers is pretty sad.
I mean I know that there is a lot of time between them but it is not even close :(
JP story trailer: 2.398.007
Most viewed English story trailer: 119.171

TBH I would imagine that a lot of people who are 'in the know' regarding Persona were following the JP trickle of information at the time, because it's all any of us had. That also includes stuff like fansubs, speculation, etc...

With stuff like the continual delays in NA (even past the original 5 month localization delay between September to February), as well as not showing a whole lot of 'new' stuff that didn't retread the JP trailers, that was kind of always bound to happen, though.

Sophia

TBH I would imagine that a lot of people who are 'in the know' regarding Persona were following the JP trickle of information at the time, because it's all any of us had. That also includes stuff like fansubs, speculation, etc...

With stuff like the continual delays in NA (even past the original 5 month localization delay between September to February), as well as not showing a whole lot of 'new' stuff that didn't retread the JP trailers, that was kind of always bound to happen, though.

I've barely paid attention to the English trailers myself. I only ever watch them to see how the dub is. So yeah, you're probably right.

Top Bottom