• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Finally finished it
95 hours
All confidants maxed
84% compendium completion

I've seen a few people saying this in the OT as well. Having gone in blind I'm in November/December and there are some pretty big gaps in my links (I've had Sojiro sitting on 2 since the start of the game). Did you follow a guide/check what other players were doing each day to max everything on the first run?

Given the number of stat-gates I've run into (still haven't maxed Guts) I just resigned myself to doing it in NG+. If people are doing it first time around I assume it'll be a breeze with maxed stats, especially as you can get going on people like Iwai so much sooner.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I've seen a few people saying this in the OT as well. Having gone in blind I'm in November/December and there are some pretty big gaps in my links (I've had Sojiro sitting on 2 since the start of the game). Did you follow a guide/check what other players were doing each day to max everything on the first run?

Given the number of stat-gates I've run into (still haven't maxed Guts) I just resigned myself to doing it in NG+. If people are doing it first time around I assume it'll be a breeze with maxed stats, especially as you can get going on people like Iwai so much sooner.

Nah no guide but after noticing the stat gates I did restart the game around palace 2 and I look up what ranks confidants had stat gates and when they gave out mementos missions so I tried to line all that up. I just took people's advice and got fortune to rank 7 asap and abused the hell out of it.

Futaba actually almost screwed me at one point because I thought my kindness was going to rank up before it actually did so I had to plan things out a bit differently, same with hifumi and iwai having a couple of times where despite having had a matching arcana and great conversation with them AND an affinity reading they wouldn't rank up without having a hang out scene first.

Honestly as far as getting max slinks go p5 is definitely the easiest one but requires a lot of planning early on when you're leveling stats, and if you messed it up in NG then doing it in NG+ with all stats maxed will be smooth sailing.

Now that I have beaten it:

P2EP > P5 = P4 > P2IS > P1 > P3

Every game from P2EP to P2IS (though the poor balancing/menu system of the PSP version does bring it down a little) are all amazing games imo. P1 I have a huge soft spot for and I do love that game even though yes it is pretty flawed. P3 is still a good game but for my money its def the weakest Persona game. It invented a whole new style for the series, but a style that I feel like P4 and 5 perfected.

I know you've mentioned it before, but still. Cray.

If I were to rank them arbitrarily, it'd be:

P5 > P3 > P2:EP = P2:IS > P4 >>> P1

P1 is the most polarizing game in the series by far. Most people who don't like the P2 duology's gameplay would still praise its story, but I doubt most would do the same for P1. I come from a very different place than most, having actually played Revelations: Persona back in 2000, so my immense soft spot for the game is obvious. An opinion that is becoming more common these days however, is that P1's gameplay actually holds up better than P2's.

An even more cray opinion of mine would be that P3 The Answer > P3 The Journey. I think I might be the only one who feels that way haha, but The Answer gave me a more traditional Persona 1-2 game back when I craved that more.

PK Gaming

P5 > P4 > P3P > P3FES > P1 > P2:IS > P2:EP

P5 is the best Persona game on pretty much every front, with some flaws keeping it from true perfection.

P4 is a game that somehow manages to be good in spite of its very obvious shortcomings. The SoL moments are incomparable, and it's the ultimate pick up and play Persona game. The definition of a game that's more than the sum of its parts.

P3 was revolutionary at the time of its release. Every single aspect of the game is in service to its core theme (live your life to the fullest; remember you will die) with a good narrative, a great cast of dynamic characters and one of the greatest endings of all time. The game's pacing is atrocious however, and the gameplay isn't that fun. P3P gets the edge because of the superb FeMC route and the fact that it cuts most of the fat, but it's still not that fun.

P1 is a simple game with a good story, and really likeable characters (that deserve better). The dungeon design and gameplay are passable.

P2 still arguably has the strongest cast and narrative to date. But none of that changes the fact that it has the worst gameplay in the series, and it's easily one of the worst RPGs I have ever played.

From best to worst:

P4 Ultimax: I'm not really one for fighting games, but something about the story just drew me in. The P4 cast was ok before, but adding Sho to the dynamic really took things to the next level, and they really did a great job of balancing such a large cast in a way that really drew out the character's strengths

P4 Arena: Being able to experience the story from so many different perspectives was a fantastic decision, and really added extra layers to the narrative.

P4D: Introducing a large number of new characters so late in the game was a risk, but one that paid off, with the new cast feeling well fleshed out and not in any way overshadowing the original P4 cast.

PQ: A well paced story from start to finish that highlighted the strongest parts of the Persona 4 cast, on top of a well balanced and unexpolitable combat system.

P4: Decent origin story, but I think the followup titles make me look back on it more fondly than I otherwise would have

P5: Not sure why they completely rebooted here. Previous titles felt like they were building up to something, so a complete reboot just feels like a waste.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
P4 still takes the cake for me, followed by P5 then P3 which is just above P1 for me.

I still need to play the P2 games, waiting for a PSN sale on those since I missed the last one and I would love to replay P1 on the PSP which seems like a much better experience but I honestly quite liked the story, the SEBEC route had a pretty cool climax.

I think what ultimately pushes P4 over P5 for me is that despite P5 being a much better video game a lot of the little moments in P4 just add up over the course of the game to give me a much stronger attachment to the cast.

Moments like the kings game, the school trip, the hotel scene, the ski trip, the culture festival, the concert, the ms yaso pageant and all the little story interludes where it really felt like it was a group of people who would truly be friends forever came together.

The P5 cast just felt a lot less interwoven, and I felt like I didn't really care for them as much as I did the P4 cast. Also despite P5s finale and lead up being a lot more tense and exciting the pay off in P4s was ultimately stronger for some reason I can't quite say why.

But honestly they're all phenomenal games.

Mediking

There's alotta quality of life stuff in P5 that makes the game an enjoyable experience like after you solve part of a puzzle in a Palace... a party member will prompt you to warp to where you need to go instead of running all the way back there. It made Palace 3 alot more enjoyable for sure.

Many other quality of life stuff is hidden behind social links too.

But....

If a story event happens and I can't even do anything IN THE EVENING and all I'm doing is going to bed because Morgana claims I'm so dang tired..... THEN JUST SKIP TO THE NEXT DAY!!!!!!!!!

On the leadup to the third palace, why does the game
keep calling the person who controls Shibuya a mafia boss; isn't this a yakuza boss? I haven't met him yet, so maybe this is explained later. Is this just a bad localization thing? I mean Sega has a whole series called Yakuza! I think most everyone in the west has heard of the yakuza.

I'm at 70 hours and haven't even gone in the 3rd palace yet. I think I'm playing this a bit more slowly than others...

An even more cray opinion of mine would be that P3 The Answer > P3 The Journey. I think I might be the only one who feels that way haha, but The Answer gave me a more traditional Persona 1-2 game back when I craved that more.

The Answer is one of the worst experiences in games I've had, not only for the soul-sucking, mind-numbing, endless shitty dungeons, but also for ruining characters I loved. Nobody needed that answer.

Sophia

The PSP version of Persona 1 is a better game than either half of Persona 2. But Persona 2 easily has the better story.

I don't think I could rank Persona 1 or either half of Persona 2 in the same ranking as Persona 3, 4, and 5. The gameplay is just too different. Likewise, I'm not gonna try and rank the spinoffs either, given they're all different genres. >.<;

That being said, within the Hashino designed games: P5 > P3 > P4. I appreciate the more ambitious nature of Persona 5 and Persona 3. Persona 4 plays it heavily safe in a lot of aspects, dialing back anything the developer didn't feel worked in Persona 3, and doubling down on anything that did. It feels like a Blizzard expansion pack to World of Warcraft, rather than a proper game in it's own right. Plus, vanilla Persona 4 had terrible balance. Persona 5 has the best balance of the bunch, and is the most polished of the games.

And from a story perspective, I just didn't resonate with the Persona 4 cast the way I did with the Persona 3 and 5 casts. I dunno why.

On the leadup to the third palace, why does the game
keep calling the person who controls Shibuya a mafia boss; isn't this a yakuza boss? I haven't met him yet, so maybe this is explained later. Is this just a bad localization thing? I mean Sega has a whole series called Yakuza! I think most everyone in the west has heard of the yakuza.

I'm at 70 hours and haven't even gone in the 3rd palace yet. I think I'm playing this a bit more slowly than others...

The Answer is one of the worst experiences in games I've had, not only for the soul-sucking, mind-numbing, endless shitty dungeons, but also for ruining characters I loved. Nobody needed that answer.

Game uses yakuza in a few places too. I guess the mafia is a separate entity, but could also be a localisation thing.

Sophia

The Answer is where
Aigis starts being a good character for once.
Fite me.

Counter-argument:
It is Persona 3 FES as a whole, and not merely The Answer, that fuel's Aigis character development. A lot of new scenes in FES, particularly her social link, exist for that purpose. Although she easily has the best character development in The Answer.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The Answer is where
Aigis starts being a good character for once.
Fite me.

You're not wrong but I couldn't help but feel like FES's added epilogue was just kind of unnecessary and that P3 concluded perfectly without it the scenes throughout the main game were more than enough.

It's kind of how P4G would be way better if they just didn't have marie.

FES would be better without the answer. It's not that the answer is bad, i just didn't need it.

You're not wrong but I couldn't help but feel like FES's added epilogue was just kind of unnecessary and that P3 concluded perfectly without it the scenes throughout the main game were more than enough.

It's kind of how P4G would be way better if they just didn't have marie.

FES would be better without the answer. It's not that the answer is bad, i just didn't need it.

As much as I hate The Answer, I think it's a pretty good example of "reality ensues".

Mediking

The PSP version of Persona 1 is a better game than either half of Persona 2. But Persona 2 easily has the better story.

I don't think I could rank Persona 1 or either half of Persona 2 in the same ranking as Persona 3, 4, and 5. The gameplay is just too different. Likewise, I'm not gonna try and rank the spinoffs either, given they're all different genres. >.<;

That being said, within the Hashino designed games: P5 > P3 > P4. I appreciate the more ambitious nature of Persona 5 and Persona 3. Persona 4 plays it heavily safe in a lot of aspects, dialing back anything the developer didn't feel worked in Persona 3, and doubling down on anything that did. It feels like a Blizzard expansion pack to World of Warcraft, rather than a proper game in it's own right. Plus, vanilla Persona 4 had terrible balance. Persona 5 has the best balance of the bunch, and is the most polished of the games.

And from a story perspective, I just didn't resonate with the Persona 4 cast the way I did with the Persona 3 and 5 casts. I dunno why.

And just like that... Sophia has been elevated to queen status. Lol thank you for saying this!!!!!!!

Sophia

And just like that... Sophia has been elevated to queen status. Lol thank you for saying this!!!!!!!

To be fair, I've said it before several times. :p

When I originally played Persona 4, the only member of the cast I could genuinely related to was Yukiko. And that's because she's pretty much a video game version of me. I didn't think the rest of the cast were bad by any means, but their problems seemed so mundane outside of the murder-mystery aspect. It was only around the time of the first Persona 4 anime did I start resonating with the other cast members.

In contrast, I found characters to like near instantly in Persona 5. Even before the game was released, no less. And while it took me awhile to finish Persona 3, I came to really like most of the cast as a whole by the time it finished.

Sophia

I had no problem with "characters move on with their lives", but did have a problem with "character suddenly has major personality shift". It was bad writing.

... did anyone really have a major personality shift in The Answer? The cast felt the same to me as always, just now
they acted like people typically do when they lose a loved one. Especially considering they lost the protagonist for reasons they don't understand.

PK Gaming

The Answer was pretty good. Seeing the post character development characters function
without their leader
was nice. and the scenes that led up to each character's Awakening was great. Dungeon crawling was alright. Good challenge, but incredibly long with little to change things up.

Metis was hilarious. Super contrived mess of a character who blatantly panders to people who wanted another robot waifu. That said, I ended up liking her in the end. She's silly, but genuine and her pseudo siscon obsession with Aigis was hilarious. Oh and she was crazy strong in combat. P3 characters are pretty damn boring in battle, but I had a ton of fun using Metis.

EDIT: I still can't believe The Answer failed to develop the character who needed it the most (Fuuka).

Setsu00

... did anyone really have a major personality shift in The Answer? The cast felt the same to me as always, just now
they acted like people typically do when they lose a loved one. Especially considering they lost the protagonist for reasons they don't understand.

Agreed.
People like to bitch about Yukari in The Answer, but her reactions are completely justified by the situation.

Sophia

Agreed.
People like to bitch about Yukari in The Answer, but her reactions are completely justified by the situation.

Yukari's always had mood swinging tendencies, and the stress of losing someone so important to her (especially if she's the canonical love interest) is taking it's toll.

Mitsuru always had honor before reasons tendencies, and seeing someone who basically gave her a new meaning in life be in such trouble no doubt pushed her to side with them, even if it was illogical. Mitsuru is handling it a little bit better than Yukari too, as she's already lost someone she loved dearly.

Aigis is effectively a child experiencing the death of a loved one for the first time. She was slightly impacted when Shijiro died, but now it's hitting her fully and she understands the implications on an emotional level. The whole point of Metis is that she basically doesn't know how to deal with it. And responds by... not dealing with it. Metis herself is a representation of Aigis's passive-aggressive tendencies to the extreme. The P3 guide book makes note of this.

Junpei and Akihiko are basically handling it the best, because they've lost a loved one already. We're also seeing the end development of their characterization. Especially with Junpei being the most level-headed member of the cast. He's mellowed out and matured, basically.

Fuuka and Koromaru basically have no character development, but then one of them is a dog and the writers don't ever seem to know what to do with Fuuka so... *shrugs*

Lynx_7

Does the psn port of P3FES run well? I've been kinda wanting to replay the game recently and I never did The Answer, so I figured it might be a good time after P5.

Yukari had a major shift which I don't think can be explained by loss alone. She had occasional bouts of depression during P3, and she was a bit selfish at times, but generally she was kind and loving. In The Answer she had turned into kind of an asshole. As for the others, honestly I've tried to forget about The Answer and to pretend it's not canon, so I'm not sure how everyone else changed.

I think The Answer is certainly not what I wanted to experience after the depressing conclusion of the original game. The protag's death should've brought the group closer, but instead it broke it apart. It was not pleasant to have characters I liked fighting and bickering with each other. I wanted something lighthearted and fun with the group after the original game, but instead it was even more melodrama.

Sophia

Does the psn port of P3FES run well? I've been kinda wanting to replay the game recently and I never did The Answer, so I figured it might be a good time after P5.

It runs fine. It's not really a "port", so much as it is an emulated classic tho.

Yukari had a major shift which I don't think can be explained by loss alone. She had occasional bouts of depression during P3, and she was a bit selfish at times, but generally she was kind and loving. In The Answer she had turned into kind of an asshole. As for the others, honestly I've tried to forget about The Answer and to pretend it's not canon, so I'm not sure how everyone else changed.

I think The Answer is certainly not what I wanted to experience after the depressing conclusion of the original game. The protag's death should've brought the group closer, but instead it broke it apart. It was not pleasant to have characters I liked fighting and bickering with each other. I wanted something lighthearted and fun with the group after the original game, but instead it was even more melodrama.

Sorting out their feelings regarding the Protagonist's death actually brought them closer together. And in the case of Yukari, depression tends to take it's toll on people. It's a pretty good continuation of the character traits established for her in the main game. Never mind the fact that she ends up apologizing for how she acted at the end of it all.

I love The Answer.

The, uh, story parts, the dungeon crawling can take a hike.
Having played it right after finishing P3 for the first time I found it to be an integral part of the story experience--so many video game stories screw up spectacularly on how to react to someone's death. It's the primary reason I detest FFX-2's true ending and Elizabeth's Arena story as much as I do. Accepting someone's death, coming to terms with your own grief, and moving on with your own life is a very healthy and important message that gets bungled so damn often, but I thought The Answer handled it spectacularly. The fights against the other party members was fairly contrived (and Mitsuru was disappointing in how little stake she seemed to have in anything related to the P3 protagonist), but Yukari's breakdown at the end of the sequence coupled with the ending being Aigis and Yukari coming together as friends in the end was very powerful for me.

Lynx_7

It runs fine. It's not really a "port", so much as it is an emulated classic tho.

I only asked because DDS and Raidou 1 apparently don't run very well, so I'm not sure how well they handled the Persona games. Glad to know there aren't any glaring issues though. That said, it's a damn shame they haven't put them up on the PS4 yet. Sony's ridiculous trophy requirements is probably what's keeping Atlus (and a lot of other companies) from doing it.

Honestly, I think Yukari's portrayal is pretty accurate when someone as mistrustful as she was at the beginning
has her living emotional crutch become a dead emotional crutch. Not to mention that she doesn't even know why and that the two key reminders of him go to the one person who didn't even show up to the funeral.

Dunno about you, but I'd sure as hell have a chip on my shoulder if I was in that situation.

its okay, framerate is fine, but there are some big issues, like the final required area of tartarus is really hard on your eyes cause

also i think it was fixed but there may be a save bug where the game will fail to save and delete the save you tried to overwrite, so if you didnt notice the save failed, you could be screwed over,

PK Gaming

Her shift in personality was completely justified. At the end of their adventure, the person she loved the most (after her father) died, and that experienced crushed her. She goes back to keeping people at arms length because she's just fucking tired of everything and everyone. The climax where she instigates saving the protagonist is one of the emotional cores of The Answer. The melodrama is honestly what saved it from being spinoff tier.

It's acceptable. I remember at one point the game freezing for 5 minutes during dialogue and me just having to sit there until it unfroze itself. I also remember a lot of surfaces flashing between it's intended color and white such as some walls in the later blocks of Tartarus and (final boss)
Nyx

Can I also add that,
while people blame Yukari for causing the team to split and fight, they're quick to ignore the fact that Metis (who we've established cares about nothing besides Aigis' well-being) is the one who pointed them towards a place to actually fight, and that Mitsuru enabled Yukari by siding with her (honour before reason that, you could argue, stays with Mitsuru even into Arena)

Sorting out their feelings regarding the Protagonist's death actually brought them closer together. And in the case of Yukari, depression tends to take it's toll on people. It's a pretty good continuation of the character traits established for her in the main game. Never mind the fact that she ends up apologizing for how she acted at the end of it all.

Sure, I can see what the writers were trying to do, but it just didn't feel true to me at the time. But ultimately I just didn't really want to play a game dealing with their emotional struggles and everyone split apart, I had just wanted a fun romp like FFX-2 or something. I enjoyed the characters because they were a tight group and wanted more of that.

Of course I was also just angry about The Answer in general, so maybe that colored my experience. I wasn't really active in forums at the time, so I bought FES sight unseen when it came out because I loved the original. I was under the mistaken impression that The Answer was an add-on adventure with all the original social aspects and activities. So you can imagine my surprise when I was stuck in the dorm doing dungeons over and over and over. I had such a negative reaction to The Answer that I didn't even go back and play FES itself until a couple years ago.

Others have already done a much better job of explaining the strengths of The Answer, so I'll just add that it made me love P3 more than The Journey itself. The fact that the writers just doubled down on P3's ending and didn't try to revise it was fantastic. And it gave me a new respect for Yukari, as she went from sort of interesting to a very genuine character reacting to something traumatizing.

Sure, I can see what the writers were trying to do, but it just didn't feel true to me at the time. But ultimately I just didn't really want to play a game dealing with their emotional struggles and everyone split apart, I had just wanted a fun romp like FFX-2 or something. I enjoyed the characters because they were a tight group and wanted more of that.

I dunno, I feel like that kind of game would actively be a disservice to the ending of Persona 3. The whole point of The Answer is to focus on the core themes of P3 and expand on them.

Mediking

To be fair, I've said it before several times. :p

When I originally played Persona 4, the only member of the cast I could genuinely related to was Yukiko. And that's because she's pretty much a video game version of me. I didn't think the rest of the cast were bad by any means, but their problems seemed so mundane outside of the murder-mystery aspect. It was only around the time of the first Persona 4 anime did I start resonating with the other cast members.

In contrast, I found characters to like near instantly in Persona 5. Even before the game was released, no less. And while it took me awhile to finish Persona 3, I came to really like most of the cast as a whole by the time it finished.

MinatoandAigishugging.gif

Lol its insane how I totally feel the same way about P4G. Amazing game with amazing music but the characters? Besides Yukiko and Naoto and maybe Teddie...

Sophia

MinatoandAigishugging.gif

Lol its insane how I totally feel the same way about P4G. Amazing game with amazing music but the characters? Besides Yukiko and Naoto and maybe Teddie...

Again, the characters are not bad. In the original game at least they are fantastically written compared to your average RPG. Especially compared to a lot of crap that was on the PS2.

They just didn't resonate with me at first because of the subject matter dealt with. :p

Mediking

Again, the characters are not bad. In the original game at least they are fantastically written compared to your average RPG. Especially compared to a lot of crap that was on the PS2.

They just didn't resonate with me at first because of the subject matter dealt with. :p

I agree. P4's cast isnt bad. Just dont have a huge impact on me.

That reminds me...

Who is your favorite character in the series and in P5?

Sophia

I agree. P4's cast isnt bad. Just dont have a huge impact on me.

That reminds me...

Who is your favorite character in the series and in P5?

... you're really asking me who my favorite character is across the series? Really? =P

As for Persona 5, I haven't decided yet. It's a cross up between Ryuji, Makoto, Futaba, and
Shiho.

The while cast is fantastic, however.

Rating the casts based on overall feelings of them:

P2EP > P2IS > P5 > P4 > P1 > P3

Fav characters in each game:

Persona: Eriko, Maki, Nanjo
Persona 2 Innocent Sin: Maya, Eikichi
Persona 2 Eternal Punishment: Tatsuya, Baofu
Persona 3: Yukari, Junpei, Shinjiro
Persona 4: Yukiko, Kanji
Persona 5: Makoto, Ann, Yusuke
Persona Spinoffs: Labrys

Fav character in the whole series:

post-303-1361322141.jpg

I dunno, I feel like that kind of game would actively be a disservice to the ending of Persona 3. The whole point of The Answer is to focus on the core themes of P3 and expand on them.

The ending of P3 was bittersweet, but overall positive.
MC sacrificed himself for his friends and the world. It was sad and surprising, but his friends were around him as he died and the promise was kept. I felt The Answer was way more out of left field, as it undid that peaceful ending. Hashino shouldn't have ended P3 that way if he wanted to show the team unable to cope with the loss of the MC.

Sophia

MC sacrificed himself for his friends and the world. It was sad and surprising, but his friends were around him as he died and the promise was kept. I felt The Answer was way more out of left field, as it undid that peaceful ending. Hashino shouldn't have ended P3 that way if he wanted to show the team unable to cope with the loss of the MC.

Honest question: Did you finish The Answer?

Because it pretty much literally ends on the most positive message possible, and we see the end results in Persona 4 Arena and Ultimax.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I can't decide if I want to go for an NG+ run of P5 or if I want to go back and finish 100%ing P4G.

Or play through P3FES again since you guys are making me feel like I may have judged it toooo dismissively.

Honest question: Did you finish The Answer?

Because it pretty much literally ends on the most positive message possible, and we see the end results in Persona 4 Arena and Ultimax.

Yes I did. Of course I played it when it came out, so I don't remember all the details now.

I didn't say the end result of the Answer was negative, but going from P3's peaceful conclusion to the beginning of The Answer, and all the emotional melodrama throughout it, was a huge shock and felt retconned from how P3 ended. That's why I said it felt more out of place than if The Answer had been a lighthearted adventure. It's not that their reactions to his death were unrealistic, but basically splitting up and becoming sort of indifferent to each other after they had formed such intense bonds (far more intense than the usual circle of school friends one has) didn't ring true for me.

Well that's the thing, isn't it?
His friends weren't around him as he died.
Everyone but Aigis showed up a second too late. That's what fuels the regret, the bitterness, the resentment.

Top Bottom