• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Sophia

I doubt we'll ever get it in English, but the cover for the P5 Maniax User Handbook is pretty great.

Source.

Full of information released for the first time, including new profiles for the Phantom Thief and Co-op characters, as well as development comments for the concept behind the whole co-op events and persona awakenings.

omg. Please bring it to English, someone. ;_;

Slept over at a friend with a PS4 between Thursday afternoon and Sunday morning. I'd lent him my copy of Persona 5 (I don't have a PS4 ;_;) so I had a chance to finally continue playing the game (last played it a month or so ago, up to the end of the first dungeon). Reached the middle of the fourth Palace on Hard (clocked 50 hours total).

The game's style is absolutely lovely, and the soundtrack (bar a few underwhelming daytime themes) is sublime. I can listen to Life Goes On for hours on end. I quite like the Confidants as well, they're unique and interesting characters.

I really liked what I saw of the plot, but I'm worried I am going too fast (averaged something like 11 hours and 20 minutes daily). This is especially because I've yet to form a connection to the cast and the setting. Somehow playing 3-4 hours a day and finishing a Persona game in 2-3 weeks feels like the better way to go. Also, we were staying as four friends at the sleepover so others were always watching. Perhaps that's why I haven't been able to hook myself into the atmosphere, also.

I've also been obsessed with the game for 1.5 years (found out about Persona by buying 4 Golden on a whim in November '15). Been listening to the released soundtracks since then, and practically all my wallpapers etc. have been Persona related. So I might have burned myself the fuck out on the game without even playing it.

The cast... is amazing individually (although Ryuji gets on my fucking nerves), but the group simply does not work. The cast doesn't interact in any interesting way. There's a lingering awkwardness whenever the Phantom Thieves convene, we see no intimacy or closeness or friendship. They haven't had almost any events between April through July. I have other pet peeves too- Makoto is bossing everyone around (which is fine, I love her self-discipline, but she just comes across as really cold) and Ann being the butt of pervy treatment is really, really tone deaf. Persona 4's characters weren't as well realized individually, but they worked incredibly well as a group and their mannerisms played off of each other. P5's cast just talks among itself whenever plot stuff comes up and we never see them acting like friends. I find that incredibly disappointing. P3 did something similar but that was because SEES was a group that was forced together by circumstance and that dynamic changed by the end, and it was obviously deliberate. In P5, it comes off as a spectacular failure in developing the group's relationship.

P.S: I love Futaba's characterization so far. Love it. The most interesting character by far.

P. P. S: Tae or Makoto? Need to pick one ;_;

P. P. P. S.: Morgana not letting you do shit at night is utter bullshit indeed, especially since there are Confidants and activities exclusive to evenings now.

Lynx_7

^I personally could never see myself enjoying a plot-heavy 100 hours long RPG like that. I wouldn't be able to engross myself either if I had to rush the game at a friend's house with other people watching. Is there nowhere you could rent a PS4? A relative willing to lent you for some time?

But you're not the first one to bring up the dynamic between the Phantom Thieves as a group being unsatisfying. It probably has something to do with the fact that we barely see them interacting outside of story related cutscenes, and even the few "having fun" sequences I've seen so far are either Phantom Thief related or extremely brief and not as fun as those in P4. Tbh, I don't think P-Studio intended this cast to be as close-knit as P4's, though they're also not as distant as P3's. I'm personally fine with the approach they went with, but I can see why some folks have trouble clicking with them. They could rectify this somewhat by adding slice of life scenes in an eventual revision.

^I personally could never see myself enjoying a plot-heavy 100 hours long RPG like that. I wouldn't be able to engross myself either if I had to rush the game at a friend's house with other people watching. Is there nowhere you could rent a PS4? A relative willing to lent you for some time?

But you're not the first one to bring up the dynamic between the Phantom Thieves as a group being unsatisfying. It probably has something to do with the fact that we barely see them interacting outside of story related cutscenes, and even the few "having fun" sequences I've seen so far are either Phantom Thief related or extremely brief and not as fun as those in P4. Tbh, I don't think P-Studio intended this cast to be as close-knit as P4's, though they're also not as distant as P3's. I'm personally fine with the approach they went with, but I can see why some folks have trouble clicking with them. They could rectify this somewhat by adding slice of life scenes in an eventual revision.

No, can't borrow a PS4. Even if I did, I live with my family so I'm bound to get continuously interrupted (I use a laptop, so no spare monitor I can use in my room). Best bet is local Remote Play on my Vita, but no one can lend me a PS4 (for weeks, to boot) either. Also, my internet is absolute dogshit so not sure how well that would work in the first place.

Nia

The fucking last section of (Third Palace spoilers)
Kaneshiro's Bank
is making me rage like I haven't raged in years. Seriously about to break something...or someone.

The fucking last section of (Third Palace spoilers)
Kaneshiro's Bank
is making me rage like I haven't raged in years. Seriously about to break something...or someone.
Do you mean
the big circular room where you unlock vaults one by one?
Yeah, that part is pretty tough. Do you have a Shiki-Ouji? It's Level 21 or so and it nulls physical, which comes in extremely handy in that part. I recommend (party)
Morgana,
Makoto's and Yusuke.

Sixth palace question:
is it normal that the first floor sub-boss gives you three levels of XP? I wasn't paying attention on the win screen and my jaw dropped when my Persona suddenly gained three skills in one fight. What's more odd is the second floor sub-boss was pretty difficult (Garudyne and Ziodyne all day with no weak points I could find), but I only got 800xp for it.

I posted this in the Persona 5 OT, but I also wanted to post this here in case anyone wanted to read random thoughts I had on P5 post completion:

FINALLY. After a long 120 hours (~115 taking into account idling time, and that's being generous), I am FINALLY done with the behemoth that is Persona 5. Easily my 2017 GOTY, and prolly my favorite of the three modern ones as well (though there are certain aspects that 3 and 4 did better). Adored the gameplay (even though the game ran too long for my liking), the plot was engaging (if a bit contrived for the final portion), the confidants were AWESOME (liked every single one, and Kawakami's in particular was great), and it overall feels like the most polished experience. It'll be hard to go back to the other two - procedurally generated dungeons just can't stack up to carefully designed ones. Some minor issues I had with Persona 5, however:

- ENDGAME SPOILERS:
Every Atlus game does this, but the whole "fight against god who thinks they know what's best for humans" is reeeeeally starting to get old. I don't even remember the theme of "humans prefer to not think and be mindless drones" even being well-integrated into the overall plot - it felt really contrived and at some points, "fake deep" (Morgana's speech before his Metaverse self disappeared in particular was cringe). However, I loved the twist with Igor and I think that the whole "reform society as vigilantes of justice" was executed perfectly. It's just when the game started lecturing us on the "free will of humanity" that I kinda lost interest (though it ties in nicely with the whole prison/shackle imagery they had going on in the game).
- I hated the mice puzzles in Shido's palace. Sooooo tedious, and so many of them. Most dungeons in general dragged on a bit long, but that was more my fault for always doing them in one go.
- Okumura arc was pretty trash, and Haru felt rushed as a character (though her Confidant line was one of the stronger ones).
-Speaking of Confidants, I don't even remember what Ann's was about. I was super disappointed that the game shoved her to the side post Kamoshida arc, and her Confidant line was generic and boring as all hell.
-Final boss theme was a bit weak, especially compared to the amazing battle themes within the game. Rivers in the Darkness and Life Will Change have made themselves permanent on future playlists.
- Romance wasn't done as well as P4G due to weaker events (Christmas in particular was weak - Valentine's Day felt like the only good one)/dialogue, but the increased number of romance options was prolly the reason for this.
-Those texts can be super redundant/infuriating, especially when you finish a palace. I don't need thirty "Is their heart gonna change? Did it work? Did it? Did it??" texts throughout the week, especially if we're on Palace 4. It was Golden Sun levels of reiterating each other over and over. Shido's arc was particularly bad about this.
-FeMC when????
jk..kinda

Overall though, loved my time with it. Got fatigued at certain points, but glad I stuck with it. Atlus certainly made a gem with this one :)

- ENDGAME SPOILERS:
Every Atlus game does this, but the whole "fight against god who thinks they know what's best for humans" is reeeeeally starting to get old. I don't even remember the theme of "humans prefer to not think and be mindless drones" even being well-integrated into the overall plot - it felt really contrived and at some points, "fake deep" (Morgana's speech before his Metaverse self disappeared in particular was cringe). However, I loved the twist with Igor and I think that the whole "reform society as vigilantes of justice" was executed perfectly. It's just when the game started lecturing us on the "free will of humanity" that I kinda lost interest (though it ties in nicely with the whole prison/shackle imagery they had going on in the game).

In my honest opinion, I found it more believable than the last two games', especially P3.

In my honest opinion, I found it more believable than the last two games', especially P3.

Oh yeah for sure. P4 in particular felt like an ass pull. I don't remember P3's plot well, but I thought it was well integrated into the overarching plot. Like, wasn't that the entire point of the game to
stop the impending apocalypse and fight against Apathy Syndrome or whatever?
. P5 was a bit better about it but the themes it went on about near the end felt random to me.

Lynx_7

Whenever I look at your username, I always misread the last 3 letters as... something else, TheNotoriousAFG.

So, I think I might've overdone my studies during the rainy season. I was like "well, gotta take advantage of the rain, right?" and now my Knowledge is already at 4 and I only just finished dungeon 3.

Also, is the daily exploration music going to change? I think the seasons have changed but this is still playing. I mean, it's not a bad track but it's by far the weakest "daily exploration" theme in the series and I can't see myself ever getting nostalgic about it the same way I do for Your Affection, Heartbeat Heartbreak or Memories of the City. So far this is the number 1 thing I want them to address in a revision.

Oh yeah for sure. P4 in particular felt like an ass pull. I don't remember P3's plot well, but I thought it was well integrated into the overarching plot. Like, wasn't that the entire point of the game to
stop the impending apocalypse and fight against Apathy Syndrome or whatever?
. P5 was a bit better about it but the themes it went on about near the end felt random to me.

P5: People want
to live easy lives without worrying about decisions.
P4: People want
to not have to know what's real... or not interact with people..?
P3: People want
to die.

So yeah. P5 wins in both believability and understandability.

P5: People want
to live easy lives without worrying about decisions.
P4: People want
to not have to know what's real... or not interact with people..?
P3: People want
to die.

So yeah. P5 wins in both believability and understandability.

I wasn't complaining about believability, more integration into the overall plot and the events preceding it haha. It just seemed random - I don't remember the game expounding on that idea before the twist. It seemed more focused on reforming society and people whom the law typically couldn't reach, vigilante of justice style.

EDIT: Though I guess you can argue that
the masses supporting Phantom Thieves/Shido since they were popular as evidence that they were sheeple that didn't think and just went with current trends, which ties into the idea of sloth/freedom to not think that the game brings up in the end.
It's something that makes sense in retrospect, but wasn't really clear while playing.

I wasn't complaining about believability, more integration into the overall plot and the events preceding it haha. It just seemed random - I don't remember the game expounding on that idea before the twist. It seemed more focused on reforming society and people whom the law typically couldn't reach, vigilante of justice style.

EDIT: Though I guess you can argue that
the masses supporting Phantom Thieves/Shido since they were popular as evidence that they were sheeple that didn't think and just went with current trends, which ties into the idea of sloth/freedom to not think that the game brings up in the end.
It's something that makes sense in retrospect, but wasn't really clear while playing.

I'm pretty sure Yusuke calls it out directly, but then again, it's pretty easy to miss.
Must've been a phone conversation...

Has there been any word from Udon as to whether the P3/P4 art books will get reprinted? I can't find anything through Google about it and it's been several months now.

D9kd1WP.jpg

Some people (and companies) just can't move on.

On another note, I realized that in Persona 5 -- for the first time in a SMT game I've played -- I'm fusing demons based on how the skills I pick fit into their mythological background, instead of trying to min-max the optimal skillset. I guess it's my way of adding a bit more depth to the Personas. It makes them feel a bit more unique to me.

Ok, speculation time!

Now I am throwing out a random number here, but lets say Persona gets 7 slots in this BBxTB game, who do you think is getting in?

P.s. Considering BBCF has 36 characters, and this is a game that is going to be heavy on asset reuse, I dont see a 40 character roster (10 per franchise) being TOO absurd, but that is me being wildly optimistic.

Definitely not

We need antagonists, and Labrys should never, ever take Aigis's slot.

Shadow Labrys..?
I know it would be lame, but I could see it happening.

I mean, it's either that, a spoiler Atlus doesn't care about anymore, or three other franchises giving Sho pity he doesn't deserve.

Makio

Plus take in mind the trailer already told from which games the characters are coming from . Blazblue is from Central Fiction , Under Night is from Exe Late (ST) but Persona is using Arena logo ... not Ultimax , so i dont had my hopes up for any of the characters introduced in Ultimax to show up at all.

Without knowing how big the roster is ,and knowing maybe they give more focus to Blazblue and RWBY chars ... i will say that 7-10 slots number seems possible.

In case of been only 7 i think they get rid of the Shadow Operatives : Narukami , Yosuke , Chie , Yukiko , Kanji , Naoto and Labrys or Aigis been almost confirmed.

in case or been 10 add Mitsuru , Akihiko and Liz in the possible ones.

Or course knowing ArcSys and their dlc / extended ways chars like Redacted , Sho and other ultimax chars had chances to get in.

Even Joker , implying they tease a P5 Arena next August (Concert) or before the crossover release and Arc Sys wants easy money.

You want to take out Aigis?

...Why?

Aside from my irritation with how much Aigis gets pushed...
I dunno, I thought they'd want to push the character exclusive to the fighting games and the way I thought, two ASSWs would seem redundant.
*shrug*

It was more about providing an alternative if people were really chomping at the bit for REDACTED to stay on this speculated roster.

Makio

It was more about providing an alternative if people were really chomping at the bit for REDACTED to stay on this speculated roster.

I see
him
being the Persona DLC char of the game , the
guy
is way too popular to left
him
out of anything P4 related , past spinoffs prove it. (Less PQ bc not possible at all haha).

1upsuper

Aside from my irritation with how much Aigis gets pushed...
I dunno, I thought they'd want to push the character exclusive to the fighting games and the way I thought, two ASSWs would seem redundant.
*shrug*

Fair enough. Aigis is my favorite Persona character tho. :<

IMO (In Maya's Opinion) worse than being forgotten is tying others down

Oh, don't even.
Characters who keep important stuff to themselves cause they're afraid of tying others down end up being the first to get killed.

Probably dying in in some supposedly noble sacrifice that ends up feeling completely hollow due to how unnecessary it is.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?

Top Bottom