• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Finally plat P5. I had so much free time on NG+ I just went to the gym on that last month.
I really ended up liking Iwai more once I was finished with his link and finding Yusuke to be invaluable in duplicating my skill cards.

Not sure why, but the ending seem better watching it a 2nd time.

_Ryo_

Reading the shadow of war thread got me thinking.

Imagine having to pay $5 to fuse two random personas in a persona game for any persona over level 40. Or $10 to do a random triangle fusion for personas over level 60.

Microtransactions in single player games is such bullshit.

The combat in Innocent Sin feels very sluggish and tedious even compared to P1... there's like a 3 second delay before every ability animation

There is, yes - even worse is that the PSP version introduced a slight lag with menu navigation. Confirming any option prompts an animation and sound effect to play to completion before it lets you move the cursor again. It's small, but considering that the majority of the game is menu-driven, it really just compounds some of the existing flaws in the battle system.

I think Persona 2's a lot of fun once you get used to it, but there's a long adjustment period between its unique mechanics and some questionable design choices.

I managed to start Yuko's SL thanks to needing non-rank up meeting at the Track Team woo

And I was doing fine in Tartarus (only about 2 floors until the mini-boss battle) until a group of enemies target the MC and I lose that day's progress. RIP.

Olengie

Reading the shadow of war thread got me thinking.

Imagine having to pay $5 to fuse two random personas in a persona game for any persona over level 40. Or $10 to do a random triangle fusion for personas over level 60.

Microtransactions in single player games is such bullshit.

Honestly, a loot box of random skill cards and items or something similar would've been a better comparison than paying real money to use an incredibly important feature imo.

Honestly, a loot box of random skill cards and items or something similar would've been a better comparison than paying real money to use an incredibly important feature imo.

Yeah, the former sounds downright game-breaking.
Skill cards are something you get through random chance, anyway.

Olengie

Yeah, the former sounds downright game-breaking.
Skill cards are something you get through random chance, anyway.

Costumes, Skill Cards, and Items are more appropriate.

I guess adding in a random Persona can also work. You can still get it in the game like we usually do, but Loot Box will get it to you faster (obviously I wouldn't do it but some people will likely will)

asagami_

Banned
There is, yes - even worse is that the PSP version introduced a slight lag with menu navigation. Confirming any option prompts an animation and sound effect to play to completion before it lets you move the cursor again. It's small, but considering that the majority of the game is menu-driven, it really just compounds some of the existing flaws in the battle system.

I think Persona 2's a lot of fun once you get used to it, but there's a long adjustment period between its unique mechanics and some questionable design choices.

I wish Innocent Sin's PSP port has the Eternal Punishment overhaul. I don't remember well what it was and why I feel it that way, but PS1 EP was a lot faster than PSP IS. Maybe... for the next remake/ports :(

I wish Innocent Sin's PSP port has the Eternal Punishment overhaul. I don't remember well what it was and why I feel it that way, but PS1 EP was a lot faster than PSP IS. Maybe... for the next remake/ports :(

I finished IS the other day and am playing EP right now. I'm feeling the same way! I think it's partially the menu lag in IS, and then partially just how much... breezier EP is to navigate? There are fewer confirmation screens. IS's remake feels based around guiding users to a more typical JRPG interface, where inputting commands for each character is a separate step. Therefore, if you want to set up a non-autobattle fight, you have to go through six (!) total menus before receiving a confirmation message to begin. One menu for general party setup, then one menu for each of five characters. EP just has the one single menu from which you pick all the options. It's less navigation work.

(and, grumble grumble, Innocent Sin PSP's menu lag makes this all the worst. I love that game to death but lord the remake's interface needed work)

Lynx_7

P5: You are slave. Want emancipation? Then wake up, get up, get out there, can't hold on or life won't change! Who's the high lord who thinks he's better than us? There's more to life than their way, so let your voices ring out yeah, take the mask off and be free! Don't let yourself be oppressed by-

Atlus: Sure, but don't forget to adhere to our strict streaming policies, don't even think about taking screenshots of your experience or sharing it in a way that doesn't please us, and please don't hang around those PC people, don't even let them mention your name, I've heard they're dirty pirates. If you walk out of line there'll be severe repercussions, alright young boy?

P5: But daaaaaaaaad...

P5: You are slave. Want emancipation? Then wake up, get up, get out there, can't hold on or life won't change! Who's the high lord who thinks he's better than us? There's more to life than their way, so let your voices ring out yeah, take the mask off and be free! Don't let yourself be oppressed by-

Atlus: Sure, but don't forget to adhere to our strict streaming policies, don't even think about taking screenshots of your experience or sharing it in a way that doesn't please us, and please don't hang around those PC people, don't even let them mention your name, I've heard they're dirty pirates. If you walk out of line there'll be severe repercussions, alright young boy?

P5: But daaaaaaaaad...

Yeah, Atlus has made it pretty clear over the years that the themes of their games are little more than bullshit platitudes.

Yeah, Atlus has made it pretty clear over the years that the themes of their games are little more than bullshit platitudes.
Or it could be that the opinions of the creators are not shared by the business people who run the company. I'm pretty pissed at Atlus now, but I don't think it's fair to say the themes the developers come up with are "bullshit platitudes" because their lawyers/managers are being assholes.

Makio

. I'm pretty pissed at Atlus now,.

Not tell me you are pissed for the PC thing , the stream ban i can understand , but in the PC case Atlus got it right in my opinion

Like not get me wrong i think emulation is not that bad , but i think those niggas asking money for a way to play the game for ilegal means , it feels almost like Karma they got busted , they deserved it.

Lynx_7

Yeah I was more pointing out the duality between their creative and business sides and how the latter's actions directly contradicts the message of the product they're selling. Hashino and P-Studio might earnestly believe everything they put in their games but they most likely don't have a lot of control over what Atlus as a company does with their work.

Yeah I was more pointing out the duality between their creative and business sides and how the latter's actions directly contradicts the message of the product they're selling. Hashino and P-Studio might earnestly believe everything they put in their games but they most likely don't have a lot of control over what Atlus as a company does with their work.

That's certainly true. I was mostly being facetious.
That and I'm a total philistine. ;)

Also, there's certainly a remark I didn't see coming.

Only beat P5 last week and bought it at launch, my life isn't compatible with huge games anymore... Loved it though, fantastic ride.

I was waiting for the fan translation of the PSP version to play P2EP but yesterday I decided to grab one of those $10 for $7 PSN cards from pcgamesupply and just get the PSone version. I love P2IS so much and this is the only Persona I haven't played, now that I'm done with P5 it's time to go back to something more old school. I wish I could play the PSP version but I've been delaying this for way too long already.
Glad I still have my Vita, on a handheld I actually manage to get shit done at a reasonable pace.

Also started Divinity Original Sin 2 (which is fantastic BTW) so I'm set for another 6 months lol.

kromeo

Really hate the demon negotiations in the first 2 games, you need to either have an amazing memory or keep reaching for phone to check a guide. Innocent Sin is particularly annoying with the way cards work, it probably doubles the length of the game if you actually want to make a decent number of personas

Really hate the demon negotiations in the first 2 games, you need to either have an amazing memory or keep reaching for phone to check a guide. Innocent Sin is particularly annoying with the way cards work, it probably doubles the length of the game if you actually want to make a decent number of personas

I get not liking the cards, but negotiating with demons is a SMT staple and I'm glad P5 reintroduced the mechanic to Persona.

asagami_

Banned
I get not liking the cards, but negotiating with demons is a SMT staple and I'm glad P5 reintroduced the mechanic to Persona.

I wish the next game changes the way to start the demon negotiation, it feels wrong don't have the option to talk without have to fight them.

I wish the next game changes the way to start the demon negotiation, it feels wrong don't have the option to talk without have to fight them.

Yeah, though if you think about it, it makes much more sense that they'd only be willing to negotiate after you subdue them and gain the upper hand and not at the start of the fight.

Lynx_7

I like P5's approach. It works both for game balance and in-universe logic. I think I might prefer it over how most of the mainline titles do it.

As for P1, despite being mostly trial-and-error, there's something oddly satisfying about figuring out how to approach a specific demon you're trying to "recruit". It has this "gamey" puzzle feel to it and some amusing interactions. I kinda like it lol (except when the same action can cause two completely different reactions from the same enemy)
No idea how 2 works though.

Setsu00

To further illustrate the dichotomy between their creative staff and their marketing staff: P5's anime adaption is produced by A-1 Pictures. A-1 Pictures was recently involved in a scandal as one of their employees died due to overwork. [Vague P5 spoilers]
Anyone who played P5 should see where the problem lies.

To further illustrate the dichotomy between their creative staff and their marketing staff: P5's anime adaption is produced by A-1 Pictures. A-1 Pictures was recently involved in a scandal as one of their employees died due to overwork. [Vague P5 spoilers]
Anyone who played P5 should see where the problem lies.

There's the possibility for
redemption
in that sense, but there I go personifying companies. -_-

kromeo

I've played enough of Innocent Sin now to say I think I preferred P1. There's an interesting story there but it's dragged down by a lot of tedium

Just because it's a staple doesn't mean it's good. I've hated demon negation in every SMT related game I've played that had it. Persona 5 is the only one that's remotely decent because of all the tools they give you to break it.

FireSol

Just complete P5, bought at launch, but stopped playing after 66 hours, because something felt off. And a few days ago I begin to clear my backlog. P5 was an oblivious choice here.
I would not say that P5 disappointed me, but it doesn't touch me as P3/4 did. I didn't sit sadly with lost of thoughts in my head like I was after beating P3. I didn't start NG+ immensely as I did with P4.
P5 gameplay is great, dungeons are awesome, but the cast and story...they just there, they are not bad by any means, but something is lacking.

Dantis

P5 is a weird game. Very good, but lacking the magic. I think Hashino and co became too caught up the kind of crappy phantom thief stuff. If the narrative was stronger and more cohesive, then it would have probably been fine, but it was pretty weak and so much more the focus than in past games.

I'll be interested to see where Re: Fantasy goes. I'd really like them to get a better writer who actually knows how to write a good story though.

P5 is a weird game. Very good, but lacking the magic. I think Hashino and co became too caught up the kind of crappy phantom thief stuff. If the narrative was stronger and more cohesive, then it would have probably been fine, but it was pretty weak and so much more the focus than in past games.

I'll be interested to see where Re: Fantasy goes. I'd really like them to get a better writer who actually knows how to write a good story though.

I can certainly see that. When compared to 3 and 4, where the characters are just themselves, the whole Phantom Thieves thing can certainly come off as a gimmick.

It makes me worry if P6 is going to feel like a step back just cause those characters (presumably) won't have that extra aspect to them.

Who knows.

Nictel

I can certainly see that. When compared to 3 and 4, where the characters are just themselves, the whole Phantom Thieves thing can certainly come off as a gimmick.

It makes me worry if P6 is going to feel like a step back just cause those characters (presumably) won't have that extra aspect to them.

Who knows.

I'd rather see Catherine 2 or something new first.

As for the next Persona, the trend is towards more open world. So I hope it will be that.
I found the S.E.E.S. of P3 more gimmicky but the phantom thieves are way more stylized.
Perhaps they could follow Terrace House and set the whole game in Hawaii.

Mediking

The story has its ups and downs.

I rememeber the amazing Kamoshida Arc in P5 and how Makoto and Mishima actually remind me so much of people I know in real life...

I'm actually much more forgiving to P5's story now that I think about it some more. Lmao I was singing a different tune when I beat it months ago.

The Phantom Thief gimmick is my favorite part of this game. I love the over the top nature of their disguises.

My only real gripe is like a lot of people say the casual hang out events were lack luster compared to 4.

Lynx_7

The Phantom Thief aspect is also one of my favorite things about P5, but if you weren't into it I can see how that'd impact your opinion negatively as it's so ingrained in both the narrative and gameplay. "Magic" in videogames is always a very subjective thing and dependent on a lot of factors, both within the game itself and external circumstances.
Now that I've had time to settle my thoughts and am currently near the endgame of P4G, I feel more confident in saying 5 is my favorite, even if the former still does some things much better. At the end of the day 5's flaws impact my enjoyment of the game less than 3 and 4's. I also though its narrative was generally stronger, even if it stumbles in places (arguably harder than the others). 5's biggest flaw to me is gameplay flow.

Generally speaking, I think people who care more about characters and cozier experiences will gravitate towards 4 (no amount of SoL scenes in 5 would make it compare favorably in that regard to 4's more casual vibe, the game just wasn't designed with that same sensibility and that's likely intentional), people who prefer a darker atmosphere/story with good emotional payoff will resonate with 3, and those who are more gameplay oriented and enjoy 5's brand of style and rebellion will choose that one. To me it's a good thing that the series has managed to mix it up within the constraints of its formula and I'm interested to see which direction the new team will take.

As for the writing, as with most things "anime" I think you either take it for what it is or you'll never fully enjoy it. I doubt the series will ever see a drastic change in approach in that regard. It's pulpy and it revels in that. It could see a lot of improvement in some areas, but likely within that set of expected tropes and presentation.

kromeo

I didn't remember 3 FES being this hard.. I got my ass whooped a couple of times by some table guardians in block 2 and then the exact same thing happened on the next one. I think I must be underleveled compared to last time

Nictel

I didn't remember 3 FES being this hard.. I got my ass whooped a couple of times by some table guardians in block 2 and then the exact same thing happened on the next one. I think I must be underleveled compared to last time

I specifically remember getting my ass kicked by table guardians too. MC Persona factors in too but those enemies are (perhaps) just particularly hard at that point.

cheez124

The minibosses are the hardest parts of the game in my experience. The story bosses are nothing in comparison

Fou-Lu

My girlfriend watched me play most of Persona 5 and she really loved the style the game had. When I mentioned that I still couldn't decide if I like 4 or 5 more she asked if I had some way she could play 4 since unlike 5 she knows nothing about it. Now she's lying in bed playing P4:Golden on my Vita. I hope she enjoys it!

Makio

Man bans are a bitc.... and damn this topic been dead since then.

Atlus really need to drop some news to move this.

I agree. You can defiantly tell why Hashino has moved on from the series, if you know what I mean. I think it just bogged down the team leads, and himself at some point in development.

Glad he's moving on to better, and hopefully better things
407240-artwork_2.jpg

I have a dilemma. I'm at the last save point, killed my first Reaper and want to farm them. I'm out of sp items though and the coffee making is inaccessible. I'm screwed aren't I?

I have a dilemma. I'm at the last save point, killed my first Reaper and want to farm them. I'm out of sp items though and the coffee making is inaccessible. I'm screwed aren't I?

Does the glitch count as a spoiler? Whatever.
If it's a "farming" day for the Reaper, you're not going to have to spend one point of SP.

Lunar15

I actually like the phantom thief stuff from a style standpoint, although I agree that implementation could have been far, far better. I didn't want the game to be a refresh of Persona 4, but it's hard to deny that Persona 4 hit a good balance where the cast felt like real kids thrust into this weird supernatural mystery they weren't fully equipped to handle, whereas the P5 cast seems instantly natural in the phantom thief role. It's definitely a switch in perspective.

The game is really excellent, and the longer away I get from it the more I remember about what I like than what I didn't like. There was certainly a bit of overhype in the lead up, especially from the first Japanese impressions to the English release, but overall it's still probably the best game I've played all year so far. I have issues with dungeon length, but I really enjoyed many of the dungeons, and I still contend that dungeons 1-4 is peak persona. The parts after 4 through 5 are a series low point, but I think the game finishes really strong. Stronger than P4, in my opinion.

Overall, it's held back by a bunch of weird issues, particularly in pacing in length. There's a tight, well told story somewhere in here, but it got bloated out needlessly. I feel the long dev time might be a culprit here. The game's great and does a lot of things better than it's predecessors, but I feel comfortable saying it lacks the overall impact of 4. I suspect that's more a product of the fact that we've been here twice before now. It's less surprising than it once was, 4 was a paradigm shift for me, someone who didn't really love JRPG's at all. 5 was a known quantity, it was either going to meet expectations or fall short, I don't think it could be another paradigm shift.

My initial thought on completing P4 was "I absolutely want more persona". My initial thought on completing P5 was, "I feel done with Persona, but I'm very interested in what the team does next".

daevious

My initial thought on completing P4 was "I absolutely want more persona". My initial thought on completing P5 was, "I feel done with Persona, but I'm very interested in what the team does next".

As someone who's started since P3, I've enjoyed the Hashino developed Persona games as the same story told somewhat better in each increment. P5's literally the dream game I'd wanted since it was announced, which was basically "More Persona, but with Nocturne/Digital Devil Saga-style dungeon design". As much as Hashino's departure from the series worries me, I still think it's for the best that he be given free-reign over his next project while new-blood is allowed to continue what he started.

PK Gaming

I think pretty much everyone here shares this sentiment.

I mean compare this thread's activity to before the game came out? We burned through so many goddamn OT's, but OT9 is a year old!

Top Bottom