• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Makio

Man i cant believe the original soundtrack didnt include lyrics
or at least the file i download

I gonna die without knowing the real lyrics to Whims of Fate or Last Surprise (Chorus).

If anyone find the lyrics somewhere hit me up.

EDIT The full version of Wake Up , Get up , Get out there is great .... Lyn is amazing (still dont understand her 100% tho)

Sophia

So, how are they releasing the costumes for the American release of Persona 5? Do I have to preorder to get any of the costumes with alternative battle tracks?

I don't think they've said? At least, I don't recall anything off the top of my head. I don't believe there's any DLC as pre-order tho.

Izanagi Persona is digital preorder dlc, but not exclusive to that. No details on anything else yet, but John said during the stream that all the costume dlc should be coming over.

Eolz

I know this is likely not the good thread to ask this (can't wait for P5 though), but... is there a SMT community thread? Can't seem to find one.

bluethree

For importers.

How would you say Persona 5 compares to the others in terms of tear jerker stuff, and "feels" moments?

There is less cheesy and overly emotional stuff than the past games, 4 especially. It's still there though, just not as much.

The writing and characterization, with some exceptions are somewhat more down to earth than the other games.

Dantis

There is less cheesy and overly emotional stuff than the past games, 4 especially. It's still there though, just not as much.
Which is unfortunate, considering this is the one Hashino said was going to be an emotional journey that makes players laugh and cry.

I need to dig out my post of concerns that I had after seeing PV04, because as I recall I was pretty fucking accurate in regards to things like this.

Also P5 still has tons of cheese, it's just anime narrative cheese this time around.

EDIT: I just looked back at a load of my predictions. If you wade through my everyday shit that I come out with, occasionally I have moments of true clarity. A lot of my thoughts on the themes and narrative are really accurate.

daevious

Also P5 still has tons of cheese, it's just anime narrative cheese this time around.

As compared to what, Persona 3 ripping off elements of Evangelion wholesale?

Or Persona 4 borrowing heavily from Slice-of-Life anime series?

Or the Persona characters being an amalgamation of anime tropes (albeit well executed anime tropes)?

Dantis, I will never understand what your issues about Persona 5 are, and the more you try to explain them the less sense they make.

Dantis said:
A lot of my thoughts on the themes and narrative are really accurate.

Expect when they're completely off base and cause the thread to derail off course. ;P

Lynx_7

Dantis, I will never understand what your issues about Persona 5 are, and the more you try to explain them the less sense they make.

I'm sure Dantis is tired of reading this but I think a big part of it is having wasted his first experience playing it in japanese. I doubt he'd be as endeared to P4 and its cast if he couldn't understand a word the characters were saying or didn't have a clear grasp of the story and its themes. It doesn't matter if you can infer what's happening through visual context because you're still getting a (heavily) compromised experience. I doubt playing it in english will remedy everything now because the events will have lost their original impact and the game parts their novelty.

At any case it'll be interesting to see where the consensus falls when the game releases.

it'll be fun to see for myself wrt persona 5, because whenever i talked about the tonal differences between the original persona games and persona 3/4, people always said "um persona has always been anime and the tone is exactly the same as it has always been" even though that was pretty demonstrably not true

i know preview 4 definitely raised some concerns about the content, in particular
the game (rightfully) painting the asmodeus guy as a gross asshole for creeping on teenage girls, but then turns around and had the animated beach scene with a close up of a teenage girl's, and then on top of that turns around and is like "oh yeah you can totes date your female teacher lol"

daevious

I'm sure Dantis is tired of reading this but I think a big part of it is having wasted his first experience playing it in japanese. I doubt he'd be as endeared to P4 and its cast if he couldn't understand a word the characters were saying or didn't have a clear grasp of the story and its themes. It doesn't matter if you can infer what's happening through visual context because you're still getting a (heavily) compromised experience. I doubt playing it in english will remedy everything now because the events will have lost their original impact and the game parts their novelty.

At any case it'll be interesting to see where the consensus falls when the game releases.

He's kinda had issues with the premise of the game long before he played it, back when PV01 was released, he was one of two/three people who weren't sold on P5's premise. This isn't a bad thing in and of itself, having someone who doesn't agree with the majority helps to improve the surrounding discourse, but something about his complaints rings hollow for me and it bothers me more than it probably should.

EDIT: Oh hey, new trailer. Nothing anyone whose followed the Japanese trailers wouldn't have known already, but it's nice to see none the less.

To commemorate the release of the Persona 5 OST, Atlus got Lyn to perform for a small audience at the Tower Records in Shinjuku tonight. She sang Wake Up Get Up Get Out There, Life Will Change and Last Surprise. I wasn't able to get footage of the actual performance, but I have some pictures of the displays.

yvhjFaY.jpg

iPWJUr9.jpg

bbe9RPF.jpg

Watched it, and then got [Potential spoiler for someone on a complete Persona 5 media blackout]
the identity of the traitor
in Persona 5 spoiled by a thumbnail of one of the next videos youtube recommends. Fun.

This long wait between the Japanese and Western release sure is great.

Not sure what you watch, but my recommended was the Max Mittleman interview.

Makio

Watched it, and then got [Potential spoiler for someone on a complete Persona 5 media blackout]
the identity of the traitor
in Persona 5 spoiled by a thumbnail of one of the next videos youtube recommends. Fun.

Oh yeah some dumbass put a great SPOILERS fanarts as possible to extend some tracks of the OST and now they "appears" everytime and chance are Youtube recommends to you.

(I dont know if even the same videos we talking about , but i get those everytime).

And is just to get dumb and easy views , one of the videos is one of the last dungeon tracks with a big fanart of SPOILERS
Waifu Sae
which got nothing to do with it and will confuse some folks (spoiled or not).

Hopefully Atlus Ninja take it down easily , not like i wish they rekt someone channel just for upload some sweet tracks , but put some spoiler fanart as thumbnail just for views is cheap and weak.

Arkain

Oh yeah some dumbass put a great SPOILERS fanarts as possible to extend some tracks of the OST and now they "appears" everytime and chance are Youtube recommends to you.

Yeah, that's it, it was a thumbnail for one of the songs from Persona 5 OST. Don't recall which one as I clicked away as soon as I realized I was looking at a spoiler, but the damage has been done.

If any of you don't want to be spoiled for Persona 5, beter to stay off youtube entirely, not reading the comments clearly wasn't enough.

Lynx_7

"The metaverse..."

Just say the amala universe. ffs

FTFY

Suprisingly youtube hasn't been a problem so far but then again I don't really watch P5 videos. I'm sure I'll do a good job avoiding spoilers pre-release but then I'll accidentally spoil myself in the middle of my playthrough as is tradition.

I know the video you guys are talking about. I found the poster on Twitter and had to severely resist the urge to put them on blast. Going over their accounts, they're one of those people who just doesn't care and would throw a tantrum if anyone objected.

They need to say it like that to hint and put the rules of the time traveling , alternate universes and other plot bullshi... which gonna make possible spinoffs and crossovers (next persona Q).

Is all part of the plan haha.

But don't they already have terms for it? (Like "the unconscious"?)

MSMrRound

One of the better English P5 trailers...by far! Would have been better if they refrained from using some of the random words here and there. Too easy for the general public to take it out of context.

It's a trailer that I wished was somehow shown off at the December Playstation conference, since it would have really shown some insight into the working of a Persona game to those who don't really follow it in the first place. Still boggles my mind that after all the chances we have still yet to really hear or see Persona 5 being thrown around on the main stage during a Sony game conference event other than Adam Boyes' "Persona 5, 2015" comment during the first Playstation Experience.

Can't beat the AtlusJP team though, out of the 4 trailers, PV01,03 and 04 had been sizzling hot and was able to generate plenty of hype. (02 isn't in my list since it's the weakest out of the 4. It was offered as a pre-order bonus for P4Dancing and was pretty short with nothing to show except for a glimpse of battle and Yusuke's first appearance)

PK Gaming

Which is unfortunate, considering this is the one Hashino said was going to be an emotional journey that makes players laugh and cry.

I need to dig out my post of concerns that I had after seeing PV04, because as I recall I was pretty fucking accurate in regards to things like this.

EDIT: I just looked back at a load of my predictions. If you wade through my everyday shit that I come out with, occasionally I have moments of true clarity. A lot of my thoughts on the themes and narrative are really accurate.

Dantis, just so we're clear, you're feeling this confident despite:

-Playing the game entirely in Japanese (a language you don't understand)
-Having to rely on translated summaries to understand what's going on
-Completely missing out on emotional moments and nuance through dialogue since you can't understand what the characters are saying

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Dantis

Dantis, just so we're clear, you're feeling this confident despite:

-Playing the game entirely in Japanese (a language you don't understand)
-Having to rely on translated summaries to understand what's going on
-Completely missing out on emotional moments and nuance through dialogue since you can't understand what the characters are saying

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

It's funny that you should say that. One of the conversations I'm referring to is our one about Futaba. Y'all were miles off.

EDIT: Just to be clear, it's not a knock against the game. But a lot of the things that I suspected in regards to its narrative were accurate.

Broadly speaking, it's a higher-stakes narrative, which leads to it being much less personal. Which is exactly what I expected. The thieves are the absolute heroes and the whole thing serves as a power fantasy. People are going to love it.

In my ideal scenario though, it would have gone the other way. Have it more like Steins;Gate, where Okabe thinks he's one thing, and leads the player to believe that also, only for reality to smash him in the face and make everyone cry. Maybe next time. Until then, we have by far the strongest awakening scenes in the series. Just wait until you see Ann's. I hate 'badass' stuff, but man, it's badass.

PK Gaming

It's funny that you should say that. One of the conversations I'm referring to is our one about Futaba. Y'all were miles off.

EDIT: Just to be clear, it's not a knock against the game. But a lot of the things that I suspected in regards to its narrative were accurate.

Broadly speaking, it's a higher-stakes narrative, which leads to it being much less personal. Which is exactly what I expected. The thieves are the absolute heroes and the whole thing serves as a power fantasy. People are going to love it.

In my ideal scenario though, it would have gone the other way. Have it more like Steins;Gate, where Okabe thinks he's one thing, and leads the player to believe that also, only for reality to smash him in the face and make everyone cry. Maybe next time. Until then, we have by far the strongest awakening scenes in the series. Just wait until you see Ann's. I hate 'badass' stuff, but man, it's badass.

Okay, this makes a lot more sense. The thing's I've seen (granted it's not much) seems to line up with what you're saying.

And yeah I still need to draw your drawing of choice since I lost the bet. Don't worry, I got it covered ( ≖‿≖)

Dantis

I'm so curious about how the response will be.

It feels like high quality Japanese games are so hard to come by nowadays that people are willing to overlook a few blemishes when they do.

Gravity Rush 2 has scored probably 10-15 points higher than I had expected, so I'm really interested to see where P5 will fall. My inclination is still to say lower than P4G's ridiculous 93 average, but think it will score well enough. My completely baseless guess would be about 89 or 90.

I think the game will do well as P4G was really well received, but I think it may take it some spin-offs or an extended port to get the attention it deserves here in the west. I also think that the plot from what I've heard will resonate with the current political climate of the world so I help that also gives it some footing. I definitely don't expect any hard negative criticisms.

Makio

Maybe next time. Until then, we have by far the strongest awakening scenes in the series. Just wait until you see Ann's. I hate 'badass' stuff, but man, it's badass.

One of the best things of the game hands down , the dialogue , scenes , music and atmosphere is just amazing.

MC , Yusuke , Ann and Haru are my favorite for sure.

-----
EDIT : It Seems Atlus USA is going to give some news about Persona 5 DLC during this month.

(All i need is PS3 avatars and the Raidou costumes ... i dont care about anything else haha).

MSMrRound

-----
EDIT : It Seems Atlus USA is going to give some news about Persona 5 DLC during this month.

I'm just hoping for the standard AtlusUSA's (free for the first week!) type of free DLC, or the announcement that they will bundle at least P3/P4 outfits to the Take Your Heart edition.

bluethree

I don't understand how anyone would enjoy the game not understanding what's going on, there's an insane amount of text. I probably only understood like 70-80% of it, which was kind of frustrating but a decent enough price to pay for playing the game early.

Dantis

As compared to what, Persona 3 ripping off elements of Evangelion wholesale?

Or Persona 4 borrowing heavily from Slice-of-Life anime series?

Or the Persona characters being an amalgamation of anime tropes (albeit well executed anime tropes)?

As compared to emotional cheese. Like the original post said.

Duh-doy?

Top Bottom