• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona fans: What do you want out of Persona 5?

Ravidrath

Right now, I just want to want Persona 5.

...They're done milking 4, right? I mean what can possibly be left after the fighting game and live action stage show?

Seriously, though, I trust the team to make something good - they exceeded my expectations with P3 and P4, and so there's no reason to try any "want" anything out of it.

Taruranto

*GAH! Reposting because I was the last damn post on the last page :(*

Being new to this whole Persona racket (played/beat P3-FES, almost done with P4, and bought P4 Arena but haven't played yet), I really just want more of the same... although new cast, new setting, maybe a few throw-backs, but yeah. I don't mind the high school angle. It actually has a nostalgic feeling for me.

I will say, overall, I liked P3's story tone more. SO I do hope P5 has a bit of bleakness in there.

Question:

I no longer have a functioning PSP, so is Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PS1 worth buying for $50 (ugh)?
It looks pretty interesting, love the character designs I've seen, and I'm trying to get in as much Persona as I can. Does it do all the social linking stuff? I've been playing JRPGs since the SNES days, so I'm not concerned about more 'ancient' (as some have said) gameplay.

$50 is just a load for a PS1 game. :/

You'll be fine. But no, it doesn't do any social stuff. It's a pure dungeon crawler.
BUT don't get Eternal Puniment. Get Innocent Sin and patch it. Then get EP.

Social links being awesome and no shitty talking to demons are big reasons why 3/4 are the only Persona/smt games I like.

iCTSd.jpg

Varna

I'm fine with all the current systems in place. Social links, social stats, day to day activities, x number of days until the game ends.

I just want to see them expand on them. More open stories with characters. Some similar to KOTOR 2 were they could go in one of two ways. I want to see social stats do something more then open up more social links... being super strong or smart should net you a perk or two during dialogues. Things of that nature.

No more high school setting either. Go with the Eternal Punishment model. Adults in the real world.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
...They're done milking 4, right? I mean what can possibly be left after the fighting game

At least the fighting game contributes quite a bit in plot development for both P3 and P4.

I thought 80s anime was space opera, sci-fi and testosterone filled badassery like Fist of the North Star?

The roots of romantic comedy harem anime started back then as well with Urusei Yatsura.

Rpgmonkey

The main things for me are better dungeon design and putting in a much greater quantity and variety of things to do in the vast amount of time given inbetween dungeon crawling aside from social sim stuff.

I've kind of had my fill of the Social Links at this point and wish there was more to do in the game when you're not dungeon crawling besides making friends/boyfriends/girlfriends. That stuff can still be in the game, but I'd like it if they focused on other aspects of school life and made them deeper and more interactive.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Right now, I just want to want Persona 5.

...They're done milking 4, right? I mean what can possibly be left after the fighting game and live action stage show?

action game spinoff starring Kanji.

injurai

Banned
How do the Japanese feel about College settings?

The main things for me are better dungeon design and putting in a much greater quantity and variety of things to do in the vast amount of time given inbetween dungeon crawling aside from social sim stuff.

I've kind of had my fill of the Social Links at this point and wish there was more to do in the game when you're not dungeon crawling besides making friends/boyfriends/girlfriends. That stuff can still be in the game, but I'd like it if they focused on other aspects of school life and made them deeper and more interactive.

Bully Mixed with Persona in the College setting would be the most amazing game ever made.

yami4ct

I like most of the mechanics as they stand. I wouldn't mind a few tweaks to the battle system, or at the very least more animations especially some idle animations. I also wouldn't mind having some older characters. High school's a great setting, but it's getting a little played out. Playing Persona 2 right now, I would kind of like to see a return to dungeons in the real world map. I am kind of tired of having to constantly make the decision to go dungeon crawling or social link. A longer calendar would be nice as well, maybe a year and a half or two years.

As for story, I'll take whatever the Persona team gives me. Both 3 and 4 had good stories and great characters, so I'll take any journey they want to set up.

Dantis

Do you mean the style or the situations involved? 3 and 4 are littered with stuff like Hot Springs and excessive blushing kawai desu moments which are pretty much absent in 2.

And I would be glad if they removed all of that shit. Unfortunately, Golden just added a crap-load more of it, so if that's anything to go by, I'm going to be very unhappy when P5 roles around.

MarkusRJR

I don't know where else to ask this, so I'll post this here:

What should I play first, Persona 3: FES or Persona 3 Portable? I keep getting bored halfway through my save of P3P and I'm wondering if the 3D story scenes would make me more interested in the story.

Esura

Banned
Do you mean the style or the situations involved? 3 and 4 are littered with stuff like Hot Springs and excessive blushing kawai desu moments which are pretty much absent in 2.

Littered with? What? No it's not. They only have like one or two events involving hot springs throughout the entire lengthy game and what the freak is a "blushing kawai desu" moment?

Honestly, I don't get why people keep thinking P2 is "less anime" than P3 and P4 unless I'm playing a completely different version of Innocent Sin than everyone else. How can something be..."less anime" anyways? Why do my head hurt now? :(

Dantis

Littered with? What? No it's not. They only have like one or two events involving hot springs throughout the entire lengthy game and what the freak is a "blushing kawai desu" moment?

Honestly, I don't get why people keep thinking P2 is less anime than P3 and P4 unless I'm playing a completely different version of Innocent Sin than everyone else.

They're referring to a specific type of anime. P3 and moreso P4 had a handful of events that you'd expect to see on an anime aimed at fifteen-year-olds. P1 and P2 were consistent throughout.

The sillier scenes never bothered me in P3 and 4, but the Golden had a couple of scenes that made me want to turn the game off.

What should I play first, Persona 3: FES or Persona 3 Portable? I keep getting bored halfway through my save of P3P and I'm wondering if the 3D story scenes would make me more interested in the story.
The scenes will probably interest you more.

The lack of direct controls during battle probably wont.

If you get bored out of P3P then try the PS2 one.

raven777

I am pretty sure they said they ditched Catherine engine and are working with completely new engine from scratch.

I agree with people who said they want college setting. I still want the school social factor that was in p3 and p4, but upgraded. Full voice for side events would be great as well.

The most important thing for mr would be sticking with soejima's art and meguro's music

Esura

Banned
They're referring to a specific type of anime. P3 and more so P4 had a handful of events that wou'd expect to see on an anime aimed at fifteen-year-olds. P1 and P2 were consistent throughout,

The sillier scenes never bothered me in P3 and 4, but the Golden had a couple of scenes that made me want to turn the game off.

Um...most anime are aimed at 15 year olds and whatnot. P1 and P2 aren't entirely devoid of these events either. They both have those sillier scenes as well but its kind of easy to forget considering the other ridiculous stuff that occurs and the overall pacing of the earlier games are completely different than P3 and 4.

Never played Golden though.

Dascu

Just realized it'd be kind of nice if they took the detective agency office space setting from the Devil Summoner series, and add S-Links. Maybe throw in some rumour/tabloid stuff to tie it in with the older Persona games.

AzureSky

Just realized it'd be kind of nice if they took the detective agency office space setting from the Devil Summoner series, and add S-Links. Maybe throw in some rumour/tabloid stuff to tie it in with the older Persona games.

i'm just replaying devil summoner 2 and wholeheartedly agree. It would be a great combination, mature and awesome. Social Links dont have to be bound to school, it would work just fine with a mature protagonist who just moved to another town with a few mystery twists.
Meet new people, socialize, stumble upon some obscure mystery and try to solve it. Would love to play it.

Dresden

So after fully finishing one of the routes in P4A, there's only one direction I want them to go and I'm sure it will and I'm very happy.

Sophia

Honestly, I don't get why people keep thinking P2 is "less anime" than P3 and P4 unless I'm playing a completely different version of Innocent Sin than everyone else. How can something be..."less anime" anyways? Why do my head hurt now? :(

Indeed. Persona 2 is pretty much the embodiment of late 90s anime tropes. Not to mention it's by far the most sci-fi entry in the franchise (which has always had sci-fi elements, but whatever...)

Oh, and that's not even getting into the contact options in Persona 1 and 2, which are several times more absurd than Hot springs. Speaking of which, Hot springs are more of a cultural trope and not even an anime trope anyhow...

ultron87

Playing FES won't really fix the fact that the middle of P3 is pretty boring.

- NO JPOP/POP MUSIC
- no vocals in the battle music
- no hot springs/beach uguu kawai crap
- more exploration and several towns.
- better designed dungeons with lots of puzzles, traps and secrets.
- keep the mystery aspect but more insane and twisted.
- more branching in both narrative and social links

Trigger

- NO JPOP/POP MUSIC
- no vocals in the battle music
- no hot springs/beach uguu kawai crap
- more exploration and several towns.
- better designed dungeons with lots of puzzles, traps and secrets.
- keep the mystery aspect but more insane and twisted.
- more branching in both narrative and social links

I do like the branching suggestion tho.

I am pretty sure they said they ditched Catherine engine and are working with completely new engine from scratch.

SolidSnakeX confirmed this (I believe) a few pages back.

Looking at the upgraded Inaba (the shopping district) graphics in P4 Arena makes me hope P5 looks along those lines. Very attractive. :)

Jawmuncher

-In the same continuity as the previous Persona games
-Older characters
-Office or college setting (Office preferred)
-Choice between male or female protagonist (With the character you don't choose still appearing in the game)
-Social Links return
-Same sex romance options
-Non-randomized dungeons
-Good balance between light and dark story elements

I quoted wanting exactly this. They only nailed the bolded. So half of that ain't bad.
But I really do hope we can move past high school in the next persona. Also definitely work the same sex representation better as well.

I quoted wanting exactly this. They only nailed the bolded. So half of that ain't bad.
But I really do hope we can move past high school in the next persona. Also definitely work the same sex representation better as well.
With the exception of balance between story elements (which I think Persona 5 failed in), the rest of the bolded parts where all in the game. Especially the dungeons were a huge upgrade.

Top Bottom