• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Dinklage in Bungie's Destiny - That wizard came from the moon

twcftm_square.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update---06202014/en/News/News?aid=11589

RedStep

Everyone needs to watch the latest E3 trailer which has his voice digitized, I hope this is representative of the final game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clRpcIHpmoY

His voice work is absolutely fine with the appropriate filters/processing on top of it. I'm sure he was instructed to speak in this manner. It sounds awkward only because they haven't done anything to alter his voice for the Alpha to sound more like a robot rather than some bored guy.

It's still pretty awful. 1:25-1:35 as an example:

"We've always known the darkness would return."
"To finish."
"What it started."

It's read as three separate sentences with ups and downs in each, rather than a person talking with pauses (as we see in movie trailers and such). And that's on top of just sounding bored. I'm sure the game will be fine, but it sounds like whoever was directing the VO session could have been better/taken more time. Portal's been brought up already, but having an AI character has been no obstacle in the past, with or without modulation. Hell, Cortana's an AI and she was fine.

Listonosh

Does anyone know who the other male voice actor was from the Destiny Beta? His voice is SUPER familiar. I know he spoke each time at the end of the Strike and at the beginning of a few of the Beacon missions. It's like I can almost picture who it is, but can't put a name to it.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Does anyone know who the other male voice actor was from the Destiny Beta? His voice is SUPER familiar. I know he spoke each time at the end of the Strike and at the beginning of a few of the Beacon missions. It's like I can almost picture who it is, but can't put a name to it.

That's Lance Reddick.

-griffy-

Banned

It's Broyles:
u9zZc.jpg

Or Daniels depending on how you want to swing it:
reddick.jpg

Izayoi

Banned
Doesn't he also do the Titan trainer? Is the Titan trainer the guy narrating all of that stuff in universe?

Or maybe, I'm just losing my mind?

Doesn't he also do the Titan trainer? Is the Titan trainer the guy narrating all of that stuff in universe?

Or maybe, I'm just losing my mind?
No, you're right. He does the intro to the strike. The Crucible quartermaster is also the announcer for PVP, too.

Fbh

His performance clearly stood out as the worst thing from the alpha.

He is great in game of thrones so I hardly think it's lack of skill. Mabye whoever is directiong the voice acting sticked with the "AI" idea and just told him to read the lines as if it was the first time he saw the script?

He's the Ghost, your personal robot companion.
He either had bad directing or phoned it in. BAD but bearable.

Even worse (I would call it catastrophic) is the MP/PvP/Crucible announcer. Oh my what an absolute trainwreck...

the constant "they're taking B" chatter gets annoying fast. I hope we can disable it.

Yoday

Gotta love Bungie for doing stuff like this.

Here's the shirt in full glory:
TWCFTM_front.png
Limited edition run as well. It is specifically labeled for the Alpha on the back, and I really like that profits go to charity. It reminds me of their "kick the flood" charity shirt back in the day. I still have that one, and I plan to get this one too.

thumb

Banned
His performance clearly stood out as the worst thing from the alpha.

He is great in game of thrones so I hardly think it's lack of skill. Mabye whoever is directiong the voice acting sticked with the "AI" idea and just told him to read the lines as if it was the first time he saw the script?

It's not even clear to me that an AI should emote at all. A relatively flat delivery may be unexciting, but it may also be the reality of talking to a disembodied intelligence. It's also possible that the flat delivery becomes contextually humorous in situations that would warrant high emotion.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's not even clear to me that an AI should emote at all. A relatively flat delivery may be unexciting, but it may also be the reality of talking to a disembodied intelligence. It's also possible that the flat delivery becomes contextually humorous in situations that would warrant high emotion.
I remember thinking about this when I saw Her, and that movie made me realize that any AI worth a damn in the future would be able to replicate human emotion. I think the emotionless AI concept only belongs to our era, being a flat voice with no emotion just because we couldn't pull it off yet.

From the weekly bungie update.

Q. Hey, the Ghost dialog in the Alpha was totally final, right?

Hey, we read the same forums, my fictional, question formulating friend! In fact, the Ghost dialog has already been updated for Beta. It will be updated again for launch on September 9th, as well.

Funny thing about Alpha builds…they’re not done. Please pardon our Moon dust!

GoaThief

hes alright... the pvp announcer on the other hand is soft spoken and sounds bored.
I quite liked the PvP announcer, was fresh and not so clichéd.

Unless they've recorded new lines or make Drinklage's voice unrecognisable through huge fx chains that completely mask the voice (which won't happen as it goes against getting him in the first place), it won't be better at all really. Putting it through a high pass filter to give the impression it's coming from a small box and placing it in a 3D space will be the biggest improvement they'll likely make.

So now that they've made a t-shirt of the meme I think (thankfully) it can officially die. Just reading those headings in the post with '_blank_ came from the _blank_' got a bit eye rolling.

At least the proceeds for the shirt are going to charity so they spun it into a good thing as well as taking it on the chin. Good PR move all round.

Top Bottom