• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petscop, the new (most likely) creepypasta pretends to be a PS1 game

Mariolee

I'm fine with the format, but if this is actually a game they have working in some capacity, I'd love them to release it down the line.

Or better yet, a DIY Creepypasta where you're just given a really, really weird game & have to sort the weirdness yourself.

Isn't that basically Undertale?

Petscop 4 seems out of place.

Yeah I didn't get that one either. There's also the other bits without narration (like when he asks the Dildo "remember being born?" or the beginning of the following episode where a bunch of weird stuff happens) that almost feel like a dream sequence in a movie. I like it, it gives away that this is a story to an immersion breaking risk but it maintains in universe coherence unlike the weird bit where he talks about haunted games.

Zubz

Banned
Isn't that basically Undertale?

I mean, I guess if you
edit the files to make Gaster show back up, you get a minor interesting incident if his door & assistants happen to spawn when you do so
? And PSqueak has a good point, too. But if you play the game without hacking or slashing too much, it's just an Indie RPG. A really good one with a battle system that is simultaneously WarioWare & a SHMUP with stellar writing. But still just an Indie RPG.

I'm talking about someone dropping a game like Petscop out there without any explanation. Have it look innocuous but unsettling, with very vague clues towards a further story.

Persona7

Banned
OK so the one part with the carpet clearly shows a road and the blue car you see in an earlier video is also there. So it seems the censored item might relate to the patterns on the carpet in a similar pattern.

The wall in the yellow room has a dog on it while the purple room with the censored object has a flower.

I wonder why they had to censor what was on the table. The other things they will have to "censor" in the future are. 1. A big present with a sticker on it, 2. Something in a wall, in a black house, 3. Written on a chalkboard.

Not sure what the connection is, but maybe someone can put together the pieces. The word censor is in quotation marks, so maybe that is a clue too

Just watched all of them so far, interested to see where it's going.
The way the videos are cut together & narrated is pretty cool, adds to the mystery.
It took me a little while to realise that 'censorship' thing at the end of video 7 is supposed to look like it was added by the guy who made the video and not something that was in the 'game' itself

Kinda hope it isn't going to be another ghost story.
Pretty early on I got the impression it was going to head down the route of the 'game' being originally made as some kind of love letter to a child killer - or a confession from a killer or something. I had just binged 4 episodes of Criminal Minds tho

Nazo

I've watch the most recent video and I don't really understand the need to censor whatever the hell it was they censored. Like, it feels like kind of a cheap narrative trick to get the viewer more artificially interested in the the mystery. Other than that thought I like where this series is going so far.

Capra

The "game" reminds me of something Love-De-Lic would have made, at least in the initial concept before things go all haunted cartridge.

I get the feeling things are going to get really House of Leaves-y eventually - Paul definitely isn't telling us everything, and he keeps mentioning this other person who he really wants to see again. The fact that he also makes references to the game being made for "a specific person" is telling. Within the narrative of the video series, I'll bet Paul made the game himself and is using the creepypasta template to try to get this person's attention.

tesqui

It'd be cool if this was actually developed for PS1 and downloadable. Cause I'd totally burn it to a CD and play it on my PS1. I've been on an old games kick lately.

Persona7

Banned
The "game" reminds me of something Love-De-Lic would have made, at least in the initial concept before things go all haunted cartridge.

I get the feeling things are going to get really House of Leaves-y eventually - Paul definitely isn't telling us everything, and he keeps mentioning this other person who he really wants to see again. The fact that he also makes references to the game being made for "a specific person" is telling. Within the narrative of the video series, I'll bet Paul made the game himself and is using the creepypasta template to try to get this person's attention.

The first thing I noticed when I found out about petscop was the similarity to Moon remix RPG with the "CAUGHT" text.

Mutant

This is extremely well executed and the "censored" part is a pretty damn clever move.

The "face" puzzle mechanic is totally something an esoteric PSX title would have.

eso76

While it's obviously fake, as in not a real 1997 psx game, do you think it may be running on an actual PSX ? maybe done in net yaroze ?
It does such a good job replicating PSone graphics and video output.

Very intriguing and well done, but man the stories it references are...i don't know i have no words.

I've watch the most recent video and I don't really understand the need to censor whatever the hell it was they censored. Like, it feels like kind of a cheap narrative trick to get the viewer more artificially interested in the the mystery. Other than that thought I like where this series is going so far.

I didn't like it as well, I thought it was immersion breaking just like the ghost speech in the last video. The stuff the tool thing says is getting less believable by the minute, I feel this is kind of falling apart. Obviously I'll still watch but the story feels like it's losing steam which is too bad.

UltraMav

I'm hoping Night Mind covers this because it seems like there might be some interesting stuff going on, but the minute-to-minute gameplay is pretty boring, so every time one is released I end up scrubbing through and probably missing a lot of stuff.

I feel like these come out too sporadically and are too short to be very interesting. Anyone who was playing this game would really only play the game for 4 minutes in a week or so? They're also disjointed and edited so that you don't always even know what the player is attempting to do or if it's following the video before.

I'm hoping Night Mind covers this because it seems like there might be some interesting stuff going on, but the minute-to-minute gameplay is pretty boring, so every time one is released I end up scrubbing through and probably missing a lot of stuff.

I THINK this was one of the titles planned for Cabin Fever dreams, but it was dropped when the Real Person links were discovered.

Consider me pleasantly surprised if he does cover it in the future, though!

Ahasverus

This is quite the elaborate creepypasta. The guy who programmed it is very creative with the puzzles and stuff. Should be offered a job.

Zubz

Banned
So that shadow one has a weird, diamondy, glitch head?

I kind of hope this picks back up soon. Stuff seems to be setting up for the meta story w/ the LP'er, at least.

Im curious how he managed to find that nook in the school basement stairway. I mean, sure its a fake game, but if he is trying to a be a believable unsuspecting player this is unusual. I would also assume its a weird glitch and not and important part of progressing.

Cmagus

Im curious how he managed to find that nook in the school basement stairway. I mean, sure its a fake game, but if he is trying to a be a believable unsuspecting player this is unusual. I would also assume its a weird glitch and not and important part of progressing.

It was in the additional developer note he had. While he doesn't mention anything about it the original developer note from the first video said:

I WALKED DOWNSTAIRS AND WHEN I GOT TO THE BOTTOM, INSTEAD OF PROCEEDING,I TURNED TO THE RIGHT AND BECAME A SHADOW MONSTER MAN.

He seems to be getting quieter and I have a feeling this is gonna take a turn and become more about him or something to do with him as this goes further.

It has perspective correction

Yeah, it looks a little bit to smooth to be a real PS1 game. No real texture warping artifacts or swimming vertices. This looks like something that was made in Unity engine with the PS1 styled shadders. But I will admit that it is really well done.

It was in the additional developer note he had. While he doesn't mention anything about it the original developer note from the first video said:

I WALKED DOWNSTAIRS AND WHEN I GOT TO THE BOTTOM, INSTEAD OF PROCEEDING,I TURNED TO THE RIGHT AND BECAME A SHADOW MONSTER MAN.

He seems to be getting quieter and I have a feeling this is gonna take a turn and become more about him or something to do with him as this goes further.
Makes sense, I'll have to watch the first video again to hear that.

Yeah, it looks a little bit to smooth to be a real PS1 game. No real texture warping artifacts or swimming vertices. This looks like something that was made in Unity engine with the PS1 styled shadders. But I will admit that it is really well done.
Didn't late ps1 games have perspective correction?

Makes sense, I'll have to watch the first video again to hear that.

Didn't late ps1 games have perspective correction?

Very few games ever used software perspective correction. The Crash Bandicoot games are one example. But that was also a first party Sony game, and I believe Sony allowed Naughty Dog to gain access to parts of the PS1 hardware that was off limits to third party developers. I also think Tobal No. 2 had some form of perspective correction implemented. But generally, even late era PS1 games still suffered from heavy juddering and texture warping.

Cmagus

I have a feeling that Kotaku is in on this whole thing....

Candace Newmaker's whole story is so sadly tragic, told here at "Advocates for Children in Therapy".

This whole thing feels a little exploitative of a 10 year old girl's horrible death. I don't find it to be in good taste myself, regardless of how much work was put into it.
Well no one knows if it's actually about her though it's just a running theory. If you watch the Dark Mind video linked above he actually discovered that a large portion of it seems to be based off a Dr. Suess book and imo that seems much more plausible rather than the whole Candace Newmaker theory.

It could also be about multiple things though so I do agree that it woukd be hard to 100% percent rule it out. Basically at this point its just gotta play out. That one screen where Paul explained about the censored stuff proved that they've recorded and played more than has been released.

I wonder if that screen was a timeline to how long this will play out because the last video had the big present with a sticker happen. Even though fake its still fascinating to see where this ends up.

Ruflux

Neo Member
Very few games ever used software perspective correction. The Crash Bandicoot games are one example. But that was also a first party Sony game, and I believe Sony allowed Naughty Dog to gain access to parts of the PS1 hardware that was off limits to third party developers.

No they didn't. Former ND guys have brought it up time and again, the whole story about Naughty Dog getting access to special parts of the PS1 hardware was just urban legend, possibly started by other devs of the era who refused to believe what ND did was actually possible on the hardware. Apparently even Sony's internal team failed to replicate Naughty Dog's work. Also ND wasn't a first party back then, they were independently contracted to Universal, with Sony acting as the publisher.

I also feel like I should point out that there's still some warping artifacts going on in the Crash games even with software perspective correction, so it's not like the results would even be perfect. Petscop is obviously not a real PS1 game, but in case anyone needed further proof, then this is it.

Drewboy64

My gut says it's fake, but this is super intriguing.

Can anyone explain what perspective correction is to a clueless person like me?

Persona7

Banned
What the heck can a spinning red triangle even be? Very confusing. You can see the shape as it comes out of the box before it turns red and starts spinning.

Top Bottom