• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie defends Polish politician who believes women are less intelligent than men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neith

Banned
I always thought this guy was an idiot. GAF defended him a lot, but now seems to hate him. Love the SP avatar.

I just got the mellon collie boxset and paid for Billy's dinner at a nice restaurant. :)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Can someone give me a little more details on who Ian Miles Cheong is? I googled, but the websites I see immediately are 4chan/Gamergate stuff, so no thanks.

Unless I'm getting confused, wasn't the guy who made a bunch of dumb edgelord Nazi comments when he was a kid, then became a feminist when he grew up and Gamergate people continued to hold it against him? And then I look at his Twitter, and, uh. Doesn't seem to match.

So I'm not sure if I'm remember wrong or if something bizarre happened.
https://twitter.com/ashleylynch/status/885339356486959105

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
If this were on the gaming side, this thread would be a graveyard.

Haha, pretty much :D People like to pretend those folk don't somehow exist on GAF but yeah, every time these topics come up over in gaming it's a riot.

Nightbird

Why is it that Gaming-Youtubers fall in that alt-right trap so easily?

I refuse to belive that every single one of them started out with those beliefs. It's just too much for me to be a coincidence.

Kind of glad I don't really play games/ think of myself as a gamer anymore. This shit is way more embarrassing than the old stereotype of being a introverted nerd.

Fuck them.

Ozigizo

I refuse to belive that every single one of them started out with those beliefs. It's just too much for me to be a coincidence.

Money. Alt-righters are loyal and loose with cash. Milo fleeced them 3 god damn times, and could probably do it again.

Yeoman

At this stage I believe that the majority of young men between the ages of 16-25 actually hold there views.

Maximo

I mean they tend to be white men on average make more money and have more cash to throw around, its profitable and nothing is more profitable then raising a tribal uprising around you in a common cause while telling them how much of a victim you are.

Magwik

Banned

I refuse to believe that every single one of them started out with those beliefs. It's just too much for me to be a coincidence.
I actually think the answer is relatively easy. Either A) they want the money and fear their own base or B) they were created by the internet. YouTube's lack of actions and it's handling of comments pretty much created an environment that thrives off hate and these groups begin to flourish. On top of that, a lot of early adopters of the platforms and for gaming more than likely fall into the subsets that came to the internet and video games to escape from the real world. They then participate in these vastly male centered clubs and communites, and from there on the ball gets rolling.

Oh and option C) They were just garbage human beings to begin with and had to flee to the internet because their friends and family and communities rejected them.

Hex

Banned
Piece of shit "Youtube celebrity" (it is fucking absurd to even type that out and look at it) says something stupid yet again, and people act all shock and awe.
Yet people on the gaming side and other will still act like this youtube person's opinion and his existence means jack or shit in the scheme of things and capitulate to the stupidity and continue the cycle while wracking up a never ending laundry list of other youtube idols to hang on their every word

Magwik

Banned
Question: Are there any other Youtubers calling out PewDiePie for what he's said?
That's a funny joke

Come back when Boogie walks back saying "cleansing the gene pool" is just a different opinion we should all try out.

Almost all of these people are garbage and will defend each other like a cult.

Nightbird

Money. Alt-righters are loyal and loose with cash. Milo fleeced them 3 god damn times, and could probably do it again.

I mean they tend to be white men on average make more money and have more cash to throw around, its profitable and nothing is more profitable then raising a tribal uprising around you in a common cause while telling them how much of a victim you are.

I could see this being the case, i think greed definitely plays a factor in this.

At this stage I believe that the majority of young men between the ages of 16-25 actually hold there views.

At this stage i wouldn't blame you. It really has become baffling how common place this is.

I actually think the answer is relatively easy. Either A) they want the money and fear their own base or B) they were created by the internet. YouTube's lack of actions and it's handling of comments pretty much created an environment that thrives off hate and these groups begin to flourish. On top of that, a lot of early adopters of the platforms and for gaming more than likely fall into the subsets that came to the internet and video games to escape from the real world. They then participate in these vastly male centered clubs and communites, and from there on the ball gets rolling.

Oh and option C) They were just garbage human beings to begin with and had to flee to the internet because their friends and family and communities rejected them.

I'd say it's a mix of A) and B), with some having C) also included

KarmaCow

The cycle seems to be they say or do something dumb and get called out on it. Then instead of having that be a learning experience, they fall with their sycophantic base that think their favourite YouTuber can do no wrong. This happens over and over, they keep doubling down until they hit moral bankruptcy.

That argumentary seems straight out of Sargon, which he is friends with.

No wonder he's falling throught the alt-right hole, like many of us were saying since his nazi jokes, but ppl defended anyway.

Bedlam

Kind of glad I don't really play games/ think of myself as a gamer anymore. This shit is way more embarrassing than the old stereotype of being a introverted nerd.

Fuck them.
As I said back at the height of Gamergate: I'm not going to surrender my hobby or even the term "gamer" to alt-right gaming nazis. That's completely the wrong signal.

The cycle seems to be they say or do something dumb and get called out on it. Then instead of having that be a learning experience, they fall with their sycophantic base that think their favourite YouTuber can do no wrong. This happens over and over, they keep doubling down until they hit moral bankruptcy.

No one wants to think of themselves as a bad guy or having done something wrong. But if you double down on being doubly as wrong and bad then you don't have to acknowledge it!

As I said back at the height of Gamergate: I'm not going to surrender my hobby or even the term "gamer" to alt-right gaming nazis. That's completely the wrong signal.

Well it isnt an individuals call to make. Gamers are stigmatized as woman hating, scumbag defending - man children who playfully throw around far right terminology. And there are more than enough examples that proof that stigma.

I really don't want to be associated with that.

Haunted

It's insane that someone who got popular with one kind of thing can suddenly influence kids in all other areas of life.

We need to educate our kids today to look for experts in their field for their opinions, and not popular celebrities.

You're basing this on a handful of YouTubers. You just don't hear about all the others who aren't alt-right

Some gaming youtubers went from internet celebrity to, like, celebrity celebrity. This increased their fanbase to the point where people start to criticize them more and they're under a bigger microscope.

So, for example, they say nigger during a video. They get criticized for it. Well, they think, black people say that all the time! Clearly I don't need to apologize for it, it's a double standard! So they don't apologize and people keep bringing it up. They, for every good reason, get called racist by some. Then other people will have the youtuber's back; actually, man, you're right, it is a double-standard, those people who are criticizing you are overreactive fucks! By the way, have you heard of this guy Milo? You'd like his shit.

Soon, they start only listening to the people that support them, and those people are alt-right loons who believe you should be able to do anything and say anything as long as it's not about them. If you're a big youtuber who got thrust into the limelight without the time to acclimate to criticism, this way of thinking is really appealing. It feeds into the idea that everything is everyone else's fault and people only hate you because of your success.

This can also just exasperate poisonous thoughts they already had before this. It is unlikely someone became a white supremacist just because people criticized them for saying nigger, but they didn't feel safe being vocal about it until the Criticism Loop gave them the perceived support they needed to come out.

In summary, you're right. Every single one of them probably did not start with these beliefs, but some did. They all end up in the same place, though, because they can't handle a reality where something they did was absolutely wrong.

Well it isnt an individuals call to make. Gamers are stigmatized as woman hating, scumbag defending - man children who playfully throw around far right terminology. And there are more than enough examples that proof that stigma.

I really don't want to be associated with that.
No they aren't.

ISOM

I always thought this guy was an idiot. GAF defended him a lot, but now seems to hate him. Love the SP avatar.

I just got the mellon collie boxset and paid for Billy's dinner at a nice restaurant. :)

It always irritates me when people refer to gaf as a collective for topics like these. He had as much haters as he had defenders on here.

legacyzero

Banned
I was one that defended Felix with his last fight with WSJ. It was all out of context BS that everyone just picked and raged over. He did a fucking dumb thing. But I'm not sure it was intended as anti-Semitic. That said, I don't have anything to say here because I don't know much about he wage gap argument. I hear both sides making solid arguments (at least for the American wage gap). I know a lot of fuss is being made in Hollywood about equal pay. But isn't that a bit different?

So If anybody has links and proof, etc, I'd love to see it. I genuinely don't know much about it.
Name a positive attachment that the term "Gamer" has with it.
Ask how much the industry is making profit wise. That's a positive right? Otherwise, but the left and the right have just shat all over it over the last 30 years
"Gamer" is considered a bad word now? By who?

The more you learn...
People who don't like labels, is best I can tell. I'm proud to be a gamer. Gaming was mostly attacked from the right concerning violence, etc. then came the gamer gate era. Then it just became a war of toxicity, demonization, and far left-far-right shit flinging while everybody in the middle just wanted to play games.
All that seemed to cool down at least until Vidcon when big wigs of both sides had it out and caused more controversy.

cromofo

"Gamer" is considered a "bad word" now? By who?

The more you learn...
People who don't like labels, is best I can tell. I'm proud to be a gamer. Gaming was mostly attacked from the right concerning violence, etc. then came the gamer gate era. Then it just became a war of toxicity, demonization, and far left-far-right shit flinging while everybody in the middle just wanted to play games.
All that seemed to cool down at least until Vidcon when big wigs of both sides had it out and caused more controversy.

I see.

I'm with you. I don't see being a "gamer" and identifying as one as something bad.

As they say, you are the company that you keep.
Dont forget his friendship with Sargon. He clearly hides more questionable political opinions, same for that one ginger guy who says he wouldnt associate with Sarkeesian but will go on Sargons podcast knowing well the garbage he espouses.

legacyzero

Banned
It's not a bad word, but as a grown adult, I don't want to be at all associated with any of the shit the "gamers" have done over the years.
How can you even lift a paint brush that big? If anything, the toxic part of gaming is minor in the scope of it all. Having attended E3 this year, this is more apparent to me now more than ever.

If anything, I would think that people on this board, and even the "SJW" types would fight to retake the word and own it the way it should be. In a 35 year old husband, father, and leadership at my 50K salary job. I'm not afraid to say I'm a gamer, and nobody has ever looked at me with disgust, cringe, or respected me any less.

So the "Im a gamer but don't call me a gamer!" Mentality is just strange to me. Just like the gymnastics of people trying to talk their way around it. "I go watch a lot of movies, but I'm not a movie-er!" It's just weird. In a world where progressives get pissed for being mislabeled, and or called the wrong label even inadvertently, its strange people wouldn't want to defend a good label that is being a gamer.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The label gamer isn't bad by itself but in context of what has happened in the last few years its kind of hard to ignore the connotation that has risen up around it, very much because a group of utterly abhorrent disgusting losers has basically stolen the term and attached it to their misogynistic, racist, trolling bull shit. It doesn't matter if it is a minority of the community because that minority is often louder, more resilient, and in your face than the rest of the community combined.

If you do consider yourself a gamer I find it funny that this doesn't concern you because it should. If you care so much about your hobby then you would want to do everything to quash this group of Ne'er-do-well's who are tainting something you love so much and spend so much time doing. Sitting on the sidelines and going,"I just want to play games" does more to hurt that label as it allows the shit birds to run rampant, than it does to actually do something, even if its something small.

Harmen

I think he is wrong in waving these issues away like this. And this time instead of a failed miserable joke he actively sought out to share his political opinions, so I hope he gets notable flack for this.

Also, since I see a lot of remarks about the last situation, I'll share my reflection on that as well.

I "defended" him during the last controversy, but it is not like I am on PDP's side for doing that. Mind you, I did not agree with PDP in the first place, it was a piss poor joke and he failed to give it a nuance that makes certain comedians and/or shows funny and respectful, but I could see where he was going for. I thought the reporting on the instance left things to be desired and there was misinformation being thrown around in the thread (because yes, context matters to me in regards to having a discussion). So I worded those thoughts. The people in that thread who where up to actual debate, however, did remind me of some matters I hadn't thought about initially, so I did not come to the same conclusion as when I entered the thread (which is the point of a discussion in the first place, to me at least). In the end, he most certainly got punished for it and rightfully so, but I also think the media can do a better job at reporting the issues of youtube, which are widespread and highly influential on the future generation. That said, since then a lot has likely happened and I haven't really kept up.

Also, keep in mind that last time around the guy had plenty of recent videos with the likes of Jacksepticeye and Markiplier, which seem like lovable dudes. And he had the whole charity event and all. So in my mind he seemed like a decent guy. I still don't think he is like this evil guy trying to lure people to far right or something, but I do think he and the YT community as a whole have a (sometimes severe) lack of responsibility (and yt itself). But seeing him share stuff of the likes of Sargon is definitely troubling to say the least, I agree with you guys on that. I am not aware he is actual friends with those people though.

How can you even lift a paint brush that big? If anything, the toxic part of gaming is minor in the scope of it all. Having attended E3 this year, this is more apparent to me now more than ever.

If anything, I would think that people on this board, and even the "SJW" types would fight to retake the word and own it the way it should be. In a 35 year old husband, father, and leadership at my 50K salary job. I'm not afraid to say I'm a gamer, and nobody has ever looked at me with disgust, cringe, or respected me any less.

So the "Im a gamer but don't call me a gamer!" Mentality is just strange to me. Just like the gymnastics of people trying to talk their way around it. "I go watch a lot of movies, but I'm not a movie-er!" It's just weird. In a world where progressives get pissed for being mislabeled, and or called the wrong label even inadvertently, its strange people wouldn't want to defend a good label that is being a gamer.
Gaming is just a hobby. People that call themselves gamers seem to find that a large part of their identity. I just see it as one of many things someone is, so I don't see a need to defend the term. It means nothing. You like playing videogames, cool, everybody does, but that single thing shouldn't define you as a person.

Looking at "gamers" as a social identifier, the most vocal group within that identifier are sexists & racists, whilst the push-back against bigotry really doesn't exist.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Looking at "gamers" as a social identifier, the most vocal group within that identifier are sexists & racists, whilst the push-back against bigotry really doesn't exist.

This is my point. If people cared about the Gamer label at all they'd be a lot more concerned its quickly, we're talking lightning fast, becoming a tag associated with the absolute worst parts of humanity who revel in the fact they're terrible people and want to target everyone and anyone who doesn't give them or their agenda the time of day, or worse talks back to them. Don't say you care when you ain't going to do jack shit about it or even worse, tell other's its no big deal, you just wanna play videogames.

For me, gamer is most closely associated with people who have no desire to transform the culture from being represented by its worst actors.

Which is also not a label I care to hoist upon myself.

This is my point. If people cared about the Gamer label at all they'd be a lot more concerned its quickly, we're talking lightning fast, becoming a tag associated with the absolute worst parts of humanity who revel in the fact they're terrible people and want to target everyone and anyone who doesn't give them or their agenda the time of day, or worse talks back to them. Don't say you care when you ain't going to do jack shit about it or even worse, tell other's its no big deal, you just wanna play videogames.

I agree completely.
When I tell people that I like games, I do also talk about the structural racist + sexist undercurrents of the industry and gaming community . It is intrinsically linked.
Gaming isn't an innocent nostalgia fix anymore, if it ever was.

I stopped calling myself a gamer a couple of years ago, when I realized it just came off as me saying "I play with toys".

I love the medium, and will probably never stop playing games, but it just comes off as cringy to hear people labelling themselves by it.

In general, I stopped with labelling myself. I just say what I like, and then they'll have to get to know me to know I love movies, music and games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom