• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peyton Manning is a pretty big piece of shit: A Shaun King expose for NY Daily News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Nothing about any of your posts are feel-good, man.

Just try to at the least pay attention to the thread you're shitting in.

Sorry, Bobby, I was actually reading the story--which is in stark contrast to the shoot-from-the-hip mentality clearly on display in this thread.

As for shitting up this thread, it was pretty shitty from post 1. But, hey, next time I'll just do us both a favor and avoid any thread you create. I think that's fair trade.

knicks

I was reading this on wikipedia the other week, and I'm positive it wasn't there before. I follow football pretty closely, and have never heard of this story before. Pretty shocking stuff though, without a doubt changes my perspective of him.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2003-11-04-manning-suit_x.htm?AID=10709313&PID=6149513&SID=iklndilsen00ag8y014ak
The court record includes a letter to Manning from former Tennessee cross country runner Malcolm Saxon, who Manning said was the intended target of the mooning. Written in December 2002, the letter reads, in part: "Bro, you have tons of class, but you have shown no mercy or grace to this lady who was on her knees seeing if you had a stress fracture. ...

"She was minding her own business when your book came out. Peyton, the way I see it, at this point, you are going to take a hit either way, if you settle out of court or if it goes to court. You might as well maintain some dignity and admit to what happened. ... Your celebrity doesn't mean you can treat folks that way. ... Do the right thing here."
Malcolm Saxon was in the room when the incident occurred. I dont understand why Manning continued to shit on Naughtright and resurrect the story, it makes him look worse.

Ric Flair

Banned
Sorry, Bobby, I was actually reading the story--which is in stark contrast to the shoot-from-the-hip mentality clearly on display in this thread.

As for shitting up this thread, it was pretty shitty from post 1. But, hey, next time I'll just do us both a favor and avoid any thread you create. I think that's fair trade.

Dude, you're coming off like a total Peyton homer in this thread. How do you explain the dude Peyton was supposedly mooning telling him to give it up and apologize to the trainer? Why would she lie? Bro, why would she lie? She makes good money doing what she does, really good money. She literally had 0 incentive to come out and lie.

So while the white QB gets away with sexual assualt the black QB who dances in the endzone is painted as the guy with the questionable (inappropriate) behavior. Yeah that makes total sense. NFL should stand for No F***ing Logic. As much as I do love football, there are certain things within the sport that irritate me.

TIL one incident 20 years ago makes you a piece of shit for life and your subsequent behaviour completely irrelevant.
His "subsequent behaviour" in regards to the incident is shitty and borderline harassment. All he had to do was shut the fuck about the incident and follow the terms of the settlement, but no, he has to bring it up in a book, mail the poor woman's office a harassing letter, then talk shit about her again on ESPN.

This is like a series of incidents, not one.

p2535748

TIL one incident 20 years ago makes you a piece of shit for life and your subsequent behaviour completely irrelevant.

Please stop saying this (not you directly, it's just a sentiment a few people have thrown around).

If this stuff is true he's a piece of shit because:

1. He sexually assaulted a woman
2. He proceeded to lie about it
3. He has never admitted or apologized for it
4. He (or his family) went out of their way to destroy the woman's credibility and career because she exposed it, going so far as to make horrible and racist comments about her and publishing a book that defames her.

Again, I am not saying all of this is true, that he's guilty or that he's a piece of shit. I'm saying that people need to stop making this a youthful indiscretion. If what this alleges is true, it continues all the way up until today.

Borman

Again I already said that it was nothing like the sexual harassment, but things that would be considered cheating by just about anyone isn't exactly the perfect picture either. Im sorry that the pictures from the pre-good-iPhone days dont exist. You're also talking about something that was years ago now, so Im not going to fill in details of things that I myself am shaky of, just that Eli isn't a perfect role model either. Sure, frat boy behavior, but that isn't something you would want to see out of an engaged football player.

KingV

I think it's his actions afterward that really make him a piece of shit. Yeah, what he did 20 years ago was wrong, but he could have apologized, been remorseful, and taken his licks.

Instead he went out of his way to tear someone down that had decided to let bygones be bygones.

It's okay though, because he doesn't dance and walk out on media questions.
And he doesn't hear a hoodie while on TV.

Honest question: why are a lot (not majority, but it seems like a large number) of professional athletes complete douches? Is it the fame and money thing where they think they can do no wrong? Or is it just human nature?

Yikes, this FoxSports article goes full out victim blaming:
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/peyton-manning-newest-target-of-fake-internet-outrage-brigade-021316
Regardless, the trainer filed a lawsuit, claiming that despite the fact that Manning didn't name her in the book and said his behavior was inappropriate, everyone at her new place of employment was now aware of her past history and it was causing problems for her at work. (I would have loved to have argued the other side of this case. "Really? So everyone on your new college campus read Peyton Manning's book and even though you weren't named in it and it was a couple of paragraphs from a several hundred page book, they identified you as the trainer in question from a decade ago? And now you can't do your job? If you really wanted to move on from a 1996 prank wouldn't you, you know, NOT FILE A LAWSUIT NAMING YOURSELF AS THE UNNAMED TRAINER FROM HIS BOOK." But maybe this makes too much sense.)
Her colleagues found out who she was because Manning mailed her office a letter addressed to "Dr. Vulgar Mouth Whited", her married name at University of Tennessee.
But, of course, this isn't really about Peyton Manning at all.

It's just a fake black guy trying to race hustle.

And failing.

Once more.

Yeah this is going to get ugly.

Yikes, this FoxSports article goes full out victim blaming:
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/peyton-manning-newest-target-of-fake-internet-outrage-brigade-021316

Her colleagues found out who she was because Manning mailed her office a letter addressed to "Dr. Vulgar Mouth Whited", her married name at University of Tennessee.

Yeah this is going to get ugly.

But, of course, this isn't really about Peyton Manning at all.

It's just a fake black guy trying to race hustle.

And failing.

Once more.

What the fuck is this shit?

Pretty sure you could dig up this kinda stuff on any NFL QB. I know off the top of my head Jameis Winston had similar stuff brushed under the rug, and it's not uncommon for these things to be "handled internally" when the athletes in question are accused.

KingKong

So while the white QB gets away with sexual assualt the black QB who dances in the endzone is painted as the guy with the questionable (inappropriate) behavior. Yeah that makes total sense. NFL should stand for No F***ing Logic. As much as I do love football, there are certain things within the sport that irritate me.

I think history has shown that both white and black QBs get away with sexual assault

Again I already said that it was nothing like the sexual harassment, but things that would be considered cheating by just about anyone isn't exactly the perfect picture either. Im sorry that the pictures from the pre-good-iPhone days dont exist. You're also talking about something that was years ago now, so Im not going to fill in details of things that I myself am shaky of, just that Eli isn't a perfect role model either. Sure, frat boy behavior, but that isn't something you would want to see out of an engaged football player.
So Eli *may* have cheated on his girlfriend. So he's like the majority of men in the world? Pretty weak stuff there man, especially when compared to sexual harassment and defamation.

mrpookles

I'm a huge NFL fan that doesn't live in the US... can someone explain how Manning gets to cruise through shit like this, the HGH, etc.?

I wasn't aware of this particular disgusting story, but I'm not surprised it's being swept aside by other media outlets.

Yes, I'm a Pats fan, but even in Australia our ESPN became unwatchable for 6 months because Brady was apparently the worst human being on Earth.

I'm a huge NFL fan that doesn't live in the US... can someone explain how Manning gets to cruise through shit like this, the HGH, etc.?

I wasn't aware of this particular disgusting story, but I'm not surprised it's being swept aside by other media outlets.

Yes, I'm a Pats fan, but even in Australia our ESPN became unwatchable for 6 months because Brady was apparently the worst human being on Earth.

Hes one of the greatest QBs of all time with a carefully managed image and a lot of friends in the media who make him somewhat bulletproof to criticism.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Well the act took place in College
NCAA is a good ol' boys style corporation
Some players are treated like "Made men", "Untouchable"
Made NCAA money, left legacy, prestige
Repeat in NFL

Manning gets by with a lot due to lineage of last name
NFL's premier prototype of how a QB should be
Marketable, Presentable, but most important be an Obident follower to the shield, if you are, you're protected

Pey Pey can literally be washed of his sins, NFL will make sure of that
Golden Goose

Likability goes a long way. Also a media darling. Brady gets fucked with due to bias from national media making him to play the villain role.

I'm a Broncos fan saying this lol
I'm just happy my team won SB50, happy for Ware + Von Miller. Manning got away with it, its those things that aren't new.

Sports always have these transgressions that get swept under the rug.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

This is totally anecdotal evidence but I went to SUNY Albany when the Giants still held their training camp and used to drink at a bar across the street from campus and pissing distance from the fields. 25 cent wings and good ones.

Players would often come in and get drunk. Some just drank and talked, some got fucked up and so on and everything in between. I saw Eli once and side could not hold his liquor. Was kind of funny actually and I made a joke about him being better at throwing darts than footballs. Seems like he got wasted easy and that's no excuse for shitty behavior of course

You know who was a real fucking asshole though? Jeremy Shockey. Guy got blasted,never tipped and was like a stereotypical jock out of some 80s movie. I was waiting for him to start showing off his Cobra Kai gi or something

Two Words

Somebody was saying the other day that if Peyton Manning tore down an opposing fan's banner and pissed on it, we'd all hate him. I doubt it.

I can't agree with any of this. Was Manning ever hauled over the coals for this? Has he not had other incidents of shitty behavior that were glossed over most recently the fact that he sent thugs who misrepresented themselves to intimidate that pharmaceutical employee? You really think that people will stop talking about Cam's laptop incident ever?

I'm not really a fan of this kind of tit for tat reporting to contrast Manning and Newton's treatment but trying act like there isn't a foundation for it is disingenuous .
I feel so disconnected because I've been following the NFL extensively and I haven't heard a single thing about Cam's laptop incident since he was in college. People have been praising him since he entered the NFL from everything I've seen. But he loses the Super Bowl, after jumping away from his fumble, then walks out on the press. Of course he's going to get a little flak now, a white QB in the same situation would be getting just as much. We'll see how it goes moving forward, but I'm betting he'll be successful and people will continue to love him.

Flakster99

Detestable human being. Shame this happened at a time when social media wasn't prominent. As it is, it's been mostly swept under the rug.

Peyton isn't perfect, but he's a million tines better than Brady.

What the fuck does that have to do with this thread?

Striker

You told 'em.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Saw this on reddit a few hours ago. A lot of the responses were bitching about the fact that Shaun King has a history of "race baiting" in his articles and that his article on Peyton should be discredited. SMH.

Sheroking

Peyton isn't perfect, but he's a million tines better than Brady.

What has Brady been accused of? That is a legitimate question, because I know there are some cheating allegations, but that shit doesn't even come close to sexual assaulting a girl.

Brady a wife-beater? Has he been accused of sexual assault?

I feel so disconnected because I've been following the NFL extensively and I haven't heard a single thing about Cam's laptop incident since he was in college. People have been praising him since he entered the NFL from everything I've seen. But he loses the Super Bowl, after jumping away from his fumble, then walks out on the press. Of course he's going to get a little flak now, a white QB in the same situation would be getting just as much. We'll see how it goes moving forward, but I'm betting he'll be successful and people will continue to love him.

I don't think that it gets mentioned much in the sports media but it's used as a slight against him pretty constantly on social media.

These are pretty different times though, it would have been impossible for Payton to have been accused of something like this today and bury it the way it has been all these years.

... Although he's done a pretty good job burying this HGH story so far so maybe I'm wrong "/

Griss

Thought we all knew this.

Dude grew up, became a good person. People do far worse than that and get rehabilitated. Fuck it, I'm still a fan. Don't give a shit.

Amazing that people would drag this back up now, though. Some angry Panthers fans out there, tell ya what.

Dude grew up, became a good person.

That doesn't seem to be the case though on either count.

Also, I'm unsure why so many responses to this are people volunteering the information that their capacity for surprise is fairly low. I don't think the story, such as it is, should be weighed on how surprised anyone is by the fact powerful people can and do abuse that power, although if people are surprised by the details being laid out in this story, I don't think that's a bad thing, either.

Two Words

Thought we all knew this.

Dude grew up, became a good person. People do far worse than that and get rehabilitated. Fuck it, I'm still a fan. Don't give a shit.

Amazing that people would drag this back up now, though. Some angry Panthers fans out there, tell ya what.
Funny how Peyton's past is the one that gets to stay in the past. On the other hand, you've got players like Dez Bryant being treated like a nutcase that shouldn't get paid all because he grew up in a broken home. There's a clear reason why these things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom